Hank's Oyster Bar, Casual Seafood in Several Area Locations - Chef Jamie Leeds Comes From 15 RIA

My husband & I took a friend & his GF to Hank's for his birthday on Wednesday -- not my first choice due to recent Post review, but that's what he wanted :-) Anyway, sure enough the place was SLAMMED but we actually managed to score a teensy bar table to hold our beer while waiting to get seated.

We started with what I would have to call the best appetizer I have eaten in the last year - popcorn shrimp & calamari. Oh. My. God. This is an app that is so basic, so prosaic (Popeye's, anyone?) that to have it achieve the transendance that it does at Hank's means that the recipe & technique is perfect. The coating was flavorful, super crispy yet light, and completely non-greasy, with molten tender morsels of shrimp and squid inside, obviously literally rescued immediately from the fryer and brought to the table; these were served with a remoulade that had a really good spicy bite to it. I could imagine an entire evening spent sitting at the bar, drinking a beer and eating basket after basket of these!

It would be hard for any main course to surpass that, but my Oyster Po'Boy with Coleslaw was still pretty damn good. Of course, I had scarfed more than my fair share of the fried tidbits so only managed to eat half the sandwich before I gave up. The very large, plump oysters are fried (probably in the same batter as the shrimp/calamari) and served very plain inside a buttery toasted roll -- not the traditional French bread but something softer and kind of sandwich-bread-looking. The coleslaw came on the side & was a very pure rendition, I think just cabbage with a whisper of tangy dressing. I also ordered a side of mac & cheese (big enough for 2) that was creamy cheesy elbowy goodness with a nice browned crust on top. My dining companions didn't share, but everyone seemed to enjoy their plates (scallops; flatiron steak; halibut).

I am a total wine novice, but really enjoyed our Argentinian Malbec at a very reasonable $30/bottle. I think a cool dessert to end it all would have been great -- sorbet, lemon pie, whatever.

The only negative of the whole experience was the heat inside the restaurant. Either their a/c was on the fritz, or just couldn't handle the load of all the bodies...when we left at 10:15ish it was actually hotter inside the dining room than outside!

But all in all, what a fun yummy place for a casual dinner with friends. Yay Hank's!

What's the wait like around 7-8ish on a weeknight.  I want to try it out but don't know if I am up to an hour+ wait outside in this weather!!

Just a reminder that they're closed on Tuesdays, but I've found better luck showing up around 8:30 or 9. Or you could always try the bar (which is packed when Jamie is bartending, but otherwise has been available.)

Just a reminder that they're closed on Tuesdays, but I've found better luck showing up around 8:30 or 9.  Or you could always try the bar (which is packed when Jamie is bartending, but otherwise has been available.)

Thanks...forgot that they are closed on Tuesdays!! Went to Ray's the Steak instead.

On Monday night I made my fourth trip in six weeks to Hank's Oyster Bar. I live nearby and am delighted that a casual, comfortable, and capable restaurant is just a few blocks away. If the crowds and nightly waits are any indication, Hank's is off to a smashing start.

With regard to the food, my experiences have ranged from pretty good to very good. Summarizing across occasions, most dishes get high marks. My markup:

First Courses:

(1) Lightly fried calamari and popcorn shrimp (ordered on 3 of 4 trips) - a carryover from her days at 15 ria, this appetizer is as good as these items get. Never overcooked or greasy, I consider this a benchmark. A+

(2) Fried Oysters - the fried appetizer ordered last time in lieu of the above, at the behest of my dining partner. Turns out they were every bit as good: light, fluffy, and prepared delicately enough to not drown out their natural flavor. A

(3) Shrimp cocktail - Again, nothing but praise. These were large but not gargantuan, and were served with a redolent and flavorful cocktail sauce. A

Second courses:

(1) Citrus roasted chicken (Sunday night choice from the Meat + 2 Menu) - a superb, simple dish that was sufficiently good looking that--on my first visit--I ordered it instead of seafood after seeing it served to a nearby patron. A zesty and savory crusted skin covering tender and moist meat. A

