Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Goat cheese, swiss chard, and bacon pizza. Swiss chard and a few very overgrown bunching onions harvested from the garden; crust dough and tomato sauce from Giant because I am both lazy and super busy at the moment.

Also harvested a ton of tomatillos and some chinese celery, need to make plans to deal with these asap.

• Like 1

Soup of the evening. Beautiful, beautiful soooooup*

duck stock, fresh cranberry beans, eco-friendly bacon lardons, onion, leek, garlic, celery, carrots, butternut squash, fennel, barley, corn puree, fennel seed, aromatic herbs

Bonaparte baguette & Kerrygold butter

comice pear

2013 Comolaluna palomino

*from _With Bold Knife and Fork_ by MFK Fisher

• Like 1

Pat, would you mind sharing where you get your ideas for salad dressings?  I always end up making the same tarragon, Dijon vinaigrette.

Sometimes it's picking from the various vinegars and oils I have and combining what seems good together.  Sometimes I take ideas from cookbooks or blogs.  Other times I recreate a type of bottled dressing.  That sesame-shiitake vinaigrette is a bottled dressing (Annie's), but I have made versions of my own, using toasted sesame oil, neutral vegetable oil, apple cider or rice vinegar, a little tamari or low-sodium soy sauce, rehydrated dried shiitakes, and sesame seeds.  I usually keep a bottle of that or TJ's sesame-soy-ginger vinaigrette on hand for quick marinating.  Making my own tends to be better from the standpoint of keeping the amount of sodium down.  Sometimes I note which dressings are homemade and which are bottled, but I often don't make the distinction.

Last night

Salad of red leaf lettuce with tomato, avocado, cojita cheese, roasted hazelnuts, and cremini mushrooms; sesame-shiitake vinaigrette ;)
Beef brisket with onions, carrots, baby yellow beets, and tomatoes in braising liquid
Mashed yukon gold potatoes
Steamed green beans with black pepper and butter
Steamed broccoli with hot pepper sesame oil

I steamed the green beans in the microwave and they came out a little bit on the raw side of crispy.  At least they won't be overdone when I reheat them...I had heavy cream several months old that I absolutely had to finish up, so I used that for the potatoes instead of milk.  Wow, were those some fabulous mashed potatoes.  All of that extra fat took them to a transcendent place :wub: .

Mole verde con pollo (chicken in green sauce with tomatillos and jalapenos from the garden, pumpkin seeds and spices), arroz al la Mexicana (rice), frijoles negros de la olla (black beans), rajas de chile poblano with poblanos from the Four Mile Run Farmer's Market, (which turned out to be very spicy, hooray!), and tortillas.

15397280688_fbbe478fc5_z.jpg

• Like 3

Tomatillo salsa freezes surprisingly well.

Yes, some will likely end up in the freezer if there is enough space (if last night didn't kill off the tomatillos, I might get a few more pounds in this season). I have a 3/4 size fridge and freezer space is at a premium after summer berry-picking season, plus I have three massive squash to slaughter in competition for the same space. Maybe a blackberry pie needs to enter into the upcoming baking rotation...

Yes, some will likely end up in the freezer if there is enough space (if last night didn't kill off the tomatillos, I might get a few more pounds in this season). I have a 3/4 size fridge and freezer space is at a premium after summer berry-picking season, plus I have three massive squash to slaughter in competition for the same space. Maybe a blackberry pie needs to enter into the upcoming baking rotation...

Well, the fuller the freezer is, the more effective it's supposed to be :) .

• Like 1

Sometimes it's picking from the various vinegars and oils I have and combining what seems good together.  Sometimes I take ideas from cookbooks or blogs.  Other times I recreate a type of bottled dressing.  That sesame-shiitake vinaigrette is a bottled dressing (Annie's), but I have made versions of my own, using toasted sesame oil, neutral vegetable oil, apple cider or rice vinegar, a little tamari or low-sodium soy sauce, rehydrated dried shiitakes, and sesame seeds.  I usually keep a bottle of that or TJ's sesame-soy-ginger vinaigrette on hand for quick marinating.  Making my own tends to be better from the standpoint of keeping the amount of sodium down.  Sometimes I note which dressings are homemade and which are bottled, but I often don't make the distinction.

Thanks - I'm going to try to be a little more creative, and I bought a six-pack of romaine hearts as inspiration.  I've got a couple of jars of dried mushrooms on hand, too.

