Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Cornbread

Leftover escarole soup

Baked chicken thighs

Leftover potato gratin

Leftover roasted broccoli with pine nuts

Leftover roasted butternut squash

The cornbread was nice crumbled into the soup.

after eating a filling lunch at Bangkok Golden, a salad was requested for dinner! so, a colorful riff on the _Ottolenghi_ recipe I've made several times.

stovetop grilled golden cauliflower, grilled bermuda onion, chickpeas, tomato, spinach, baby lacinato kale, feta,  mustard-caper vinaigrette and dill

chocolate blood orange cake and vanilla ice cream

2012 Royal steen

Spaghetti with braised endive, radicchio, fennel, gorgonzola, bacon.  Meant to put some pine nuts in but forgot.  Sometimes my improvisational dishes work well, sometimes not so much.  This would've been better with Parmesan and guanciale, but at least Mr. P liked the blue cheese.  A glass of Fever Tree tonic with lime to accompany.  Guess I was feeling bitter.

Escarole soup with cornbread

Soft chicken tacos (corn tortillas, avocado-tomatillo salsa, cubed avocado, shredded romaine, chopped tomatoes, cheddar and Monterey jack cheese, and sour cream)

Last night: A big ass prawn.  Described as gigante maxi in Italian.  Pan seared in butter topped with Old Bay.  Coppa and ementhaler to munch on while the prawn was cooking.  Mini fruit tarts and cannoli for dessert.

Tonight: sauteed squash blossoms, potato pancakes and pan fried lamb chops.  Black Greek olive tapanade on crackers to munch on while everything was cooking.  Strawberries and cream for dessert.

Family and Neighbor Grill Night By The Pool

Baked stuffed clams; emphasis of thyme and onion

Grilled (dry/no STP) scallops wrapped in bacon; enhanced with mesquite from the smoker

Grilled shrimp kabobs; marinated in Penzey's Jerk Seasoning and cilantro-infused olive oil

Brussels sprouts "pot sticker method"; pan-seared, then boiled down in homemade chicken stock

Mushrooms grilled with garlic and sage

Jalapeno Margaritas and Dragon Berry Sours

(dinner enjoyed by the pool)

(with several jumping into the pool)

(three cheers for solar heating technology)

• Like 3

Roasted pork tenderloin (seasoned with cumin, salt, and pepper)

Roasted carrots

Mashed avocado with Greek yogurt and lime juice, topped with salted sunflower seeds

Based on a Real Simple recipe - only slight variations, it was very tasty!  Brought up a question for me, though - other than Niman Ranch (which is what I ended up buying), what are some good pork sources available locally?  The Harris Teeter near me has basically Smithfield (which I refuse to buy) and nothing else.

Brought up a question for me, though - other than Niman Ranch (which is what I ended up buying), what are some good pork sources available locally?  The Harris Teeter near me has basically Smithfield (which I refuse to buy) and nothing else.

The best thing to do is look for pork at a farmers' market. Pretty much any market you can get to will have a vendor selling locally raised, pastured pork.

last night:

mache and baby romaine salad with anchovy vinaigrette, parmesan cheese and homemade croutons

charcoal-grilled prawns

marinated chickpeas, artichoke hearts and roasted red peppers

vanilla ice cream with Kahlua

2012 Drylands sauvignon blanc

Old friend comes for dinner while her kid has soccer practice:

Summer homemade salsa (from freezer) and chips

Baked panzanella salad (Giada DeLaurentis recipe, yummy)

Grilled skewers of zucchini and chunks of Italian turkey sausage

Angel food cake topped with strawberries macerated in red raspberry liquer and sugar

Cheap pinot grigio

Please tell me where you found mache.

Next Step organic farm stand at Dupont Circle market--Heinz Thomet's stand. He was alternating weeks with Tree and Leaf all winter, but they are going back to Spring/Summer hours as of this weekend, so thy may both be there every week now. Not sure, but you might check with Fresh Farm Markets to avoid making a trip for naught. Well, it's never for naught, but if you went specifically to get mache from Heinz and he wasn't there, it would be a drag. The market has been sort of sparse lately.

• Like 1

I've liked the pork I've gotten from Groff's Content Farm, outside at Eastern Market on Tuesdays through much of the year, but also at other locations in the area.

