Administrative Announcement - Use Email Address To Sign In

DonRocks

yeah, from about 4pm until 10 last night I couldn't get access to the site at all. i sat there for 6 hours hitting REFRESH REFRESH. panic set in. i began to sweat and my hands shook.

i need to find a hobby.

Me too. I could view the board index, but couldn't access any actual posts. No problems today.

I think that what happened was that the donrockwell.com zone got fat-fingered...

The nameservers for donrockwell.com -- as given in the donrockwell.com zone -- seem to have been set for a while to ns1.ipsink.com and ns2.ipsink.com. Unfortunately, that domain doesn't exist. However, the delegation in the com servers seems to have been correct.

So things would kinda-sorta work, sometimes, for a while: you'd look up www.donrockwell.com, and your nameserver wouldn't know jack about it, so it'd ask the com nameservers "gimme the address for www.donrockwell.com", and it'd get back "I don't know, go ask ns1.ipslink.com and ns2.ipslink.com, here's the IP addresses".

So (as a mild oversimplication), that'd get cached in the nameserver, and you'd go ask ns1.ipslink.com or ns2.ipslink.com, and you'd get an answer, which you'd also cache for a while. In that process, you'd end up getting the "official" nameservers from the donrockwell.com zone, which are the ones that were misspelled.

But eventually your cached address record for donrockwell.com would time out.

So you'd have to go ask the nameservers for donrockwell.com for the answer again.

But the only nameservers you now know about don't exist (because of that missing 'l'). So you can't get an answer.

I think this has been fixed in the donrockwell.com zone, so my guess is that as the botched nameserver records for donrockwell.com time out, people should regain access. Here at Maison Miller, I restarted the nameserver to force that to happen, but most people don't run nameservers at home...

That's the quick (and not so clear) version -- I should go back to listening to my work conference call. I guess. :(

Here at Maison Miller, I restarted the nameserver to force that to happen, but most people don't run nameservers at home...

An increasing number of home routers now come with built-in DNS caching, and some will default to handing out the router's own address with any DHCP requests instead of forwarding bits from the WAN side. So in fact, a fair number of people may simply be unaware that they have a nameserver at home.

English translation: things should fix themselves eventually, but the impatient might also consider unplugging/replugging the power to their (wireless) router, if rebooting their PC doesn't work.

(Dang, I get to add info to a MrP post on networking? :( I first learned IP programming from a primer he coauthored in '84...)

I spoke too soon -- it's still horked up.

What my nameserver here said before I reloaded:

[steve@newbie steve]$ dig ns donrockwell.com.

; <<>> DiG 9.3.3 <<>> ns donrockwell.com.

;; global options: printcmd

;; Got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 32883

;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;donrockwell.com. IN NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:

donrockwell.com. 69884 IN NS ns2.ipsink.com.

donrockwell.com. 69884 IN NS ns1.ipsink.com.

so again I'm pointed at the bogus "ipsink" nameservers.

The com servers say:

; <<>> DiG 9.3.3 <<>> @a.gtld-servers.net a www.donrockwell.com.

; (2 servers found)

;; Got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 26853

;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;www.donrockwell.com. IN A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:

donrockwell.com. 172800 IN NS ns1.ipslink.com.

donrockwell.com. 172800 IN NS ns2.ipslink.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:

ns1.ipslink.com. 172800 IN A 67.15.107.31

ns2.ipslink.com. 172800 IN A 67.15.107.32

and the nameservers at ipslink.com both say:

; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> @ns2.ipslink.com soa donrockwell.com

; (1 server found)

;; Got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 469

;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;donrockwell.com. IN SOA

;; ANSWER SECTION:

donrockwell.com. 14440 IN SOA ns1.ipsink.com. servnotify.invisionpower.com. 2008010901 14400 7200 3600000 86400

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:

donrockwell.com. 86400 IN NS ns1.ipsink.com.

donrockwell.com. 86400 IN NS ns2.ipsink.com.

so they're definitely the ones handing out the bad information (or ipsink.com is a domain that's supposed to exist, but I think whois would behave slightly differently if that was indeed the case).

So if you don't already have NS or A records for donrockwell.com, you'll ask the com servers, who'll point you temporarily at the right ones, until your nameserver tosses the glue that the com server provides and gets the "real" answer from the authoritative servers. Or something much like that.

