Dark Dot = "You haven't posted in this thread, and there's unread content"

Nothing = "You haven't posted in this thread, and there's no unread content"

On 5/27/2016 at 9:22 AM, Al Dente said:

It hurts when I pee. What should I do?

On 5/27/2016 at 0:13 PM, DonRocks said:

Don't pee.

"To pee, or not to pee - that is the question."
[-- Shakes Spear]

Urine luck: There are now two ways to present pictures - when you upload (as usual), you'll get a full-sized picture, and if you don't do anything else, it will be saved and presented as such. However, if you want to take those full-sized pictures, and turn them into clickable thumbnails, double click on each picture while you're still editing your post, and you'll get a pop-up screen which gives you the option to resize. I've found that 1/10th of the original size makes for a perfect thumbnail, and if you change the first number, the second number will automatically change to stay in proportion. This might not sound obvious, but once you double-click on your uploaded picture, it will become perfectly obvious. As an example, if the first number is "916," change it to "91" or "92," and you'll get a perfectly sized thumbnail, and the second number will change automatically.

So, full-sized photos, or thumbnails (which readers can click on and expand into full-sized photos): The choice is yours.

On 5/27/2016 at 9:22 AM, Al Dente said:

It hurts when I pee. What should I do?

The above issue sounds critical.  I'd suggest you fix that before you deal with my "issue" above.  It sounds like it needs a hands on approach.  In fact I'd suggest you work that one to the bone to get it back to tip top shape.

26 minutes ago, DaveO said:

Was trying to post something in the dinner thread  and whether on desktop or mobile a previous post would show.  Very weird.  Try it.  Are you getting the same result?

This is the auto-save feature. You must have been typing that previous post in the last time you were replying to that topic, then left the computer for some reason, then tried to reply again just now - the new Invision software saves your old post for you, and this happens to me almost daily (it is a bit unsettling at first). If you no longer need the previous post, you can just cut-and-discard all the text, and you'll be done with it.

Taken to an extreme, if you were replying to a topic, then walked away, then five years from now, you replied to that same topic again, that same five-year-old stub of text would show up (I'm assuming, of course, that no future upgrades wipe out the saved posts) - now *that* would be unsettling. Yes, it's on a thread-by-thread basis.

Did this address your issue?

A note to our members:

There are two different definitions here - they're parallel notions, but also distinct, so pay attention. Forgive the bolding and the repetition, but I'm going for "ease of understanding" rather than "elegance of writing."

1) Threads per Page in a Forum (Hereafter: TPF) - Click on a Forum (New York Restaurants and Dining, for example), and you'll see a list of threads - page 1 has 25 threads on it.

2) Posts per Page in a Thread (Hereafter: PPT) - Click on a Thread (Dining in New York City, for example), and you'll see a list of posts - page 1 has 25 posts on it.

Before the Invision version upgrade, we had 50 TPF, and 50 PPT.

After the upgrade, the maximum allowable TPF is now 25 - I've asked Invision about this, and there are currently no plans to bump this maximum back up (I strongly prefer a higher number, so readers can scroll through the page without having to click to go to a new page).

Anyway, even though the maximum allowable PPT can still be set to 50 (and has been up until now), it created an inconsistent look - it seems odd to me, seeing 50 PPT, but only being able to see 25 TPF, so for the sake of consistency, I went ahead and set both to 25 (instead of having one of them 50, and the other one 25). 

If people want me to change the PPT back to 50, please let me know; if nobody feels strongly about this, I'll leave them both at 25, and look forward to the day when they can both be 50 once again - maybe even 100.

Obviously, having only half of the TPF and PPT doubles the number of pages - again, I don't like this, but what am I to do?

I hope this post makes sense.

34 minutes ago, u-bet! said:

Sorry if this has already been covered, but is the feature that allowed you to see the information about how many were viewing a topic (and the user names of the members who were logged in) gone for good?

If you go to the top of the page, click the "Browse" tab, and there will be a sub-tab called "Online Users" - click that and you'll be able to see who's online. 

Inside a topic, I'm not sure how to find out who's currently browsing it - I could certainly ask and find out if there's a way to do it. You could certainly extrapolate it from the "Online Users," but that would be more trouble than it's worth.

