914 replies to this topic

#1 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,181 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 03:06 PM

[When I sign people up and verifiy their registrations, I ask for a real first/last name and city-of-residence, stressing that these are to be held in private. Basically, I need to know who is posting here to avoid anonymous potshots taken at restaurants.

However, I'm finding that developing this site in my spare time has been a LOT of work, especially registering new members and dealing with technical issues.

So I'm going to be getting help with validating memberships from a trusted individual whom many of us already know, and this person will have access to that same information. (There will also be someone coming onboard to help me with technical and software issues.)

I don't think this is a big deal, and maybe I don't even need to mention it, but in the interest of full disclosure I thought I should. Privacy issues are important to many people, and they're also important to me.

Please PM or email me if this is a problem, and I'll try to find a workaround although I'm not sure what it's going to be.

Tired, busy.
Rocks.

P.S. And if you're reading this and haven't registered, please do!]

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#2 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,181 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 12:42 PM

[Regret your choice of user names?

Please feel free to change your mind at this point (membership is still at a manageable number), and let me know. Remember, it's always in good form to use your real name, either as your screen name or in your signature file.

Cheers!
Rocks.]

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#3 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,181 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 11:13 AM

If your postings are showing up off by an hour, it's because you haven't checked the Daylight Savings Time box.

Click on "My Controls" up near the top of the page, then "Board Settings" near the bottom-left, and you'll see it.

Cheers,
Rocks.

#4 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,181 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 11:09 AM

[New users, please check your mailbox's spam folder for your validation email: our membership director fears that these emails are being lost and abandoned, having been sucked down into the vortex, deep within the Sea of Spam. Thank you, Rocks.]

#5 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,181 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 10:33 PM

[Are anybody's smilies or emoticons showing up as nonreadabe "x's?" They sure are for me (at least Nadya's are)! Please PM me if you can hypotheisize a way out of this problem, because I certainly don't know what the answer is. Shogun? Cheers! Rocks.]

#6 bilrus

bilrus

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 11:04 PM

[Are anybody's smilies or emoticons showing up as nonreadabe "x's?"  They sure are for me!  Please PM me if you can hypotheisize a way out of this problem, because I certainly don't know what the answer is.  Shogun?  Cheers!  Rocks.]

Rocks - Mine all seem to be working just fine. Too much pre-4th of July celebrating tonight?
Bill Russell

#7 Barbara

Barbara

Heretic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 06:25 PM

None of Nadya's fabulous, animated emoticons are working. I miss them a lot. :lol:

#8 FunnyJohn

FunnyJohn

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 08:00 AM

None of Nadya's fabulous, animated emoticons are working.  I miss them a lot. :lol:

For some reason I can never see Nadya's photos -- I get the little red x where the photo should be. Regarding Rock's emoticon problem it could be that his computer is not reading the [whatever the emoticon computer symbol is] but others may be able to. I have a problem when I change my avitar -- I see the old one for several days while everyone else sees the new one. Someone on the "Society" Board suggested I needed to empty my browser cache. Maybe that will work for Rock's problem -- didn't help me with the avitar problem which is due to my computer network here at the office.

Edited by FunnyJohn, 05 July 2005 - 08:01 AM.

John Herzberg
Boulevardier
Bon Vivant
Besotted
Epistemological Optimist

"I would like to take you seriously, but to do so would affront your intelligence."
"You too can have the soothing feeling of nature's own baby-soft wool being pulled over your resting eyes." - Herb Block

#9 Jacques Gastreaux

Jacques Gastreaux

Don't Ask

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 08:49 AM

I have not been able to view Nadya's mobile smilie's for quite some time.
Please unload all firearms and remove ski masks before entering establishment.

#10 Nadya

Nadya

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 08:50 AM

Emoticons not working???

Well, I'd be blasted. Posted Image

Once I'm done beating my head against the wall, I'll sink into one million depressions. Posted Image

But then...I'll get on the phone with Mutterland. Posted Image

And pay lots of Posted Image

Not working again? Pffft. Posted Image

Maybe I need to go all evil on someone. Posted Image

Maybe it's a secret hand of the Invisible Force? Posted Image

Maybe someone got tired of my two-faced postings? Posted Image

But I am hopeful that the resident genuises will finally figure it out so we can stop playing the same old same old Posted Image.

