Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Last night was grilled salmon [Whole Foods prepared food bar] over torn romaine and chopped tomatoes with blue cheese dressing. Friday night was a salad (napa cabbage, romaine, tomato, avocado, blue cheese dressing) and leftover tuna noodle casserole from the freezer.

19 minutes ago, eatruneat said:

Last night, we roasted a whole chicken using Marcella Hazan's simple roast chicken with lemon recipe. Served alongside a farro salad with herbs, cherry tomatoes, radish, and pistachios. 

Wonderful recipe! Bravo!  Might be the one I've used the most. Tasty and easy peasy. Hope the meal was great.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2017 at 10:35 AM, DaveO said:

Wonderful recipe! Bravo!  Might be the one I've used the most. Tasty and easy peasy. Hope the meal was great.

My go to roast chicken as well. Used to do a more complicated herb crusted roast chicken, but this recipe made me re-think how I was roasting chicken. Love Marcella. 

Just starting back up cooking from my long crazy work, vacation, brother's wedding hiatus.  We had a two links of hot sausage from the pig we get processed every other year in the fridge that needed to be used, so I took the casing off and crumbled them in a pan, browned a little, then added 3 cloves of garlic, pepper, tarragon, some white wine from the fridge, two little packs of Papa John's garlic butter sauce (I have a weird fascination with trying to use extra condiments we get), and about half a bag of frozen chopped spinach and some frozen green beans that I chopped up.  I then cooked some linguine and mixed it all together.  It was delicious, Hubby ate two big bowls.  

Made something yesterday I hadn't eaten in years: those sausage cheese balls from the Bisquick box. They are one of my cousin's favorite foods, and for some reason I just felt like making them. As I was preparing these, I thought to myself: "This is ridiculous."  It makes a party amount, which means they will last a long time since I wasn't making them for a party. I made them a bit bigger than called for, so that at least reduced the yield. Yow. I forgot how addictive they are. I managed to stop after eating four of them.  I've got to clear room in my freezer because I will eat way too many if I leave them easily accessible in the refrigerator.  These are made with raw pork sausage and lots of cheese but do not get greasy at all, I assume because the Bisquick soaks all of the excess fat up or something.

Also, later on, homemade chicken noodle soup (from homemade stock) and toast.

• Like 2

Last night I had more of something I have been working my way through for several previous dinners and lunches:  Brown rice pad thai noodles with chicken, blue oyster mushrooms, assorted vegetables, and garlicky peanut sauce.  I partially adapted a recipe in the June Bon Appetit to make this, using brown rice pad thai noodles I had rather than buying the udon called for and adding in vegetables I had on hand in place of the ones called for in the recipe.  (In addition to mushrooms, I used bell pepper strips, peas, and broccoli.)  

The dressing for this was quite good. The 365 brand peanut butter I bought a while back is exceptionally liquid-y, much more suited to a sauce than a sandwich, and  I had been planning to make some kind of noodles with peanut sauce with it when I  came across this recipe.  Of course, I still have a lot of peanut butter left (and it's not even that big a jar.)

• Like 2

Well I will say, since coming back to cooking from my vacation and travel hiatus, I have been on quite the run of pretty darn good dinners.  Although it can't continue for that much longer.  Part of it is a I am letting us eat a little more pasta than I normally do in a two week span- yolo.

Tonight was buttered egg noodles with shredded 72 hour sous vide short rib, reduced beef sauce with red wine, rosemary, green beans. Mountfair, Hope an excellent wine.

Last night was cod cake sandwiches with homemade tartar sauce, leftover fried yuca, succotash remnants and leftover strawberry crumble pie.

Saturday night was lobster tails and shrimp broiled in garlic butter, old bay crisped potato wedges and succotash of limas, zucchini, sweet corn with olive oil and rice vinegar, tarragon and oregano.  Saturday night was also the night I made the strawberry crumble pie, it isn't the best strawberry filling I have ever made in my life, but we haven't dilly-dallied in eating it either.

Friday night was spaghetti with zucchini and meat sauce and garlic bread.  I also made vanilla pudding (sugar free, don't tell Hubby) with chocolate pearls.

• Like 2

Last night was hot dogs (Coleman organic, from the freezer) on whole wheat hot dog buns, with a little provolone, plus homemade napa cabbage slaw with blue cheese dressing. Take-out onion rings on the side.

• Like 1

Parmesan crisps.  Simply little mounds of Parmesean baked on parchment in a 350° oven until they brown and became little crackers.

Chilled soup of avocado and cucumber and Greek yogurt with lime, cilantro, ginger, mint, hot sauce.

Antipasto salad of Romaine, sliced tomatoes,  grilled red peppers,  artichoke hearts, olives, sliced matchsticks of smoked provolone, and crisped salami.  I fried the salami in a dry plan until it got dark and crispy and then I drained it on paper.  It lent a lovely bacony quality to the salad.

Store bought one – bite brownies.

