Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Salad of green and red leaf lettuce, tomato, fresh mozzarella, cucumber, mushrooms, radishes, and bacon; miso-ginger vinaigrette

Stir-fried broccoli, tofu, pork, snow peas, mushrooms, shirataki noodles, and scallions

last night:

corpse reviver #2 (gin-lillet blanc-cointreau-lemon juice-brandied cherry)

fresh pea soup with mint

panko-crusted fish cakes made with leftover Copper River salmon and Spanish canned tuna loin

served with sorrel remoulade

2013 Drylands sauvignon blanc

After two weeks of no kitchen, I went grocery shopping.

Tonight I am making scallops with a remoulade and mashed potatoes as an homage to Corduroy. However, I am also serving up a quick little salad of fennel, orange and shallot to go with. A nice solid white from either Spain or California to go with.

I get to cook again! WAHOOOOOOOOOO!

• Like 3

Tofu kaprow, served over jasmine rice, holy basil and young garlic from the garden, sliceable tofu from Super H.  I think the flavor profile would also be very good with eggplant and sweet peppers.

If you are like me and have read Fishinnards' posts about holy basil, you were thinking, wow, he really likes that herb.  If I come across it, maybe I'll give it a try.  Now I get why he is willing to run all over town to find it - it is a unique herb, and an exquisitely wonderful one at that.  The two of us sat on the deck parsing the flavor profile:  Anise.  A little rosemary?  Clove.  Soft mint.  Unrecognizable tropical floral notes. There's fruit on the nose - stone fruit?  Grapes. Table grapes - that's it.  We ate the entire pan full, I had put about two cups of leaves in right at the end of cooking, and we wanted more.  I'm going to head outside and encourage my plants to grow faster.  

• Like 4

Grilled chicken legs with bbq sauce

Grilled marinated lamb shoulder blade chops

Tzatziki sauce made with sheep's milk yogurt

Grilled zucchini

Orzo pesto salad with feta, parsley, nicoise olives, toasted pine nuts and cherry tomatoes

Grilled buttered corn on the cob

Tonight will be my first attempt as grilling dry aged ribeyes at home. I can grill regular ribeyes quite well, but I will be watching these like a hawk so as to not overcook them. Maybe some frites and/or grilled asparagus to go with?

Costco rotisserie chicken

No. 1 and Sons Kalechi and Curried Beets

Bibb salad with french shallot vinaigrette

Mt. P farmer's market tomatoes with back-yard basil, olive oil, S+P and Costco Buffalo mozzarella (12.99 for 5 balls, imported from Italy, amazing deal.  My friend from Tuscany is addicted to it, so I figured it had to be good)

• Like 1

Burgers on the grill at the in laws with tomato and leaf lettuce from the garden.  Zucchini ribbons with pesto and a cucumber, tomato and pepper salad. Frozen onion rings that I had never had that I hate to admit were pretty tasty.  

Tonight will be my first attempt as grilling dry aged ribeyes at home. I can grill regular ribeyes quite well, but I will be watching these like a hawk so as to not overcook them. Maybe some frites and/or grilled asparagus to go with?

OK these were pretty spectacular steaks. I should have had them cut to 1.75 inches instead of 1.5, but i stayed close and pretty much nailed the temp (Precisely between rare and medium rare) - but lacked *enough* try crispy fat -- any tricks? Frites were good and asparagus got a tad  blackened but still tasted delicious. Juan Gil current vintage from Spain was a good pairing.

Leftover grilled chicken

Leftover orzo pesto salad

Leftover grilled zucchini

Green bean and mushroom casserole with crushed potato chips

I had a lot of mushrooms and milk that had to be used ASAP, and also had some green beans I'd bought at Eastern Market on Saturday, so I dug around for a recipe for "from scratch" green bean casserole.  It seemed odd making it in June instead of, say, November, but it came out great.  The process didn't really heat the kitchen up too much.  Instead of making fried onions for the top, I crushed up some Cape Cod kettle chips, which was a good substitution.

Freestyle donburi:

steamed rice topped with sweet, brown donburi sauce with onion slices simmered in it and egg omelette.

Added garlic sauteed dinosaur kale and red bell pepper

garnished with various pickles - tokuan neon yellow radish and deep purple eggplant I bought at Hana and some homemade vietnamese-style daikon radish and carrot slices.

