867 replies to this topic

#851 DrXmus

DrXmus

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:42 PM

I don't understand why a few months ago I started getting e-mails when someone commented on a thread in which I've posted something. I've never asked for e-mail notifications. I did find a page where it seemed I could unsubscribe, which worked for a while at, but now I'm getting them again. Is there anything I can do permanently?

Sandy Christmus

http://www.ovvhpets.com

Vienna, VA

Why is it that to doctor a document is to falsify it, but to vet it is to check it for its accuracy? - Anu Garg

#852 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,898 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:28 AM

I don't understand why a few months ago I started getting e-mails when someone commented on a thread in which I've posted something. I've never asked for e-mail notifications. I did find a page where it seemed I could unsubscribe, which worked for a while at, but now I'm getting them again. Is there anything I can do permanently?

It should absolutely be permanent. I don't get *any* email notifications - is that what you wish? 

If yes, perform 1), 2), and 3a). If no, perform 1), 2), and 3b).

1) Click your name on the top-right of this screen

2) On the left side, click "Notification Options"

3a) Make sure the entire righthand column (the one for "Email") is unchecked.

3b) Make sure the entire righthand column (the one for "Email") is checked only for things you want to be notified about.

(Note also, the lefthand column in step 3) (the one for "Notification List") is an alternative method of being notified - it will notify you whenever you sign on by placing the items in the list activated by that little icon just to the left of your name in 1)). If both columns are checked, you'll receive both types of notifications.

There's no "evil robot" that goes around in the middle of the night undoing your settings, at least none that I know of! :)

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#853 DrXmus

DrXmus

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:42 AM

Thanks, Don. I also found this little gem:

Topics & Posts

Auto follow topics I reply to. Notification frequency: (None)
You are automatically following all topics you reply to with no notification frequency selected. This will cause the topics to show in your followed content area, but you will not receive notifications for these topics.

I selected it and set notification frequency to "none" which seems to mean I won't get e-mails on topics I'm "following".

Thanks for your help, too.

Sandy Christmus

http://www.ovvhpets.com

Vienna, VA

Why is it that to doctor a document is to falsify it, but to vet it is to check it for its accuracy? - Anu Garg

#854 DaveO

DaveO

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:01 PM

On the slowness issue, just so you know I'm involved in a different forum that uses Invision Forum package.  It also has become very slow to load new posts.  

#855 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,898 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:52 PM

This is a tough call, but I'm going to go ahead and make it. I'm not naming any names in the event that I'm wrong, but I've spent a fair amount of time researching this, and at this point I think it's appropriate to issue a warning to restaurateurs.

--

I believe there is - or should I say was - someone on this website posing as a terminally ill patient, hoping to get sympathy and free food.

She's supposedly "two weeks away from death," yet she's eating and drinking all over town. I've talked with people that have seen her, and she doesn't exactly look like she's on her last leg.

She isn't dying; she's merely dying for attention.

And read this for a brief description of what she most likely "has":

Munchausen By Internet

Yes, I feel sorry for this person, but not for the reason she wants me to.
Rocks.

The perpetrator is still in the area, and very active in the food world.

This was originally posted with a link that is definitive proof, but it would also destroy this person's life, and I have no desire to do that. If anyone wants more information, please write me privately.

God, I had forgotten all about this, and thinking about it again gives me the willies like you cannot believe.

I genuinely hope this person has gotten help.

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#856 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,898 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:02 PM

Please click and retweet to support.

Okay, so I'm as much of a slut as everybody else. Acknowledged.

#857 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,898 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:05 PM

The perpetrator is still in the area, and very active in the food world.

This was originally posted with a link that is definitive proof, but it would also destroy this person's life, and I have no desire to do that.

God, I had forgotten all about this, and thinking about it again gives me the willies like you cannot believe.

I genuinely hope this person has gotten help.

Consider this Part Two of a warning to restaurateurs in the area (scroll up two posts for the full story on Part One):

I talked with Ferhat today, and he alerted me that some people have been calling the restaurant in College Park, saying they're the "Pepco Billing Department."

They're saying the service will be disconnected in a few hours if no money is received over the phone. 

Ferhat spoke with local police, and they mentioned that numerous restaurant owners have called to complain about the same thing - this is happening in College Park, Greenbelt, and Beltsville, but don't be surprised if it spreads. He also spoke with Pepco, and was told that they never call in person to ask for money; they only do it by mail or with an automated system.

If any restaurateurs get this, let your brethren know there are criminals at work.

#858 Mark Slater

Mark Slater

@WinosaurusRex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:49 PM

This scam happened to us a few months ago in Old Town.

Beverage Manager, Bastille 1201 N. Royal St., Alexandria, VA

manager@bastillerestaurant.com

http://www.bastillerestaurant.com

#859 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,898 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 07:45 AM

Ack! I am mad that this board won't let me quote and answer ol_ironstomach's question, nor would it let me cut and paste <insert annoyance> </rant>.

That is all.

[We have an old saying in Delta House: "Don't get mad; get even." -- Daniel Simpson Day, whereabouts unknown.

I assure you this board let's you quote and answer, as well as cut and paste.]

#860 RWBooneJr.

RWBooneJr.

hammerhead

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:29 PM

Ack! I am mad that this board won't let me quote and answer ol_ironstomach's question, nor would it let me cut and paste <insert annoyance> </rant>.

