Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Grilled bone-in ribeye sliced with a chimichurri sauce.

Sweet potato, onion and lemon cakes with Greek yogurt dollops and chives

Swiss chard sautéed with a soffrito made from the chopped stems, onion, garlic and red chili

Barolo from...can't recall as someone else brought it and didn't last long.

These sound intriguing. Were they made with cooked, mashed sweet potatoes, or were the sweet potatoes raw, like a latke?

Latke style with shredded raw sweet potatoes and egg as binder. Recipe from food52. Found it important to squeeze out excess moisture, particularly from the onion, to get the right batter consistency for coherency and crisping.

My run got rained out, so salad for dinner.  Inspired by a few interesting things I've had in restaurants lately along with what was languishing in the fridge, roasted sweet dumpling squash, Bosc pear, dried cranberries and toasted pecans in a Meyer lemon, linden honey, olive oil dressing, served over the last of the butter lettuce. 

salad with avocado, cuke, feta, lemon vinaigrette

chicken sofrito with preserved lemon, chick peas, moghrabieh,* celery root, and broccolini

this is a one pot meal with a long cooked sofrito of onion, garlic, tomato, roasted peppers, cumin and pimenton, browned chicken thighs, vegetables, pasta, broth and aromatics.

2007 Laurent B. CDR

*similar to Israeli couscous, but the individual pearls are larger.

• Like 1

This last weekend, I got stuff to make some more interesting recipes in some books I have, but last night was not a good example of that.  But I've been busy.  So we had chicken breast pounded thin with oven baked fries and greek salad (with homemade greek dressing).  

tonight:

charcoal-grilled rib-eye with salt-pepper-pimenton rub

charcoal-grilled bok choi with miso-ginger butter

baked russet potatoes with sour cream, butter, and chives

2003 Torbreck Woodcutters shiraz --found in the back of one of the cabinets where wine is stashed. Mercy! I was prepared for it to be cooked after so many years of less than ideal storage, but it was fabulous!

tonight:

charcoal-grilled rib-eye with salt-pepper-pimenton rub

charcoal-grilled bok choi with miso-ginger butter

baked russet potatoes with sour cream, butter, and chives

2003 Torbreck Woodcutters shiraz --found in the back of one of the cabinets where wine is stashed. Mercy! I was prepared for it to be cooked after so many years of less than ideal storage, but it was fabulous!

I swear, Zora...nearly every post you make on this dinner thread is inspiration. Hope it continues apace after you move!

Note to self: miso-ginger butter for firmer greens or asparagus...of course!

• Like 1

Whole wheat pita triangles and garlic hummus

Baked sockeye salmon over a salad of butter lettuce, baby arugula, and radish and cucumber slices, with champagne-caper vinaigrette

Beef stew (onions, potatoes, carrots, and barley)

I simmered a bison osso buco bone, which we had brought home from a meal at Beuchert's, in the stew.  It had only a little meat left on it but still had the marrow. The flavor of the stew was fantastic, and I suspect that had something to do with it.  By the end of the simmering time the bone was bare, and the marrow had migrated into the stew. :wub:

Note to self: miso-ginger butter for firmer greens or asparagus...of course!

I used white miso from South River, which has more than a hint of sweetness. I might have added a few drops of mirin otherwise. Mixed the miso with softened butter, ginger put through a giant garlic press that I have, and a few drops of roasted sesame oil and good soy sauce. I lightly steamed the bok choy, which had been cut lengthwise into quarters and smeared some of the miso butter on before I put it onto the grill with the steak. I turned them a couple of times and took them off when they'd gotten some nice grill marks. I added a bit more of the miso butter before serving. Really delicious, and I imagine it would be very nice with other grilled veg like asparagus, eggplant, green beans.

• Like 2

Calzones: Trader Joe's refrigerated pizza dough, TJ's organic marinara that I doctored, sauteed mushrooms, pepperoni, salami, mizzarella, smoked provolone. They weren't pretty, but tasted great.

Salad of mixed lettuces with my go-to "house" dressing, dijon/pomegranate viniagrette

Assorted olives

Apple soup with Italian truffle cheese and honey

Lamb cumin meatballs over barley and fresh garbanzo beans seasoned with dukkah

The soup recipe called for brie, but I had none of that and did have the right amount of truffle cheese left to make a half batch of soup.  Unfortunately, the cheese had started to get a little ammoniated, but the honey I added (not in the original recipe) masked that nicely.  I really liked this combination.

The dukkah had been prepared some months ago and was staling, but toasting it a bit in a dry pan brought it back to life enough to use.  I hate throwing food away :rolleyes: .

