Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Monday I made a roasted eggplant salad with leftover drained pork laap and the sweet pork topping from galloping horses (Ma Hor, a dish I made on Saturday), deep fried shallots, fresh shallots, lime juice and fish sauce with brown jasmine rice and leftovers.

Tuesday, Tom Kha Gai (ต้มข่าไก่ coconut chicken "soup") made with whole chicken drumsticks with green mango salad and an omelet and brown jasmine rice.

Wednesday, pak pad priew wan (ผัดผักเปรี้ยวหวาน), sweet and sour vegetable stir fry (to clean out the vegetable drawer), cucumber, eggplant, pineapple, onion, long red chilli, cilantro, garlic, fish sauce, palm sugar and vinegar. And the requisite omelet with si racha (ศรีราชา) sauce and brown jasmine rice. Wednesday has a photo:

7029467507_313378b5d3.jpg

Last night my wife went to the Cheesetique with a friend, but without me :( (it's my favorite ethnic restaurant). Instead I had shrimp paste fried rice (ข้าวครกกะปิ) from Bangkok 54 grocery carry out, which was delightful :).

Last night:

BBQ Chicken dip with tortilla chips

Pan-roasted wild Coho salmon with red potatoes and scallions

I saw the chicken dip somewhere online and had all the ingredients and a junk food craving. I liked it more than my husband did, but I found the barbeque sauce component in it a little too sweet. The main course balanced it out nutritionally <_< .

Wednesday:

Assorted sandwiches on rye onion-dill toast: BLT with avocado and Whitefish salad with cucumber and arugula

Broccoli slaw

Tuesday:

Hot and sour soup

Roasted chicken

Roasted red onions, red potatoes, and carrots

Monday:

Truffle risotto

Rye onion-dill bread with whitefish spread and arugula

Sunday night: spaghetti carbonara with duck egg and cherrywood smoked bacon from Three Little Pigs. I think that's the most delicious bacon I've ever had.

Last night: salade Lyonnaise with duck egg and pancetta from Three Little Pigs. Dessert was a "use what's on hand" affair: tart crust made with leaf lard from Three Little Pigs; the last of last year's batch of meyer lemon curd; the last of the blueberries frozen last summer; whipped creams from a Clear Spring Creamery/Trickling Springs Creamery comparo.

I'm still undecided about using leaf lard in pastry. There's no doubt that the crust was flakier than a pâte brisée, but it just doesn't taste as good. (The formula I used was 9 oz flour: 3 oz butter: 2 oz leaf lard.) And if it doesn't taste as good, so long as the texture is acceptable, than what's the point?

Sunday night: spaghetti carbonara with duck egg and cherrywood smoked bacon from Three Little Pigs. I think that's the most delicious bacon I've ever had.

Last night: salade Lyonnaise with duck egg and pancetta from Three Little Pigs. Dessert was a "use what's on hand" affair: tart crust made with leaf lard from Three Little Pigs; the last of last year's batch of meyer lemon curd; the last of the blueberries frozen last summer; whipped creams from a Clear Spring Creamery/Trickling Springs Creamery comparo.

I'm still undecided about using leaf lard in pastry. There's no doubt that the crust was flakier than a pâte brisée, but it just doesn't taste as good. (The formula I used was 9 oz flour: 3 oz butter: 2 oz leaf lard.) And if it doesn't taste as good, so long as the texture is acceptable, than what's the point?

FWIW I decided that the leaf fat I bought from them was rancid. It didn't smell like rotten meat, but I rendered it in the oven, and the cracklings tasted AWFUL. Not at all the nice roasty pork flavor I usually get from oven rendered cracklings. Couldn't get the nasty taste out of my mouth, and the rendered lard didn't taste any better. So I pitched it. I haven't been back to tell them, because it's a shlep for me to get over there. But I made gumbo using their tasso and andouille, and it was fabulous, so I think that the leaf fat was an anomaly. (The sign in their case suggested just dicing the fat and using instead of butter, but I wonder about that. It's not rendered lard, because the fat hasn't been melted and any tissue separated out...

oh, speaking of pigs, we had a "Meatless Monday" dinner last night:

mujaddara with minted yogurt

cucumbers with yogurt and fresh dill

spanakopita (re-heated, every bit as good as the first time)

2010 Armand de Villaneuve muscat sec

FWIW I decided that the leaf fat I bought from them was rancid. It didn't smell like rotten meat, but I rendered it in the oven, and the cracklings tasted AWFUL. Not at all the nice roasty pork flavor I usually get from oven rendered cracklings. Couldn't get the nasty taste out of my mouth, and the rendered lard didn't taste any better. So I pitched it. I haven't been back to tell them, because it's a shlep for me to get over there. But I made gumbo using their tasso and andouille, and it was fabulous, so I think that the leaf fat was an anomaly. (The sign in their case suggested just dicing the fat and using instead of butter, but I wonder about that. It's not rendered lard, because the fat hasn't been melted and any tissue separated out...

