Administrative Announcement - Use Email Address To Sign In

DonRocks

I just found two links in a row to the SOMM documentary film that required passwords - both were less than one year old.

All, please use common sense when inserting links of *any* type.

1) Don't put links in for media with a paywall. (Sorry, Wall Street Journal - this means you)

2) Please use a website for pictures that you think has a good chance to exist 5 years from now. Have you noticed I've been using beeradvocate.com a lot in the pumpkin ale thread instead of pictures from websites such as xyzz.ru./dyyyh/Rus/pux.rtl?

3) Simplicity, longevity, free to the public. Those are your three criteria for inserting links.

If only a pay-site has a link, go ahead, but please mark it as such and issue an appropriate warning. To a lesser degree, this includes password-protected sites such as Facebook, but not as much.

Obviously, these will become problematic over the years, but we want to minimize things.

A lot of posts from 2005 have broken links now because the websites no longer exist, or have put up paywalls, etc. That is why I'm bringing this up - it's really just good, common sense, but not necessarily something someone would think about unless they were a website administrator.

I either dreamt this in my sleep last night, having fallen asleep over a great book, or was in a hypnagogic state, seconds away from sleep - I'm not sure which.

There have been several times in my life when I've dreamt things that turned out to be wonderful ideas, and I think this is one of them.

I'm going to start a forum devoted to Fine Arts, with sub-forums for Literature, Film, Theater, Music, Art, and any other medium people want. I'm going to have a single thread in the Literature sub-forum, for example, for the book I just finished, "The Bridge On The Drina." I also just finished a biography of Cezanne, and we'll begin a Cezanne thread in the Art sub-forum. Many of these will have no responses, perhaps not even for years, but I would be clinging onto every single word that anyone had to say about, for example, The Bridge On The Drina. I think that, to some degree, this was inspired by a joke posting of Gravity which turned out to be a marvelous little thread - "‹I've read every post in it, and have enjoyed every single word written.

The downside of this is that nobody will participate (refer to our Professionals and Businesses Forum which has been my single biggest disappointment running this website, or better still, our tongue-in-cheek Spanish Classifieds Forum which wasn't intended to be tongue-in-cheek, but with its level of participation, how can you not laugh?) But other than a sparsely populated forum, I see no harm in doing this. Since it would be its own entity, people could simply ignore it. But I'm going to go ahead and start it ... no guts, no glory. And yes, Gravity will be our first film in the Films sub-forum. Well, why not.

If people are interested, I'd also like to perform The Great Experiment: a single, barely-moderated thread whose content will be split off and organized into other threads and indexed accordingly, so while it may start off as a single, open-ended dialogue, my consummate organization, classification, and database skills, will turn it into a non-linear, indexed base of data and knowledge. I wonder if this has ever been tried before - I'm pretty sure I can pull it off. Are there any opinions about this? I still think that three things should be verboten: politics, religion, and personal attacks (even if the person being attacked is a celebrity). If we do this, I'd actually like for people to take it seriously, and *have a conversation*; not just chime in with one-word responses completely devoid of content (smileys are always welcome, however). I would maintain both forward and backward links, so mathematically, even an enormous, multi-million post behemoth could, in theory, be merged back into one, single thread. I think it's an interesting concept, and I would view it both as a work of art and a personal challenge. I'd like to try - anyone else have any thoughts? And, who should be the very first poster? Perhaps I could find something written by Member Number One, the mother of us all.

• Like 2

Does Pat Conroy apply to your definition of literature, Don?   My fave author and the source of a variety of movies.   Torturous family environments, twisted perspectives, the beauty of the South Carolina Coastal region, and absolutely gorgeous writing.  If he qualifies I'm in.  He'll travel around the country, give talks, engage fans and sign books.  Unfortunately the only time I paid attention to that opportunity in this region was one time when he had to cancel due to illness and so I missed him.   

Does Pat Conroy apply to your definition of literature, Don?   My fave author and the source of a variety of movies.   Torturous family environments, twisted perspectives, the beauty of the South Carolina Coastal region, and absolutely gorgeous writing.  If he qualifies I'm in.  He'll travel around the country, give talks, engage fans and sign books.  Unfortunately the only time I paid attention to that opportunity in this region was one time when he had to cancel due to illness and so I missed him.   