(2) Halibut served with tomato concasse - very simply prepared with the acidity of the tomato overshadowing the natural sweetness of the fish. Halibut is my preferred fish and I was disappointed with this preparation. This speaks more to my appreciation for adventurous and bold preparations than to a lack of skillfulness; my friend, whose tastes run directly counter to my own, declared this dish his favorite. B

(3) Molasses Braised Shortribs (Monday night choice from the Meat + 2 Menu) - Falling off the bone tender, rich, with just the right hint of sweetness. A-

(4) Lobster roll - my first lobster roll ever, so I'm not sure how this would stack up against others. I very much enjoyed the first two-thirds of the roll. The large pieces of lobster were sweet and succulent, and were dressed with just the right amount of mayonaise. The lobster salad is served in what I would call a Pepperidge Farm-style bun that is narrowly sliced at its top. During the last third of the roll I encountered a piece of lobster that was inedible--one that I chewed and chewed and finally had to expel. B

**I have tasted the scallops that were ordered by another at my table. Another exercise in perfection. I shall get these on my next visit.

Side Dishes:

(1) Macaroni and Cheese - varies by visit, sometimes great and sometimes simultaneously dry and too oily. A/B

(2) Buttermilk Onion Rings - lightly fried allowing the sweetness of the onion to remain prominent. A

(3) Sauteed Spinach with Garlic - just what it says, and I would order it again. A

(4) Steamed Asparagus - as you'd expect, tossed lightly in butter/oil. A-

(5) Tomato Basil Salad - perfect for summer. Ripened cubed tomatoes with a wonderful earthiness. A-

Dessert:

I quite like the absence of desserts. It makes my decision--to have or not to have--easier, and I find the after-dinner chocolates (sometimes claimed to be Belgian, sometimes German) to be a nice touch.

Overall, I would say if you like the aforementioned fried foods and seafood that is simply prepared, you'll like Hank's. If each item on the Meat + 2 menu is as good as the ones I've tried, then I'll probably eat from that about half the time. I am very happy to see Hank's among the choices on 17th Street and, at this point, consider it a notch above Johnny's on the Half Shell.

There's apparently a place, near Dupont Circle (can't remember the name) that is open only for dinner that apparently has some killer lobster rolls. Anyone know the name of the place? And if so, anyone know if they're going to ever open for lunch too?

Had my first visit to Hank's on Saturday night and I can't wait to return.

We arrived around 7 pm and were told it would be a 20 to 30 minute wait, but we ended up sitting at the bar for only five minutes before being seated.

Service was wonderful throughout. Glasses never went empty and plates were cleared and refreshed as needed.

We started with the popcorn shrimp and calamari which was Oh my God good! Perfectly fried morsels, not greasy and loved that remoulade that came with. Definite repeater.

We both got lobster rolls, two orders of Old Bay fries and a mixed tomato salad.

Having just come back from Cape Cod, I can say the lobster roll was great, my only complaint it that it was a little heavy on the mayo. The meet was so sweet and tender, it really didn't need it. The fries were skin on and crisp and I LOVED the tomato salad. Definitely order if it is on the menu.

I am a dessert person, but was prepared for the chocolate at the end and didn't really mind it's absence.

The prices were so reasonable. $17 for a lobster roll is very fair.

I, too, am quickly becoming addicted to the fried shrimp and calamari at Hank's. The breading is perfection. It's crisp and light with just a TOUCH of seasoning. Even the cocktail sauce seems better for it.

Being a dessert lover, I was, at first, dissapointed. I would rather have a few pieces of lovely chocolate to nibble on than order a dessert that's subpar. Nothing worse than ending a delightful meal with a crummy dessert.

I received my copy of Gourmet yesterday and there was a small article on various restaurants in various states. Hank's had a very nice feature spotlighting Jamie's lobsteroll. big sigh. I'll never be able to get a table now....

I received my copy of Gourmet yesterday and there was a small article on various restaurants in various states.  Hank's had a very nice feature spotlighting Jamie's lobsteroll.  big sigh.  I'll never be able to get a table now....