Lots of cheap Sauvignon Blanc.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dcandohio said:

Parmesan crisps.  Simply little mounds of Parmesean baked on parchment in a 350° oven until they brown and became little crackers.

Chilled soup of avocado and cucumber and Greek yogurt with lime, cilantro, ginger, mint, hot sauce.

Antipasto salad of Romaine, sliced tomatoes,  grilled red peppers,  artichoke hearts, olives, sliced matchsticks of smoked provolone, and crisped salami.  I fried the salami in a dry plan until it got dark and crispy and then I drained it on paper.  It lent a lovely bacony quality to the salad.

Store bought one – bite brownies.

Lots of cheap Sauvignon Blanc.

What a wonderful summer meal. I love chilled avocado soup.

Last night I made a Washington Post recipe for blueberry risotto because I had a lots of blueberries to use which have been languishing in the refrigerator and also some homemade chicken stock that there is no room for in the freezer. Reading the headnotes to the recipe about how this kind of preparation is traditional in a particular region of Northern Italy, I began to wonder if it shares an origin with that blueberry sauce Acqua Al 2 serves with steak.  

The recipe turned out well. I didn't feel like buying chives so used chopped scallion greens for that component instead. I used Arborio rice. Otherwise, i made the recipe as written. The sauce really is silky when pureed with the immersion blender. It did remind me of the steak sauce.  Now that I have this part down, maybe I will try making the Acqua steak at home, after a fashion.

ETA: I served the risotto with a little leftover slow-cooked pork shoulder, with cabbage and onions.

This isn't dinner but it's a dish worth describing. Warning: those with sensitive stomachs should not read.

On Father's Day, my girlfriend and I bought a bunch of bagels and all the fixins' and took them to her mother's and step-father's place for some brunch. My girlfriend said her mother liked chocolate chip bagels, so we made sure we got one. I was surprised by this since she's Jewish and it sure ain't authentic but to each their own.

I was thinking that her mother would put butter or cream cheese on the bagel and leave it at that, but the truth was shocking. I watched as she put cream cheese on the bagel, followed by lettuce, tomato, red onion, capers and LOX!

I don't know where to go with my life from here.

• Like 1

Last night was chicken pita and a Food and Wine recipe for pea and cucumber salad that turned out pretty well, a little thinner than the picture looked sauce-wise, they likely dried their peas and cucumber a bit before using them.  Tasted good though.

Sheet pan white pizza made from purchased dough. Toppings: roasted tomatoes and mushrooms, mozzarella, pulled pork, and kalamata olives.  I had intended to top it with tomato sauce but oiled the pan a bit too much, so flipped the dough over to absorb some of it.  Since I had a nicely oiled top of the dough, I forewent the tomato sauce.  

I had sliced salami that I had taken out of the freezer a couple of days before that was supposed to go on too, but I forgot it. I think the pizza would have been overtopped if I had used it, though, so all's well that ends well.  The combination of toppings was just to use things I had that needed to be eaten, but it worked out really well.  I think I would prefer these toppings together again sans tomato sauce.

Fish tacos: corn tortillas, leftover red snapper, chopped napa cabbage, diced red onion, cilantro, lime, guacamole, and sour cream. Extremely good. I wanted to eat more but I was pretty full so I stopped myself.

• Like 2

"You don't understand. Maybe I didn't make the best sauce piquante in the world, but I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, ..."

Chicken and Tasso sauce piquante. Garden Tabasco peppers from the freezer heating it up. This year's celery. Tasso from Balducci's and Ukranian "bacon" from last year's Ukranian Festival at the church on New Hampshire Avenue. Not too shabby!

• Like 2

After a small breakfast and no lunch, last night featured dinner in two parts.  The earlier portion of the meal (about 5:30) was some reheated pasta, penne with a generous coating of olive oil and lots of black pepper, plus various meats and a minimalist tomato - pepper paste.  The back story: after defrosting turkey bacon, salami, and pancetta recently, I needed a use for it.  I cooked that all up and put all but a few torn slices of bacon into the pasta dish. It didn't have a sauce per se but a concentrated paste of cooked garlic, red onion, red pepper, cooked down white wine, and tomato paste. I reheated a plateful of this creation and sprinkled homemade toasted whole wheat bread crumbs over the plate to serve.

A couple of hours later, I pan-fried (in 50/50 olive oil and butter) a boneless ribeye steak. I prefer cooking steak bone-in, but there had been a special at Whole Foods on boneless ribeye, and it's a cut I particularly like.  Cooking it with some butter (which I also basted it with near the end) really added something to it, though I don't know if it balanced out cooking off the bone.  I ate about 1/3 of the 1 lb. steak and will be slicing the rest up to serve over salad.  I missed my target and cooked it slightly past medium rare, so not reheating it will keep it at that stage and not risk overcooking it. Plus, I should really be eating more salad...