It's easy to separate the lard from the small amount of tissue by hand; after that dice and use like butter. There is a pork flavor but it's mild enough that I didn't mind it in sweet applications.

You're not alone. However, how many oz. in 1 1/3 cups AP flour? I modify RB Levy's recipe for pie dough (that's what we call it in New England), using 2 T of lard and 6 T of butter. I don't really discern the lard w this ratio in fruit pies, but when bacon's involved in a quiche filling, that flour-coated pig fat perks up and grunts.

Home late. BLT w avocado, smoked salt and slivered red onion, the "b" standing for bread vs. bacon, the tomatoes, slow-roasted yellow plums from last summer.

The controversy. The scandal. The shame.

The glory that is "Desperation Kitchen Night", a riotous romp through a nearly-empty freezer and pantry to find anything edible and quick. Last night's monstrosity: Chicken Dino Bites over gluten free pasta, with highly-doctored Smith Meadows Farm tarragon tomato sauce, topped with shredded Kerrygold cheese.

Eaten al fresco on a beautiful night, and not half bad! It tasted a lot like college.

post-5654-0-70773100-1333626919_thumb.jp

post-5654-0-46481100-1333626925_thumb.jp

However, how many oz. in 1 1/3 cups AP flour? I modify RB Levy's recipe for pie dough (that's what we call it in New England), using 2 T of lard and 6 T of butter. I don't really discern the lard w this ratio in fruit pies, but when bacon's involved in a quiche filling, that flour-coated pig fat perks up and grunts.

They way I measure it, 1 cup = 4.5 oz. That's a result of the way I measure flour in a cup; authorities give differing weights for 1 cup. I've seen anything from 4oz to 5.5oz in print. Your imagery makes me squeeeeeeal.

-------

Last night, Caesar salad with baby romaine, frisee (had leftover frisee and not enough romaine), duck egg, sourdough garlic croutons. Dueling meyer lemon ice creams for dessert.

Night before last, classic take out. (Open the fridge, take it out...)

Last night, lentil and roasted beet salad sprinkled with goat's cheese, green beans steamed and tossed with a mustard sauce, radishes (from the garden!) with butter and salt.

Hot seared sea scallops with a grapefruit, shallot beurre blanc sauce;

Thinly shaved raw asparagus salad with toasted, smashed filberts & pecorino;

Half warmed Leonora baguette;

2005 Chehalem Dry Riesling (reserve)

Fresh berries and banana with a bit of maple syrup

Linguine with spring onions, snow peas, asparagus, bunashimoji mushrooms, and some sort of chard I'd never seen before, with lemon/white wine/butter sauce.

Blue Ridge Dairy burrata with Firehook Bakery Mediterranean crackers.

Butterscotch pudding.

Spanish white fabes (indistinguishable from Tarbais beans) stewed with aromatics, Three Little Pigs smoked trotter, TLP smoked kielbasa and sweet potato

spinach and iceberg salad with feta, avocado, Toigo tomato and vinaigrette

homemade sourdough rye bread

Otter Creek copper ale

Thursday, ยำมะม่วง Green Mango Salad, ไข่ยัดไส้ omelet with siracha sauce (shark brand is way better than rooster) , ผัดผักคะน้าห stir fried Chinese broccoli and brown jasmine rice.

6914744728_e3f5da4462.jpg

Friday we went to Margate N.J. for Passover with my parents.

Saturday, I broke all the dietary laws with a "Dino's Special" from Dino's Sub and Pizza Shop. Essentially the same type of Hoagie as the more well known White House in nearby Atlantic City, same bread (Formica Bros.) and construction. It differs from the Philly style Hoagie that Taylor aspires to, and the special has an absurd amount of meat. The sandwich pictured below is a quarter of the whole thing. It's a childhood favorite of mine. The bread and the construction make the sandwich.