Good for her, bad for us! I have been craving the fried shrimp and calamari. Looks like getting there early or late will be the name of the game. Too bad they do not serve lunch.

I saw that too and was surprised by the desserts comment.  I took it to be an un-edited reader review because I was there a couple of weeks ago and it was just the chocolate.

Still no dessert as of Monday - and the party line on the subject has changed recently from "desserts at some point in the future" to "we may never serve dessert."

it looks like they are more interested in getting a liquor license. isn't this the neighborhood that is obsessed with public intoxication? anyway, just mention dessert to your server for everyone to have a good laugh. sun hollow oysters are a transporting experience. i only got around to the lobster roll on my third visit. don't know what i was waiting for.

We stopped by Hanks last night at about 8pm. Got seated inside pretty quickly. Loved the vibe. Kay loved the decor, I thought it a little drab/unbalanced. We sat right by the service bar area. If any of my waiters ever complain about the lack of space in our service stations..... :lol:

I had a Red Seal, one of my favorite microbrews. Kay had a lovely Albarino. We had a long wait for our oysters: Kumamoto (Creamy and rich), Watch Point (Briney and quite good) and Sunset Beach Good but paled in comparison to the other two). All in all, the best oysters I have had in DC. We also ordered the popcorn shrimp and calamari which did not arrive.

Next up was a sauteed skate. Two pieces but they were a tad undercooked and a bit on the mushy side. The sautee pan also could have been a little cleaner as there was a bit of debris on the bottom. The greem beans we ordered along side were only OK. Although their perfume of sesame was delightful, the flavors were a little dull and the beans themselves a little tough.

We ordered another round of oysters and pointed out our calamari and shrimp never came. SO next up was the fried fish. Great fried batter. In my opinion, there was way too much batter to shrimp. And another complaint is that serving them in that cute bucket means they are stacked very high instead of spread out. That makes the bottom pieces get more soggy. The aioli was rich and needed more spike. The second round of oysters was as good as the first. Almost led to a third round but then restraint took over. Hate it when that happend! $116 for a lighter meal but mostly oysters.

I had a chance to sample the lobster roll the other night. It was tasty. Overflowing with lobster meat and very, very lightly dressed. I can definitely see myself ordering this again. And again. The coleslaw that came with it had a vinegar-based dressing that was an appropriately light accompaniment. I also ordered the heriloom tomato salad which had fabulous tomatos but too much dressing -- it looked almost like a chunky soup.

We finally got to check out Hank's last night after a full day at the National Book Festival and popping in to the anti-war protest. Though we were tempted by Komi's menu as we walked up 17th street, we refrained and went on to Hanks. Definintely NOT disappointed. We got there 10 minutes before it opened, and the patio was already almost full. We snagged a nice corner table, great for people-watching.

The little bowl of goldfish is a really cute touch to start with (my husband ate them all). We wrestled with what to start with as everything looked so good. We settled on the ceviche because of the variation-- scallops, shrimp, squid, and fish mixed with lime juice and jalapeno peppers. Excellent, fresh and light; perfect for sharing.

We opted not to get the fried oysters, even though I remembered them fondly from 15 ria, because I got the oyster po' boy. I LOVED this sandwich! It was stocked FULL of the fried oysters, which were gigantic, and a few greens; this sandwich was the essence of rich, creamy goodness.

My husband had the chile-crusted spadefish, which came with some kind of salsa. I don't know if it was Tom S. who complained of the small portions, but this was a very generous hunk of fish. It was very flavorful and he loved it.

We shared onion rings, which were also tasty. Not overly greasy, etc. Next time, I might get something else because coupled with the po' boy, it was a little too much fried stuff.

The service was excellent: friendly and casual, which is exactly what you'd expect from a neighborhood place like this. I thought the prices were extremely reasonable. Total for the above (including wine/beer, tax + tip) was $60. I would definitely come back, and second those who lament that it's not open for lunch.