A very colorful meal last night:

Fruit and cheese platter -- Fresh figs stuffed with cottage cheese with peppered honey; Abate pear sauce and black raspberries

Mini Caprese salad

Pan-fried salmon and rainbow trout fillets on a bed of watercress and baby spinach with heirloom tomato, feta, nicoise olives, and cucumber; lemon-lime vinaigrette

Leftover ear of grilled buttered corn

Honey and vinegar glazed carrots

Whole wheat pita bread

The Caprese was "mini" because it had multi-colored cherry tomatoes and a small ball of buffalo mozzarella (bocconcino?)  I had gotten the idea for the fish from a restaurant special I saw listed recently.  I bought about 1/4 pound piece of each type of fish.  The colors contrasted slightly with each other and looked pretty with all the other ingredients.  

Made a bunch of stuffed pitas for dinner last night, some with lamb and some with beef:

Leftover grilled lamb and tzatziki sauce

Beef barbacoa meatballs 

Guacamole

Shredded lettuce

Sliced tomato

Sour cream

Whole wheat pita bread

last night:

gazpacho

herb-brined eco-friendly pork chops, stove-top grilled

fried rice (made with leftover rice from Joe's Noodle House)

green beans

brown sugar caramel gelato

An excellent rioja, but I have already pitched the bottle and can't recall the name or vintage :unsure:

a few nights ago, green tuna salad on Bread Furst corn rye; leftover chilled creamy corn soup with basil oil

green tuna salad = Ortiza tuna, homemade mayo, celery, a little scallion, salt-cured capers, picholine olives, cornichons, lots of tarragon

the corn rye is awesome, doesn't have an overwhelming taste of carraway, but once in every two or three slices you can taste coriander

For the Fourth:

Deviled eggs
Turkey burgers with smoked gouda
Spare ribs
Grilled beer-braised bratwursts
Fresh fava beans, cherry tomatoes, and watercress with apple cider vinaigrette
Corn on the cob with butter

Last night:
Leftover deviled eggs
Caprese pesto salad with favas (using basil-spinach pesto instead of basil leaves)
Grilled skewered pork chunks tossed with chopped grilled peaches and arugula; balsamic honey vinaigrette
Grilled chicken breasts with bbq sauce
Leftover brats
Corn on the cob with butter
Baked potatoes with butter or sour cream

Tanqueray Ten Negronis

Everything fresh from the Silver Spring market and on the grill:

Potatoes brushed with garlic scape butter (the scapes were a gift)

Green beans tossed with olive oil, salt, and pepper

Garden Path sirloin, olive oil, s&p

Vanilla ice cream with homemade sour cherry sauce

Martha Stewart's turkey burgers (my favorite recipe - with Gruyere, Dijon mustard, breadcrumbs, scallions, and garlic in the patties)

Jean-Georges Vongerichten's roasted corn with Manchego and lime (my favorite summer side dish)

It was our July 4 "BBQ," just a couple of days late.  ;)

Jean-Georges Vongerichten's roasted corn with Manchego and lime (my favorite summer side dish)

I just saw this recipe over the weekend and am now going to make it sooner rather than later.  Thanks for the recommendation!

Recipe for corn pudding, please?

I didn't write down what I did, but here goes an approximation:

kernels cut off of 4 ears of previously steamed corn, cause I had them in the fridge. Uncooked would work just as well, if not better

put the corn in the blender with

2 eggs

about 1 1/2 cups of milk and creme fraiche together

3 or 4 T. of melted butter

1 T. of agave syrup

whisk together

1/3 c. flour

1 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. cumin

mix contents of blender into dry ingredients

stir in 1 roasted, chopped poblano chile

pour into buttered casserole

bake at 375 F. for approx. 40-45 minutes until it stops jiggling and is brown on top

you could use canned green chile and add cheese, as a variant. Or make it without the cumin and green chile.

• Like 2

Well this past week I got to cook a few meals for the in-laws at the beach: Fresh, but not homemade linguine, with zucchini from the garden, fresh shrimp from Barnacle Bill's in HHI and a garlic, white wine, butter and olive oil sauce. Topped with some Parmesan.  Another night I made Maryland Crab Cakes.  And then we grilled red snapper on the grill that we had with a rustic ratatouille and a crab sauce.  The next day this turned into fish tacos and crab soup.  

salad of baby greens, including lots of sunflower shoots and pea shoots, with red wine* vinaigrette

a soft ripened cow cheese

slices of finocchiona

kalamata olives and cornichons

black raspberries with cream for dessert

*All Things Olive (at Union Market and Bethesda Central Farm Market) sells outstanding vinegars by Katz; check it out if you haven't yet!

ps  that roasted corn with lime and Manchego is great; I'd forgotten about it, thanks for the reminder

Salad of gem lettuce, tomato, bacon, deviled eggs, and shredded Manchego cheese; miso-ginger vinaigrette

Bulgur with mushrooms and leftover barbacoa meatballs

Leftover honey vinegar glazed carrots

Early yesterday I made a batch of an old Martha Stewart recipe for bulgur softened in beef broth and combined with sautéed mushrooms and shallots. I refrigerated it, and then, for dinner, I reheated it in the microwave with leftover spicy beef meatballs nestled in the mix. It was a great combination.