6914744918_6baeeb0e49.jpg

Sunday I made a red curry paste,

7060826725_310d78cd4f.jpg

bought a whole chicken and made ยำกบกะทิ (mock frog [chicken] salad with coconut milk), ไก่กระเทียมพริกไทย (garlic pepper chicken), แกงเผ็ดไก่มะเขือ (red curry with chicken and eggplant), brown jasmine rice and Avery Collaboration not Litigation ale.

7060827075_0c4d80f3d9.jpg

tried a new product from eco-friendly--pork deckle steaks--with excellent results. These are equivalent to beef calotte (or culotte), the cap of meat on top of the rib roast. Bev told me he had been selling them to José Andres, where they were cured and used as "mystery meat" at Mini-Bar--Bev wasn't too sure about that having never eaten there. These are small rectangular, thin, relatively lean steaks, resembling mini flank steaks. I bought three, marinated them for several hours with olive oil, garlic, ancho chile powder, onion, Mexican oregano, cilantro, black pepper and lime juice. I grilled them over charcoal to medium rare, rested them and thin sliced them against the grain. The meat was folded into soft tacos--medium by the time they got to the table, tender, juicy and with a deep meat flavor that wasn't instantly identifiable as pork, but didn't taste like beef.

served with pico de gallo, shredded iceberg, grated cheddar, and Cholula chipotle sauce, rajas de poblanos, Herdez canned refried beans, and Mexican beer (Pacifico and Negro Modelo)

GF* BELTs with lemon chipotle aioli, Three Little Pigs maple bacon and Waterview eggs from Dupont FM.

Jewel yam shoestring fries.

Amy's brand canned chunky tomato soup.

The rest of the 2005 Chehalem Riesling

* GF: Gluten Free with no bread. Used bibb lettuce to do wrap style. Worked pretty well even with the runny egg.

Mom-made potato salad, which will always be one of my favorite foods.

Vanilla Caramel Drumstick classic ice cream cone.

So-close-can-almost-taste-it thoughts of tomorrow's salt water adventures.

(plus my first/last time watching)

(american idol and survivor)

(pop culture anthropology week 2012!)

last night:

mixed green salad with shredded fennel and Toigo tomatoes. blue cheese dressing

herb-brined, charcoal roasted, applewood-smoked TJ's organic chicken (eco-friendly won't be selling fresh chicken until early June. until then, only frozen thawed birds.)

roasted, mashed sweet potato with oj, oz, and fresh ginger

2009 DuBoeuf Morgon (meh)

Dinner in two parts. Part one was radish spread (from Martha Stewart this month), crackers, cheese and mustard, grapes, mojitos, and wine out on the lawn with the neighbor. Part two was a smoked eggplant salad and papadums for an evening snack.

The salad is from Julie Sahni's Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking, and it is one of those recipes I would never have chosen to make, but it was served to me by a friend and was so amazing that I bought the cookbook because of it. Now I need my eggplant plants to be bigger than an inch tall. :)

Thursday, chicken with ginger ไก่ผัดขิง and chicken tom yum ต้มยำไก่ with brown jasmine rice and vegetables.

6929344596_6540499f97.jpg

Friday and Saturday, mango salad ยำมะม่วง (mango was almost ripe so I made a "black" dressing with roasted garlic, roasted chillies, tamarind, palm sugar, fish sauce and coconut cream), Ayershire ground pork with chillies, green beans, and eggplant หมูผัดพริก, with brown jasmine rice and vegetables.

6929344760_70a2581af6.jpg

Sunday, chapatis, methi gosht (lamb with fresh fenugreek greens), hari chutney (cilantro chutney), masoor dhal, ghobi aloo (cauliflower and potatoes).

7083820083_80db71f23c.jpg

Orange (marmalade) and balsamic chicken thighs*over ww couscous with toasted hazelnuts and golden raisins

Steamed broccoli

Russell Stover raspberry cream egg :wub:

* I browned up the chicken and made the sauce then cooked in my slow cooker. I knew the cooker runs too hot, because it bubbles even on the low setting. I figured after under an hour, since it had probably cooked the chicken through quickly, that I'd keep it on the warm setting until dinner-- until I saw the sauce bubbling away on warm :angry:

A new Hamilton Beach slow cooker should be on my doorstep Wednesday. Thank you Amazon Prime :) I'm looking forward to getting back into crock pot cooking.

Still cooking with Julie Sahni.

Black peppercorn and cumin papad

Spicy mushrooms with ginger and green chilies

Potatoes with fenugreek greens

A fumé blanc that just happened to be in my glass, but worked really well with the complexity and fragrance of the spices.