Does anyone know how long a typical wait will be on a Fri night? We are thinking of asking friends to get there early to put our names in. (I am guessing something on the order of an hour.)

thanks!

ETA: I just called and spoke to a very nice person at Hanks. Sorry if this has already been posted, but they do "call ahead" where you call 30 min before you arrive. That doesn't guaruntee you a table within 30 min, but means that if the wait is 45 min, you only have to wait 15 min. Also she said that 8pm was the "magic time" when people start pouring in, so arriving before then would make a huge difference.

Edited by DC in DC

Click, but no mention of dessert.
New Years Eve

$200.06 PER COUPLE

INCLUDES A BOTTLE OF CHAMPAGNE

Oceans of Oysters

For the table

Seafood Cocktails

Bloody Mary Shrimp Cocktail

Margarita Bay Scallop Cocktail

Champagne Salmon Cocktail

Lemon Drop Tuna Cocktail

Appetizer

Lobster Bisque with Sherry

Ceasar Salad

Oysters Rockefeller

Fried Oysters

Popcorn Shrimp and Calamari

Entrée

Lobster Fettuccine

Light Tomato Cream

Marinated Sablefish

Sesame-Balsamic Glaze

Coriander Crusted White Tuna

Red Curry Coconut Milk

Seared Sea Scallops

Caviar Buerre Blanc, Chives

Surf n’ Turf

Grilled Sirloin and Jumbo Shrimp

Blue Cheese Crusted Sirloin

Merlot Sauce

Sides

White Truffle Mashed Potatoes

Root Vegetable Gratin

Old Bay French Fries

Buttermilk Onion Rings

Wild Mushroom Ragout

Sesame Green Beans

Dessert Sampler

for the Table

We enjoyed an excellent dinner at Hank's one night this week. The marinated sablefish with sesame-balsamic glaze is one of the best seafood dishes I've had in a long time. The fish was rich, buttery and tender, brushed with that irresistable glaze, scattered wtih sesame seeds and served on a bed of greens.

My husband had the rockfish, which was local, perfectly cooked and delicious. I can't recall the details of the preparation, but I believe it involved bacon and butter.

We shared a side of superb brussel sprouts and pecans, and polenta with a light tomato sauce.

We began with a half dozen raw oysters, some of the best in the city, in my opinion.

We also shared the seafood ceviche - the seafood (squid, shrimp, and maybe some white fish?) was flavorful and fresh as could be, but the onion flavor was a bit too strong for my tastes.

Service was friendly and knowledgable, and the atmosphere was fun and relaxed -good karma all around. Definitely has the neighborhood-kind-of-place feeling, though the quality of the cooking is many levels above what you find in many neighborhoods - which is why I'm glad Hank's is only a subway ride away. :lol:

(Sablefish is also known as butterfish or black cod, though it's not actually a type of cod. The sablefish served at Hank's came from Alaska, we're told.)

We had dinner at Hank's on Friday night. Thanks to the call ahead option we were seated almost instantly. All of our items were very good, love the collard greens there, but the portions seem amazingly small. The sablefish portion that I had was about 6 bites for $18. Realize also that the mains do not come with any sides, although the fish is served on some wilted greens. Is seafood that expensive? Has anyone else noticed this?

We had dinner at Hank's on Friday night.  Thanks to the call ahead option we were seated almost instantly.  All of our items were very good, love the collard greens there, but the portions seem amazingly small.  The sablefish portion that I had was about 6 bites for $18.  Realize also that the mains do not come with any sides, although the fish is served on some wilted greens.  Is seafood that expensive?  Has anyone else noticed this?

I had dinner at Hank's on Thursday night, the night before your meal, and also ordered the sablefish. The fish was great but the portion was indeed small. I'd guess it was no more than four ounces; in fact, I'd say mine was actually smaller than a deck of playing cards (which is a good way to approximate 3.5 - 4 ounce portions of protein).

I mentioned my disappointment over the lilliputian serving to two people over the weekend. Thank goodness for the popcorn shrimp appetizer and the mac-n-cheesy.

