Beerspotting

cjsadler

I think we need one thread on beer :lol:

Lately, I've been really enjoying Clipper City's Heavy Seas line of strong beers, especially one of the current releases, Loose Cannon, which packs a huge hop punch. Hopefully they'll be doing Small Craft Warning again, too (I haven't seen it around lately)-- it's a delicious Imperial Pilsner (something of a new style that a lot of US brewers are playing with... Clipper City calls it an "Uber Pils"), and the best one yet in this series.

Edited by cjsadler

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Small Craft Warning is my favorite in that series. Loose Cannon is pretty good for the style, a lot more malt balance than some uber-IPAs

On the subject of imperial pilsners, at the Lupulin Slam last week Sam from Dogfish Head said they are going to be bottling their fantastic, and previously draft-only ,Prescription Pils. However, the gubmint frowned upon the name for the bottled label (something about insinuating that the beer was medicinal, blah blah blah), so Sam resubmitted it as, get this, "Golden Shower". And apparently it passed under the radar (at least the radar of some clueless bureaucrat). He's worried that he spilled the beans prematurely, but I really hope the bottling makes it to the shelves as is.

Oh, and I'm always happy to talk beer.

Edit: forgot to add that Bar Pilar always seems to have the latest Heavy Seas release on tap rotation. I would fully expect to see the pils on tap when it's available again.

Edited by TedE

What a coincidence, I was just drinking a Hennepin when I came across this thread. I dig Ommegang's stuff. Also Allagash. I'm proudly Pansudsual.

What else do we have in the house, lessee now? Rogue Dead Guy. Offshore Amber Ale from the Vineyard. Sparhawk Golden Ale from Maine. Wachusett Country Ale. (Trying to catch up on the regionals around here.) A case of Czechvar for removing tannins from teeth. Some nonalcoholic Becks for the preggo. My current fave, though, has to be Stone IPA, from San Diego. Those guys are making great beer right now.

Prosit!

Edited by Stretch

Czechvar trumps Urquell any day.

Where has one found the Hennepin on draft?

The session ales I'm drinking pretty regularly now are St. Peter's Organic and Holy Grail Ale from Black Sheep Brewery, a personal fave. They're only about $3 - $3.50 a bottle or so at Harris Teeter, so they're very available. Delicious stuff. And Porcupine, they'll cure your hoppin' OD problem. Unless you're hooked on domestics, that is.

[Can we begin splitting this into individual beers?  "Beer" is just too general of a topic.  Surely "Sierra Nevada" or "Old Dominion" can have their own topics.  Likewise with wines if you wish.

Cheers,

Rocks]

Perhaps divvy it up by style? Or nation/state/city of origin? We've discussed a lot of local beer. And beer from DE, PA, OR, etc. As well as UK, Czech, Germany, etc.

To each his/her own - you can be happy with your Coors-brewed slushy beer and I'll be happy with my Mexican food at Taco Bell :)

Enjoy, baby. What beverage will accompany this repast? :)

Just curious--what are your thoughts about Magic Hat #9, Otter Creek Copper Ale, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse? (The motley collection currently residing in my refrigerator.) I may be a glutton for punishment--but I am interested in finding out more about how my seemingly pedestrian palate compares to someone who is obviously very discerning and knowledgeable about beer. :lol:

Just curious--what are your thoughts about Magic Hat #9, Otter Creek Copper Ale, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse? (The motley collection currently residing in my refrigerator.) I may be a glutton for punishment--but I am interested in finding out more about how my seemingly pedestrian palate compares to someone who is obviously very discerning and knowledgeable about beer. :lol:

Magic Hat -- Never tried

Otter Creek -- OK, but I'm not a big fan

Sierra Nevada -- the sad shadow of what used to be a great beer. Still pretty good for a macro-brew

Franziskaner -- If I liked wheat beers, I'd like this.

what are your thoughts about Magic Hat #9
Sierra is a little too hoppy for me.

Magic Hat #9, on the other hand, is right up my alley (it's one of my favorites!). It's a little fruity, but also has a slighty hoppy bite.

p.s. If hops are your thing and you like the Sierra, then I suggest trying Magic Hat Blind Faith.

Sierra is a little too hoppy for me.

Magic Hat #9, on the other hand, is right up my alley (it's one of my favorites!). It's a little fruity, but also has a slighty hoppy bite.

