Places to Stop along Camp Drop Off - WV

jandres374

Heading out Sunday to drop the kids at sleep away camp. One is in Yellow Spring, WV and the other in Bartow, WV. On our way home Sunday we plan on stopping at Flint Hill Public House for an early dinner - is this a good choice, we have never been.

Our main dilemma is our return trip to pick up in 2 weeks, pick up is on Saturday morning. We are planning to head out Friday night and find some place to stay/eat. Couple options we are considering, looking for feedback or other options:

Ashby Inn (Paris) - stay and eat here

One Block West (Winchester)

Element (Front Royal)

Our main dilemma is our return trip to pick up in 2 weeks, pick up is on Saturday morning. We are planning to head out Friday night and find some place to stay/eat. Couple options we are considering, looking for feedback or other options:

Ashby Inn (Paris) - stay and eat here

One Block West (Winchester)

Element (Front Royal)

I've been to all of these places and while I liked them all, there is just no comparison between the Ashby Inn and the other two. The Ashby is one of the best restaurants in the greater DC area -- top 5 for sure. And the accommodations at the Inn are lovely as well. It's a special occasion type place. In fact, I just celebrated my birthday there with dinner and an overnight last week. My recommended room choice is the Glascock Room -- it's the only room we've ever stayed in, and we've stayed there 4 times. Obviously, this would be my number one choice if you want to make it a special night -- and why not? It's your last night alone as a couple before picking up the kids, right? If you decide on the Ashby, get on the phone immediately to book dinner and a room, especially on a weekend night.

• Like 1

We're also heading to WV, but with kid, for a weekend in the Seneca Rocks area. I'm told on the Intrepid Traveler boards that the best place in Moorefield WV isn't really worth eating at, so we'll plan to eat in. But for the trip there and back, between NoVa and the Moorefield WV area, any recommendations for casual places to stop and eat? The Ashby Inn isn't what we're looking for this trip - someplace we can go very casually-dressed is what we need. If BBQ, there needs to be a non-pork option as well.

Thanks!

Edit: One Block West and Element both look casual (and great - I really want to try One Block West), but are both closed Sundays and may not work for us on Friday since they recommend reservations and who knows about traffic. Would love something even more casual than these for the trip there (something where reservations aren't needed), and a Sunday option for the trip back.

We're also heading to WV, but with kid, for a weekend in the Seneca Rocks area. I'm told on the Intrepid Traveler boards that the best place in Moorefield WV isn't really worth eating at, so we'll plan to eat in. But for the trip there and back, between NoVa and the Moorefield WV area, any recommendations for casual places to stop and eat? The Ashby Inn isn't what we're looking for this trip - someplace we can go very casually-dressed is what we need. If BBQ, there needs to be a non-pork option as well.

Thanks!

Edit: One Block West and Element both look casual (and great - I really want to try One Block West), but are both closed Sundays and may not work for us on Friday since they recommend reservations and who knows about traffic. Would love something even more casual than these for the trip there (something where reservations aren't needed), and a Sunday option for the trip back.

I've been to Element twice and liked it both times. It's small, so you might want to call them.

Thanks!

Moorefield restaurants aren't bad, my brother stopped at O'Neil's recently and reported back decently. If you want better choices you can go to Thomas or Davis, Sirriani's is a serious pizza and pasta joint that has been there forever and has great food (RIP the jukebox). Mutley's there has good steak. The Purple fiddle normally has good live music and food. There is also a decent restaurant at White Grass, but it might only be open in ski season, I'm not sure. But the roads are windy, and planning on cooking probably isn't a bad idea. As a note you won't have cell service as often as you are used to so if you are driving you might want GPS or a bit of an idea where you are going or have it pulled up beforehand in case your cell goes into a no service area.There are some other places in Thomas and Davis. We go there a good bit. On the drive we like the KaKaPoon Restaurant for country food, it's in Wardensville. Good fried chicken, pork chops, pie etc. There is also a great little farm stand in Virginia before you hit the WV line (I assume you are taking Corridor H, if you aren't you should.) It is definitely worth a stop if they are open, pretty sure the town is Lebanon Church.

On our way home Sunday we plan on stopping at Flint Hill Public House for an early dinner - is this a good choice, we have never been.

Yes! I've been there a couple of times and have enjoyed it very much each time.

We ended up stopping here and it was ok. Not sure I would go out of my way to return. We arrived around 5 pm to a nearly empty restaurant. Service was great and they have a nice deal going on with bottles of wine all priced at $25.

We started with a crab dip, which was fine with the exception there was barely any crab.

Wife and the filet and it was a nice piece of meat and cooked perfect to medium-rare. I had the sirloin and fried shrimp. My steak was overcooked - asked for medium rare but was cooked to medium to medium-well. It came with a healthy portion of fried shrimp.

Thanks for the recommendation for Kac-Ka-Pon in Wardensville, WV!  http://www.kackaponrestaurant.com/  We stopped there and were quite happy with our meal:  two of us had pulled pork sandwiches and sweet potato waffle fries, one had a special of haddock over rice and a veggie side, and the kids had hot dogs and hamburgers (though I tried to sell them on the fried chicken).  All was tasty, and good sauce on the pulled pork.  Pie for dessert:  coconut meringue for me, which I was very happy with (I don't see that often), apple for another (served hot with ice cream), and the menu also had blueberry, lemon meringue, chocolate, and a mixed berry pie.  Very friendly and chatty (but not overly so) waitress.

On the trip home, we stopped at The Rail Stop in The Plains, VA, where we've been for brunch a few years ago.  It was a little fancier than I'd remembered (we'd called for a reservation and made sure that we'd be OK in T-shirts and shorts, but I felt underdressed) and a little more expensive than I'd thought, but since we'd cooked all weekend and eaten cheaply on the trip down, people didn't mind.  Everyone was very pleased with their dinners:  crab cakes in chive beurre blanc, rockfish with the same sauce, mussels in curry sauce, housemade ravioli with ricotta.  The waitress was very nice and accommodating with the kids (offered to do pasta for one of them with the red sauce from another dish, though he ended up with the chicken and mashed potatoes), and they all liked their meals too (rockfish, crab cakes, steak, chicken, pasta).

Glad you had a good trip.  I think more and more people will be visiting Lost River, Seneca Rocks and Smoke Hole Canyon now that Corridor H is built.  They are genuinely beautiful areas that are so close.  I think parts of the Smoke Hole are reminiscent of Yosemite in some ways, without any of the amenities at this point.