And everyone will go Posted Image

My 3-year old could either learn English or Brie.  I've made my choice.

#11 Hannah

Hannah

bacon enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 08:55 AM

Well, if you go to the direct link for the images Nadya's posting (http://t2.technion.a.../emofragile.gif, for example), you get a "403-Forbidden" message. That indicates that the problem is the site she's posting the images from, not this site.

A reasonable number of sites that host images like that request that you save them to your own hard drive and post them from there, rather than using a link to their site, because it chews up their expensive bandwidth. To make sure this happens, they'll block direct linking to images. I'm guessing that's what's happened in this case.

The solution is basically for Nadya to save the images to her PC, then upload them to whatever space is available here, rather than putting in the direct link to the original host.

confectionery based existentialist

Keep an ear out for the old Mongolian nose flute, and of course the statutory three gyrating eejits.

#12 Nadya

Nadya

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:06 AM

Well, if you go to the direct link for the images Nadya's posting (http://t2.technion.a.../emofragile.gif, for example), you get a "403-Forbidden" message.  That indicates that the problem is the site she's posting the images from, not this site.

A reasonable number of sites that host images like that request that you save them to your own hard drive and post them from there, rather than using a link to their site, because it chews up their expensive bandwidth. To make sure this happens, they'll block direct linking to images.  I'm guessing that's what's happened in this case.

The solution is basically for Nadya to save the images to her PC, then upload them to whatever space is available here, rather than putting in the direct link to the original host.

Hmmm. So can I link directly to my hard drive, or would I need to upload them to be available online? Can any of the resident genuises help me with this?

My 3-year old could either learn English or Brie.  I've made my choice.

#13 DCMark

DCMark

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:10 AM

Yep, this is called bandwidth theft. I had no idea what it was until I read the rather lenghtly set of rules on Egullet. This also means "technically' that you are not supposed to post pictures from another website (here or anywhere else) without permission.

If this is just a few images, email them to me and I can post on my website. As long as these are only used here at DR.

Well, if you go to the direct link for the images Nadya's posting (http://t2.technion.a.../emofragile.gif, for example), you get a "403-Forbidden" message. That indicates that the problem is the site she's posting the images from, not this site.

A reasonable number of sites that host images like that request that you save them to your own hard drive and post them from there, rather than using a link to their site, because it chews up their expensive bandwidth. To make sure this happens, they'll block direct linking to images. I'm guessing that's what's happened in this case.

"This donut has purple in the middle, purple is a fruit."

Homer J.

#14 DCMark

DCMark

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:14 AM

If your hard-drive is a webserver with 24/7 internet access, yes you can!

Hmmm. So can I link directly to my hard drive, or would I need to upload them to be available online? Can any of the resident genuises help me with this?

Homer J.

#15 JPW

JPW

Big Poppa Pump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:15 AM

There are several free online image hosting sites. I use www.imageshack.us to hold things like Peanut's favorite onesie --

Posted Image

Joe
skewing old

#16 DCMark

DCMark

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:21 AM

Nadya, here is a site my friend runs, you can use these with no problem.

http://deephousepage.com/smilies.htm

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Homer J.

#17 DCMark

DCMark

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:21 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Homer J.

#18 squidsdc

squidsdc

ika

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 08:03 PM

Those are great DCMark-thanks!

While the question was answered why most of us don't see the images Nadya was posting, why are some able to see them? (I've not been one of the ones who could see them, and thought it had something to do with my computer)

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain"--The Great Oz

#19 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,181 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:00 AM

[Invision (the company that hosts this forum) has had problems with one of their servers since yesterday morning, and unfortunately, it's the server that this forum resides on. I [i]guess[/i] it's back up-and-running now, but I'll believe it when it stays up for several hours without incident. Sorry about the massive lockdown, but I've been shut out as well, although it was up most of yesterday evening.

Also, has anyone else encountered the "blank screen" problem? When you click on a link, a blank screen will appear, and you need to hit reload in order for it to display properly. If you've seen this, and can remember the exact situation you were in, please PM me and let me know but there's no need to add any posts to this thread. Thank you! Rocks.]

