cjsadler

Beerspotting

201 posts in this topic

I think we need one thread on beer :lol:

Lately, I've been really enjoying Clipper City's Heavy Seas line of strong beers, especially one of the current releases, Loose Cannon, which packs a huge hop punch. Hopefully they'll be doing Small Craft Warning again, too (I haven't seen it around lately)-- it's a delicious Imperial Pilsner (something of a new style that a lot of US brewers are playing with... Clipper City calls it an "Uber Pils"), and the best one yet in this series.

Edited by cjsadler

Small Craft Warning is my favorite in that series. Loose Cannon is pretty good for the style, a lot more malt balance than some uber-IPAs

On the subject of imperial pilsners, at the Lupulin Slam last week Sam from Dogfish Head said they are going to be bottling their fantastic, and previously draft-only ,Prescription Pils. However, the gubmint frowned upon the name for the bottled label (something about insinuating that the beer was medicinal, blah blah blah), so Sam resubmitted it as, get this, "Golden Shower". And apparently it passed under the radar (at least the radar of some clueless bureaucrat). He's worried that he spilled the beans prematurely, but I really hope the bottling makes it to the shelves as is.

Oh, and I'm always happy to talk beer.

Edit: forgot to add that Bar Pilar always seems to have the latest Heavy Seas release on tap rotation. I would fully expect to see the pils on tap when it's available again.

Edited by TedE

What a coincidence, I was just drinking a Hennepin when I came across this thread. I dig Ommegang's stuff. Also Allagash. I'm proudly Pansudsual.

What else do we have in the house, lessee now? Rogue Dead Guy. Offshore Amber Ale from the Vineyard. Sparhawk Golden Ale from Maine. Wachusett Country Ale. (Trying to catch up on the regionals around here.) A case of Czechvar for removing tannins from teeth. Some nonalcoholic Becks for the preggo. My current fave, though, has to be Stone IPA, from San Diego. Those guys are making great beer right now.

Prosit!

Edited by Stretch

Czechvar trumps Urquell any day.

Where has one found the Hennepin on draft?

The session ales I'm drinking pretty regularly now are St. Peter's Organic and Holy Grail Ale from Black Sheep Brewery, a personal fave. They're only about $3 - $3.50 a bottle or so at Harris Teeter, so they're very available. Delicious stuff. And Porcupine, they'll cure your hoppin' OD problem. Unless you're hooked on domestics, that is.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse is my new favorite. Damn how I wish I had another bottle for after work tonight.

[Can we begin splitting this into individual beers?  "Beer" is just too general of a topic.  Surely "Sierra Nevada" or "Old Dominion" can have their own topics.  Likewise with wines if you wish.

Cheers,

Rocks]

Perhaps divvy it up by style? Or nation/state/city of origin? We've discussed a lot of local beer. And beer from DE, PA, OR, etc. As well as UK, Czech, Germany, etc.

Good to see the suds purists out for a Sunday drive-by. :)

What we need here is for Jake P to take this to the next level by observing that Wittekerke pisses all over any brews from the State of Maine.

To each his/her own - you can be happy with your Coors-brewed slushy beer and I'll be happy with my Mexican food at Taco Bell :)

Enjoy, baby. What beverage will accompany this repast? :)

Just curious--what are your thoughts about Magic Hat #9, Otter Creek Copper Ale, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse? (The motley collection currently residing in my refrigerator.) I may be a glutton for punishment--but I am interested in finding out more about how my seemingly pedestrian palate compares to someone who is obviously very discerning and knowledgeable about beer. :lol:

Just curious--what are your thoughts about Magic Hat #9, Otter Creek Copper Ale, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse? (The motley collection currently residing in my refrigerator.) I may be a glutton for punishment--but I am interested in finding out more about how my seemingly pedestrian palate compares to someone who is obviously very discerning and knowledgeable about beer. :lol:

Magic Hat -- Never tried

Otter Creek -- OK, but I'm not a big fan

Sierra Nevada -- the sad shadow of what used to be a great beer. Still pretty good for a macro-brew

Franziskaner -- If I liked wheat beers, I'd like this.

what are your thoughts about Magic Hat #9
Sierra is a little too hoppy for me.

Magic Hat #9, on the other hand, is right up my alley (it's one of my favorites!). It's a little fruity, but also has a slighty hoppy bite.

p.s. If hops are your thing and you like the Sierra, then I suggest trying Magic Hat Blind Faith.

Sierra is a little too hoppy for me.

Magic Hat #9, on the other hand, is right up my alley (it's one of my favorites!). It's a little fruity, but also has a slighty hoppy bite.