We had dinner at Hank's on Friday night.  Thanks to the call ahead option we were seated almost instantly.  All of our items were very good, love the collard greens there, but the portions seem amazingly small.  The sablefish portion that I had was about 6 bites for $18.  Realize also that the mains do not come with any sides, although the fish is served on some wilted greens.  Is seafood that expensive?  Has anyone else noticed this?

We were there Friday too and had a perfectly pleasant meal. We did not call ahead, so our wait was pretty long, but they really made it as easy as possible to wait. We were being really picky about being outside, but they felt bad for our wait and kept apologizing and offering us other tables, but by that time we felt like we should just wait and take the risk. I hadn't been since fall, and the service seems to have improved dramatically. Although there was nothing amazing about the food, I find myself yearning to return (unfortunately, so does everyone else in the city, or so it seems).

It had been months since I’d paid a visit to Hank’s (the last time a warm fall evening on the patio with toted wine and back-to-back orders of chalkboard-marketed raw bar, chicken, mac n’ cheese, butter fish, too.) It wasn’t too-too memorable then, but I’m grateful for the spot and the raw oysters really are delish.

Well, I finally made it back there a couple Saturdays ago. Against better judgment, tried to pull off a 7:30 walk-in. EEEENNNNGGHHH-not happening. The wait was supposed to be 45 minutes, which I kind of expected ( hey-I’m happy they’re busy), but destined me to watching college basketball at the Fox; drinking a wee bit more vodka than soda (you know how they pour it).

When we returned to the hostess, 44 minutes past, she claimed to have looked for us 15 mins prev with no luck. That’s okay, I’ve been a ho’dust and I know how it go’dust.. So back to waiting: we were destined to the tiny bar, which brimmed with attractive gay men (boys-you know I love you, but if you’re gonna push so hard against me, can’t you cop a feel?). 30 more mins pass of drinking blah-blah Muscadet and finally we’re seated at a deuce below the chalkboard. Was it worth the wait? With good company, sure, who cares….But for objective, budget-conscious, foodies, maybe no. Not that it wasn’t yummy…Here’s what to put in your pocket, though: The raw oysters were really beautiful. I didn’t take notes (and if I had they'd be gone by now), but after the first dozen we reordered twice. You can’t go wrong there, say, on a quiet night at the bar. I ate a lot of Pepridge Farms Goldfish, too, my friends. The griddled crab cake app was no doubt a pleaure (what season are we in?), but nothing to write home about on a Saturday night. The salmon patrami, well, fine being schwilly and it’s hard to overtoot the Blue Cheese Crusted Sirloin, living five blocks from Ray’s. Done medium rare it’s certainly worth the money, but perhaps not the wait. So, phone up before you go (unlike I did) and be sure to give the raw bar an extra whirl. END

PS: You go to Hank's becuase it's fun (and you called in advance). Raw bar's good, place is damn cute (I dig exposed brick).

I ate at Hank's last Tuesday and this past Monday; though the place was packed, I had no trouble getting a table for two. I'm glad to know about the call ahead, which I'll be sure to use when I want to go later in the week.

Though I realize that the fish and greens, etc. can be on the pricier side, I've become a regular there for a couple of reasons. One, I think that the oysters are great. I like the variety and the setting better than Old Ebbitt, and I know that this time of the year, I can usually get Kumamotos. Two, I don't normally want a big meal, so I can get a small plate, like a crab cake or mussels and a side of sugar snap peas for $15, which seems about the same price as equivalent restaurants (though I'm no money maven).

I also appreciate the service. Though it was hit or miss when I went the first couple of months, my experience over the winter and spring has been consistently excellent. I also like that I don't have to make choices on oysters-- or main dishes-- and can trust waiters to choose something I'd like.

Last, though I love to stop by a place by myself occasionally for a drink, which I did all the time in NY, for some reason, I've felt less comfortable doing it in DC (I rarely see women doing it here. Where are you going, ladies?) Since it's so neighborhoody, I feel comfortable doing it at Hanks. Chatty bartenders help.