#20 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,181 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 01:30 PM

When replying to a post, please remember to do this:

[qu0te]Original Post[/qu0te]
Inserting your reply here will automatically double-space

instead of this:

Inserting your reply like this will triple-space

Thank you :P

#21 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,181 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:26 AM

:P

#22 Stretch

Stretch

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:52 AM

:P

Suck it hard, Rockwell.
Andrew Clark.

"A thick layer of beef fat and cabernet obscures my memories of the evening. It's possible I was raped by a bull."

#23 mktye

mktye

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 02:50 PM

To the tune of "Row, Row, Row Your Boat"...

Space-space-space your post
will cause DonRocks great stress.
Miracle Whip, Miracle Whip, Miracle Whip, Miracle Whip,
and don't spell Power with an "S".
M. K. Tye

#24 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,181 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 12:45 PM

Some people (myself included) cannot access this website through AOL, or Compuserve, or Earthlink. I can, however, access it through "native" Internet Explorer. One person is having trouble with his Powerbook. Other people are reporting similar problems accessing eGullet. Perhaps there is a problem at Invision (the company that produces this forum-hosting software and hosts this website). At this point, I'm not sure. I smell a worm. Rocks.

#25 Meaghan

Meaghan

Ambivalent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 12:58 PM

Some people (myself included) cannot access this website through AOL, or Compuserve, or Earthlink.  I can, however, access it through "native" Internet Explorer.  One person is having trouble with his Powerbook.  Other people are reporting similar problems accessing eGullet.  Perhaps there is a problem at Invision (the company that produces this forum-hosting software and hosts this website).  At this point, I'm not sure.  I smell a worm.  Rocks.

We ARE a bunch of losers about to be fired!
----------------> ~ <--------------------- worm

#26 Barbara

Barbara

Heretic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 01:07 PM

Just tried to get on and a message popped up that donrockwell.com could not be found.

So, I tried again right away and it's apparently worked. Typical ulcer-inducing server problems, no doubt.

#27 Jacques Gastreaux

Jacques Gastreaux

Don't Ask

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 01:17 PM

This from Rocks:

Invision Power Services is under a DOS ("Denial Of Service") attack.  This affects all of their boards, not just www.donrockwell.com.  They're trying to find out where the attack is coming from, and once they do, hope to have the board(s) up shortly afterwards.  They said they were hoping for a couple of hours, but I'll be surprised to see things up-and-running again today.  The guy on the phone told me it was a centralized problem with their system, and is not spread to other peoples home computers.

As for me, I'm going to turn my computer off for a few hours and not even give it another thought.

Edited by Jacques Gastreaux, 19 August 2005 - 01:35 PM.

#28 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,181 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:53 AM

[Invision will be moving this website to another, "more stable" server beginning late this evening. They anticipate that the site will be down for 2-4 hours during the move, hopefully in the middle of the night (they were thinking around midnight), although who knows at this point.

Cheers,
Rocks.

Edit: The site was successfully moved to a new server in the middle of the night.]

Edited by DonRocks, 06 September 2005 - 08:27 AM.

#29 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,181 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 08:45 AM

[When I get time, I'll be breaking up these Olney postings into individual restaurant threads, with a separate "Olney" index pinned up at the top of the forum in the "Where To Eat" thread. (It's perfectly fine to have ten different threads for restaurants in Olney). In general, please try to make one thread per restaurant (people can then use the "Where To Eat" thread to index through things). It's okay to compare-and-contrast, of course (you don't need to be militant about this), but keep in mind that these types of postings will eventually be moved into whatever individual-restaurant thread they seem like they most belong in. Cheers, Rocks.]

#30 JPW

JPW

Big Poppa Pump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 08:44 PM

On our new wireless home network (how did I ever live with dial-up) to say.....

HOLY SHIT BATMAN!!!!!

We have 500 members!

Later gaters.

Joe
skewing old

#31 johnb

johnb

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:32 PM

And while we're fixing up the board, not to seem overly petty or anything, but the nation has been on STANDARD not DAYLIGHT time for several weeks now, so why is this board still timing messages in EDT? Is this why so many Rockwellians have been reported as showing up for their reservations one hour early, and thus going off to the bar to kill time and getting zonked?

I'll get down off my soapbox now.

