World Of Beer, A Florida Beer-Bar Chain in Ballston and Reston Town Center

AvantReston.com has the announcement of the World of Beer which will open in the 15 story Avant Apartments across from Passion Fish.  Here is the link to the background page of the World of Beer.

It would seem that the World of Beer (which has an Arlington location) features beer and music with food serving a purpose.  Perhaps Town Center needs something like this to help the serve the market that Jackson's bar appeals to.

For myself, hope of a tapas bar (or an Estadio West), a destination restaurant or simply a restaurant that I could be proud to take a friend to...has returned to the back page.

World of Beer.  When I first saw the name I thought it was a store that sold beer.

Note:  for whatever reason I am having difficulty posting a link that works for the announcement.  Please google "Avant Reston blog" and you will see the link which should work.

For myself, hope of a tapas bar (or an Estadio West), a destination restaurant or simply a restaurant that I could be proud to take a friend to...has returned to the back page.

I'm with you, Joe. The Reston Town Center is mostly for the 20-somethings that swell the ranks of theTech companies and enjoy "happy hour quality" food and drink. Jackson's is perfect for them, as will be World of Beer. Most of them think that Blue Moon is a wonderful microbrew.

Those of us with discerning palates and who enjoy ambitious, creative and adventurous cuisine must look elsewhere. Even the IT executives with expense accounts seem to think that Morton's and McCormick and Schmick represent fine dining. For me, quality Reston dining can be had at places like El Manantial, not the Reston Town Center.

I've started going to the Arlington World of Beer regularly. The food went from being delivered from local restaurants to (apparently) all "made" (probably Sysco) in house. That being said, it's not bad, it's just what it is - bar food.

I do have fun with the beer selection and typically get pretty great service.

I'm with you, Joe. The Reston Town Center is mostly for the 20-somethings that swell the ranks of theTech companies and enjoy "happy hour quality" food and drink. Jackson's is perfect for them, as will be World of Beer. Most of them think that Blue Moon is a wonderful microbrew.

Those of us with discerning palates and who enjoy ambitious, creative and adventurous cuisine must look elsewhere. Even the IT executives with expense accounts seem to think that Morton's and McCormick and Schmick represent fine dining. For me, quality Reston dining can be had at places like El Manantial, not the Reston Town Center.

KN- truly no offense, because I respect your posts greatly... but you might want to consider how generalizing and even pretentious this sounds.  Whether generalizing about "20-somethings" or ethnicities, it would be nice to avoid doing either and stick to food.

• Like 1

My problem is that Reston Town Center-excepting Passion Fish-is fairly "vanilla" in its mini chain restaurants.  While Clyde's and Jackson's serve a middle of the road purpose there is really nothing there that I would drive more than a couple of miles to have dinner at.  My wife and I drive downtown every week or two for dinner.  If we lived downtown there is nothing to justify a trip out here.

It's frustrating.  I like the Wine Kitchen in Leesburg along with both Claire's at the Depot and the Iron Bridge Wine company in Warrenton.  They all have character, they have personality-something that not a single restaurant at Town Center has.  I understand the $50+ a square foot and the reality that few chef owned restaurants can be part of this.  But a place with a name like "World of Beer" not only lacks character it also doesn't seem to serve the overall image of Town Center just from saying its name.  I don't like Munich's Hofbrauhaus-Munich has much better along with several world class restaurants.  But even that 2,000 or so seat commissary of oompah has a more appealing image that the nondescript, package store like "World of Beer."

Sorry.

I should also admit to being a wine drinker.  I would have preferred any "weinhaus" instead.

Addendum:  I am old.  (I have another post on here about retirement sitting on Clearwater Beach sipping a glass of wine and watching the sun set last November.)  But, for thirty years I entertained as part of my business.  A lot.  All over America and Europe.  90% of those I shared dinner with wanted a steak house or steak house like seafood.  The one time I went to the Hofbrauhaus was because the Americans I entertained wanted to go there.  Not the inventive Michelin starred Terrine that my wife and I later enjoyed. There were only a few that I could really explore adventurous or creative restaurants with.  (I should also mention that they remain close friends to this day.)  Having said this I totally understand Tyson's and Reston.