But the people who manage the donrockwell.com domain need to fix their freakin' typo!

I just got this message from Invision's system administrator (sent at 2:41 PM)

---

Hello,

We have been having some DNS issues this morning that we just corrected. It will take 3-4 hours for the DNS to completely work itself out though.

Thank you,

XXXX YYYY

System Administrator

Invision Power Services

While it's possible that the Invision people are correct, there is at least some reason to think they're wrong, as it's been more than 3-4 hours, and the DNS for donrockwell.com is still botched (see below).

Perhaps they could elaborate on the DNS problem they had, because maybe they had more than one DNS problem...

; <<>> DiG 9.3.3 <<>> @ns1.ipslink.com soa donrockwell.com.

; (1 server found)

;; Got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 63145

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;donrockwell.com. IN SOA

;; ANSWER SECTION:

donrockwell.com. 14440 IN SOA ns1.ipsink.com. servnotify.invisionpower.com. 2008010901 14400 7200 3600000 86400

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:

;; Query time: 63 msec

;; SERVER: 67.15.107.31#53(67.15.107.31)

;; WHEN: Thu Jan 10 20:41:48 2008

;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 137

; <<>> DiG 9.3.3 <<>> @ns2.ipslink.com soa donrockwell.com.

; (1 server found)

;; Got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 63834

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;donrockwell.com. IN SOA

;; ANSWER SECTION:

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:

;; Query time: 49 msec

;; SERVER: 67.15.107.32#53(67.15.107.32)

;; WHEN: Thu Jan 10 20:43:19 2008

[steve@newbie steve]$ whois ipsink.com

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered

with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net

for detailed information.

No match for "IPSINK.COM".

While it's possible that the Invision people are correct, there is at least some reason to think they're wrong, as it's been more than 3-4 hours, and the DNS for donrockwell.com is still botched (see below).

Perhaps they could elaborate on the DNS problem they had, because maybe they had more than one DNS problem...

;; ANSWER SECTION:

I'm going with the "wrong" theory. DIG is still reporting the above SOA against from both ns1 and ns2.ipslink.com; the safety net seems to be that the gtld servers still have the old, "correct" information cached (with a 48 hr TTL). As the error appears to have been introduced within the past 47 hours, this might get worse first.

Following convention, the serial number of 2008010901 indicates that Invision's server is still using the version of the zone config that was edited yesterday, containing the errors. Looks like somebody didn't drink their coffee that morning: in addition to misspelling "ipslink", they set a TTL value for the SOA record of 14440 instead of the commonly-used value of 1440 (seconds, or about four hours).

If Invision made corrections to the configs for donrockwell.com earlier today, their servers still don't know about it.

I think Invision thinks they've fixed something, but they don't know about the typo, because they're not paying attention.

The serial number on the SOA has changed, which indicates that they've changed something, and they're following a convention that leads me to think they've changed something today.

But they still don't have the l in ipslink.com.

Argh. If it'd help, I'd be happy to talk to them directly.

Dave, do you have a static IP address? We could just ask Don if he could change nameservers through his registrar, to something we control... :(

; <<>> DiG 9.3.3 <<>> @ns2.ipslink.com soa donrockwell.com.

; (1 server found)

;; Got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 33774

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;donrockwell.com. IN SOA

;; ANSWER SECTION:

donrockwell.com. 86400 IN SOA ns1.ipsink.com. servnotify.invisionpower.com. 2008011101 86400 7200 3600000 86400

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:

;; Query time: 47 msec

;; SERVER: 67.15.107.32#53(67.15.107.32)

;; WHEN: Fri Jan 11 19:05:29 2008

I think Invision thinks they've fixed something, but they don't know about the typo, because they're not paying attention.

The serial number on the SOA has changed, which indicates that they've changed something, and they're following a convention that leads me to think they've changed something today.

But they still don't have the l in ipslink.com.

I just passed your message onto Invision, and found this note from about 3 PM:

"I went ahead and deleted and recreated the DNS zone for the site. This should ensure that everyone gets an update. It will take 3-4 hours to completely update for most users."

Thanks MrPorcupine!

I think they're just thinking "oh, gotta recreate this", and not realizing that they've fumble-fingered their idea of what should go in the zone...

