Photo

Administrative Announcement - Auto-Recover Feature If You Lose A Long Post While Editing

Administrative Announcement

• Please log in to reply
966 replies to this topic

#951 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:25 AM

I'm looking for some email help. In particular, if anyone out there has done the following, and can help us out with a little volunteer work, please contact me via PM:

1) Setting up a new email account on Gmail.

2) Transferring an existing (soon to be deleted) email account's contents into the Gmail account.

3) Forwarding new incoming email into the Gmail account, setting up pointers, etc.

4) Sending email from the Gmail account as a different address (the reverse of 3)).

5) Explaining it all to me (this will be the most challenging part).

There would need to be a privacy statement signed, so please know that before saying yes. I can't pay you, but will give you a little token of my appreciation.   :)

Is #2 even possible? I'd love to know if it is...

Yes.  There is a link in the settings for doing that.

#952 Pool Boy

Pool Boy

DC Crüdite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 09:05 AM

I don't know if anyone has ever brought this up before, but I think the order of cities listed under Hamtrak should be:

DC

Baltimore

Philly

NYC

Isn't putting NYC at the top indicative of an inferiority complex?  :wacko:

I agree. BTW, why is it called Hamtrack???!?!

Food.Wine.Cats.Hawaiian Shirts.Travel.Art.Music.

#953 squidsdc

squidsdc

ika

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 12:44 AM

I was just doing a very similar thing today, 8 times over, plus with a few more complicated steps. Took about 10 hours. My project also involved Gmail. While I came through it, hopefully, pretty successfully, I don't think I'd be the one to handle the whole thing without someone else's guidance. :blink:

I am not IT by any means, but have just enough knowledge to get through. So if you do need some input I'd be happy to contribute, as I did learn some valuable steps in how to do our move. We just moved to Hostgator--hope that won't be a mistake as I hadn't heard much about them. So glad we decided against Dreamhost though, based on what you've posted!

• DonRocks likes this

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain"--The Great Oz

#954 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,394 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:51 PM

Well, f**k.  I hate writing about restaurants any more, but decided to start this thread anyway, and twenty minutes later I was almost done and f**king Invision or whoever lost the post.

Ouch! That's why I always write a long post in Microsoft Word first and then copy it into DR.com.  Had that happen one too many times myself.  

[Please, please, please remember that there's an auto-recover feature!]

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#955 porcupine

porcupine

ill-tempered sea bass

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:16 AM

If it works when you do something really stupid like navigating to a different page while working on a post, I haven't figured out how to use it.

Elizabeth Miller
fast cars, slow food

http://elizaberryblog.wordpress.com/

#956 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:19 AM

If it works when you do something really stupid like navigating to a different page while working on a post, I haven't figured out how to use it.

It should work if you've been typing long enough for auto-save to kick in.  I had started to write a post in this thread yesterday and abandoned it, and as soon as I clicked on "quote" to reply to you, "View Auto Saved Content (Yesterday, 3:19 PM)" popped up in the lower left corner of the reply box.  I clicked on that message and it brought up a box with the post I had been writing, with the option to "restore content."  I didn't want to restore it, but I could have.

After a minute or minute and a half of starting to type this, a new "Last auto saved" message popped up.

So, if you spent more than 90 seconds writing the post, it would have been there to be restored.

#957 porcupine

porcupine

ill-tempered sea bass

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:25 AM

Well no doubt it was a user problem, but I swear I looked for "last auto saved" and never found it.

Elizabeth Miller
fast cars, slow food

http://elizaberryblog.wordpress.com/

#958 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:46 AM

Well no doubt it was a user problem, but I swear I looked for "last auto saved" and never found it.

I'm having problems with pages not fully loading, so maybe that is what happened to you and the "View auto saved content" message didn't show up.

#959 DaveO

DaveO

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:53 PM

This site is perpetually slow on loading, on switching pages, on almost any action.  I go to a different forum using the same invision forum package.  Its dramatically faster in every way.  I did notice on the bottom of their site they are using invision software version 3.4.2.  I don't know if you have updated software or not.    The other point is I don't recall that forum ever being this slow.

#960 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,394 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:58 PM

This site is perpetually slow on loading, on switching pages, on almost any action.  I go to a different forum using the same invision forum package.  Its dramatically faster in every way.  I did notice on the bottom of their site they are using invision software version 3.4.2.  I don't know if you have updated software or not.    The other point is I don't recall that forum ever being this slow.

