Side Dish for Sole or Trout Meuniere

Waitman

Just trying to figure out a simple side dish to complement some fish mueniere that may or may not be occurring tonight.  Sauteed spinach with garlic, and mashed potatoes seem obvious and are pretty tasty, but I thought I'd see what the resident culinary elite might recommend.  I'm reserving mushrooms for another fish course later in the week, so they're out. And, did I say simple? It is Tuesday and I do get up at 4:30 these days, so long preps are out.

Grazi.

What about a quick saute of summer squash finished with fresh herbs?  Add garlic or anything else you want.  When I get my hands on good tomatoes at this time of year, sometimes I just slice them up and serve as a side dish, but you could sprinkle them with a little olive oil, Parmesan and/or herbed bread crumbs and run under the broiler quickly.  

• Like 1

I won't weigh in on the wine (I'll leave that to the experts,cause I'm a philistine & would be drinking beer most likely), but I can't think of anything better than the previous veg suggestions (which probably says more about my lack of imagination than anything else)-I hope your trout is delicious & enjoyed by all the diners.

What I neglected to say is that this query was part of an ongoing series in which I pose questions the answers to which, for possibly existential reasons, become irrelevant before I have a chance to apply them to the task at hand (part one is here*).  So, what happened this time is that none of the Meuniere-type fish (I didn't need sole, but something delicate seemed indicated) at Whole Foods seemed fresh enough for so delicate a prep (does anyone else think that the fish in the Glover Park location is consistently better than the fish on P Street?) and I swung the other direction with mahi-mahi dusted with hot stuff and a pineapple salsa and served with tarted up canned black beans.  it was pretty delish, but the accompanying low-rent Savenniers proved disappointing.

I do, however, now have a powerful craving for meuniere (I will go to Black Salt), Mersault, potatoes and haricot verts which I intend to indulge in the near future, so your responses were not for naught.  Thanks.

*Have suggested District Kitchen for dinner tonight so the value of your response to that query was not naught neither.

Does Black Salt sell true sole? I seem never to be able to find it around here, seems everything is flounder. But I gave up looking quite a while ago so things may have changed. (What I really like is to poach it and serve it with shrimp in a JC-style Parisienne/Allemande sauce, which I used to do often on the West Coast but haven't done here in years.)