Positano Ristorante Italiano, Old-School Italian on Fairmont Avenue in Downtown Bethesda

Hard to believe a restaurant in business since 1977 has no thread here, unless I missed it. Wife and I were in Bethesda tonight strolling around and decided to give it a shot after years of driving by it.

Short story - average old school Italian, awful wine list, great service, decent value for what you get. Handwritten receipt - love it. Would rather head here when looking for Italian over Olazzo and other mediocre Italian spots in Bethesda. Not many options here for Italian food, someone save us.

• Like 1

Hard to believe a restaurant in business since 1977 has no thread here, unless I missed it. Wife and I were in Bethesda tonight strolling around and decided to give it a shot after years of driving by it.

Short story - average old school Italian, awful wine list, great service, decent value for what you get. Handwritten receipt - love it. Would rather head here when looking for Italian over Olazzo and other mediocre Italian spots in Bethesda. Not many options here for Italian food, someone save us.

Not only that, but I missed it on the Oldest Restaurants In The Area list as well.

This place is pretty lousy in my book. Been there twice I think for work related stuff and dramatically underwhelmed each time. MY guess is they own the building and that is the only reason they can stay in business - that and the large parties of people they cater to usually once a week with 50+ person parties. These parties of large numbers then tend to start early (6 or earlier) and muck up the parking at the garage attached to my office building and it is as though these people do not know how to deal with a parking garage! GAH! \endrant

I wonder if La Panetteria is still open. They used to be decent for lunch in the Woodmont triangle.

Not that it's relevant now, but for a few years Positano was considered one of the best Italian restaurants in the entire metro area.  It was very, very hard to get into.  This was before they expanded into the garage next door, maybe in the late 80s or early 90s.

Not that it's relevant now, but for a few years Positano was considered one of the best Italian restaurants in the entire metro area.  It was very, very hard to get into.  This was before they expanded into the garage next door, maybe in the late 80s or early 90s.

I've been watching Star Trek, and can't stop thinking about Positron Emissions when I see this name.

Personally, I find Positano, Panettaria, and Sorrento pretty much interchangeable, and I don't mean that in a bad way. All three are solid, classic, red-sauce Italian-American restaurants...don't think I've had a bad meal in any of them. Just curious Pool Boy, what was lousy about Positano?