If the serial number doesn't change from 2008011101 in the next few hours, the update's already happened; if it does change but there's no 'l' yet, they definitely don't recognize the typo. We shall see.

I think they're just thinking "oh, gotta recreate this", and not realizing that they've fumble-fingered their idea of what should go in the zone...

If the serial number doesn't change from 2008011101 in the next few hours, the update's already happened; if it does change but there's no 'l' yet, they definitely don't recognize the typo. We shall see.

Mr. Porcupine, you were absolutely correct, and you rock our world. Invision's response:

"Hi there!

You can thank your user for their diligence - there was indeed a typo that stemmed from a minor configuration error when the server was setup, this has now been corrected and I've verified that your individual DNS zone has been corrected as well... hopefully this will fix the issue for your guests.

Please let us know if there are any further problems, sorry for the inconvenience!

Regards,

Ryan Strauss

Senior Systems Engineer

Invision Power Services, Inc.

To better assist our customers, IPS wants to get some feedback from our hosting customers about their experience with our hosting services. Please take the time to fill out the hosting survey by clicking "your Feedback" from the left hand side of the screen of your client center and clicking the survey title "Hosting Survey.""

All this to say, Mr. Porcupine, that your pit-bull-like dilligence found the typo. Typos, by my experience as a programmer, are devilishly difficult to find, but once they're found, it's obvious they're a primary cause of woe. You found it, they ended up listening, and this entire community owes you a debt of gratitute. THANK YOU VERY MUCH, FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART.

This could have dragged on for days or a week if it weren't for your dilligence. Cheers, man! Rocks.

Thanks! And glad I could be of help.

I think it'll take a while longer for some of the "bad" nameserver records to work their way out of people's caches; the time-to-live on the broken records was one day, so an ever-decreasing amount of stuff will stay broken until up to 24 hours after the fix was installed. I know I had to restart the nameserver in my house to force the bad NS records to be flushed.

But a DNS lookup by hand now shows that things are in good shape (and the serial number was incremented, in a way that makes it likely that they did this before midnight (-: ).

; <<>> DiG 9.3.3 <<>> @ns1.ipslink.com soa donrockwell.com.

; (1 server found)

;; Got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 54115

;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;donrockwell.com. IN SOA

;; ANSWER SECTION:

donrockwell.com. 86400 IN SOA ns1.ipslink.com. servnotify.invisionpower.com. 2008011102 86400 7200 3600000 86400

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:

donrockwell.com. 86400 IN NS ns2.ipslink.com.

donrockwell.com. 86400 IN NS ns1.ipslink.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:

ns1.ipslink.com. 3600 IN A 67.15.107.31

ns2.ipslink.com. 3600 IN A 67.15.107.32

;; Query time: 47 msec

;; SERVER: 67.15.107.31#53(67.15.107.31)

No big deal, but I have not been getting notification of personal messages that await me when I log in.

I think that the ipsink-versus-ipslink confusion was still there, off in some corner somewhere, either in the mail-server config on the Invision side or on the part of the DNS that turns IP addresses back into hostnames. My home "show me whose email I've rejected today for not being from a real domain" report was showing failures for a while from server42.ipsink.com.

I didn't have time to track this down, but the last occurrence I see of this in my mail logs was on Jan 21, and the email notification for a test PM I sent myself made it to me, so I think this has been fixed. I now see server42.ipslink.com in the mail headers on the "you have a PM" notification.

(I was reminded of this yesterday while talking with another dr.com member, and finally had a few minutes to check into it...)

And if you are wondering what goes on in the member registration process, here is a run-down of the new and improved process:

Register here to enter your choice of log-in name, display name and email address. This information then goes to create an account and you are listed as "Validating" in the registration queue. The password you enter always remains completely private and none of the administrators ever have access to it (which is why, if you forget your password, we need to temporarily reset it to something else).

To keep out the spammers, we validate all of the new registrations manually (rather than having the software automatically validate the accounts). So, immediately after you register (this is the new and improved part), a validation letter is automatically sent out by the software. One of the main purposes of this letter is to show that the email address you gave when registering is a valid, working email address. If you have registered and do not receive a validation letter within 10 minutes of registering, please, please, please check your email's spam repository!!!

