Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Avocado tostadas
Rice noodle soup with chicken, spinach, mushrooms, hot pepper, cilantro, and lime

I used chicken broth from poaching the chicken that went into the soup as well as broth I made with a leftover marrow bone from the spicy laab at Maketto.  The bone broth didn't have any distinct beefy flavor left to it, and the ingredients* I added to the broth seemed like they would go well in a rice noodle soup.  It was a good enough experiment, fortunately, since there is a good deal of soup left.

*bay leaf
2/4 onion
1 celery rib in chunks
1 carrot in chunks
2 coins ginger
handful bruised cilantro
4 or 5 torn mint leaves
1 garlic clove, smashed

Last night I made baked salmon that I topped with a lot of fresh cracked pepper, two little tubs of leftover Papa Johns garlic butter sauce (I realize this is strange, but sometimes this stuff makes a weirdly good addition to things and I hate to waste anything) and green beans.  It was a great one pot dinner that I ate with some flatbread that I broiled and topped with some feta.

My accountant, who is also a neighbor, is coming for dinner.  I warmed up some olives with Rosemary, chile flakes and a bit of white wine vinegar to serve with wine while dinner is being prepared. I'm going to grill salmon on a cedar plank and top it with tatziki.  I'm doing roasted potatoes with lemon juice, garlic, thyme and olive oil, and grilled asparagus.  It's the kind of meal I make for someone I don't know well, when I don't know their food preferences.  

• Like 2

I made Mexican rice last night in the Instant Pot.

3 cups long grain brown rice
1 can original Rotel
1 small white onion, peeled and quartered
1 TBS chopped garlic
Chicken broth

Rinse rice, pour into pot.  Pour the Rotel into a food processor, add the onion and garlic, process till mostly smooth.  Pour into a measuring cup.  You will need at least 3 1/4 cups of liquid, so add chicken broth to the puree.  Pour the mixture in with the rice.  Seal the Instant Pot and set for Manual, 6 min.  Once done, allow 14 min. to release pressure. Stir and eat. It was delicious with grilled steak.

On August 27, 2016 at 0:07 PM, DaveO said:

Oooooh bagels and hot crab frittata.  Neat!!!!

That combination worked out really well. I don't even know what inspired it :lol:.

We grilled last night for the first time in quite a while:  baked potato, chicken drumsticks with bbq sauce, and a delicious, tender bone-in beef rib eye steak from Whole Foods. I made a quick red wine - mushroom sauce for the steak as well. Sliced tomatoes with basil and white balsamic vinaigrette rounded out the meal.

Fried sesame-crusted tofu (half black sesame, half white sesame; silken tofu) served with a dashi/shoyu/mirin/ginger dipping sauce

Watercress and fig salad with a sesame, shoyu, and vinegar dressing

Somen (thin wheat noodles) served chilled with tsuyu (dashi, mirin, and shoyu) and green onions for dipping

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ktmoomau said:

Not sure why this is double spaced or how to get it to single spacing...

Every time we seem to get all of the settings straight, there's another upgrade that undoes some things. There is a setting somewhere in the admin controls to fix the spacing in this forum to single spacing.  To do it manually, hit shift and return at the same time for a line break.

Braised chicken thighs with red bell pepper in white wine sauce, leftover coconut rice, and steamed broccoli was last night's dinner.

Tonight is leftover ramen in pork broth, some kind of salad with the last of a mustard vinaigrette I made recently, and sausage-cheese biscuit sandwiches. The sausages are homemade and from the freezer. I didn't note on the package what kind they were, so that will be a surprise. Everything goes with cheese, right?  The biscuits will be made from Bisquick I still have from a project I worked on a while ago.  I need to use this stuff up.  I have bacon I should cook or freeze, so i might double down on the pork and put bacon on the biscuits too. [/rambling]

Labor Day cookout with the neighbors:

Guacamole and chips 

Kale and radicchio salad with a Caesar dressing and a Wisconsin version of "Parmesan."  It's Labor Day… Buy American.  

Black eye peas*

Ribs (that I braised in beer and seasonings in a 250° oven for 2 1/2 hours, and then finished on the grill with sauce).