I'm just the opposite--Sierra's my "Bud Light" and I find Magic Hat too sweet/malty for my taste. But since I think Tupper's Hop Pocket could use even more hops, I think I'm outside the norm here. For super-duper hop goodness, I also recommend Smuttynose.

Magic Hat #9: This beer is made with apricot extract. If you like a fruit note to your beer, it's good stuff (I like it). Compare with Dogfish Head's Aprihop.

Sierra Nevada: I'm not sure whether it's not as good these days or that I just don't like it anymore. Give Anchor Liberty Ale a whirl for comparison. I still think that Liberty Ale is one of the greatest beers (maybe the greatest when fresh) ever made.

Franziskaner: Great wheat beer, but most of it that's on the shelves here is past it's prime (I say this having drank it at the brewery in Munich-- incredible).

I'm headed to the Cap City Oktoberfest in Shirlington today. If anybody else is going, come say hi. PM if you don't know what I look like.

I recently found out I missed the Chesapeake Real Ale Festival. Where were you on that one CrescentFresh?! :)

I wish. Never heard of it. Never heard of them either. And from the pics it looks like they had a nice turnout. Would have liked to have gone...even if there was nothing to drink, so it seems, from the Mother Country.

My beer schedule this week:

Tuesday: Wet Hop tasting at RFD

Thursday: TasteDC Belgian tasting just NE of dupont circle

Also will be at Oyster Riot on friday...definitely say hi if you see me at any of these.

It's going to be a very good week.

Evening Star Cafe is having a Beer and Cheese pairing event on Tuesday PM with the beers of Clipper City in the Number 9 lounge. Call the restaurant and speak with Zach or Evan. Rustico is also having an event with Clipper City this week. Wednesday PM will be the latest in our glassware giveaway nights. Hugh Sisson (owner), Ernesto Igot (Brewmaster) and Matt Saindom (Head Brewer) will all be there to talk about their beers. We'll be pouring Heavy Seas Small Craft Warning, Loose Cannon, and Winter Storm on draft and we'll have the Below Decks Barleywine running off the cask. Starting at 6 PM, for every draft you drink, you'll leave with a pint glass. Hope to see you there. Look for our upcoming beer dinners at Tallula to include the beers of Merchant du Vin (December), Karl Shtor of Eggenberg with us in January, Garrett Oliver of Brooklyn with us in February and Bill Covaleski of Victory spending time with us in March. I'll keep you posted.

Rustico & Tallula are once again teaming up for a special beer dinner

featuring The Beers of Merchant du Vin

Monday, December 18th

Cost is $85 per person

which includes tax & gratuity

Tallula Restaurant, 2761 Washington Blvd, Arlington, VA

For reservations, call Chris Schaller at Rustico 703 224 5051

or PM him at pizzaandbrew

MENU

Course 1

Oysters Rockefeller

paired with Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter

Course 2

Braised Leg of Wild Boar

Bacon & Wild Mushroom Ragout

paired with Rochefort 8

Course 3

Roasted Muscovy Duck

Seared Foie Gras & Red Wine Poached Plum

paired with Lindeman's Cherry Lambic

Course 4

Pan Roasted Tuna Loin

Crispy Potato Cake, Quail Egg, & Bordelaise Sauce

paired with Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Course 5

Roblochon de Savoie

Ice Wine Poached Apricots & Hearth Bread

paired with Orval

Course 6

House-made Donuts with a Trio of Sauces

paired with Ayenger's Celebrator

Sam Calagione's book "Extreme Brewing"

RFD is also having an event with Sam for this book release, next monday the 11th.

Bouelvard Woodgrill in Clarendon is having their annual 12 Beers of X-mas. Went there last evening. They have about 7 or so of the final 12, adding a few new ones each week. Right now they've got:

Troegs Mad Elf

Wild Goose "Snow Goose"

Anderson Valley Winter

Delirium Noel

and a few others that I can't remember (all the 12% alcohol got to me)

The bartender said they'll have the Heavy Seas Winter Warning and a holiday beer from Bells next week.

The Troegs and Anderson Valley were especially good I thought. It's worth a trip.

Troegs Mad Elf

Wild Goose "Snow Goose"

Anderson Valley Winter

Delirium Noel

The Troegs and Anderson Valley were especially good I thought. It's worth a trip.

These are all on tap? I loved Mad Elf last year, didn't realize they even distributed kegs of it.

I haven't had the Winter Solstice (Anderson Valley) in a few years, but I hated their Summer Solstice so much that I'm somewhat reluctant to try it. It's a shame because they make some really great beers, but they also make some very mediocre/bad ones: their "Belgian" style stuff is particularly odious, but the IPA and oatmeal stout are awesome.