Yeah, well, we're waiting ...

Feel free to start a thread for "Pat Conroy" or one for any given book he wrote. (This is getting into the hierarchical database structure that I'm such a God at designing and organizing.) The more data, the better. Bring it on. If we get massive amounts of data, you'll see what a thing of beauty proper hierarchical organization can be. I know I sound like an accountant, or a computer scientist, but remember I have degrees in both. :)

We've had a Sports forum for almost an hour, and nobody has posted about the Alabama-Auburn game? Or that RG3 is being chased down by defensive ends? Or that John Wall can transition as fast as anyone in the league? Or that Secretariat was pumped with more steroids in one week than Lance Armstrong was in a lifetime? Are you kidding me?

Well, some of us are working...:D

So, under, say, movies, you want one thread per movie? And can it be any movie or should it be considered "fine arts"? For instance, I'd be happy to expound upon my love for the movie Dredd, and why everyone should support their efforts for sequels, but by no means could one consider that "fine art" at least IMHO...

Well, some of us are working... :D

So, under, say, movies, you want one thread per movie? And can it be any movie or should it be considered "fine arts"? For instance, I'd be happy to expound upon my love for the movie Dredd, and why everyone should support their efforts for sequels, but by no means could one consider that "fine art" at least IMHO...

You could start a thread for a movie, an actor or actress, a director, a year, a studio, a production company, a producer, a genre, and yes, any movie can be considered fine arts, just like any contemporary act can be considered music (well, almost any contemporary act - still on the fence about Rebecca Black). By all means, start a thread for Dredd, and feel free to discuss however small of a nuance about it as you'd like.

You know what pains me?

This website has been on a posting streak - we're on an all-time record for 100+ post days during the week; today, we're not going to make it unless everyone rallies during the next ninety minutes or so. Don't let this record fall! It's been ... uplifting, energizing, awesome. Views have been through the roof for awhile now, but lately, posts have too. And posts is the only statistic that matters to me (other than new members) - I couldn't give a whit about "eyeballs" (I know, I know, I'm supposed to; but I don't).

As of last night, it was 23 straight weekdays (not including Labor Day). We haven't seen this since 2005 or 2006.

And even if The Streak ends tonight: thank you to everyone here for making it happen.

Cheers,

Rocks

The Streak continues, but I really thought today was going to end it.

With the exception of Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and the Day After Thanksgiving, our 100+ post M-F streak remains uninterrupted since August 26th. That's over 3 months, and is unprecedented slash awesome.

But today ... we almost didn't make it. At 2:45 PM, we had only about 50 posts (and that's when I'd resigned myself to the downer of The Streak coming to a halt). As of 9 PM, we only have 96 posts - so we'll make it, but not by much. The obvious reason is because we're coming off of Thanksgiving weekend - but yesterday, we had 151 posts, so I may be wrong, and I'm curious to know what others think. (No, this is not some cheesy attempt to get 4 extra posts - we'd make it today regardless).

My educated (but not guaranteed) hypothesis is that it is indeed because of Thanksgiving weekend, but yesterday, there was pent-up demand from the long weekend that unraveled itself in a flurry of post-holiday posts; today, that demand has been spent, and we're back to normal, and "normal" post-Thanksgiving is a bit slower than other days during the autumn. Or maybe it's because it was Cyber Monday and everyone was spending time online. Do you see all these little Shakespearean quibbles I'm making here? "‹Nobody appreciates me.

Anyway, I'd bet that most restaurant websites are getting hit by an after-Thanksgiving slump, with yesterday being a booster shot.

Well it looks like "The Streak" is coming to an end today because of our damnably slow server. If you all could post like banshees in the next 8 hours, we can still make it; otherwise, I'm not going to count this day because of technical issues!

Apparently our server's "apache instance" was "hung up because of some process our website is running," and needed to be reset.