I'm just the opposite--Sierra's my "Bud Light" and I find Magic Hat too sweet/malty for my taste. But since I think Tupper's Hop Pocket could use even more hops, I think I'm outside the norm here. For super-duper hop goodness, I also recommend Smuttynose.

Magic Hat #9: This beer is made with apricot extract. If you like a fruit note to your beer, it's good stuff (I like it). Compare with Dogfish Head's Aprihop.

Sierra Nevada: I'm not sure whether it's not as good these days or that I just don't like it anymore. Give Anchor Liberty Ale a whirl for comparison. I still think that Liberty Ale is one of the greatest beers (maybe the greatest when fresh) ever made.

Franziskaner: Great wheat beer, but most of it that's on the shelves here is past it's prime (I say this having drank it at the brewery in Munich-- incredible).

Evening Star Cafe is having a Beer and Cheese pairing event on Tuesday PM with the beers of Clipper City in the Number 9 lounge. Call the restaurant and speak with Zach or Evan. Rustico is also having an event with Clipper City this week. Wednesday PM will be the latest in our glassware giveaway nights. Hugh Sisson (owner), Ernesto Igot (Brewmaster) and Matt Saindom (Head Brewer) will all be there to talk about their beers. We'll be pouring Heavy Seas Small Craft Warning, Loose Cannon, and Winter Storm on draft and we'll have the Below Decks Barleywine running off the cask. Starting at 6 PM, for every draft you drink, you'll leave with a pint glass. Hope to see you there. Look for our upcoming beer dinners at Tallula to include the beers of Merchant du Vin (December), Karl Shtor of Eggenberg with us in January, Garrett Oliver of Brooklyn with us in February and Bill Covaleski of Victory spending time with us in March. I'll keep you posted.

Rustico & Tallula are once again teaming up for a special beer dinner

featuring The Beers of Merchant du Vin

Monday, December 18th

Cost is $85 per person

which includes tax & gratuity

Tallula Restaurant, 2761 Washington Blvd, Arlington, VA

For reservations, call Chris Schaller at Rustico 703 224 5051

or PM him at pizzaandbrew

MENU

Course 1

Oysters Rockefeller

paired with Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter

Course 2

Braised Leg of Wild Boar

Bacon & Wild Mushroom Ragout

paired with Rochefort 8

Course 3

Roasted Muscovy Duck

Seared Foie Gras & Red Wine Poached Plum

paired with Lindeman's Cherry Lambic

Course 4

Pan Roasted Tuna Loin

Crispy Potato Cake, Quail Egg, & Bordelaise Sauce

paired with Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Course 5

Roblochon de Savoie

Ice Wine Poached Apricots & Hearth Bread

paired with Orval

Course 6

House-made Donuts with a Trio of Sauces

paired with Ayenger's Celebrator

Bouelvard Woodgrill in Clarendon is having their annual 12 Beers of X-mas. Went there last evening. They have about 7 or so of the final 12, adding a few new ones each week. Right now they've got:

Troegs Mad Elf

Wild Goose "Snow Goose"

Anderson Valley Winter

Delirium Noel

and a few others that I can't remember (all the 12% alcohol got to me)

The bartender said they'll have the Heavy Seas Winter Warning and a holiday beer from Bells next week.

The Troegs and Anderson Valley were especially good I thought. It's worth a trip.

Troegs Mad Elf

Wild Goose "Snow Goose"

Anderson Valley Winter

Delirium Noel

The Troegs and Anderson Valley were especially good I thought. It's worth a trip.

These are all on tap? I loved Mad Elf last year, didn't realize they even distributed kegs of it.

I haven't had the Winter Solstice (Anderson Valley) in a few years, but I hated their Summer Solstice so much that I'm somewhat reluctant to try it. It's a shame because they make some really great beers, but they also make some very mediocre/bad ones: their "Belgian" style stuff is particularly odious, but the IPA and oatmeal stout are awesome.

These are all on tap? I loved Mad Elf last year, didn't realize they even distributed kegs of it.

I haven't had the Winter Solstice (Anderson Valley) in a few years, but I hated their Summer Solstice so much that I'm somewhat reluctant to try it. It's a shame because they make some really great beers, but they also make some very mediocre/bad ones: their "Belgian" style stuff is particularly odious, but the IPA and oatmeal stout are awesome.

The AV Winter Solstice is excellent this year. It was on tap at Birreria as of a couple weeks ago.