* my friends said the peas were the best "beans" they ever had.  I attribute this to the inclusion of smoked turkey wings that I bought at Kroger and used as a substitute for a ham hock or bacon.  I sautéed onion, bell pepper and celery; and then added the soaked black eye peas with the smoked turkey wings,  cumin, thyme, hot chili powder, red pepper, black pepper, garlic powder and salt.  They cooked forever… I think my peas were old.  After the peas started getting soft, I added a little bit of red wine, and a little bit of the same barbecue sauce I was using for the ribs.  I took out the wings, and pulled off all of the available meat, and chopped it up, and threw it back in the pot. I then let it simmer until the concoction was pretty thick.  Honestly, I was surprised at how fabulous they were!  I am going to go to Kroger and buy a bunch of those smoked turkey wings and stick them in the freezer for other dishes. 

Last night was two steaks from the freezer, thawed and broiled. One was a t-bone and the other a boneless sirloin strip. Somehow I managed to get them both just to the rare side of medium rare, even though the strip steak was thicker.  There were no dates on the bags. I think they'd been in the freezer quite a while. The sirloin looked like it might have a touch of freezer burn, but it came out fine.  

We had the steaks with steamed farmers' market green beans and buttered boiled yukon golds.

Last night we had the last of the potatoes and green beans with pulled pork; flour tortillas on the side.  I used a jar of hot pepper jelly and a couple small cans of green chilies in the long-cooking of the pork butt, plus garlic, onions, and lots of dry mustard, salt, and pepper.  I added some bottled bbq sauce partway through as well. The resulting sauce was good drizzled over the pork.

• Like 1

Last night was Orzo pasta with pesto sauce I made, roasted cherry tomatoes, onions and yellow bell peppers.  Marinated mozzarella skewers.  Meatballs.  Leftover cookies for dessert.

I made these delicious zucchini cookies that we have been working our way through (I used pecans as they were on hand, the second batch I only had 1/2 the oats needed, so I subbed unsweetened coconut in for the other half, and I only had 2/3 up of dark chocolate chips, so I subbed butterscotch for the other cup.)  https://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/145079/zucchini-oat-dark-chocolate-chip-cookies/  They are pretty darn healthy for cookies.

Last night (really good but a LOT of food):
Frisee salad with leftover sirloin steak, tomato, hard-boiled eggs, radishes, bacon, and avocado; mustard vinaigrette
Spinach fettuccine with almond-basil pesto and leftover sausages

Last night:
Mini lasagna cups
Fairytale eggplants and green beans stewed in tomato sauce with onion and garlic
Corn on the cob

Sunday:
Leftover pulled pork in flour tortillas
Guacamole
Corn on the cob
Huevos rotos (Spanish "broken" eggs with potatoes and onions)

Saturday:
Garlic bread
Beef barley vegetable soup made with short ribs
Southern squash casserole (made with yellow squash, zucchini, and a yellow-green hybrid)

Tuesday: 
Romaine salad
Pork spinach wonton soup
Braised chicken thighs and cabbage
Baked potatoes

Last night was leftovers for my husband, since I wasn't home yet from the Nats' game: 
Leftover romaine salad with cucumber, tomato, radishes, and buffalo mozzarella
Leftover pulled pork in flour tortillas
Corn on the cob

Crostini with goat cheese, pecans, and chopped granny Smith apple 

salad of butter lettuce, red leaf lettuce, julienned kale, and radicchio with homemade buttermilk ranch dressing

Penne with homemade sauce (I roasted  tomatoes, red peppers, onions, and garlic.  After taking the skins off of the tomatoes, I puréed the whole thing.  While that was working, I browned spicy chicken Italian sausage, and a lot of mushrooms.  I put the purée into the meat, added some red wine, and a few extra herbs, and let it thicken).