I apologize for the infuriatingly slow response times of the past three days. Many people have complained, and rightfully so. Hopefully, it's fixed, but if not, please respond here. I've hit a couple slow loads even after this has supposedly been "fixed," so I'm not completely convinced.

Nevertheless, please post! Chat about something! :)

The Streak continues, but I really thought today was going to end it.

With the exception of Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and the Day After Thanksgiving, our 100+ post M-F streak remains uninterrupted since August 26th. That's over 3 months, and is unprecedented slash awesome.

But today ... we almost didn't make it. At 2:45 PM, we had only about 50 posts (and that's when I'd resigned myself to the downer of The Streak coming to a halt). As of 9 PM, we only have 96 posts - so we'll make it, but not by much. The obvious reason is because we're coming off of Thanksgiving weekend - but yesterday, we had 151 posts, so I may be wrong, and I'm curious to know what others think. (No, this is not some cheesy attempt to get 4 extra posts - we'd make it today regardless).

My educated (but not guaranteed) hypothesis is that it is indeed because of Thanksgiving weekend, but yesterday, there was pent-up demand from the long weekend that unraveled itself in a flurry of post-holiday posts; today, that demand has been spent, and we're back to normal, and "normal" post-Thanksgiving is a bit slower than other days during the autumn. Or maybe it's because it was Cyber Monday and everyone was spending time online. Do you see all these little Shakespearean quibbles I'm making here? "‹Nobody appreciates me.

Anyway, I'd bet that most restaurant websites are getting hit by an after-Thanksgiving slump, with yesterday being a booster shot.

Well it looks like "The Streak" is coming to an end today because of our damnably slow server. If you all could post like banshees in the next 8 hours, we can still make it; otherwise, I'm not going to count this day because of technical issues!

Apparently our server's "apache instance" was "hung up because of some process our website is running," and needed to be reset.

I apologize for the infuriatingly slow response times of the past three days. Many people have complained, and rightfully so. Hopefully, it's fixed, but if not, please respond here. I've hit a couple slow loads even after this has supposedly been "fixed," so I'm not completely convinced. Dreamhost (our web host) is lousy. They have one job to do (host this website), and they can't even get that right.

Nevertheless, please post! Chat about something!  :)

So many people post their food pictures on Facebook - that website is our biggest competitor, strange as it may seem.

I can't unseat Facebook, but I want our members back here!

What do I have to do to convince people that their posts will be seen *more* here in the long-term than they are on Facebook?

In the short-term, every post is seen 100 times; in the long-term, every post is seen 200-300 times. You do not get that with Facebook - the posts are lost there after 10 minutes, and basically gone forever; here, they are captured for all eternity.

I know it sounds crazy at first, but I honestly believe that you get significantly more exposure here than you do on Facebook - and not just to your "friends," but to the general public, which is exactly the crowd you want to be reaching.

Think about it: a chef will post a picture of a great-looking dish on Facebook. You'll see it, nod your head, and then you'll never see it again - neither will 90% of his or her friends. Nobody who's not "friends" with the chef will ever see it at all. Wasted time.

Not to mention the fact that we're much, much more Google-friendly. And people are here precisely because they are lovers of cuisine.

*I* know this to be true; what must I do to convince *you* that it's true?  :)

I'm active on Facebook too, but if I have something *important* to write? It's here. Every. Single. Time.

Come back to this community with your food postings, my friends. They will be curated with love and for the long term.

• Like 1

So many people post their food pictures on Facebook - that website is our biggest competitor, strange as it may seem.

I can't unseat Facebook, but I want our members back here!

What do I have to do to convince people that their posts will be seen *more* here in the long-term than they are on Facebook?

In the short-term, every post is seen 100 times; in the long-term, every post is seen 200-300 times. You do not get that with Facebook - the posts are lost there after 10 minutes, and basically gone forever; here, they are captured for all eternity.

I know it sounds crazy at first, but I honestly believe that you get significantly more exposure here than you do on Facebook - and not just to your "friends," but to the general public, which is exactly the crowd you want to be reaching.

Think about it: a chef will post a picture of a great-looking dish on Facebook. You'll see it, nod your head, and then you'll never see it again - neither will 90% of his or her friends. Nobody who's not "friends" with the chef will ever see it at all. Wasted time.