Hank's, Domku. It seems I have a weakness for the local joints that aren't even in my neighborhood.

Had a very disappointing experience at Hanks about 2 weeks ago. We were so excited to try it, so we did the call ahead, arrived a half an hour later expecting to wait--it was a Friday night. No worries, just had a drink at the bar. It had been raining off and on all day and the patio was closed when we arrived. During a brief respite from the rain, we stood outside with our drinks catching up with our friends. The hostess was very apologetic about the wait, but we were cool.

Apparently the manager decided re-open the patio and within minutes, we were seated outside. Again, everything was fine. We proceeded to order appetizers, many sides and entrees. Just as our apps came out, though, a serious thunderstorm with serious lightning came up on the horizon. We ate our appetizers, wondering if they were planning to move us inside when the storm hit, or what. The storm was moving pretty quickly, and there was no way we weren't going to get rained on.

All at once, out came all the food--it was clear they were trying to hurry it so we got it before the storm hit. They made a good effort, but it started pouring about 5 mins after our plates were delivered. And I mean pouring. No worries, I guess it happens. We picked up our plates and headed for cover. It was also clear that there was no way we were going to get a table in the even remotely near future and the staff was totally overwhelmed. Having been in that position before as both a server and manager, I was a little sympathetic. The friends we were with lived about 3 blocks away, so we asked the kitchen to box up what we had ordered (2 lobster rolls, and 2 oyster sandwiches but please replace the soggy ones we're handing back to you, a bunch of sides). Doing them a favor by being one less table that had to be re-seated, right?

The total bill, including drinks we ordered but never received was something around $150. We thought about asking to at least get the drinks we ordered but never got removed from the bill, but I'm telling you, the place was crazed, and out poor waitress with a section that could no longer hold customers was frantic. So we just paid and waited for our boxed up food. It took a little while, which we assumed was because they were making us new food because our food had been caught in the rain, so we were fine. Finally, it comes out and it seems like it's a little less than we ordered, so we wrestle through the crowed to confirm with our waitress that everything is in the bag. She says it's all there and that the sides were placed in smaller boxes inside the bigger ones, so we're all set. We leave, walk to my friend's apartment in the pouring rain, open our food only to find the following:

2 soggy lobster rolls (the same ones that had been in the rain with us)

1 soggy fried oyster roll (we had ordered 2)

2 portions of wet fries

No sides at all

Nothing was really even edible

At this point, I was really annoyed. $150 for this? You have to be kidding me. I call the restaurant, am put on the phone with the GM who is super nice and swears they will make it up to us (though, I would rather just get my money back for the stuff I paid for but never received), but would I please call him back on Monday to remind him and he will work something out for us. He took my name, address and phone number and said he would make sure not to lose our business. Ok. They should be calling me, but whatever. Call back on Monday (2 weeks ago), left a message, called again on Wednesday, left another message, never heard back.

Now, I've managed a restaurant before. And I understand that weather is unpredictable, but at the place I worked, we would never have opened the patio on a busy and rainy day without going online and checking the weather radar--an easy way to avoid situations like this one. This storm came up so quickly and lasted for about 2 hours-- there was no way it wouldn’t have been visible on the weather channel radar.

I'm delayed in posting this because I understand that off-nights happen and one thing going wrong in a restaurant can cause many other things to go wrong, and I wanted to give them time to make good on their promise to at least refund my credit card for what we never received.

This was a time to win repeats, not lose them. Would it have been so hard to make us fresh sandwiches, or at least confirm that everything that was in the order made it to the bag? Nothing was comped, which is fine because we ordered everything, but for a table like us, that was volunteering to get out of their hair, would it have killed them to give us a free drink? Or at the very least make sure we received all the ones we paid for?

They had a great opportunity to fix this, and they never did. If this place cares so little about my business, I don't need to give it to them. I won't be going back. And I will be telling people about my experience and ecourage them to go instead to places that care about their customers.