Still, there's a huge need for an Estadio or a Casa Luca or a Red Hen or Al Dente somewhere outhere.

Someone please remember this.

I should also admit to being a wine drinker.  I would have preferred any "weinhaus" instead. 

I too am mostly a wine drinker and never have been very fond of beer - but I recommend you give the World of Beer a try. I went for a work happy hour to the one in Arlington and really enjoyed the fact that they have a really extensive beer list with lots of variety.  They also are happy to give you a decent sized taste of several brews so you can find one you like.  While the servers aren't trained sommeliers, if you tell them you like a lighter or fruiter beer they can steer you in the right direction.  I discovered that the lighter tasting, but higher alcoholic content Delirium Tremens isn't half bad and the blueberry brew can be tasty on a hot day.  I'm still not a beer drinker, but this would be the perfect place to figure out if you are.  As for the food, I didn't eat anything made in house so I can't speak to it.

Also, I was much more impressed with World of Beer than the wine bar, Grand Cru around the corner from the Arlington/Ballston location where the food was so so and the house wines pretty weak.

KN- truly no offense, because I respect your posts greatly... but you might want to consider how generalizing and even pretentious this sounds.  Whether generalizing about "20-somethings" or ethnicities, it would be nice to avoid doing either and stick to food.

I hear you and I sort of understand, but I just today read an article in the NY Times, no less, talking about electronic cigarettes being marketed to the "skinny jean set." A demographic is a demographic, and the Reston Town Center directly markets to a demographic.

I hear you and I sort of understand, but I just today read an article in the NY Times, no less, talking about electronic cigarettes being marketed to the "skinny jean set." A demographic is a demographic, and the Reston Town Center directly markets to a demographic.

Yes- even Sietsema is guilty of it.  It's just become so common for people to throw out labels like hipster, frat boy, geriatric, ghetto, expense account, "ethnic", etc., and they tend to never have good connotations- and shouldn't necessarily be relevant when discussing things like restaurants.  But enough about that... I am by no means obsessed with political correctness, believe it or not.  Hopefully I didn't obnoxiously soap box.

I haven't had a chance to check out World of Beer yet, but I'd assume I'd do so only for the beer aspect.  Was the Ballston location able to add a vented kitchen, or are they just microwaving and/or using a sandwich press?

• Like 1

The first World of Beer in Colorado is near my gym and I drove by it for maybe 6 weeks, put off by the chain-ishness of the exterior, before finally checking it out. It is actually quite good, and way more supportive of the local beer scene than I anticipated from a Florida-based chain.  The second time I went in there they had 46 of 50 taps serving Colorado breweries. Another time there were at least 30 beers from local nano-breweries, ie breweries with smaller than 5 barrel systems. Indeed they had beers from brewers in our burgeoning nano scene who brew on 1 barrel systems, several of whose beer I have never seen anywhere outside the brewery's own walls. I had never seen that done before and it speaks volumes as to the level of commitment and enthusiasm these folks have for what they do.

This is of course not all they do, and their selection of both US and foreign (particularly Belgian) brewers is extensive, not generic--they get the one-offs and seasonals, not the dross--and constantly changing, therefore fresh. The antithesis of the Yard House chain out of California, if you've ever had the misfortune...

It is a franchise, though, so maybe we were just lucky with our franchise owner here...

Colorado has both tavern and "beer and wine" licenses that require no food service other than "light snacks," so our  location (and the new one planned across town) doesn't even have a kitchen. They encourage you to order from surrounding restaurants in the little "entertainment district" in which they are located.  That won't fly in VA, but I couldn't imagine the food would be very noteworthy; it doesn't seem to be what they are about, looking at their website.