It used to be that when someone sent me a PM, I would receive an email notification that included the Username of the sender and the text of the message. Since the recent Invision upgrade, however, I am no longer receiving these emails.  Is there any way to activate this feature?  I found it very useful.  

3 hours ago, LauraB said:

It used to be that when someone sent me a PM, I would receive an email notification that included the Username of the sender and the text of the message. Since the recent Invision upgrade, however, I am no longer receiving these emails.  Is there any way to activate this feature?  I found it very useful.  

Click on your member name (top-right) -> "Account Settings" -> "Notification Settings"

You'll have a bevy of things you can choose to get emails, pop-ups, etc. for. Let me know if this doesn't fix the issue.

Everyone who reads this message should go through this exercise - there are a *lot* of custom settings on that page.

On 7/19/2016 at 10:47 AM, DaveO said:

The other day I realized I was following the news via facebook.  I thought of this post.  Its not something I do. In fact never.  During the day though I realized I was doing exactly that which I purposefully avoid.  Two posts by two different people describing somewhat obscure pieces of news in general, but compelling to me had crossed my view.  I further researched them.  In that vein the further research is something I'd often do on any piece of info that seems obscure. 

In any case I'd go back to johnb's suggestion and practice (one I subscribe to).  If one wants to follow the news one should read way beyond Facebook.

It's really easy to fall into habits, and to reach for what's closest instead of what's best. I dream that one day, donrockwell.com will be an important website for getting the news, but realistically, that won't happen in my lifetime; what I'm instead hoping to see are signs of becoming "The Comments Section" (the domain name "The.CommentsSection.com" is unavailable). That, too, will probably not happen in my lifetime unless I can rally, and find an investor or a partner, but the seeds can at least be sown - I'm hopeful (and somewhat optimistic) that one day, this website will be an adjunct to major news organizations, essentially replacing the chaos of their lawless, wild-West, reader-response sections with the focused, educated, polite commentary that is our hallmark. As the internet comes closer-and-closer to emulating the real world, so, too, will these discussions come closer-and-closer to what you'd experience in person: talking face-to-face in a group.

One thing the internet will *always* be is a provider of two-way communication. Reading is nice, just as watching a movie is nice, but you don't need the internet for that; one of the primary powers of the internet is that it enables two-way communication performed in real time - this is why the "traditional restaurant review" where a journalist preaches from the pulpit, or lectures from the podium, to a presumably uneducated herd of sponges, is going the way of the dodo - it's happening right now, before our very eyes; in 2005, after doing this for a year on eGullet, I thought I'd discovered a model for replacement that takes full advantage of the internet, and 11 years later, I'm more convinced than ever that the passage of time will bear us out, and, should it become necessary, leave us the last one standing. Eleven years ago, one would dare not speak of this, but now, the forces of change are so overwhelming that it doesn't matter what anyone says. In our particular situation, we'll need to make it easier to use video, preferably two-way video, in our basic structure, as well as staying on top of things like Twitter, global mapping, voice recognition, and all other major innovations that the internet supports, and will support going forward. 

The other day, Invision (the company who makes the software we use) wrote me and said, just as a side comment, that what we do with member verification is something that they simply don't see in a forum of our size. I always knew we were thorough, but I didn't realize it was anything unique - even though Invision meant this as a throwaway bit of information, I took it as an extraordinary compliment, because I view our members as our #1 asset, and comments like this are indicative of just how much I value our members - despite all the incredible, nearly unbelievable, technological change that is occurring as we speak, nothing is more important than remembering to be guided by long-established, fundamental values, such as politeness, respect for others, and basic human decency. This is why we still allow pseudonyms as member names - in order to respect our members' privacy - even though this may not be identical to a real-life situation, I see no compelling reason to do otherwise, given that we use such a laborious process to get to know our members behind the scenes before they join. Once again, I wish to say "thank you" and pay tribute to our Membership Director, Pat, for all she does.

Our primary focus was, is, and will always be our uniquely focused, intelligent, well-organized discussion about restaurants, with Washington, DC as our birthplace - and any growth in other areas must not do anything to compromise this: our raison d'Ăªtre. If all else goes to hell, we will fall back on this and this alone - it's more than enough by itself.