#32 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,181 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:52 PM

Note Double Space:    And while we're fixing up the board, not to seem overly petty or anything, but the nation has been on STANDARD not DAYLIGHT time for several weeks now, so why is this board still timing messages in EDT?  Is this why so many Rockwellians have been reported as showing up for their reservations one hour early, and thus going off to the bar to kill time and getting zonked?

I'll get down off my soapbox now.

3 steps and you're good-to-go:

1) Click on "My Controls" on the top-right part of the screen
2) Click on "Board Settings" in the left column on the screen
3) Uncheck the "Is Daylight Savings Time In Effect?" box and click on "Adjust my account settings"

#33 JLK

JLK

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:13 AM

[quote name='DonRocks' date='Nov 17 2005, 11:04 AM']
[EVERYONE PLEASE READ THIS AND GET IT IN YOUR CORTEXES. FROM THIS POINT FORWARD, ANYONE INSERTING A TRIPLE-SPACE WHEN QUOTING A POST WILL BE STABBED. THANK YOU.]

I don't know what you're talking about.

:lol:

Edited by JLK, 17 November 2005 - 11:13 AM.

Jennifer

#34 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,181 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:15 PM

[Greetings all,

The postings over the past few days have become much shorter, choppy and less focused (it's very tempting to throw out one-liners - believe me, I'm as guilty of it as anyone).

But as the membership grows, let's take a moment to remember to stay on-topic and keep things substantive.

Thank you!
Rocks.]

#35 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,181 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 10:05 AM

[My email was rejecting messages for several days last week, so if anyone was trying to reach me, please try again.]

#36 Jacques Gastreaux

Jacques Gastreaux

Don't Ask

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 10:11 AM

[My email was rejecting messages for several days last week, so if anyone was trying to reach me, please try again.]

That's what happens when you let your mailbox get full.

#37 ustreetguy

ustreetguy

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 04:59 PM

Awaiting the triple-spacing reminder in 5...4...3...2...1 :)
Larry T.

Still waiting to get my refrigerator fixed...

#38 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,181 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:34 PM

I just want to say welcome to all our shy little newdles (that's a combination of newbies and noodles).

A whole bunch of you have signed up since the holidays wound down, and I want to encourage everyone to post with zest, elan and enthusiasm. We're a community here, and everyone is an equal and vital part. Please don't be shy. Plunge right in. Maybe one day you'll become famous!

And even if you don't, you'll still have fun here. Promise!
Rocks

P.S. Click here if you're still hesitant! :)

#39 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,181 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 01:30 PM

[EVERYONE PLEASE READ THIS AND GET IT IN YOUR CORTEXES. FROM THIS POINT FORWARD, ANYONE INSERTING A TRIPLE-SPACE WHEN QUOTING A POST WILL BE STABBED. THANK YOU.]

[PAY HEED HERE - A GOOD TWENTY PEOPLE DO THIS AND I'M GOING TO BEGIN SENDING ROCKO AND KNUCKLES TO YOUR DOORSTEPS AT 3 AM. WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT? STOP BEING RECALCITRANT AND SPEND TWO MINUTES READING AND LEARNING THIS.]

Inserting your reply here will automatically double-space (which is what you want to do)

instead of this:

Inserting your reply like this will triple-space (which is not good)

Thank you,
Your mother.

#40 Waitman

Waitman

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 03:52 PM

[EVERYONE PLEASE READ THIS AND GET IT IN YOUR CORTEXES.  FROM THIS POINT FORWARD, ANYONE INSERTING A TRIPLE-SPACE WHEN QUOTING A POST WILL BE STABBED.  THANK YOU.]

[PAY HEED HERE - A GOOD TWENTY PEOPLE DO THIS AND I'M GOING TO BEGIN SENDING ROCKO AND KNUCKLES TO YOUR DOORSTEPS AT 3 AM.  WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT?  STOP BEING RECALCITRANT AND SPEND TWO MINUTES READING AND LEARNING THIS.]

instead of this:
Thank you,
Your mother.

Is this directed at me?

"Don't go braggin' about how cool and clean your kitchen is. 'Caus if your kitchen's so cool and clean, ain't nothin' cookin'!"