I stopped in last night for the first time. This place would be perfect for sitting outside this summer, drinking wine and eating oysters and lobster rolls... except if it's this crowded now on a Tuesday night, I'd hate to see what it's like on a nice summer Friday or Saturday. Had some great raw oysters and an excellent oyster po' boy.

Met some friends for brunch at Hank's two Saturdays ago. It's a bright metal kind of space, and service was cheerful. I have to say though, while our table of 4 enjoyed plenty of convivial conversation, there seemed to be a lot of quiet faces about at midday.

Their cones of popcorn shrimp and squid were nicely fried - crisp and not overly greasy - and served with a spicy remoulade. I had a lobster roll which was nicely meaty, but not quite as good as the last one I had on the Maine coast...perhaps this meat was a bit mild in lobster flavor, and (sacrilege) I would have liked a tad more mayo. Gubeen's oyster po' boy was excellent.

I, personally had eaten 3 different times before I met Jamie and I loved the food every time. The mussels were great, the rockshrimp and calamari great and I'm in love with the pork chop and collard greens and mac and cheese, got that to go one night and ate it an hour later and, cold, was an wonderful late nite snackie. After I saw the size of the kitchen I am amazed that they are able to do what they do (and do well more often than not). Folks, that kitchen is not much bigger than yours at home, as a professional myself, I can only marvel at her ingenuity...the foods pretty good too :)

Hanks is a place that I want to see succeed, and that I wish was good because of its location and concept. Perhaps I have to give them another chance. Both times I ate here I found the mains wanting, and the sides mediocre to bad. Overcooked asparagus and beets that are indistinguishable from my 79 cents canned Safeway version.

Hanks is a place that I want to see succeed, and that I wish was good because of its location and concept. Perhaps I have to give them another chance. Both times I ate here I found the mains wanting, and the sides mediocre to bad. Overcooked asparagus and beets that are indistinguishable from my 79 cents canned Safeway version.

What the hell is a Russian Grand Duchess doing eating canned beets from the Safeway? Do tell. :)

We ate at Hanks last weekend and enjoyed it very much. We got there at 6:32pm, and were just too late to get the last remaining 4-spot table, so we were told it'd be a 30-minute wait. They took our cellphone number and we retreated to Trio's for some drinks and some chips with guacamole (I wonder how many diners wind up doing the same?). At precisely 31 minutes after we left Hank's my phone rang and we were seated.

Dinner consisted of several oysters on the half shell per person, 1 oyster shooter per person, and then we each ordered mains. The oysters were great, though the presentation was a bit boring (no good way to present that many, perhaps). The shooters were a waste, however, since you really cannot taste the oyster in there. Our mains were very good in 3 of 4 cases--two of us had the soft-shell crabs, which I thought were great; one of us had scallops that were also very well prepared and very tasty, while the one dud was a white tuna filet that was way overcooked.

Surprised that they had no desserts, but they did bring us a couple of hunks of broken up chocolate to go with coffee. Not a bad place.

Brunched this morning at Hank's... yum! We were tempted by oysters (very very tempted), but realized we should probably exercise restraint, given that we had already made our way through the farmers' market, and were heading to Eastern Market, and then Cheesetique. There would be noshing throughout the day. Pacing oneself is important...

We both had the crabcake benedict - good, although the crabcake was just a little underwhelming. A bit too fried for my taste, and not so well-formed. But there wasn't a bite left on my plate, so I'm not really complaining :) And the bloody mary was nice and spicy ... think it's now my second-favorite in DC. I was kinda disappointed there weren't any veggies dunked in, celery or okra perhaps, but still yummy.

And, although we both claimed to be stuffed when our plates were cleared, neither of us could resist the chocolate that came with the check. Perfect sweet ending to a nice brunch.

Well - wanted to all let you know that Hank's Oyster Bar was hopping last night.. No serving issues and no food issues. I went to dinner with MBK , only to find our very own hillvalley and fabulous "M"" (sorry chica, I forgot your sign name) already sitting down, eating what I thought was the ceviche? Do tell - how was it?