Don -  The last couple of posts I've made have been strange.  Each time I hit "submit", I'd get an error message saying "Something went wrong.  Please try again".  I hit the "back" button because I wanted to try to retrieve my message, and it took me back to the thread I was in but it had my message posted twice.  My most recent attempt to post a message showed up 4 times

I'm also having trouble posting photos.  I can select a photo as usual, but I can't seem to get it inserted into the post anymore.

37 minutes ago, Bart said:

Don -  The last couple of posts I've made have been strange.  Each time I hit "submit", I'd get an error message saying "Something went wrong.  Please try again".  I hit the "back" button because I wanted to try to retrieve my message, and it took me back to the thread I was in but it had my message posted twice.  My most recent attempt to post a message showed up 4 times

I'm also having trouble posting photos.  I can select a photo as usual, but I can't seem to get it inserted into the post anymore.

Try now - we were upgrading. If you fix your "Tomatoes" post, you should be all set.

There is still one more problem with the (supposedly "minor") upgrade: The Beer and Wine forum is inaccessible. I sent a ticket to Invision, and they've escalated it - they won't start working on it until Monday, but they'll get it working in due time; in the meantime, we can't access that one forum.

If anyone else clicks on anything and gets a weird error message, please alert me! That's the only thing I know of right now.

I was wondering why people weren't using star ratings for hotels, and I thought it was a failed concept. Until about two minutes ago, when I realized that *only I* had the permission to use them!

Now, anyone with 10 posts can use them, and change them whenever they wish (so if you find a cockroach on your second stay at that 4-star hotel, you can nick them).

Requiring 10 posts ensures that only well-established members - Power Members - will be rating hotels, so the ratings will actually mean quite a bit - they're not just some junk-throw-away thing to use as click-bait. When you see a 4-star hotel on this website, you can be *darned sure* that it's an excellent property. Even a 3-star rating is worth looking into, and if you see a hotel that's rated 2-stars, be wary of it.

In fact, these ratings are so valuable, that I'm seriously considering making the Hotels forums visible *only* to people with 10 posts, and that's something that may well be coming up in the future, so *start posting*! I plan on rewarding our Power Members in many different way going forward, and for now, 10 posts establishes you, in my eyes, as a Power Member.

This star system doesn't seem like much on the surface, but our 10-post members are incredibly valued - cherished, and you should take anything they say seriously. They are the brains behind this website.

6 hours ago, Pool Boy said:

[Still having issues uploading pictures from time to time. Dang it. Is there a tutorial on the site someplace where it is pinned to refer to when I am having issues like this? It keeps telling me I am limited to 2MB only and even when I pick a single image I am apparently over that limit. Yet, in the past, it auto renders them down. Why it does so sometimes, and not others is pretty annoying.]

Send me a PM and we'll work this out.

Thanks.  I was trying to access it from the front page of the site and it wasn't clickable. The letters are black (not clickable) for the guide while the letters are blue (clickable) for the DC forum.  (See photo)

I was able to get into it after I entered the DC forum  

image.png

On 9/26/2016 at 0:47 PM, Bart said:

Thanks.  I was trying to access it from the front page of the site and it wasn't clickable. The letters are black (not clickable) for the guide while the letters are blue (clickable) for the DC forum.  (See photo)

I was able to get into it after I entered the DC forum  

Try clicking on the top one, above "Help Needed."

Just curious.....

My wife and I used a customized Google Maps map we created (with multiple layers) on our trip to Hong Kong. We pin pointed sites to see, places to dine (breakfasts, lunches, dinners, drinks, snacks, etc) and so on. It was very convenient to not only remember everything we'd bookmarked for the trip, but also to point out to taxi drivers on the few times we used them.

Anyway, I know there's been people suggesting before on how to best present data to members here to find restaurants that are near them to pull up on their phones and such. Not that I am a member of the volunteer staff here, but I think it would be theoretically possible to create a Google Map that was customized for this purpose. Then, assuming it was shared publicly (or at least with members here?), people could associated it with their Google account and always be able to pull it up. Some of the custom features you can embed in such a map are not just the location on the map with a pin (colors of your choice, we used different ones for different layers), but one or more hyperlinks (say the website of the place, link to the discussion on DR, links to relevant reservation systems of the given restaurant, etc), notes to yourself (or in this case the community) and so on.

