• Please log in to reply
9713 replies to this topic

#9701 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:44 AM

I used unsalted matzo meal.  :-)  And really it was a mixture of schmalz and canola oil (didn't have enough schmaltz).

Last night, take two.  Better, still not great. 

Do you shred or puree the potato? Try doing a mix of both. I shred all of the potatoes in the cuisinart with the grating blade. Then squeeze the shreds in a dishtowel to get out as much water as possible. Then take 1/3 of the shreds, and puree them with the egg, onion, matzo meal, baking powder and salt. Mix the puree with the remaining shreds.

dinner last night:

potato, leek, and cauliflower soup made with chicken broth in the pot that the schmaltz and gribenes had cooked in, without washing the pot. I sauteed the onion and leek in the chicken fat that remained in the pot, and used the soup to deglaze the layer of crusty, oniony fond left in the bottom from the gribenes. Oh, and there was some napa cabbage in there, too. I pureed it with a hand blender. Wow, was that delicious soup. We ate it with some German 100% rye pumpernickel.

#9702 Ilaine

Ilaine

Catfish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:56 PM

Last Sunday, sweetbreads.  One heart sweetbread from Fields of Athenry, half a pound total weight, at $6.99 a pound it cost $3.50.  Never made sweetbreads before, so spent a long time researching preparation.

Soaked for hours in cold salted water in the refrigerator, changing the water several times.  Lightly poached in salted water with a Meyer lemon squeezed in, not that it needed Meyer but that was what we had.  Cool until able to handle it, then remove membrane and extraneous matter.

Julia Child says that removing the membrane is "quite time consuming."  Darlin', if JULIA thinks it's time consuming, yours truly thought it was maddening.  But, it's Sunday, and I don't have anything better to do.  Put resulting pieces on a pile of paper towels stacked on a plate, cover with more paper towels, another plate, weight with a #2 can, someone said.  #2 can is 20 ounces, approximated with three cans of tuna.  Chill.

Salt.  Pepper. Dip in gluten free flour, then egg wash, then gluten free panko.  Saute in butter.  Put on paper towels, squeeze more Meyer lemon juice into the now browned butter, add capers.  Plate, top with pan sauce.

Actually, quite good.  I think gluten free breadcrumbs would be better than panko, but my husband liked the panko.

Would I make them again?  Hmmm.  Maybe.  I did like them, a lot, and doubt I can find anybody else willing to use gluten free breading, but taking off the membranes was TEDIOUS.  I used Joyce Chen scissors, which snip at the tip, not the base, and a crab knife, and it probably took me half an hour.

I'm just here for the chow.

#9703 Tweaked

Tweaked

Hungry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:09 PM

Kimchi fried rice, fried egg, avocado, sambal. My kitchen - a hipster outpost in Cleveland Park!
  • hillvalley likes this
Meat is Murder...Tasty Tasty Murder

#9704 lperry

lperry

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:17 AM

Mixed greens and crimini mushrooms, sautéed and topped with cocotte eggs

Whipped potatoes with leeks from the garden

Gérard Bertrand Syrah/Grenache, Languedoc, 2011 - amazing for under 10 bucks at Costco.  

#9705 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,268 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:14 AM

Leftover chile cornbread

Sous vide filet mignon

Broccoli and cauliflower casserole

#9706 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:33 AM

chicken tinga tostadas

comice pear

Vienna lager

#9707 hillvalley

hillvalley

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:39 PM

Last night was

bolognese with rigatoni

latkes with sour cream

water

sipping chocolate

Tonight was

franks (lamb, rosemary and feta sausage) and beans (cannellini beans stewed with a ton of garlic and fresh sage) 

simple arugula salad

IB whisky

roasted marshmallows

How do you know you're a well-adjusted foodie?-babka
Will schmooz for schmaltz-qwertyy

Just keep on smiling-Mrs. Brown

She never promised that life would be easy, but she did promise that if I hung with her the food would be good. -Joan Bauer

...the craving of a Jew for pork, in particular when it has been deep-fried, is a force greater than night or distance or a cold blast off the Gulf of Alaska.
-Michael Chabon

#9708 Tweaked

Tweaked

Hungry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:14 PM

Sauteed brussel sprouts, mushrooms, garlic finished off with Red Boat 40N fish sauce. With a side of kimchi. Suck it Brooklyn.
Meat is Murder...Tasty Tasty Murder

#9709 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:34 AM

salad with meyer lemon vinaigrette

spaghetti bolognese--using the leftover osso buco meat. (All of the marrow bones had been eaten.)

HD salted caramel gelato

Columbia Crest H3 cabernet

#9710 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,268 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:21 AM

Cobb salad

3-cheese whole wheat pizza with mushrooms and salami

The other day, I saw lower-sodium salami at Trader Joe's and thought it would be worth a try.  It worked fine for the pizza.

#9711 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:39 PM

a fabada-paella hybrid improvisation. slow-cooked sofrito of onion-garlic-tomato-roasted red pepper with cumin, pimenton and porcini powder nd a splash of red wine. gigante beans cooked in the pressure cooker with lots of aromatics. Spanish short grain rice. eco-friendly chorizo, steamed, browned, sliced. cauliflower, chopped into small pieces. boneless cooked chicken. all combined and moistened with sufficient bean cooking broth and chicken stock to cook the rice. baked in a moderate oven for 25 minutes or so. served with chopped Italian parsley.

comice pear and chocolate sea salt caramel

2011 La Montesa rioja

#9712 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,268 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:12 AM

Baguette with seasoned olive oil for dipping

Leftover turnip soup
Spaghetti and Broccoli Aglio Olio

#9713 porcupine

porcupine

ill-tempered sea bass

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,985 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:25 PM

Latkes again, with homemade applesauce  (Thanks for the tips, Zora - these were definitely the best so far.)

Also chicken broth with paper-thin slices of carrot and celery, dill and lots of black pepper, and leftover pasta scraps from making cappelletti

• zoramargolis likes this

Elizabeth Miller
fast cars, slow food

http://elizaberryblog.wordpress.com/

#9714 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,268 posts

Posted Today, 10:00 AM

Leftover Cobb salad

Creamy vegetable soup (kohlrabi, kale, corn, and delicata squash) with taleggio cheese crostini
Cheese and green chile tamales [Trader Joe’s]
Guacamole and tortilla chips

I don't buy many of TJ's prepared foods, but the impulse-purchase tamales were pretty good.  The soup came from an assortment of leftover or wilting (in the case of the kale) vegetables that needed to be used.  There was also some excess cilantro in there.  Boxed chicken broth constituted most of the liquid, but I did add a little half and half.  It was pretty good for a "kitchen sink" kind of soup.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dinner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users