Looking forward to trying that Bell's seasonal at Boulevard.

Yep, all on tap. I've come to view Boulevard as having some of the best taps in ARL. The Winter Solstice was really good. Watch out for the Delirium Noel tho. Really good, but it's one of those "evening changers." It took what was a nice, casual happy hour and transitioned it to a more dedicated late night drinking session. :P

Point: I hate Route 9.

Counterpoint: I love 'Half Time', conveniently located on Route 9 smack in the middle of the dismal hell of strip-malls between I-84 and the CIA.

beerhaul122006ir9.jpg:P

I see bar harbor real ale (yes!), abita xmas (is this any good? never had it), Aventinus (yes!!!) and the Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout (yes!!), but what are the three bottles on the right?

I see bar harbor real ale (yes!), abita xmas (is this any good? never had it), Aventinus (yes!!!) and the Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout (yes!!), but what are the three bottles on the right?

The labelled bottles are Lees Harvest Ale, but the versions that are aged in casks of various spirits (port, calvados, whiskey). Not certain which ones. The clear bottle with the yella liquid is, I hope, meant to stand in for a lump of coal in someone's stocking. If I'm not mistaken, it's Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer.

If the chili beer is meant for you, shogun, and you have not had it: may God have mercy on your soul.

The labelled bottles are Lees Harvest Ale, but the versions that are aged in casks of various spirits (port, calvados, whiskey). Not certain which ones. The clear bottle with the yella liquid is, I hope, meant to stand in for a lump of coal in someone's stocking. If I'm not mistaken, it's Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer.

If the chili beer is meant for you, shogun, and you have not had it: may God have mercy on your soul.

It is the Chili Beer. They still make that stuff?!! I had a bottle (it was a different label design) about 12 years ago and was assuming that the market would speak and quickly put it out of its misery. Second worst beer I've ever put in my mouth!

Good eyes! The Lees are Port and Lagavulin-aged, and the clear bottle is the chili beer. It IS for me, and I only bought one bottle. Also pictured: Two Ommegang glasses.

I think I may have had the best beer of 2007 last night. Might be a bit too early to say this, but I'm trying to think what could be better than Victory's Harvest Ale. The hops are very very floral and delicate. The malt bill is delightfully grainy and bready. Nothing overpowering, just a delish beer. On tap at Birreria. Get it while you can.

As beer lovers, you have known for years that a glass of great beer can augment the dining experience just like a glass of fine wine can. You can finally prove it to the non-believers in your life on Tuesday, February 6th. Garrett Oliver, Brewmaster of Brooklyn Brewery & author of The Brewmaster's Table, joins Rustico & EatBar for a special night to celebrate & "discover the pleasures of real beer with real food." Chef Nathan Anda will present a special five-course menu paired with six vibrant selections from Garrett's portfolio.

The beer dinner will take place at EatBar (2761 Washington Blvd., Arlington; 703.778.9951), beginning at 7:30 PM. Cost is $90 (including tax & gratuity) per person; $120 for dinner and a signed copy of Garrett's beer bible. Menu (subject to change)

Course 1

Star Anise-Crusted Diver Scallop

Green Curry & Spiced Carrot Cappuccino

Paired with Brooklyn Lager

Course 2

Braised Pork Belly with House-Baked Beans

Paired with Brooklyn Pennant Ale ‘55

Course 3

Fried Blue Point Oysters

Rémoulade, Oven-Dried Tomatoes, & Capers

Paired with Brooklyn East India Pale Ale

Course 4

“Steak & Cheese”

Smoked Beef Tenderloin with Cipollinis, Piquillo Peppers & Carr Valley’s 8-Year Gouda

Paired with Brooklyn Brown Ale

Course 5

Duo of Stilton-Style Cheeses

One New World, One Old World; with Mâche Salad & Blueberry Syrup

Paired with Brooklyn Double Chocolate Stout

Course 6

Optional Cigar

Paired with Brooklyn Monster Barleywine

Reserve your spot for this dinner which will surely sell out quickly! Call Chris Schaller (Pizzaandbrew) at 703.224.5051 or email him at chriss@rusticorestaurant.com.

As beer lovers, you have known for years that a glass of great beer can augment the dining experience just like a glass of fine wine can. Tonight's the night you can prove it to the non-believers in your life. Garrett Oliver, Brewmaster of Brooklyn Brewery & author of The Brewmaster's Table, joins Rustico & EatBar for a special night to celebrate & "discover the pleasures of real beer with real food." Chef Nathan Anda will present a special five-course menu paired with six vibrant selections from Garrett's portfolio.