Angel food cake with strawberries macerated in a bit of cherry liquer topped with whipped cream  

2003 Muga Rioja riserva 

• Like 1

The last few days:

Sunday
Baby arugula, tomato, and goat cheese salad with poppy dressing
Ham, onions, and cabbage
Noodle cheese bake with ricotta and horseradish havarti

Monday
Flour tortillas
Shredded slow-cooked flank steak, onions and peppers
Chopped tomatoes
Black beans
White rice (cooked in beef broth from flank steak)

Tuesday
Butter lettuce and tomato salad with goat cheese and white balsamic vinaigrette
Sweet potato soup
Buttermilk biscuits
Leftover shredded flank steak au jus
Steamed green beans with toasted sliced almonds

Last night was cold soba with shrimp tempura, soy dipping sauce with fresh grated wasabi (thanks Hana Market!), sauteed bok choy with onion, garlic and soy sauce.  And then because I needed more food, I ate two chocolate green tea cookies.

Two nights ago and four nights ago was leftovers from a tortellini soup with sausage and kale that I made this past weekend.  With a slice of reheated papa johns pizza that I super crisped the crust of in a skillet, which made it much more tolerable.

Last night was sous vide chicken thighs in an apple bbq sauce, then seared off, sous vide carrots, macaroni with broccoli and cheese.  And strawberry shortcake cake for dessert.  The recipe called it strawberry shortcake bars, but they were not bars.

Saturday night I cooked dinner at my brother's house and we had pork chops, green beans with mustard and pan juice, fingerling potatoes and some of my fermented kraut.

Friday night was leftover soba noodles with italian sausage, bell pepper, kale with garlic and miso butter.

• Like 1

Last night I had a bigger meal planned but wasn't that hungry, so stuck with one course: broiled salmon over lightly sautéed zucchini noodles.   Light and delicious.  I'll have to keep it in mind as a combination for next summer.

• Like 1

Last week I didn't cook that much and posted even less.  But over the weekend I made: pesto pasta with spinach, salami and smoked ham.  Soda Bread- the basic Paul Hollywood recipe from British Baking Show Masterclass. Then- 63 degree eggs over smoked pheasant, soda bread toast, spinach.  Last night for dinner- chicken thighs with blistered  tomatoes in a white wine and garlic sauce with a side of well cooked last of the season fresh picked green beans from my uncle with the soda bread.

Made this last night, but used an arm roast in stead of ground beef, as that's what we had lingering in the freezer.  Turned out very well with the changes I noted below in parentheses.

Grandpa’s Chili With Beans

By Instant Pot Staff March 19, 2012

Submitted by Ed A.

This recipe does not require soaking the beans beforehand so it is easy to throw together. I have used it at many barbecues with large crowds and it is always a favorite.

Ingredients:

• 2 cups dry pinto beans
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon Cumin Seed
  • 2 cans diced green Chiles
  • 1 Box of beef broth
  • 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomato
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 glove garlic, diced
  • 2 lb course ground chuck (arm roast)
  • For extra spiciness add canned diced jalepenos to your liking. (I used 1.5 chipotles in adobo)

Instructions:

• Brown ground chuck and allow to caramelize. Deglaze pan with can of diced tomatoes.
    • Don't drain the tomatoes before adding them.
  • Add meat beans and all other ingredients in Instantpot and set for beans. 
    • I poured in enough broth to just cover the beans, then added the other ingredients.  
  • After first cycle in the beans setting check your seasonings then reset the Instantpot for the beans cycle again.
    • Per the Instant Pot website, they approximate 25-30 min for dried pinto beans on the Manual setting.  I did 38 min. and that was pretty much perfect. 
  • Like 1

I had a JF of the Campagna Center board meeting last night.  I knew I had a TJs frozen panang curry entree in the work freezer, but I am always worried about how much food is actually in those types of entrees, so I brought an egg I had cooked sous vide this past weekend, and added frozen spinach to the curry to make it a bit more substantial.  I also brought a piece of homemade bread I made.  Those girls at my meeting were thoroughly impressed, to a point of embarrassment for me.  

Pan-roasted pork tenderloin with whole berry cranberry-orange-ginger sauce
Roasted yukon gold potatoes
Stuffed roasted delicata squash

This all went well together, except I put chopped Campari tomatoes in the stuffing for the squash. (I had them and have had them on hand for a while...)  The tomatoes clashed somewhat on the plate with the cranberry sauce.  I had planned to add some kind of grain to the stuffing but already had potatoes and was running short on time.