Leftover sliced ribeye steak over red lettuce salad with roasted red beets, red bell pepper, turkey bacon, hard-boiled egg, blue cheese, avocado, cucumber, toasted walnuts and fig - balsamic vinaigrette

Last night was leftover rotisserie chicken (Whole Foods); homemade mac and cheese defrosted from the freezer--spruced up from its time in the deep freeze with a little sriracha; and the first ear of corn I've had this summer, sweet bicolor corn on the cob with butter and black pepper.

Last night: 
Sliced heirloom tomatoes with a drizzle of red wine vinaigrette, mint pesto, homemade whole wheat bread crumbs, and black pepper
Macaroni and cheese from the freezer with a little sriracha

Tuesday night I was still wiped out after the ballgame and just threw together an avocado BLT on Spring Mill onion dill rye bread with a little mayo.  (This did involve cooking bacon, but I cooked up the whole pack so it can be used for other things).

Last night was turkey burgers with calico beans and roasted zucchini.

We had some really great shrimp and crabs at a Fourth of July party we hosted with a friend and I got the leftovers to use so earlier this week I made: Linguine with shrimp and crab with tomatoes and zucchini in a white wine, butter and lemon sauce.  

Then I made blackened shrimp tacos with homemade roasted salsa from a Rick Bayless cookbook that I thought needed something and I didn't have more lime, so I added some clementine juice and that did the trick.

We have also had the pleasure of finishing off angel food cake and a chocolate cake leftovers this week.

• Like 1

I had ground turkey breast in the freezer, which I turned into "taco meat" with lots of onion, garlic, cumin, chili powder from Penzey's,  chicken stock and a bit of tomato paste.  Last night it went on a salad of mixed lettuces, topped with salsa, cheese, and sour cream.  Today it will probably go in a pita with some homemade inner beauty sauce and  cabbage salad. 

Digging in the freezer, found a venison roast a neighbor had given to us and it had gotten forgotten.  Decided to give this recipe a try: http://www.activehipmomma.com/wisconsin-venison-roast-in-2-hours-instant-pot/. I didn't have a trivet, so I added more beef broth to submerge the roast a bit more and cook more evenly, and added a chopped onion to my chopped potatoes and carrots.  Turned out really well. 

Monday night was stir-fried low mein noodles with green onions, zucchini, shrimp and a sichuan style sauce that I was using the last of from Oil & Vinegar (it was very good, I would buy it again).

Last night I made crock pot pulled pork which was ok.  I used a large tenderloin piece so it just wasn't as good as a shoulder, and I think things in the crock pot tend to get too juicy, but I was too tired to then reduce the sauce.  I also made corn muffins from a Food and Wine recipe which were good, but I think I would like them better if I omitted all the sugar and greens.

Last night I made nachos, a big pan of them, using chips that were starting to get stale and cooked taco beef I'd defrosted from the freezer.   I don't usually like meat on nachos, but these were good.  Topped with mozzarella and cheddar cheeses, black beans, and a drained can of Ro-tel tomatoes and chilies.  Sour cream went on in dollops after they came out of the oven.  I'm going to reheat the leftovers today, covered, in a low oven, topped with some more cheese.  (I'm working to perfect the art of reheating nachos. They're never as good on subsequent iterations but I'm getting close.)  I forgot  was going to make guacamole for these last night, so i may make that for the next round.

• Like 1

Friday's dinner was smoked gouda mac and cheese and bacon made with cavatappi.  The side was the last of some sautéed multi-colored peppers and broccolini that I bought at Whole Foods salad bar.

Tonight is some home-cooked pork ragu over linguine with Parmesan.  The sauce was made a few days ago.  I'll just boil up the pasta and put it together tonight.  

(The remaining nachos were a brunch during Wimbledon this morning.)

Last night was a chicken leg and wings from a Whole Foods rotisserie chicken; corn on the cob with butter and pepper; and, quick-boiled green beans dressed with extra virgin olive oil, a splash of white balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper.  The beans were an impulse purchase when I was passing Eastern Market and the vendors were selling everything cheap at the end of the day.  I haven't had fresh green beans in a while, and these were good. 

Last night I made a riff on Italian wedding soup.  I had leftover London broil, which I diced up; and I used a very large chicken breast, diced up.  The base was onions, garlic, canned crushed tomatoes and chicken stock  with the remains of a jar of hot salsa.  I added cabbage, chickpeas, and zucchini.  Seasoned with smoked paprika, oregano, parsley, thyme, and Rosemary. Light and tasty.  I have enough for several meals and a few freezer portions.

• Like 1

Picked up a spiralizer on Prime Day and put it to use the other night making this: http://meljoulwan.com/2011/07/16/cold-sesame-cucumber-noodles/

I used almond butter instead of sunbutter and soy sauce instead of coconut aminos and added some poached shredded chicken for some protein.  Tasted great and really pleased with the performance of the spiralizer and the ease of clean-up afterwards.

16 minutes ago, Katya4me said:

Picked up a spiralizer on Prime Day

really pleased with the performance of the spiralizer and the ease of clean-up afterwards.

What type of spiralizer?  One someone got me as a present (I am sure it wasn't fancy or expensive) went to goodwill as being very ineffective.