What you need to do to validate your account is to email us back at THIS ADDRESS with:

-- Your first and last names

-- City of residence

-- How you found DonRockwell.com

-- If you're in the restaurant/food industry or not (IF YOU ARE, KEEP READING)

Restaurant/Food Industry Professionals (chef/cook, server, sommelier, food writer, food educator, food chemist, food/dining-related business owner, food-related public relations and so on): You also need to let us know the name of your restaurant, business or place of employment. This information will be seen only by Don Rockwell and the site's membership administrators. Although we only require you to disclose this information in private, we do strongly encourage you to publicly state where you work when posting.

Providing your personal information is something we ask of all members and it will be kept strictly private and not shared with anyone outside of the website administrators.

Once we receive a response to the validation letter with the requested information, we enter your information in the membership spreadsheet and validate your account so you will be a "Member" and have full access to the board. You can then begin posting, search the site and access the Restaurant Guide.

At that point, we stop bugging you. :mellow: However, if you ever do have any questions about your account, forget your log-in/password, want to change your display/log-in name, update your email address, or just have a question about the site, I am here to help. Just contact me via email or PM and I'll be happy to do whatever I can to be of assistance.

So it's been suggested that I post this explanation here:

Basically when you reply you get a screen that looks like

["quote"]asdflkj["/quote"]

What you should do is after the quote only hit enter once or not at all...

so either

["/quote"]hi

or

["/quote"]

hi

thus resulting in (note the spacing between the quote and the hi)

asdflkj
hi

or

asdflkj

hi

Hopefully this is clearer =D

All,

A terrible tragedy has befallen one of our own. Especially after some initial misreporting on the internet (the details you might have seen on another website were false), things must necessarily remain silent out of respect for family members, and not be discussed here. Please say a prayer for one of our family.

FROM HILLVALLEY'S POST LAST DECEMBER

A retrospective of Don's history of triple spacing issues over the past two and a half years. (Feels a lot longer, doesn't it?)

*This post has been altered to remove all triple and quadruple spacing.

what are you trying to say, Don?

Don't like the way the posts on the board are organized? There are Options!

Click on a thread, any thread, and look for the light blue "Options" button up near the right hand corner of the first post. Then click on that button and choose one of the three display modes:

Outline

Standard

Linear+

But, wait, there's more!

On the main dr.com page, scroll all the way down to the very bottom of the page and look for the "Lo-Fi Version" link. Click on that link if you want a no-frills view of the board.

Still not satisfied? There are even more board display settings options found when you click on the appropriately named "Board Settings" under the "Options" menu on the left side of the "My Controls" page (the link to this page is at the top right of your screen if you are a member and signed in).

Better? Worse? Switch back and forth until you find the look you prefer (or a more productive use of your time).

Thanks! That's just what I needed to set my view to Standard!

Sometimes a Google search will return a thread in "Outline" form, which is incredibly annoying and won't go away until you manually reset your settings to "Standard." Thanks for bringing this up, mktye - I suspect some people have simply given up and gone away because of being trapped in perma-Outline mode.

Boring legal stuff, but it needs to be done once in awhile. This user agreement is effective immediately, and supercedes all prior versions. Changes are in bold. Cheers, Rocks.

Please take a moment to review these Registration Terms and Rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.

All references to "donrockwell.com" refer to "www.donrockwell.com LLC."

alert, alert! WITHIN MINUTES, YOU WILL BE GETTING A CONFIRMATION EMAIL WHICH YOU NEED TO RETURN IN ORDER TO COMPLETE YOUR REGISTRATION - MAKE SURE EMAILS FROM DONROCKWELL.COM DON'T GO INTO YOUR SPAM FOLDER - IF IT DOESN'T ARRIVE WITHIN FIVE MINUTES, PLEASE CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER!

IF YOU CAN"T FIND AN EMAIL MESSAGE FROM US ANYWHERE, THAT MEANS YOUR INTERNET PROVIDER HAS BLOCKED IT - A PROBLEM THAT IS COMMON WITH AOL, COMCAST AND YAHOO ACCOUNTS.

TO COMPLETE YOUR REGISTRATION IF YOU HAVE NOT RECEIVED THE AUTOMATICALLY-GENERATED CONFIRMATION MESSAGE CLICK HERE AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS IN BOLD.

