Rebecca Ethiopian, Annapolis Road in Hyattsville With a Food Truck Downtown

Quality food truck lunch today from Rebecca's Ethiopian.  A pleasant surprise, as I had resigned myself to choosing from the local row of food trucks today after cancelling a lunchtime bike trip.

Rebecca's does not appear to have a Twitter account or any other online presence.  There is an Ethiopian restaurant and grocery with the same name up in Hyattsville, to which I'm guessing the truck is related.

Ordered the Meat Combo, ($9.99, tax included) which actually comes out looking better than the picture on the side of the truck.  It's a combination of Beef and Chicken wot (the truck uses the Ethiopian words like "doro," but I always struggle to keep straight which is which) with a hard-boiled egg, and a choice of any two of the vegetables (I went with the Kiki Alicha (split peas in a turmeric sauce) and the Gomen (collard greens), and requested extra injera on the side.  The truck offers a number of other dishes -- no kitfo, but beef and lamb tibs, a tilapia choice, and several others.  Those ordering the tibs were asked if they wanted "spicy" or "mild" -- that choice wasn't given to me, but the wots had excellent zing without leaving me back in my office with a burning tongue.

Leftovers will make a fine second meal.  Visa and Mastercard are accepted via Square.

I'll definitely be looking out for this truck again.

Quality food truck lunch today from Rebecca's Ethiopian.  A pleasant surprise, as I had resigned myself to choosing from the local row of food trucks today after cancelling a lunchtime bike trip.

Rebecca's does not appear to have a Twitter account or any other online presence.  There is an Ethiopian restaurant and grocery with the same name up in Hyattsville, to which I'm guessing the truck is related.

This truck was downtown, right? I went ahead and started a thread for the restaurant itself - this is a growing trend that hasn't seen any press: distal ethnic restaurants, virtually empty during the day, launching a food truck downtown, and probably making more money from the truck than they make all day in the restaurant, with the possible exception of carryout orders. Good for them, I say.

Another example is Mayur Kabab House, a decent little place that I suspect many readers have never heard of (it's across K Street from Brasserie Beck). They have not one, but two, food trucks that they dispatch downtown during the weekdays - I suspect they didn't get the second truck because they were losing money on the first.

The reverse case can be found in Pupatella or District Taco - rags-to-riches tales that began as a food cart or food truck, and made enough money to open a brick and mortar restaurant (which can then serve as a kitchen for the food truck).

This truck was downtown, right? I went ahead and started a thread for the restaurant itself - this is a growing trend that hasn't seen any press: distal ethnic restaurants, virtually empty during the day, launching a food truck downtown, and probably making more money from the truck than they make all day in the restaurant, with the possible exception of carryout orders. Good for them, I say.

Another example is Mayur Kabab House, a decent little place that I suspect many readers have never heard of (it's across K Street from Brasserie Beck). They have not one, but two, food trucks that they dispatch downtown during the weekdays - I suspect they didn't get the second truck because they were losing money on the first.

Yep, the truck was downtown.  If I see them again, I'll ask if they're connected to the place on Annapolis Road, just to make sure the hypothesis is accurate.

Would Langston Grill be another example of this trend, Don?  I don't know anything about the proprietors, but their food truck, in a number of variations, seems to give them a lunchtime outlet when I'd suspect their home business is slooooww.

I think the Fasika Ethiopian truck is also a restaurant offshoot.

• Like 1