Millet and brown rice ramen with pork, mushrooms, and broccoli--topped with a fried egg and chopped scallions.

The package directions (Lotus Foods) call for the ramen to be drained after cooking, but I just doctor the cooking liquid (with hot pepper sesame oil and a splash of low sodium soy sauce) and serve it as soup. They also sell ramen soup, but the seasoning packets that accompany them have a ridiculous amount of sodium, whereas the plain noodles have zero.

I found this at Costco and like it for a quick meal. I see they have the same brand at Yes, but that is nowhere near as cost-effective. I'll just keep working from my Costco stash.

Forgot to mention my salad: romaine, breakfast radishes, Camapari tomatoes, avocado, and Bolthouse Farms blue cheese dressing with added Roquefort.

Earlier this week I made steak fajitas and then used the leftover steak and veggies for yakitori noodles to which I added bok choy, sesame seeds, yakitori sauce and pickled ginger.

Last night I made a cava style bowl with: quinoa, rice bowl, kale, eggplant roasted with harissa and butter, mushrooms, banana peppers, feta, hummus and leftover steak.

• Like 1

So it's been a while, right?  Let's try this again.

This was last night's dinner....

IMG_0359-001.JPG

1 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup milk
14 ounces ground beef
7 ounces ground pork
1 egg
1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
3 tbsp. total finely chopped flat-leaf parsley and mint
salt
black pepper

Mix breadcrumbs with milk, set aside for 10 minutes or until crumbs absorb milk.  Then combine all ingredients in a large bowl, including breadcrumb mixture.  Mix with your hands or until all ingredients are well-incorporated.

IMG_0362-001.JPG

Shape into balls with a tablespoon.

IMG_0371-001.JPG

Fry in olive oil until lightly browned all over.  Lift out with a slotted spoon and place on a paper-towel lined plate.

Make the tomato sauce:

IMG_0373-001.JPG

1 clove garlic
3 tbsp. olive oil
2 cans crushed San Marzano tomatoes
2 bay leaves
1 handful basil leaves
salt
black pepper

Warm olive oil in a pot along with garlic over low heat.  Crush garlic with the back of a wooden spoon.  Once the garlic has become fragrant and has started to brown, add the tomatoes.  You can thin it out with a little water if you like.  Add the bay leaves and basil.  Taste for salt and pepper.  Raise heat and bring sauce to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer sauce for 15-20 minutes.  Add meatballs, then braise meatballs for 30 minutes.  Taste once more for salt and pepper, then serve immediately.

IMG_0395-001.JPG

Polpette al sugo

While the meatballs were braising, I started on the contorno.

1 lb. green beans, split lengthwise
3 tbsp. olive oil
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
4 anchovy fillets
salt
black pepper
1/3 cup breadcrumbs

IMG_0376-001.JPG

Bring a pot of water to a boil.  Add green beans and boil for 5-6 minutes or until green beans are tender to the bite.  Shouldn't take very long.  Remove from heat, then drain and shock in ice water.

Warm olive oil in a pan with garlic over low heat.  Once the garlic has become fragrant and has started to brown, add the anchovies.  Stir a couple of times, then add the green beans.

IMG_0379-001.JPG

Make sure you stir the beans so that the beans are coated in the flavorful oil.  Cook for 2-3 minutes, then stir in the breadcrumbs.  The original recipe uses 1 cup breadcrumbs but I cut the amount down since the meatballs have breadcrumbs and we're watching our carbs.  Cook for a couple more minutes, then stir in some chopped mint.  Taste for salt and pepper, then serve.

IMG_0388-001.JPG

Sicilian-style green beans

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TrelayneNYC said:

So it's been a while, right?  Let's try this again.

It has been. Good to see you back :).

I had macaroni and cheese for dinner last night, baked, with a lot of colby and extra sharp cheddar in the sauce and breadcrumbs on top.  Now I want meatballs...

• Like 1