It would be a large undertaking to create it. It would be an ongoing undertaking to keep it up to date. But it would sure be handy. Anyway, just one way to potentially solve the sometimes requested map function. I am sure there might be easier ways, just thought I would throw it out there for eventual consideration.

On 10/29/2016 at 3:27 PM, Pool Boy said:

It would be a large undertaking to create it. It would be an ongoing undertaking to keep it up to date. But it would sure be handy. Anyway, just one way to potentially solve the sometimes requested map function. I am sure there might be easier ways, just thought I would throw it out there for eventual consideration.

LIke this one, perhaps?  The restaurants are a little over a month out of date, but never much more than that.  The bars need work.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2016 at 3:27 PM, Pool Boy said:

Just curious.....

My wife and I used a customized Google Maps map we created (with multiple layers) on our trip to Hong Kong. We pin pointed sites to see, places to dine (breakfasts, lunches, dinners, drinks, snacks, etc) and so on. It was very convenient to not only remember everything we'd bookmarked for the trip, but also to point out to taxi drivers on the few times we used them.

nashman1975 first brought this up over ten years ago - I played around with it one day for about an hour, and did a test West End Map (which is even in the Dining Guide - it has special markings for Italics and Bold). It's grunt work to create, and even more of a pain to maintain, but there's nothing difficult about it at all - the data is already there; it's just a matter of plugging it in, and then maintaining it once it's plugged in. I decided this was more than I can do on my own, given everything else that I'm doing, but when I get some venture capital and/or the right kind of help (I just started working on this a few weeks ago), it's on the to-do list. 

Instead of supplying what I term "naked links" such as this: http:///www.nationalgeographic.com/saving-the-clams

The website standard is (and has been!) as follows, and if folks could do this, I'd really appreciate it, as it will save me a lot of time:

"Title in Quotes" (with everything capitalized except prepositions (which, about, in, that, around, etc.)) by Author Name on website name in lowercase

So:

"Title" by Author on website

---

To insert a hyperlink, simply highlight the text that you wish to be a hyperlink, i.e., "The Title" in this case. Then click the "chain link" (5th icon from left, top row - looks like an infinity sign), and in the pop-up box, put in the URL that you want the text to link to, an click "Insert into Post" (which will also be in the pop-up box). It's a simple, 20-second operation.

Note that when you put in the URL, the easiest thing is often to cut-and-paste it from somewhere. But if you're typing it in, you don't need to include the "http" or the "www" (although you can if you wish); you can simply type, e.g., donrockwell.com and it will be fine.

Please see the above post for our "Website Standard for Inserting Links."

---

There is a bug in our Invision software which will be fixed during the next release / upgrade (weeks away).

Until then, there's a "cheat" you can use. Whenever you click on a restaurant or link in the Dining Guide, and it says "That Link Does Not Exist," you can fix the URL yourself, manually, as follows:

Here's an example of a URL that won't work:

http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php /topic/47823-modmarket-a-denver-based-healthy-real-food-franchise-in-bethesda-row/

You see the space I put in after "php" in the URL? (I put that space in there so it wouldn't auto-resolve, and so that you could actually see the URL).

Anyway, simply put a "question mark" after the letters "php" and it will work. 

http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php? /topic/47823-modmarket-a-denver-based-healthy-real-food-franchise-in-bethesda-row/

If you take out the space of the top URL, and click on it, it won't work. 

If you take out the space of the bottom URL, it will work.

That's the cheat - it'll all be resolved within weeks, with my apologies.

It's "Administrative Announcement Day" - this is the 3rd one (scroll up and read the other two - they're important).

Regarding being notified about things:

1) click your member name (top-right)

2) click "Account Settings"

3) click "Notification Settings"

4) scroll down - there's a whole bevy of settings you can set, to be notified by email of things, or not. Whatever you want to do is fine.

2 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Here's an example of a URL that won't work:

http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php /topic/47823-modmarket-a-denver-based-healthy-real-food-franchise-in-bethesda-row/

You see the space I put in after "php" in the URL? (I put that space in there so it wouldn't auto-resolve, and so that you could actually see the URL).

Anyway, simply put a "question mark" after the letters "php" and it will work. 

http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php? /topic/47823-modmarket-a-denver-based-healthy-real-food-franchise-in-bethesda-row/

If you take out the space of the top URL, and click on it, it won't work. 

If you take out the space of the bottom URL, it will work.