Not to mention the fact that we're much, much more Google-friendly. And people are here precisely because they are lovers of cuisine.

*I* know this to be true; what must I do to convince *you* that it's true?  :)

I'm active on Facebook too, but if I have something *important* to write? It's here. Every. Single. Time.

Come back to this community with your food postings, my friends. They will be curated with love and for the long term.

Smart-Technology-or-Dance-doing-the-Bump

I apologize for the infuriatingly slow response times of the past three days. Many people have complained, and rightfully so. Hopefully, it's fixed, but if not, please respond here. I've hit a couple slow loads even after this has supposedly been "fixed," so I'm not completely convinced. Dreamhost (our web host) is lousy. They have one job to do (host this website), and they can't even get that right.

Nevertheless, please post! Chat about something!  :)

Okay, the holidays have started.

It's amazing how accurately our PPD (posts per day) mirrors holidays, weekends, nighttime, hurricanes, earthquakes, the lunch hour, and pretty much every demographic situation you could imagine.

Well, *I'll* be around the rest of this year, but everyone else has pretty much hauled ass (if anyone is alone for the holidays, please write me - you're not alone).

The Streak is officially on hiatus until January 2nd, maybe January 6th. Then, it's back to work for you lazy trenchers! :)

Don--the biggest issue I have about posting with photos here vs. Facebook, is that I can go directly from my phone to Facebook. I simply am not tech savvy enough to post here from my phone. So, to post a photo here, I have to email the file to my desktop computer, then upload it to the photo hosting site and then to DR.com. Sorry, but it is a giant hassle to me, so I very rarely post with photos here.

Don--the biggest issue I have about posting with photos here vs. Facebook, is that I can go directly from my phone to Facebook. I simply am not tech savvy enough to post here from my phone. So, to post a photo here, I have to email the file to my desktop computer, then upload it to the photo hosting site and then to DR.com. Sorry, but it is a giant hassle to me, so I very rarely post with photos here.

Posting photos here is indeed a laborious pain in the ass. Once you know how to do it, it's easy, but that first time? Needlessly complex.

Posting photos here is indeed a laborious pain in the ass. Once you know how to do it, it's easy, but that first time? Needlessly complex.

If you have a smartphone, it's actually not that bad. Download an Imgur app like Imgupr. Then with a click of a button (ok, maybe two) you can upload a picture you snapped and copy the link, which you can then just paste in a thread here.

• Like 1

If you have a smartphone, it's actually not that bad. Download an Imgur app like Imgupr. Then with a click of a button (ok, maybe two) you can upload a picture you snapped and copy the link, which you can then just paste in a thread here.

Really? Is something like this available for computers also?

• Like 1

Really? Is something like this available for computers also?

You can certainly use Imgur on a computer. The nice thing about that service is you don't need an account. You just upload an image and get a URL. So there's no messing with a username and password each time.

• Like 1

You can certainly use Imgur on a computer. The nice thing about that service is you don't need an account. You just upload an image and get a URL. So there's no messing with a username and password each time.

By the way, I should probably add that because Imgur accepts pretty much any picture, browsing Imgur is definitely nsfw.

• Like 1

Okay, the holidays have started.

It's amazing how accurately our PPD (posts per day) mirrors holidays, weekends, nighttime, hurricanes, earthquakes, the lunch hour, and pretty much every demographic situation you could imagine.

Well, *I'll* be around the rest of this year, but everyone else has pretty much hauled ass (if anyone is alone for the holidays, please write me - you're not alone).

The Streak is officially on hiatus until January 2nd, maybe January 6th. Then, it's back to work for you lazy trenchers! :)

Thank you all for the photo suggestions - I will look into them, and if anyone can do that for me, I'd really appreciate it. Uploading photos here should be easier than the FAQ process describes. Ironically, YouTube insertions are simple: just paste the URL, and it automatically converts to YouTube!

Yesterday, somehow, we got 117 posts, so even though The Streak is officially on holiday, it still poked its head up. I didn't think there was anyway it was going to happen yesterday. Thank you to everyone.