Given my previous difficulties with Bob's Red Mill quick-cooking bulgur, I brought the broth to a boil and cooked the bulgur in the broth for several minutes before leaving it to soak, as plain soaking doesn't seem to work with this.  That still wasn't enough.  I ended up cooking it in more broth for at least as long as the package directions say, then letting it sit to absorb, and it still didn't get that soft.  After enough time, additions of more broth, and heating, it eventually was okay, but this stuff sure is a challenge to work with. 

Pat--

Have you contacted the company to let them know, and ask them what might explain the difference between their instructions and your experience? They might appreciate hearing feedback, and you might get some useful information and/or product from them.

Pat--

Have you contacted the company to let them know, and ask them what might explain the difference between their instructions and your experience? They might appreciate hearing feedback, and you might get some useful information and/or product from them.

I should probably do that, Zora.  Before that, though, I ought to try making one batch exactly as they say on the package.  Ending up cooking it for their cooking time after doing all kinds of other things first might be an explanation for the problem.  I've still got part of a package left.  I meant to look for bulgur at Trader Joe's yesterday, as I've made that successfully in the past, but I forgot...even though it was on my list!

Last night was an assortment of several smallish things:

Squash blossom quesadillas

Leftover grilled brats on buns (all cut in half to make smaller sandwiches)

Chicken penne pesto salad made with leftover grilled chicken breast and excess basil-spinach pesto

Last night was zucchini boats with the zucchini pulp, ground beef, radish, onion and a spicy red pepper sauce topped with smoked mozzarella.  In what is obviously a mistake I also brought a frozen entree to work with zucchini, that I am regretting since we have so much in the fridge that I need to use.

Zucchini, rice base with pork and beef meatballs made with finely chopped radish and poblano in them and then a slaw of nappa, radish, green onion and goat cheese on top.  We are having some interesting meals lately because I am in that stage where I kind of really need to go to the grocery store, but I also can still make a lot of meals with what we have.  

last night:

wild salmon burgers with Asian flavors (lemon grass, kaffir lime zest and juice, ginger, scallions, cilantro, soy sauce, panko and egg)

served on buns with frisee, lettuce and wasabi mayo

sliced cucumber with rice vinegar, soy sauce, cilantro and red pepper flakes

potato chips

cantaloupe

2013 Muga rosé

• Like 1

Tonight was leftover meatballs with spaghetti and a jarred red sauce with grated squash and some red wine. The epic days of squash continue.  The spaghetti sauce actually turned out pretty good.  The dog was begging for the bits of squash stuck to our bowls, which is hilarious because he won't eat a raw vegetable to save his life.  

Whole wheat pita bread and roasted garlic hummus

Skate wing with lemon butter

Spinach salad with bacon, mushrooms, tomato, shredded Parmesan, and warm bacon-apple cider vinaigrette

The skate came from The District Fishwife.  It was less expensive than I thought it would be, since I wasn't factoring in how light it is.  Should have bought more.  I seasoned the butter for the fish with lemon juice and dried lemongrass,* plus some powdered ginger, garlic, and s+p.  I spooned what was left in the pan after cooking over the skate to serve.

*Impulse purchase on a recent Penzey's trip.

farro (cooked in corn stock) tossed with cherry tomatoes, roasted zucchini, parsley

roasted corn with lime and pecorino toscano (didn't have manchego)

watermelon and feta with Thai basil, olive oil

slices of salami with herbs de provence

peach/blueberry/black raspberry galette

• Like 1

Goat cheese brie and baguette slices

Grilled chicken breast and drumsticks with bbq sauce

Grilled top sirloin steak fajitas

--Grill-roasted red peppers

--Caramelized onions

--Sour cream

--Flour tortillas

Buttered corn on the cob

Grilled purple eggplant (fairly small, narrow type--don't know the name)

last night, my dinner was a big bowl of romano beans stewed with olive oil, leek-onion-garlic, fresh tomato, chunks of smoky roasted eggplant, aromatic herbs. gigante beans stirred in, topped with a dollop of pesto, chopped fresh basil and parsley.

2013 Nobilo sauvignon blanc

• Like 1

The first eggplant came out of the garden, so eggplant and tofu kaprow over jasmine rice.  The holy basil loves this heat and is cranking out there.  I wish I could preserve it decently, but there's just nothing quite like fresh.