You agree to provide your real, full name and other certain other limited data when you register. While we encourage you to use your real name either as your username or in your signature line, so long as you abide by the site's Terms and Rules this information will be held in confidence by the site's administrators, but you cannot participate unless you provide it. Your registration and continued participation on this board is at our complete and total discretion and may be suspended or cancelled at any time for any or no reason without notice.

You agree to be bound by the terms of these Terms and Rules as they exist at the time of your initial registration and any changes or amendments to them that might be made by us from time to time. Logging onto this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms and Rules as they exist at that time. We reserve the right to modify these Registration Terms and Rules at any time for any reason and, if we make substantive changes, we will make an announcement on the donrockwell.com bulletin board.

You agree that your participation in discussions on donrockwell.com, your use of the private messenger system, and any other activity involving donrockwell.com’s server or content are governed by these Terms and Rules. Whether you read these Terms and Rules or not, you will be legally bound by them when you use this site.

Please remember that we do not at all times actively monitor the activities of this bulletin board and are not responsible for any messages posted or their content. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, legality, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of Don Rockwell or donrockwell.com. Any Registrant who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by private message or email, or via the site's "Report" function. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this bulletin board, that you will not use it to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. If you engage in a persistent pattern of disruption, your registration will be cancelled and you may have your posts deleted, or have your conduct otherwise curtailed, at our complete discretion.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board, or you have the express consent of the copyright holder, or you otherwise comply with copyright laws governing the use of the material.

You agree not to use your individual affiliation with this bulletin board in any way to knowingly solicit, induce or receive, directly or indirectly, in any manner, any sort of remuneration, in the form of free or discounted items, special service or otherwise, outside of that which is available to each and every board member.

You agree that you will not share private information (such as real names, cities of residence, and email addresses) learned while being a member or moderator of this board without express permission from the parties involved.

YOU AGREE THAT YOU AND YOUR GUESTS WILL INDEMNIFY, DEFEND, AND HOLD HARMLESS DON ROCKWELL, DONROCKWELL.COM, ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, PARTNERS, AGENTS, AND EMPLOYEES (COLLECTIVELY, "DONROCKWELL.COM") FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL DEMANDS, ACTIONS, CLAIMS, SUITS IN EQUITY OF WHATEVER KIND OF NATURE, OR DAMAGES TO PERSONS OR PROPERY, LOSSES AND LIABILITIES, INCLUDING REASONABLE ATTORNEYS' FEES, ARISING OUT OF OR CAUSED BY DON ROCKWELL OR DONROCKWELL.COM'S NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE, IN CONNECTION WITH ALL RISKS, KNOWN AND UNKNOWN, IN THE PROVISION OF GOODS AND SERVICES (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE SALE AND SERVICE OF FOOD AND ALCOHOL) OR IN CONNECTION WITH EVENTS (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO EVENTS THAT INCLUDE THE CONSUMPTION OF ALCOHOL), SPONSORED BY DON ROCKWELL, OR DONROCKWELL.COM

These Registration Terms and Rules shall be governed by the laws of the state of Virginia, and any in-person proceedings must occur in the state of Virginia.

These Registration Terms and Rules took effect on May 7, 2008, and supersede all prior versions of the Registration Terms and Rules. Notice of changes was provided via site Administrative Announcement.

It's that time of year again! If your posts are showing up marked an hour late or the little time stamp at the bottom of the page is off by an hour...

3 steps and you're good-to-go:

1) Click on "My Controls" on the top-right part of the screen

2) Click on "Board Settings" in the left column on the screen

3) Uncheck the "Is Daylight Savings Time In Effect?" box and click on "Adjust my account settings"

Funny, today as I read this, I was thinking, just replace "George W. Bush" with "Don Rockwell":

The Decency of George W. Bush

By Michael Gerson

Friday, November 7, 2008; Page A19

"...But that humanity is precisely what I will remember. I have seen President Bush show more loyalty than he has been given, more generosity than he has received. I have seen his buoyancy under the weight of malice and his forgiveness of faithless friends. Again and again, I have seen the natural tug of his pride swiftly overcome by a deeper decency -- a decency that is privately engaging and publicly consequential..."

Invision's down, it's heaven;

The foodie boards are fried.

No Plotz to bore us;

No Rocks, Fat Guy.

Invision's got no people

Solving it today.

Invision's not a country

For leaders to rue.

But it's quite an eyesore,

With sacred cows too.

Invision's got no people

Left for it to fleece.