Thank you all for the photo suggestions - I will look into them, and if anyone can do that for me, I'd really appreciate it. Uploading photos here should be easier than the FAQ process describes. Ironically, YouTube insertions are simple: just paste the URL, and it automatically converts to YouTube!

Yesterday, somehow, we got 117 posts, so even though The Streak is officially on holiday, it still poked its head up. I didn't think there was anyway it was going to happen yesterday. Thank you to everyone.

7 PM, Christmas Evening, the best present I could have from our readers:

117 users are online (in the past 15 minutes)

7 members, 110 guests, 0 anonymous users (See full list)

Thank you all for everything you do here.

• Like 1

Anyone else being asked to log in like every other time they visit the site today? (I'm using safari on my Iphone if that makes a difference)

I'm not encountering that, but server problems are continuing and might have something to do with it.

New memberships are being held up by server issues at this point, for anyone reading this who is waiting on approval of their registration.  I hope that particular problem will not continue much longer.

ETA:  Just noting that membership is back up and things are normal again.

Edited by Pat
update

I wanted to say "thank you" to our wonderful members here - not for anything in particular, but just for being who you are. I also wish to reiterate that your posts here will be curated with love and care, forever - you will never have to worry about losing the hard work and effort you put into writing them.

When I think how many hundreds, perhaps thousands, of posts that I wrote on Mark Squires' wine board that are now inaccessible, it makes me feel like a fool - used by a mercenary. I wrote a couple thousand posts on eGullet - who knows where they'll be five years from now?

I want to assure everyone that you will not have these worries on donrockwell.com.

With the rise of Facebook, people have become more-and-more comfortable using their real names on the internet - I'd like to ask people to consider moving away from pseudonyms, and converting your member names to your real names. This will never be a requirement, but it does add credibility. Just because I know who you are, doesn't mean other people do, and I can understand the whole "hiding behind a pseudonym" argument as having some validity. More importantly to me, I think it adds to the sense of community when people use their real names. I have spent countless hundreds of hours memorizing who you are, and that's great - for me - but that doesn't help other people get to know you.

With the rise of Facebook, people have become more-and-more comfortable using their real names on the internet - I'd like to ask people to consider moving away from pseudonyms, and converting your member names to your real names. This will never be a requirement, but it does add credibility. Just because I know who you are, doesn't mean other people do, and I can understand the whole "hiding behind a pseudonym" argument as having some validity. More importantly to me, I think it adds to the sense of community when people use their real names. I have spent countless hundreds of hours memorizing who you are, and that's great - for me - but that doesn't help other people get to know you.

Do we have the ability to change our member name ourselves?

I once tried to get a thread going called "Tell us your backstory, for all of us to tell each other about themselves, but it didn't get much traction.  Maybe as part of a real name initiative, or as a substitute, another way could be found to do something similar.  Speaking for me, I'd certainly be interested in knowing a little more about those here whom in most cases I know only from their handles.  Some back story on the avatars might also be interesting.

P.S.  This is my 1000th post.

• Like 1

[Just because I don't approve of The Birthday Thread, I still hope that members here send PMs to other members on their birthdays. I rarely remember, but today I did, and it made me feel good to do so.

Sending Happy Birthday PMs is *always* encouraged here; posting in public, not so much - it's a personal matter.

Once again, the PM system is 100% secure, just as the passwords are. Restated, even if I was some malevolent criminal, I couldn't have access to them even if I wanted (I'm not, and I don't), so use both with full confidence. I'd love for our wonderful members to get 100 Happy Birthday PMs a day, even if they probably aren't getting any right now - I'm going to see what I can do to change that. Even on Facebook, I feel wonderful when people send me birthday greetings - there's no denying it. I want it to be the same thing here because we're even more bonded, with more newcomers to welcome into our community.

Please, if you're thinking of it now, put your birthday, and an avatar, into your profile.