On that note, I stopped by their spot at Eastern Market yesterday and bought 2 chops, about 1 1/2 lbs.  They had chops on sale for $5/lb.  I can't recall what their regular price is, but $7 for two of them was a good deal.  I'm making them tomorrow.

Zuppa di cozze ("mussel soup")

No pic, sorry.

Begin by warming some olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat, then add sliced garlic. Fry the garlic until it becomes a pale gold, then add 1-2 fillets of anchovy. The anchovy will disintegrate, then add 1 lb. of mussels, a handful of chopped parsley and 1/4 cup white wine or water. Cover. Steam the mussels until they pop open. Remove pot from heat. Transfer the mussels with a slotted spoon to a large bowl.

Shell the mussels; discard any that don't open. Transfer mussel meat back to the pot you steamed them in (which will also have the accumulated mussel juices, garlic, anchovy and parsley). Add 1 can crushed San Marzano tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, partly covered. Taste for salt and pepper, then serve. This recipe is sized for 1-2 people. I usually have this with pasta, but it's wonderful all by itself with a loaf of bread and a salad.

navarin d'agneau--cooked wine marinated lamb shoulder oven braised with the marinade and aromatics, finished with roasted red pepper, potatoes, white turnips, crimini mushrooms, carrots and peas, chopped fresh parsley and tarragon

baguette with homemade cultured sea salt butter

HD caramel gelato topped with chopped chocolate sea salt almonds

2010 Clos l'Hermitage cdr

• Like 1

Roasted pork loin with cannelini beans (in a tomato/onion/sage "sauce") - recipe was from Cooking Light, and it was very tasty.  Was a little too wintery for the weekend weather, but it would be very warming on winter days.

Fresh strawberries drizzled with chocolate sauce for dessert.

"Marinara" made from pureed summer tomatoes (from the freezer), red wine, chicken stock, aromatics and herbs, served on angel hair pasta topped with fresh mozzarella cubes I marinated in homemade pesto and lemon juice.

Spinach and arugula salad with leftover grilled asparagus, simple olive oil and pomegranate balsamic vinegar dressing.

Ramp pesto.

Are these fresh ramps already? If yes, where are they from?

last night:

roasted chicken with saffron, honey, and hazelnuts, from an _Ottolenghi_ recipe. I cut back on the amount of honey and rosewater called for, because J. isn't that crazy about (perfumey) sweet and meat together, and added a little bit of finely chopped preserved Meyer lemon from my pantry.

smoked basmati rice

spinach sauteed with garlic

2013 Royal dry chenin blanc

They were from Eataly, for $2.50 a bunch.

Ramps at USGM probably won't be available until 2-3 weeks from now because of the overly long winter we've been having.

Where did Eataly get them from? must have been pretty far south, given how late the spring is in our local ramps territories.

Are these fresh ramps already? If yes, where are they from?

Go foraging!  The woods near my house are full of ramps already.

Last night:

salad of spring lettuces, claytonia, mache, frisee, tarragon vinaigrette, toasted pine nuts, shaved hard wine-washed goat cheese, and poached duck egg.

Zora thanks for the tip for finding mache.  I bought it from Endless Summer, where it was twice as expensive as the other place, but came with the roots still attached.  After cutting off the leaves I popped the crown and roots into some potting soil, so hopefully I'll have some for the garden this season.

• Like 1

late dinner tonight.

13753442164_d72401972a_z.jpg

Ginger chicken broth, with fried farm egg, ramps and baby spinach

Basically a variation on "garlic soup", with a fried egg instead of poached, and ramp stalks/ramp leaves instead of garlic and parsley. A 1/2 tsp. of finely minced ginger adds a pleasant jolt.

13753441534_925b5b0c78_z.jpg

I think these are sensational.

13753440904_74fef4eb1f_z.jpg

And you really don't need to do much to bring out their best.

The radishes were halved lengthwise (so that the greens would be left intact) and sautéed in unsalted butter with some baby spinach. Sea salt and black pepper to taste, and a splash of wine vinegar.

13753068085_c1113dc13f_z.jpg

Black cod (a/k/a sablefish) with ramp pesto, served with oyster mushrooms and samphire

Samphire is also known as "sea beans" and "glasswort". See fifi's eGullet Foodblog for a particularly memorable entry.

The mushrooms and sea beans were fried in unsalted butter and a little chicken stock, seasoned with sea salt, black pepper and Meyer lemon juice.

• Like 1