That is all.

I have this problem in Internet Explorer. Click on the button at the top left in the tool bar, which activates the code editor, then go back to the post and click the quote button. If you click the button at the top left again, you'll be back in the text editor, and the quote will still show.

#861 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,898 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:21 PM

Folks, every time you post on Facebook, you're hurting a grass roots company. Be aware of all your food pictures, your Nats celebrations, etc. You're supporting Big, No-Name, Corporate America and harming small business. If that doesn't bother you, then please don't be hypocrites about it in other places.

#862 Bart

Bart

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted Today, 09:59 AM

I can't cut and paste or quote either and Internet Explorer is my only option during the day.  (this is a brand new problem for me most likely due to some "enhancement" my employer did to the system)

RJBooneJr - can you be more specific about where to find the code editor button?   Where is it in relation to File/Edit/View/Favorities/Tools/Help ?

#863 hillvalley

hillvalley

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted Today, 11:25 AM

Don, unfortunately technology gets in your way. Until posting photos is as easy as it is on FB and other sites you can't expect the same level of participation other than what occurs now.

Nine years ago, at a DR happy hour, I was admonished for pulling out my laptop and posting. I'm willing to bet good money that the majority of the people at the upcoming picnic will pull out their phone once and check social media besides the board.
How do you know you're a well-adjusted foodie?-babka
Will schmooz for schmaltz-qwertyy

Just keep on smiling-Mrs. Brown

She never promised that life would be easy, but she did promise that if I hung with her the food would be good. -Joan Bauer

...the craving of a Jew for pork, in particular when it has been deep-fried, is a force greater than night or distance or a cold blast off the Gulf of Alaska.
-Michael Chabon

#864 RWBooneJr.

RWBooneJr.

hammerhead

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted Today, 11:53 AM

RJBooneJr - can you be more specific about where to find the code editor button?   Where is it in relation to File/Edit/View/Favorities/Tools/Help ?

It's in the board's toolbar (not Explorer's) that appears when you start composing your post (click on the reply box). It's on top, at the far left, and looks like a tiny little light switch. It's next to the tiny little eraser.

#865 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,898 posts

Posted Today, 12:00 PM

Don, unfortunately technology gets in your way. Until posting photos is as easy as it is on FB and other sites you can't expect the same level of participation other than what occurs now.

Nine years ago, at a DR happy hour, I was admonished for pulling out my laptop and posting. I'm willing to bet good money that the majority of the people at the upcoming picnic will pull out their phone once and check social media besides the board.

It is just as easy; you simply have to learn how to do it. Many things here are much easier (and much more accessible in the future) than they are on FB. I also have no doubt Invision will be working on Idiot Buttons in the future for those who want one-click everything.

Nine years ... long memory. Not sure I see the point of your statement, but your memory is impressive.

#866 hillvalley

hillvalley

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted Today, 12:14 PM

I don't want to argue but for you it is easy because you live and breath this board, which is why it still lives. But here I am, far from a technical Luddite, and from my iPhone I cannot easily figure out how to post a pic. And yes, I spent some time trying. Again, I go back to the technology. When posting from an iPhone is a matter of a few clicks it will happen. It's not your fault that the board technology is not there, but it does play into why pics aren't posted.

Regarding the comment about 9 years ago, you are right. It wasn't well thought out thanks to a glass of champagne. My point was that technology has changed but invision, or whomever runs the technical part of the board, hasn't kept up. When we chose what platform to use when the board started one conversation we had was about how easy the technology was. For posting commentary that remains true. For your average board user today, the ease isn't there.
How do you know you're a well-adjusted foodie?-babka
Will schmooz for schmaltz-qwertyy

Just keep on smiling-Mrs. Brown

She never promised that life would be easy, but she did promise that if I hung with her the food would be good. -Joan Bauer

...the craving of a Jew for pork, in particular when it has been deep-fried, is a force greater than night or distance or a cold blast off the Gulf of Alaska.
-Michael Chabon

#867 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,898 posts

Posted Today, 12:18 PM

I don't want to argue but for you it is easy because you live and breath this board, which is why it still lives. But here I am, far from a technical Luddite, and from my iPhone I cannot easily figure out how to post a pic. And yes, I spent some time trying. Again, I go back to the technology. When posting from an iPhone is a matter of a few clicks it will happen. It's not your fault that the board technology is not there, but it does play into why pics aren't posted.

Regarding the comment about 9 years ago, you are right. It wasn't well thought out thanks to a glass of champagne. My point was that technology has changed but invision, or whomever runs the technical part of the board, hasn't kept up. When we chose what platform to use when the board started one conversation we had was about how easy the technology was. For posting commentary that remains true. For your average board user today, the ease isn't there.

I suspect the technology *is* there - I've written Invision and asked them. There are programmers who can write front-end code to the Invision backbone, and I'd be happy to pay them to install a more user-friendly interface, so if people have requests, by all means put them in now.

In the meantime, enjoy your lack of privacy at Facebook. ;)

#868 Bart

Bart

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted Today, 12:18 PM

It's in the board's toolbar (not Explorer's) that appears when you start composing your post (click on the reply box). It's on top, at the far left, and looks like a tiny little light switch. It's next to the tiny little eraser.

Ahhhh, got it. THANKS!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Administrative Announcement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users