Yes, we're leaving Dreamhost. The delay in loading the server is unacceptable.

I just now bumped the memory up to 2 Gigabytes just in case that might help.

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#961 RWBooneJr.

RWBooneJr.

hammerhead

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:06 PM

This site is perpetually slow on loading, on switching pages, on almost any action.

I suspect that the board's cache isn't set up properly or the indexes are wrong.

#962 dcs

dcs

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:13 PM

This site is perpetually slow on loading, on switching pages, on almost any action.

The only action that works almost instantly is clicking "Mark Community Read."  :(

#963 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,394 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:19 PM

The only action that works almost instantly is clicking "Mark Community Read."  :(

I'm rebuilding all the indexes right now and am temporarily moving to a private server.

Invision will take care of all our problems once we port over there.

#964 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,394 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:36 PM

None of this will matter in another week or so - we're leaving Dreamhost, and Invision will handle any gremlins that snuck into the system.

Pat and Rovers2000 have been working diligently behind the scenes - please buy them a drink because I think they need one (or two).

---

Hello,

Thank you for contacting DreamHost.

I tested the website of http://www.donrockwell.com/ in multiple browsers,
but I was unable to replicate latency in the load time of the website. I
tested the access to the many forum topics available and I was able to
navigate to different topics/forum posts without latency. I also
conducted a site load speed test and obtained the following results :

http://tools.pingdom...onrockwell.com/
- test of index page

http://tools.pingdom...gelinabad-wine/
- test of one of the forum posts

Unfortunately, I was unable to replicate latency in the load time of the
website of http://www.donrockwell.com/ . Before revisiting the domain, It
may help to clear the cache from your
browser and flush the DNS cache from your computer. Please review the
following articles regarding clearing the cache and flushing DNS :

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Flush_DNS
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Clear_cache

If you continue to experience latency in the load time of the website,
please contact us back along with the following information:

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Traceroute

http://wiki.dreamhos...ng_Ping_Results

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact
DreamHost.

Thanks!

Matthew O.

#965 dcs

dcs

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:45 PM

To quote Bob Dylan....  if he were to speak to DreamHost.

#966 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,394 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:55 PM

To quote Bob Dylan....  if he were to speak to DreamHost.

I knew you weren't talking about me, silly. :)

(I just wanted to let everyone know I'm not taking this for granted. Again, please thank Pat and Rovers2000 - they've done a lot.)

#967 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,394 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:18 PM

This is costing me a lot of money, but I don't want to inconvenience our members more than they've already been inconvenienced.

Cheers,

Rocks

---

Hello, Don,

This is just a note to let you know that we have moved your account to a new server, ds7293! We apologize if we were unable to send you notification of this move beforehand and would be glad to help you address any potential problems that the move may cause.

PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE MESSAGE, as it may help you fix any problems that come up as a result of the move.

We have also created a wiki article that explains everything you will need to know about why we moved you and solutions on how to fix anything that may have broken because of the move:

DreamHost Wiki: Server Moves

Below is a brief summary of the more common problems we're seeing after customers are moved to their new server. You can get more detailed information at the wiki article above though. If you don't understand any of these directions, please reply to this message and we'll be happy to help you further.

UNIQUE IP:

If you have a unique IP on your account, it has likely changed with the move. See below for details.

CUSTOM DNS:

If you run your own DNS outside of DreamHost (i.e. you're not using ns1.dreamhost.comns2.dreamhost.com and ns3.dreamhost.com as your domains' nameservers) you'll need to update your records now. You can always go to the 'Manage Domains' section of your web panel and click on the 'DNS' link for your domains to see what the new IP is for that domain. You can then use these new IPs to point your services to us from the outside DNS provider which is managing your DNS. For your convenience, here are your new IPs:

FTP:

If you are using your server name (server.dreamhost.com) as your FTP hostname, be sure to change that to your domain name. A fully hosted domain name will always point to the correct server in the event that it is changed again in the future. If for some reason you can't use your domain name, your new server name is included at the top of this message.

That's it, really... and we really apologize for any inconvenience which may have resulted from this move!

Thanks! 
The Happy DreamHost Migration Team 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Administrative Announcement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users