Roasted butternut squash with sriracha yogurt, cilantro sauce, and roasted pepitas - from the Ottolenghi article in last week's Post food section

Romaine in a cilantro, Key lime dressing

Last night I made vegetable beef soup.  When we had our feast with all the grass fed steaks I saved the bones and trimmings. I cut off all the small bits of meat left and there was one small part of a steak that hadn't been eaten that I cut up.  I sauteed onion and garlic in butter then added in the bones and trimmings, after they all cooked a little I added some thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper and then hot water.  After cooking as much goodness out as I could in a short period of time I removed the bones and pulled off any last bits of meat on them.  I then added fresh crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, potatoes and let it cook a bit.  I then added carrots, green beans and peas.  The broth needed a small kick so I added a little bit of crushed red pepper flakes, and half of a vegetable bullion cube and two dashes or Worcestershire sauce.  At the very last minute I added all the bits of beef.  Actually turned out really good, especially on a dreary evening.

linguini with slow cooked bolognese (hot Italian sausage made by me with eco-friendly ground pork, onion-leek-garlic-fennel-carrot-celery base, pureed fresh tomatoes, other tomato products to beef it up, roasted wild maitake 'shrooms, porcini powder, wine, aromatic herbs)

lettuce and cucumber salad with lime vinaigrette

Bonaparte baguette garlic toast

comice pear

2011 Cantina Zacagnini montepulciano

Pork and tomatillo stew, with corn chips.  Did not use up as many tomatillos as I'd like.

Also made a cream of Chinese celery soup using a new type of celery that I have not grown before for lunch tomorrow.  I've grown Chinese celery before and found it pleasant in soup, but this variety has reddish stems and very skinny stalks and is quite different from what I grew before. It smells strongly of celery but has a strange aftertaste kind of like anise. I may need to revert to Plan B for lunch (pork and tomatillo leftovers).

Soup/sludgy lentils- gold lentils, red onion, smoky bacon lardons, water, chicken broth, s&p- MUCH more than the sum of it's parts. & I'm sure everyone notices how I get on here about 1/wk & post about everything under the sun, I promise no accapella videos this evening.

Leftover pork and tomatillo stew. Also made a blackberry pie to make more freezer space - my apartment stove/oven has really weird heating properties, and it took about two hours to cook the pie even though I heated the blackberries up on the stove a bit first. And yet I can't put a digital thermometer on the back of the stove because the plastic melts...

ลาบไà¸à¹ˆ Laap Gai (chopped chicken salad), ไà¸à¹ˆà¸œà¸±à¸”ใบà¸à¸°à¹€à¸žà¸£à¸² Gai Pad Bai Grapao (chicken stir fried with holy basil), ไข่เจียว Khai Jiew (Thai omelet) with ซ้อสศรีราชา Sauce Siracha (Sriracha sauce), หมูà¹à¸”ดเดียว Mu Daet Diao (Pork Jerky from Bangkok 54) and chicken skin with à¹à¸ˆà¹ˆà¸§ Jaew (dried chili dipping sauce), vegetables and jasmine rice.

15610359081_e1362c6884.jpg

• Like 3

chicken skin with à¹à¸ˆà¹ˆà¸§ Jaew (dried chili dipping sauce)

I take it that the chicken skin is seen in the upper right corner of your lovely picture. How do you prepare it? Is it as crisp as it looks? The skin is certainly my favorite part of a well-roasted chicken, but I've never prepared it as a dish on its own, and would love to.

Pan-fried polenta topped with onions and crimini mushrooms in a red wine, balsamic reduction

Roasted acorn squash with dates and lemon thyme

I thought it would be more difficult to transition to vegan for Mr. lperry's Mark Bittman-esque lifestyle change, but it's pretty easy to leave out the little bits of dairy I usually use and add in various herbs and spices.  A plate full of vegetables is more filling than one might think.  This weather, however, is making me want macaroni and cheese.  :)

I take it that the chicken skin is seen in the upper right corner of your lovely picture. How do you prepare it? Is it as crisp as it looks? The skin is certainly my favorite part of a well-roasted chicken, but I've never prepared it as a dish on its own, and would love to.

This is something I got from Mission Street Food by Anthony Myint and Karen Leibowitz. The recipe itself is a take on Peking Duck. I make this whenever I have chicken skin, which is frequently because I'm always breaking down chickens into parts for various dishes. The technique is simple. Put the skin on a cookie sheet layered with parchment paper. Add another layer of parchment on top and to with another cookie sheet so the skin lays flat. Bake at 300 for 45 minutes. When it's done you can pour the fat off and use it for something great and you get golden crispy chicken skins which you can sprinkle with a little salt and eat while drinking a cold beer. I usually eat them all while I finish cooking. FYI If you use regular grocery store chickens like Perdue (which I do not), you will get a tremendous amount of fat, so you need to watch for spillover. Non-factory farm chickens are much leaner (and tastier).