Yes - Don Rockwell site had a good representation. This was the first time I had gone to Hank's, and honestly, the atmosphere is terrific. Small, cozy, tables close together and they have opened up the front patio. Very neighborhood-friendly.

Anyway, about the food. Of course, our starters were the fried Ipwich Clams and a dozen oysters. Now I am a die-hard oyster fan. I LOVE OYSTERS!!! First time I had the, I was in Acapulco on the beach (13 years old) and a fishing boat came around and seved me a dozen oysters on a fin (the type you use to snorkel). Well, it as heaven for me, and since then I've basically loved them,thinking one day I may be struck down by the raw food Gods for having such an irreverent passion for Oysters. Such is the risk for good food! Since Hank's had about 6 different kinds on the list, we decided to try them all, and get a sampler. All were quite tasty and definitely met my standards. Hank's does not serve oysters with cocktail sauce. It serves with a wonderful light vinaigrette with onions. Excellent.

Then for the mains, we went for the daily fish selection. I had the sablefish with soy/balsamic, and MBK had the pan-fried rockfish with grapefruit salsa and walnuts. We shared a side of snow peas with mint. All dishes were quite tasty, came on-time, were fresh, and the right portion-size. I had never had snow peas with mint. It was like they had steamed them, and then made a sauce that had butter and mint. Quite good. Both fish were served on a bed of chicory. For my dish, the contrast of the slightly sweet sauce and chicory was a nice contrast.

But the best part is at the end. Hank's gives you large pieces of good dark chocolate at the end of your meal.

I had a lobster roll which was nicely meaty, but not quite as good as the last one I had on the Maine coast...perhaps this meat was a bit mild in lobster flavor, and (sacrilege) I would have liked a tad more mayo.

I'd been wanting a lobster roll for what seems like months....and I had a little time to kill this AM right near 17th and Q, so newspaper in hand I took a table on the porch and became (probably) Hank's first customer of the day. I ordered my lobster roll and a glass of wine and, moments later, the Mrs. arrived (I was expecting to be waiting for her longer), sat down and ordered the same thing.

This lobster roll was also nicely meaty, but was also seemingly devoid of lobster flavor. And, I too would have liked a tad more mayo. Even trying to add a little more salt didn't quite bring the seasoning to where it should be. There was nothing wrong, per se, with this lobster roll. It just wasn't the recipe I was looking for. And perhaps the lack of flavor comes from subpar lobster choice or subpar cooking. The toasted bread it was served in was quite good though and the server mentioned it was flown in from Maine. Nevertheless, disappointing for $65 (two rolls and two glasses of wine, all day). So, I'm still Hankerin' for a lobster roll. I just won't get my next one at Hank's. (I don't think I'd be averse to returning and trying something else, but I'm going to be much more careful with my wallet).

Service, by the way, was pleasant and fast and efficient and conducted with a lovely smile, (of course we were the only customers) and I also liked the chocolate sendoff.

It's very interesting to see the lobster roll reviews in today's Washington Post just a day after I tried satisfying my urge for a lobster roll at Hank's. For many of the things I disliked about the roll at Hank's, the paper's reviewer found good about it. I was looking for more seasoning, and the reviewer expects none. I wanted a bit more mayo, or at least a little more tang to the mayo that was used. The reviewer expected minimalism. (No mention of how I felt the lobster in my lobster roll seemed to be rather devoid of the sweetness that makes lobster so special. It was very meaty but all texture and no yummy goodness).

Now, I'm a New Yorker and not a New Englander. But I spent several summers in coastal Maine in the 70's and 80's. So, I'm not unfamiliar with lobster rolls, but I am many years distant from having had one at the source. So my recollection of what makes one authentic is probably off base. But, I guess these days I'm not necessarily searching for something authentic, but rather something satisfying. I'm glad that someone recommended to me, last night, the lobster burger at Citronelle, which I have yet to sample. In no way even similar to a lobster roll, but perhaps it might provide that lobster satisfaction I was craving.