That's the cheat - it'll all be resolved within weeks, with my apologies.

This will also always work:  http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php?showtopic=47823

1 hour ago, RWBooneJr said:

Yes, it doesn't matter what's on the right of the topic number (it can be nothing; it can be anything) - the bug occurred during an Invision version upgrade - somehow, some way, the non-question mark used to be valid, and they just neglected to put it in when they converted us. Invision wrote me, told me it was a bug on their part, and that it would be fixed when I convert to the next version.

As Rich knows, the terms permalink, persistent identifier, and the hilarious link rot apply here - "link rot" is exactly why I link to Wikipedia whenever possible, even though it may not be "the best" link for a given noun: It will still be around in twenty years (if it isn't, I'm totally hosed). Link rot is also why building a website is difficult; *maintaining* a website is an angry bear, and the older and bigger the bear, the more often you need to feed it.

If you come across any "link rot" (i.e., broken links to other websites) here, please send me a PM and let me know - I try to correct them as I encounter them, but it should be obvious that it's impossible with a website of this size.

7 hours ago, DonRocks said:

We'll soon be upgrading to the latest version of Invision. One important thing:

Auto-saved content in the editor will now be expiring after 48 hours.

We've been upgraded.

Important: If anyone finds *any* link that is broken (in the dining guide, for example), please PM me and let me know, because they're all supposed to be fixed now.

I was going to surprise everyone with a fully completed San Francisco (and North Bay) Forum, but it's just taking me too long to get it going by myself. So I may do what I did with New York City - move the entire thread into a pinned "Dining in San Francisco" thread (as well as moving the entire Napa thread into a pinned "Dining in North Bay" thread), and splitting things off as I can.

I spent probably 500 hours working on Philadelphia and Los Angeles, and had both of them *exactly perfect* before I created the new Forums, but they don't seem like they're any more, or less, successful than the New York Forum - which *still* has a *TON* of single restaurants in the "Dining in New York" thread which need to be split off into separate threads; the problem is: There literally aren't enough hours in the day for me to do everything that needs to be done, and I don't have anyone to help me. I'm trying to do a million things at once: run the website, write reviews (ha ha - I have almost no time to write reviews anymore - I've been to every single restaurant in our polls, and am so tired at the end of the day, that I can't write well enough to want to publish anything), moderate the forums, create indexes, etc. etc. etc., not to mention the fact that I'm dealing with a chronic injury that nobody can diagnose, the pain from which would send the average person to the Emergency Room within one hour (I'm not exaggerating).

So, what does everyone think about creating the San Francisco Forum, and flushing out The Mother Thread (for both San Francisco and New York) as time and resources permit?

It's better to have a separate forum - with indexes for the restaurants - than it is to cram everything into one, single thread in The Intrepid Traveler forum, that's for sure. The "nice surprise" aspect will be gone, but does that really matter?

The alternative is probably waiting an entire year - I've already been working on it for months, and have gotten precious little accomplished.

I say let's go for it, and split off the big threads when time and resources permit - I need twenty paid employees to maintain this level of work, but oh my goodness, if I *had* them, we'd be competing with Yelp and Reddit in short order.

• Like 1

This is a request; not a requirement. But it's a request made strongly and in earnest.

Would folks please try and use thumbnails instead of full-sized pictures?

All you have to do is this:

1) When the picture is in your post, double-click on it, and you'll get a pop-up box
2) Change the left parameter to 1/10th the size it currently is.
3) Click "Done" and you have your thumbnail - the picture will auto-adjust.

Do this with every photo in your post, and you'll have all thumbnails. This is important: *Anyone* reading your post can expand the thumbnail(s) just by clicking on them - you can even scroll through every single picture in your post without returning to the text; or, you can just expand one-at-a-time, and then go back to read the text.

I'm here to help. I *always* use thumbnails because there's just no reason not to. They make the posts a more-manageable size, and more posts can fit on a page. Plus, they don't dominate other people's posts which don't rely as heavily on pictures. 

Don't get me wrong, I love pictures, and so do most readers, so I want people to continue to use them; it's just that more-and-more people are using full-sized photos, when there's really no need to. You can get the *exact same effect* with thumbnails, without having such huge posts. Believe me, if it didn't work just as well, I'd do it myself. 