In my youth I was deprived of poultry skin. My parents followed the prevailing nutritional wisdom of the time, which meant lipophobia. Chicken was always skinned (even fried chicken!), butter was margarine, lard was crisco etc. The Thanksgiving turkey's crispy skin was removed and discarded, at least until I was in my twenties and realized the best part of the meal was going in the trash. After that my uncle and I would rescue the skin and split it between us. It was kinda weird that the belief in the evils of animal fat overrode my father's frugality and what was otherwise an inability to waste any food. My parents still don't eat chicken skin.

• Like 2

In my youth I was deprived of poultry skin. My parents followed the prevailing nutritional wisdom of the time, which meant lipophobia. Chicken was always skinned (even fried chicken!), butter was margarine, lard was crisco etc.

A friend of mine back in the 80s, when lipophobia was at its height, would get fried chicken from Popeye's and pull all the skin off and throw it away. My mind boggled even at the time. And it's funny about butter and lard; we know now that they're much healthier than margarine and Crisco.

Anyway, thanks. I'll have to give your chicken-skin dish a try. I wish I could just buy some skin. It occurs to me just now that a big old stewing hen, which I like to make stock with, could give up all of her skin for this before she goes into the pot. I wonder how different an old hen's skin might be from that of a young chicken. Tastier, perhaps?

Chapatis (ata [whole wheat flour] water), hari chutney (cilantro, mint, ginger, garlic, roasted cumin, black salt, chillies, lime juice, salt), raita (cucumber, yogurt, roasted cumin, salt, pepper), moong dal (garlic, ginger, turmeric, chillies, ghee, onions, panch phoran [bengali 5 spice], asafoetida, lime juice, jaggery), gobi aloo (cauliflower, potatoes, peanut oil, ginger, cumin seeds, chillies, coriander seed powder, turmeric, garam masala, salt), hot mango pickle, gongura chutney Andhra style (made and smuggled back from India by a friend's aunt). 

Leftover cod, bacon, snow peas, and cauliflower puree

Leftover sweet potato-squash mash

Leftover polenta with sausage and cheese

My husband had a sampler plate of all the leftovers, and I had just sweet potato/squash and polenta.  We're making our way through a lot of leftovers.

an Ottolenghi meatless monday

eggplant cheesecake, based on a recipe from his new book _Plenty More_ with the addition of roasted red pepper, caramelized onion, parmesan cheese, and fresh parsley. delicious.

oven roasted broccolini

ottolenghi's (apple) cake with maple frosting, recipe found on food52.com--I substituted quince for the apple, and added cardamom to the batter. Instead of muscovado (dark brown) sugar in the maple cream cheese frosting, I used coconut palm sugar. fabulous.

2011 Ancely minervois

Salad of green gem lettuce, red leaf lettuce, avocado, tomato, artichoke hearts, bacon, and cojita cheese; miso-ginger vinaigrette

Leftover lentil-sausage soup

Leftover sopa seca with spinach and chickpeas

Transitioned from chapatis to rice. Same moong dal, carrots (from the garden) with fenugreek (methi) greens, raita with cherry tomatoes and radish, hari chutney, pickles and a Gujarati potato dish Batata Nu Shaak, simple but a long list of ingredients (coconut oil, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dried chillies, bay leaves, asafoetida, curry leaves, salt, hot chilli powder, turmeric, ginger, fresh green chillies, potatoes, tomatoes, coriander greens, ground coriander seeds, jaggery, and tamarind). Haven't made this in awhile. It was really good. Phone photo:

15466308258_05ff098661.jpg

This is something I got from Mission Street Food by Anthony Myint and Karen Leibowitz. The recipe itself is a take on Peking Duck. I make this whenever I have chicken skin, which is frequently because I'm always breaking down chickens into parts for various dishes. The technique is simple. Put the skin on a cookie sheet layered with parchment paper. Add another layer of parchment on top and to with another cookie sheet so the skin lays flat. Bake at 300 for 45 minutes. When it's done you can pour the fat off and use it for something great and you get golden crispy chicken skins which you can sprinkle with a little salt and eat while drinking a cold beer. I usually eat them all while I finish cooking. FYI If you use regular grocery store chickens like Perdue (which I do not), you will get a tremendous amount of fat, so you need to watch for spillover. Non-factory farm chickens are much leaner (and tastier).