-- Jesse Jackson

#41 JLK

JLK

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:13 PM

The ikea thread is going to make Rocks' head explode, I fear. :)

Jennifer

#42 Escoffier

Escoffier

Old, grouchy and hungry.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 05:15 PM

Invision hosts another group I am active in and it has the same problem that exists here...sometimes takes 5 minutes to refresh a page or respond to a request to add a comment. I love this software...

and I triple spaced just so I could stay on topic...

In memory of David Weber of Malvern Racing, Desmo4USA, and StephenB. Good friends gone forever.

#43 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,181 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:09 PM

Math exercise:

Multiply 40 Private Messages by 2 minutes each.

That's 1 hour and 20 minutes on top of everything else.

Please understand when I can't reply to all my PMs. I can barely open-and-skim them right now. And the thing that kills me is that about 35 of the 40 messages today were from people whom I consider friends, miffed when I don't reply, and everyone thinks I'm being aloof. I'm not! I'm just deluged, and may need to put a cap on future membership. I don't care about numbers. I'd rather it be smaller and better, than larger and without soul.

Tired,
Rocks

#44 ScotteeM

ScotteeM

Foie Gras

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:11 PM

Rocks,

Anyone who calls you a loofa will have to deal with me! :)

Dona Animella

#45 bookluvingbabe

bookluvingbabe

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:17 PM

Message? What message? The board must have eaten your message again...

Or: I'm so sorry--I just got your message today--it took 3 days! Technology!

#46 Meaghan

Meaghan

Ambivalent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:31 AM

Rocks, a loofa :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sponge Don

#47 hillvalley

hillvalley

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 08:09 AM

Don has graciously taken over membership for me for the next few days while I work some things out. This means he has even less time than normal. Not to mention 18 registrations yesterday, which is wonderfully absurd but more work than I normally deal with in a week. Oh, and yeah, he does have a couple of real, paying jobs to pay attention to.

Give him an early Valentine's Day present. Unless your (insert favorite body part here) is about to be decimated because of something that has happened on the board, ask me for help. Or if you do PM him, please don't expect an answer.

On behalf of Don's sanity, thanks.
How do you know you're a well-adjusted foodie?-babka
Will schmooz for schmaltz-qwertyy

Just keep on smiling-Mrs. Brown

She never promised that life would be easy, but she did promise that if I hung with her the food would be good. -Joan Bauer

...the craving of a Jew for pork, in particular when it has been deep-fried, is a force greater than night or distance or a cold blast off the Gulf of Alaska.
-Michael Chabon

#48 Michael Landrum

Michael Landrum

hammerhead

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:39 AM

I'd rather it be smaller and better, than larger.

Tired,
Rocks

#49 hillvalley

hillvalley

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 02:42 PM

Math exercise:

Multiply 40 Private Messages by 2 minutes each.

That's 1 hour and 20 minutes on top of everything else. 

Please understand when I can't reply to all my PMs.  I can barely open-and-skim them right now.  And the thing that kills me is that about 35 of the 40 messages today were from people whom I consider friends, miffed when I don't reply, and everyone thinks I'm being aloof.  I'm not!  I'm just deluged, and may need to put a cap on future membership.  I don't care about numbers.  I'd rather it be smaller and better, than larger and without soul.

Tired,
Rocks

Okay, so I am not quite as popular as Rocks and I don't have quite that many, but my inbox is full of PM's that I have not had a chance to respond to. I'm in the middle of at least 5 conversations and need to put you on hold while I go figure out who decided to replicate the effects of a tornado in one of my math classrooms. I promise to get back to you but it probably won't happen today but I didn't want to leave you hanging in limbo.
How do you know you're a well-adjusted foodie?-babka
Will schmooz for schmaltz-qwertyy

Just keep on smiling-Mrs. Brown

She never promised that life would be easy, but she did promise that if I hung with her the food would be good. -Joan Bauer

...the craving of a Jew for pork, in particular when it has been deep-fried, is a force greater than night or distance or a cold blast off the Gulf of Alaska.
-Michael Chabon

#50 DameEdna

DameEdna

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 07:30 AM

"I can only deal with one problem per day. Today isn't the day for your problem. Tomorrow doesn't look so good either."
(from the greeting card aisle)

Edited by johnson, 28 January 2006 - 12:42 PM.

Craig Johnson

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Administrative Announcement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users