Dangit!! Can't make it.

Mr. Oliver is not to be missed as he is a great speaker. The food lineup, at least the descriptions, blows the snot off of what was offered at RFD's awhile back. Granted, the cheese tasting was much less expensive, but still.

Mr. Oliver is not to be missed as he is a great speaker. The food lineup, at least the descriptions, blows the snot off of what was offered at RFD's awhile back.

Darn right. Oliver is not only a great host (and advocate of classic British-style real ales), but arguably the country's most visible proponent of pairing great beer with fine food. His book The Brewmaster's Table tackles the subject head-on.

Will all of these be the normal versions from Brooklyn Brewing, or is he bringing some of his special cask-conditioned stash?

Mr. Oliver is not to be missed as he is a great speaker. The food lineup, at least the descriptions, blows the snot off of what was offered at RFD's awhile back. Granted, the cheese tasting was much less expensive, but still.

Agree 199% about Garrett Oliver. As for the food lineup.....trust me....it's not just the descriptions. The kitchen at EatBar could be staffed by nothing more than three blind AND deaf mice who were too pre-occupied with clearing the bullet casings out of a barrel of fish to bother cooking and they'd still easily blow the snot off of RFD.

As beer lovers, you have known for years that a glass of great beer can augment the dining experience just like a glass of fine wine can. Tonight's the night you can prove it to the non-believers in your life. Garrett Oliver, Brewmaster of Brooklyn Brewery & author of The Brewmaster's Table, joins Rustico & EatBar...
isn't the dinner february 6th? or am i mistaken?

We won't have a real ale for the dinner at EAT Bar, BUT we will have a cask of the winter ale the following night (Feb 7 from 6-9) at Rustico for the latest in our glassware giveaway series (for every draft you buy, you'll leave with a piece of Brooklyn's footed stemware) along with drafts of Black Chocolate Stout and Smoked Weissbock. The dinner will feature the smoked weissbock and, very excitingly, the local debut of Brooklyn Local 1 - Brooklyn's "100% Bottle Refermented Ale"!!

Feb 6 - EatBar

Feb 7 - Rustico

Feb 8 - Book Club at BP

I think we know what direction that week is going........

In other news.......

It seems that Michael Jackson will not be making a return visit to National Geographic this spring. However, Garrett Oliver will be doing a presentation there on May 3 entitled The Art of Refermentation. Oliver is good....but Michael Jackson the king of beers. And, then there's this little conflict with the New England Real Ale Festival May 2-5.

It seems that Michael Jackson will not be making a return visit to National Geographic this spring.

Wednesday night at the Brick, Dave mentioned that they're planning on doing a Parkinson's benefit with/for MJ. I'm sure more details will follow, but I imagine the recent "I have Parkinson's" announcement may be impacting his regular schedule a bit.

If I recall isn't the iris the one whose yeast actually comes from the air and the dew settling at night? It's not for everyone- certainly not my favorite, but it's very very unique.
Lambic is the style that uses wild yeasts, and Cantillon is one of the most lauded Lambic producers (but by far less distributed in the US than the Lindemans/Liefmans duo).

Moving from the "Reef" thread to the Halls of Beerdom:

In addition to whatever floats in from the air (or drops from the rafters), there's also whatever microflora lives in the wooden vats used to hold the wort itself as well as the microflora that live in the wooden aging barrels. There was a fascinating (to me, anyways) article in Scientific American about 12 years ago on lambics that focused on the "crazy" fermentation process. There was this graph that depicting the rise in population of various strains of yeast (25+, I think) over the course of time. This only covered the 30 or so days of fermentation and not the year(s) that the beer might spend in the aging barrels. Lord knows what goes on there.

A German brewer would most likely plotz upon entering a brewery like Cantillon.

Crap Beer Alert:

I stopped by Hayden's Liquor store next to Eastern Market in a quandry over what beer to buy...get a sixer of a stand by, try something new, oh let's see what they have. Sold out of the Saranac Pale ale...damn. well let's try something new... the Bar Harbor Real Ale looks intriguing...shuffle on home, pop the top, decant into pint glass...kick back...take a sip...ugh, terrible. One flavor note...burnt.

http://www.atlanticbrewing.com/beer.html