In my youth I was deprived of poultry skin. My parents followed the prevailing nutritional wisdom of the time, which meant lipophobia. Chicken was always skinned (even fried chicken!), butter was margarine, lard was crisco etc. The Thanksgiving turkey's crispy skin was removed and discarded, at least until I was in my twenties and realized the best part of the meal was going in the trash. After that my uncle and I would rescue the skin and split it between us. It was kinda weird that the belief in the evils of animal fat overrode my father's frugality and what was otherwise an inability to waste any food. My parents still don't eat chicken skin.

I am definitely going to try this w/ all the duck skin I pulled off today-I broke down my first duck, so breasts, legs, & misc skin, fat have been thrown back in the freezer, until I figure out what I want to do, & the wings & the rest of the carcass (chopped up w/ my Thai cleaver) went in the pressure cooker w/ ginger, garlic, lemongrass, peppercorns, soaked shiitake mushrooms Thai basil & rau ram, bay leaves, chilies, & some fish sauce for a stock, which smells miles better than my beef bone broth (which the puppies have enjoyed). I chickened out, & didn't use the innards.

Transitioned from chapatis to rice. Same moong dal, carrots (from the garden) with fenugreek (methi) greens, raita with cherry tomatoes and radish, hari chutney, pickles and a Gujarati potato dish Batata Nu Shaak, simple but a long list of ingredients (coconut oil, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dried chillies, bay leaves, asafoetida, curry leaves, salt, hot chilli powder, turmeric, ginger, fresh green chillies, potatoes, tomatoes, coriander greens, ground coriander seeds, jaggery, and tamarind). Haven't made this in awhile. It was really good. Phone photo:

15466308258_05ff098661.jpg

Eric, the potato dish is actually Tameta Batata nu Shaak. You guessed it, tameta for the tomatoes. It is one of my favorite childhood veg dishes.  In my home, we eat it with khichadi for a simple supper. In fact, that's on the menu for dinner tomorrow night here. Cheers.

• Like 1

last night:

per J's request for a light supper of "Chinese chicken salad": stovetop grilled marinated chicken tenders sliced atop a big bowl of shredded iceberg, celery, cukes, scallions, orange segments, jalapeí±o slices, cilantro, ginger-sesame vinaigrette. and since it needed to be old school to satisfy, J had crispy chow mein noodles with his.

This week has been a slow progression through a large vat of leek-potato-chard-kielbasa soup, using leeks and chard from the garden. And a not very successful chili experiment which seems to have spent too much time in the crockpot resulting in a mealy texture to the ground beef (I was hoping to be safe with 80% lean, but no such luck).

Tonight there was a squash emergency, wherein I discovered several small soft spots on my large cushaw. Past experience with the exponential growth of rotting patches on winter squash resulted in a large chunk of evening going to the transformation of the squash into a 4+ qt bowl of cushaw purée. The last piece is still in the oven about to go into my tiny food processor. I had been considering working with one of the cushaw (I have two) this Sunday, so now I just need to find space in the fridge for the Sunday cushaw pie and bread baking plus maybe a curried cushaw soup, and space in the freezer for baggies of purée.

• Like 1

Sweet potato soup, spicy, topped with crumbled bacon

Salad of shredded brussels sprouts, pumpkin seeds and more crumbled bacon with a warm bacon viniagrette. Really nice combo. I used pomegranate balsamic for the dressing, but I saw Elizabeth's post above and want to try it with apple cider.

Salad of shredded brussels sprouts, pumpkin seeds and more crumbled bacon with a warm bacon viniagrette. Really nice combo.

Ooh, pumpkin seeds, that does sound good.

linguine with shrimp, toasted bread crumbs, sorrel, parsley, really good olive oil, garlic, Aleppo pepper

a few pieces of Halloween candy for dessert

Last night - dinner with friends: braised beef with hand-pulled noodles (an attempt at X'ian style noodles). Moderate success, noodles need a little work but the beef turned out well. Dessert of baked alaska (Mt. Vesuvius version for friend's belated birthday) - yellow cake with Talenti vanilla gelato, meringue with half-eggshell of brandy on top, flambéed.

Operation Cushaw update: non-dairy cushaw bread currently in oven, cushaw pie in preparation. Plans for cushaw custard early next week.