Here's an example - a post on the film "All About Eve" - just click on any photo you wish. (Note that the bottom two items are YouTube videos; not photos, and they can't be downsized - if nothing else, watch the first minute of the last video for a *very* famous quote, and also a surprising picture of a rising young star.)

Please at least think about it? And if you decide you don't want to, keep doing what you're doing. Again, this is a request; not a requirement (but I would like to know *why* some people insist on large photos - would you write me and tell me? I might be missing something.)

Cheers,
Rocks

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TrelayneNYC said:

I like photos that are 640x580 in size, approx.

They're halfway between full size and thumbnail size and are large enough for people to see without their having to click on the thumbnail.

I waver between the two as you can see.

That's perfectly fine, and thanks for the info.

On 4/17/2017 at 7:44 AM, DonRocks said:

This is a request; not a requirement. But it's a request made strongly and in earnest.

Would folks please try and use thumbnails instead of full-sized pictures?

I would have tried to do so, but my recent post is linking to the photos I had to upload elsewhere instead of the site allowing me to upload them directly. Sorry!

At the 'top level'of DonRockwellian Food are New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, Philadelphia, Washington and Baltimore. All in that most curious order.

When I look at Houston, it has 97 posts. About 43 places to eat in Philadelphia.

Then I look at the Intrepifd Traveler section and notice this that make me say 'Hmmmmmmm.' Like, New Orleans, Chicago, Las Vegas, Charlottesville, VA,  Paris, Boston and THIRTEEN other cities (9 of those in USA) that have more posts.

Just curious what makes Houston stand out?

Just pontifficating.

On 7/14/2017 at 10:18 PM, Pool Boy said:

At the 'top level'of DonRockwellian Food are New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, Philadelphia, Washington and Baltimore. All in that most curious order.

When I look at Houston, it has 97 posts. About 43 places to eat in Philadelphia.

Then I look at the Intrepifd Traveler section and notice this that make me say 'Hmmmmmmm.' Like, New Orleans, Chicago, Las Vegas, Charlottesville, VA,  Paris, Boston and THIRTEEN other cities (9 of those in USA) that have more posts.

Just curious what makes Houston stand out?

Just pontifficating.

Uh...me?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

You can always just write me and ask. :)

It's a combination of boredom with DC (I'm at the point where I'm having the same chefs' cuisine at the 4th or 5th different restaurant, with a different combination of staff), large population centers, valuable members who have moved to these large population centers, and most importantly: My not having much help. I'd love to have a forum for every city in the world, but with a couple of exceptions, I'm doing this all myself, and I'm in no position to even (for example) split out the "Dining in San Francisco" and "Dining in Napa County" posts properly - that's why they're still so huge. 

So if I could get some help or funding, I could make this a much better place - I still hope to get more local residents to join, but until (or, probably more accurately, unless) my injury gets better, I'm maxed out. And I refuse to charge for membership or run ads without proper guidance from an investor. One day I'll be gone, and the community will probably start growing at that point.

On 7/21/2017 at 11:00 AM, DonRocks said:

You can always just write me and ask. :)

It's a combination of boredom with DC (I'm at the point where I'm having the same chefs' cuisine at the 4th or 5th different restaurant, with a different combination of staff), large population centers, valuable members who have moved to these large population centers, and most importantly: My not having much help. I'd love to have a forum for every city in the world, but with a couple of exceptions, I'm doing this all myself, and I'm in no position to even (for example) split out the "Dining in San Francisco" and "Dining in Napa County" posts properly - that's why they're still so huge. 

So if I could get some help or funding, I could make this a much better place - I still hope to get more local residents to join, but until (or, probably more accurately, unless) my injury gets better, I'm maxed out. And I refuse to charge for membership or run ads without proper guidance from an investor. One day I'll be gone, and the community will probably start growing at that point.

I'm not sure of your traffic stats, DR, or if you have them broken out between registered users versus unregistered, but you could totally make a meaningful amount of revenue to help support, re-tool and grow the site without going overboard on ads or sponsored content. Believe me, I am not a fan of ads, but that is what drives the content business these days. Over the last 6 months at my current gig, I have learned an awful lot about content monetization. But it really depends on the scale of your traffic. Ping me if you want some details. I am sure I could connect you with some folks that could help you by a side contracting gig.