The location in Columbus, OH is very good. As Southdenverhoo said above, good coverage of the local beers, extensive inventory of foreign beers and a well-versed staff. Lots of TVs for watching sports. Food is brought in from surrounding restaurants, so, I guess quality depends on what's close. We've never ordered food, but like to go after a lomg bike ride for a refreshing draft or two.

The location in Columbus, OH is very good. As Southdenverhoo said above, good coverage of the local beers, extensive inventory of foreign beers and a well-versed staff. Lots of TVs for watching sports. Food is brought in from surrounding restaurants, so, I guess quality depends on what's close. We've never ordered food, but like to go after a lomg bike ride for a refreshing draft or two.

The emphasis on vast variety as well as local selections was apparent at the Ballston location when I went a few months ago. At that time, they were still bringing in delivery food from other places, so I don't know what types of food or kitchen they have now. I'm sure the Reston one will be similar in terms of variety.

I am not a beer drinker at all, I have maybe three beers I will drink when eating crabs or when wine isn't available.  That being said, there were a couple beers I liked at World Of Beer.  The server was really nice about the whole thing and made good suggestions.  We didn't eat, but I have seen good looking pretzels there.  I can't remember what else was on the menu.  We just met up with friends for a drink.  I think the Reston vibe will be different from the Arlington vibe.  IT is a great place to watch a sports game too.  The beer list is pretty amazing.

If I was a single lady I would hang out here, it is chock-full-o-guys.

Well, this is encouraging.  The number who have favorably written about the World of Beer really seems to have underlined a destination that will not only be extremely popular but also to remind me that there are beers I have had that I've enjoyed.

The sports bar aspect is intriguing, too.

Several years ago there was a sports bar in Munich that also featured a number of specialty brews.  When I wasn't able to buy a ticket to see Bayern I went there.  I don't remember the beer I had but over two + hours I must have drank four or five.  Great ambience with some real character to suppliment the excellent beer and passionate Bayern fans.  I really enjoyed myself.

Except for Bayern losing to Dortmund.

Well, this is encouraging.  The number who have favorably written about the World of Beer really seems to have underlined a destination that will not only be extremely popular but also to remind me that there are beers I have had that I've enjoyed.

The sports bar aspect is intriguing, too.

Several years ago there was a sports bar in Munich that also featured a number of specialty brews.  When I wasn't able to buy a ticket to see Bayern I went there.  I don't remember the beer I had but over two + hours I must have drank four or five.  Great ambience with some real character to suppliment the excellent beer and passionate Bayern fans.  I really enjoyed myself.

Except for Bayern losing to Dortmund.

Don't get your hopes up, Joe.

If I was a single lady I would hang out here, it is chock-full-o-guys.  

Haha!  I went to the Ballston location by myself on a Sunday afternoon last year because I wanted to check this place out.  (I was wearing my wedding ring.)  I ended up chatting with a guy sitting next to me who was married but out for some me-time.  After he left, another guy who was also married and having some me-time started chatting with me.  It's the only time I've been to World of Beer, but it was fun.  :lol:

(I had beers; no food.)

Went to World of Beer this past weekend with friends.  The beer selection was great, I can only remember them being out of one and we had a lot of different selections.  It was fun to watch the olympics there.  We had their hummus which was fine, edible.  The pretzels were a little unwieldy as they are huge and come on a stand, but didn't taste bad, but due to the size you can't eat it quickly then it gets cold and harder.  Other people ordered other food, but we mainly were just there to have some beer.

Well we went back and had a less successful night of ordering.  I imagine they have been busy with the World Cup and that made an impact.  They were out of a lot of beers and some food items.  I ended up drinking Port City which is my safe I know I like it beer.  Hubby and friends had some different things, and while met with a good number of items they were out of we managed.  Friend had won their Olympics challenge and had a gift certificate here so that was nice.  We ended up getting burgers, they were fine, not special, but not bad.  We did not attempt to go there on Sunday night, when all the sports bars in Ballston had lines out the door and were CRAZY.  (I had never seen anything like it in my life.)  After getting a bit too much attention from a nearby table of guys we moved on to Rustico for a few final drinks.