1) Click your name (with the arrow) on the top-right

2) Click My Profile

3) Click Edit My Profile (a black rectangle, about three inches down on the right)

4) Enter My Birthday (under the Profile Information section - year is optional, of course)

5) Click Profile Settings (on the top-left, about three inches down)

6) Click Change My Photo - the rest should be obvious

7) When finished, click the black Done rectangle

Note that there are also many other things you can enter, the most important being your signature. Please be as creative as you want, but do link to your business webpage, your twitter account, and take artistic liberties with your slogans. The more of a bohemian maggot you are, the better!

Thank you all, as always - you're the best!

Rocks.]

The first actual nice day we've had in ... well, let's just say this is one of the two worst days we've had in many months, and I don't think it's coincidence.

Someone post something before midnight, darn it, if you're not too sunburned.

As of yesterday morning (but not before), there has been a precipitous drop in postings here. I'm talking a 50% drop, literally overnight.

Two things have happened simultaneously: Spring has sprung, and Don has flown (the coop, for a very short while). So which is it? Please tell me it isn't my absence - I'm still here, for many hours each day; just not "here here."

Some of you have gotten PMs from me asking you to consider changing your member name to your real name. If I've asked you more than once, please accept my apologies - it's not a requirement, and it never will be. If I haven't asked you, please do not be insulted - I'll get to you!

Although I will always allow our members to use pseudonyms, I also believe that using real names, when possible, strengthens our community.

I'd like to "welcome" Robert Rymarz, who, for the past 9+ years has been known to you only as robert40.

And also Mark Dedrick, still known as DCDuck, but not for much longer.

Thank you, Robert and Mark, and to everyone else who has decided to switch to your real name. And for those of you who choose not to - for whatever reason - thank you for just being a member here. The most important thing of all is that you're active and post - I can promise all our readers that I know who you are. and that we took great pains to verify your identity when you registered; I just hope that promise is good enough for everyone.

And it's a great time to thank Pat, our membership director, for all the detailed work she does in verifying people's identities. It's not always that easy, but she's the most diligent person I know. Thank you also to our former membership directors (in reverse-chronological order) goldenticket, mktye, and hillvalley.

Folks, a few others have put in a great amount of work for this community - notably lperry and cheezepowder of late - but being membership director is an entirely thankless job *unless* you put in the effort to thank them. Please reach out to all six of these people from time-to-time, just to say "thank you."

• Like 2

As of yesterday morning (but not before), there has been a precipitous drop in postings here. I'm talking a 50% drop, literally overnight.

Two things have happened simultaneously: Spring has sprung, and Don has flown (the coop, for a very short while). So which is it? Please tell me it isn't my absence - I'm still here, for many hours each day; just not "here here."

I was in Italy, that's my excuse. :)

As for changing our handles to our real names, please recognize that for many of us it may not be about maintaining anonymity from other members on this site, but anonymity on the internet in general. I would prefer to limit for instance what my employer might be able to gather about me or my activities by doing a google search of my name so for that reason alone, I will not be switching my handle to my actual name.

I would prefer to limit for instance what my employer might be able to gather about me or my activities by doing a google search of my name so for that reason alone, I will not be switching my handle to my actual name.

And yet you note you work at Black Ankle Vineyards in signature block in your post. What the heck?!?!??!  :wacko:

Somehow, I suspect you have another employer that you're really talking about!    :D

And yet you note you work at Black Ankle Vineyards in signature block in your post. What the heck?!?!??!  :wacko:

Somehow, I suspect you have another employer that you're really talking about!    :D

Yes. I work at BAV for fun (and the education) and only say good things about them here. ;)  I have a full time job elsewhere. Well technically I have yet another job a well, but that one's to do with dogs so that's neither here nor there.  :P

• Like 1

Hey!

How was your weekend?

Mine, too.

But it's over, so get back to posting! :)

This is a very strange day - the website is vibrant, with lots of readers, but nobody is posting anything!

This happens sometimes after an eventful Sunday (Nats defeat Braves, U.S. ties Portugal) - people sometimes forget that their number one obligation in life is to post on donrockwell.com beginning Monday.

So this is just a reminder of your feudal duties. :P

Cheers,

Dick Tater.

P.S. In Macroeconomics, I believe this is called "pump priming."

• Like 1