Photo

Namaste, Indian and Nepalese in the Former Oriental Gourmet Space in Rose Hill Shopping Center

Alexandria South Alexandria Rose Hill Shopping Center Indian Nepalese Delivery

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 monavano

monavano

leviathan

• The Blog Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,245 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

I just saw the paperwork in the window. Oriental Cafe's signage is still up and the interior looks untouched thus far.

Please, if there is a Santa Claus, let this place be better than the Little Caesar's abomination a few doors down.

• Smita Nordwall likes this

#2 durwoodx

durwoodx

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:40 PM

I saw this place the other day and am cautiously optimistic. I just hope it is better than anything else in that culinary wasteland of a strip mall, which is an EXTREMELY LOW BAR.

Darrell Partin - beer snob to the stars!

#3 durwoodx

durwoodx

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:22 PM

Apparently it opened a couple of weeks ago (hadn't noticed) and we hit it up for take out today. Given the take-out limitations, things seemed very promising.

It's hard to judge naan that has been packed in aluminum foil for 15 minutes to get back to the house, but the flavor was good (if the texture seemed to have been ruined by the passage home.) At any rate, they do by all accounts bake it fresh on premises. 

The Samosas we ordered were very presentable - not overly greasy and still fairly crisp. The Palak Paneer seemed to please my wife, but left me a bit flat. The Chicken Tikka Masala, however, was much, much better than I had any right to hope it would be. Most notably, there didn't seem to be a single dish that featured pre-packaged ingredients - fresh cut vegetables were very much in evidence throughout the meal.

While this place may not be challenging Rasika for the new DC Indian cuisine crown, I can hardly imagine you doing better down in our little south of the Beltway restaurant wasteland. Plus, holy crap, THEY DELIVER!!!

Darrell Partin - beer snob to the stars!

#4 Smita Nordwall

Smita Nordwall

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:40 PM

We have eaten here a few times. Here are my observations: 

Momos: Have only tried chicken. Flavorful filling. The dough for momos is always heavier than one for Chinese dumplings. That said, the wrappers at Namaste are less doughy than ones at Momo in Springfield. 

Goat curry: Excellent. Super tender meat, luscious gravy. Appropriately oily and on the bone -- as all curry should be. 

Lamb vindaloo: I asked for a REAL vindaloo and the spice level was delivered. Again, very well cooked. 

Chicken 65: If you want the authentic version, ask for it spicy. I was not crazy about the texture -- thought the chicken could have been more crisp. But, I didn't eat at the restaurant so that may be a transportation issue. 

Lunch buffet:  I took my Indian Mom to this. She is a vegetarian. The buffet has more vegetarian than non-vegetarian dishes so she was delighted. The buffet selections also change (perhaps daily?). The buffet is not overly stocked as at other Indian places, so the food seemed more fresh. They also make naan (which is included in the meal) after you have settled at the table, which means it comes to you right out of the tandoor but perhaps not as quickly as you would like. It is not the best naan I have ever tried but its freshness makes up for all other shortcomings. 

I was not at all impressed with the chicken tandoori. I think that had more to do with not using the best quality chicken than anything else.  Unfortunately, chicken tandoori is best served by using a superior quality meat, like all grilling. The buffet also offered pakoras as an appetizer the day we were there and they were surprisingly crisp. The best offering though was the warm carrot halwa. Not overly sweet, tender and lovely. 

I have been chatting up the guys that run the place. They are sweet and very eager to please. I am really, really hoping they make it. My neck of the woods definitely could use a decent restaurant. 

That said, would anyone be interested in going to it for a $20 Tuesday? If so, someone please message me how to set up one of those outings and I will be happy to do it. 

• DonRocks likes this

#5 thistle

thistle

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

I'd love to try this place, lunches are usually easier for me (& I love buffets, so I can try different things that I wouldn't necessarily order alone), but I might be able to make it for dinner, barring a conflict w/ field hockey games.

#6 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,659 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:34 PM

Note that we have a $20 Tuesday thread for Namaste.

That said, we only have three posts in it, and the amount of views in this thread (which include the views of those three posts which were split off) is remarkable. I have no explanation.

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#7 Simul Parikh

Simul Parikh

grouper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:55 AM

My work partner invited us over to their house for dinner this Saturday, but instead of having her cook for us, we decided to have carry out. They had tried Namaste and loved it, but wanted confirmation from an Indian that it was good. I was asked to order for the 4 of us. We ordered the chicken tikka masala, chana masala, goat curry, chicken 65, and vegetable momos. We ordered everything medium spice level. 

All the entrees were fantastic, in my opinion. The color of the chana masala was perfect - rich and brown. Very tasty, rivals my favorite in town (Ravi Kabob). The chicken tikka masala was an excellent version, not the typical dull version you get that is heavy on tomato and cream. This was bolder. And, when you looked at the chicken pieces, they had the pink color on the outside, so it seems like they cooked the chicken in the tandoor, which is how you're supposed to do it (many places just saute them up). The goat curry was the star of the show. Even medium, it was pretty fiery. The goat meat was tender and on the bone. My lovely date really enjoyed it - she loves meat from the bone. The appetizers were not as good. I generally love dumplings/momo's/pot stickers, but something wasn't great about these. I agree with the comment that momo's are generally "doughier" but to me it was too thick and because it was delivered, it just didn't appeal to me very much, though the fililng was tasty. The Chicken 65 was just like General Tso's chicken, not a real Chicken 65, like at Karaikudi. 

The quality of the entrees was very high. I think they used better ingredients than most places. I can't wait to try more of the menu.

#8 Biscuit Girl

Biscuit Girl

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:21 PM

We stopped in tonight for dinner tonight and were not disappointed.  We started out with the Kukhura ko sekuwa - grilled chicken marinated with mustard oil and Nepalese spices.  A squeeze of lemon was a nice addition to the very succulent tender chicken.  (forgot to get a picture of it)  Like Simul Parikh, we got the goat curry and agree it was the best dish on the table.  Tender chunks of goat (some still on the bone) in a rich tomato based sauce (?) that has a slowly building heat. The sauce was my favorite part of the dish. Fragrant basmati rice and naan were good sources for conveying the sauce to my belly.  We also got the chicken momo.  We thought the dumpling wrapper wasn't thick at all.  They were tasty but not a stand out like the goat.  

The staff were very helpful and friendly.  They told us we could order dishes to be prepared in varying degrees of heat from mild to hot to HOT.  The menu is big enough to offer lots of future visit for further exploration.  A take out menu is tucked into the glove compartment of my car for easy access for take home dinners.  And restaurant is conveniently on my way home from work, even better.

Naan.jpg

Naan

Momo.jpg

Momo

Goat curry.jpg

Goat curry

Here is the menu from their website.

"Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one."

Neil Gaiman 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Alexandria, South Alexandria, Rose Hill Shopping Center, Indian, Nepalese, Delivery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users