Thick-cut pork chops simply seasoned, seared, and finished in the oven with sprigs of rosemary, and served over sauteed spinach. Also a baked pasta dish with lots of mushrooms and onions cooked down with Marsala. Added plenty of reggiano and mozz. Turned out great. I nailed the temp of those chops.

Sorry I've been neglecting this thread lately. I cooked some Thai food this weekend.

Saturday:

15708201753_b5b122c71c_z.jpg

Jasmine and red rice with vegetables, Salmon salad (พล่าปลาà¹à¸‹à¸¥à¸¡à¸­à¸™ Phla pla salmon), chicken with chillies and green beans (ไà¸à¹ˆà¸œà¸±à¸”พริà¸à¹„ส้ถั่วà¸à¸±à¸à¸¢à¸²à¸§ gai pad prik sai tua fak yao), omelet (ไข่เจียว Khai jiew), panang curry with beef and pumpkin (à¹à¸žà¸™à¸‡à¹€à¸™à¸·à¹‰à¸­à¹„ส้ผัà¸à¸—อง panang nuea sai fak tong), Sly Fox Incubus.

Sunday: à¹à¸à¸‡à¸¡à¸±à¸ªà¸¡à¸±à¹ˆà¸™ Gaeng Massaman, Massaman Curry with lamb

16328126165_5948c00c8e_z.jpg

Curry paste of dry red chillies, coriander, cumin, cloves, nutmeg, mace, fennel, cardamom seeds, shallots, and garlic all roasted and then pounded with galangal, lemongrass, kaffir lime peel, cilantro root, shrimp paste, white pepper and salt. Lamb ("Osso Bucco" from Fields of Athenry) braised in coconut milk with lemongrass, roasted star anise, roasted bay leaves, roasted cinnamon stick, and roasted cardamom pods. Curry paste fried in reduced coconut cream, added to lamb with boiled potato cubes, under-ripe pineapple cubes, pearl onions, and peanuts. Seasoned with fish sauce, palm sugar and tamarind.

Served with Jasmine and red rice and

16302171836_6cab666fc1_z.jpg

omlette (ไข่เจียว khai jiew) apple salad (ยำà¹à¸­à¸šà¹€à¸›à¸´à¹‰à¸¥ yum apple), fried dried fish and vegetables.

Yesterday, more of the same.

• Like 1

Curry paste of dry red chillies, coriander, cumin, cloves, nutmeg, mace, fennel, cardamom seeds, shallots, and garlic all roasted and then pounded with galangal, lemongrass, kaffir lime peel, cilantro root, shrimp paste, white pepper and salt. Lamb ("Osso Bucco" from Fields of Athenry) braised in coconut milk with lemongrass, roasted star anise, roasted bay leaves, roasted cinnamon stick, and roasted cardamom pods. Curry paste fried in reduced coconut cream, added to lamb with boiled potato cubes, under-ripe pineapple cubes, pearl onions, and peanuts. Seasoned with fish sauce, palm sugar and tamarind.

Served with Jasmine and red rice and

Who has nice lemongrass right now?  I've only got a little curry paste in the freezer, so it's time to make another big batch and I can't find decent lemongrass.

Who has nice lemongrass right now?  I've only got a little curry paste in the freezer, so it's time to make another big batch and I can't find decent lemongrass.

I got some from Bangkok 54. Older, thicker stalks, maybe at little ratty looking on the outside, but nice and purple on the inside. They worked well and have some fragrance. Freshworld in Springfield usually has good lemongrass, but I haven't been there yet this month.

• Like 1

Whole wheat pita chips

Frisee, romaine, baby arugula, and butter lettuce salad with radishes, toasted walnuts, cucumber, bacon, avocado and hard-boiled eggs; champagne-caper vinaigrette
Leftover beef stew
Mashed butternut squash with maple syrup and toasted walnuts
Pan-roasted balsamic bacon brussels sprouts

- Basic caprese salad with good evoo, balsamic and sea salt to compensate for the off-season tomatoes

- A chicken cacciatore type dish I do occasionally by browning locally-raised chicken (bone-in thighs work well) and simmering slowly in a sauce made from San Marzanos, lots of garlic/onion/bell pepper (not green) capers, and fresh basil/oregano.

Remainder of the Barolo.

Last night: Risotto with vegetable broth (I should have pulled from the heat about 3 minutes earlier, oh well, live and learn), pan fried red snapper, carrots, zucchini and green beans.

I went all out Sunday night because my Mom was over and roasted turkey with mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans and homemade pear sauce (made earlier this year which I froze).  We still have leftover turkey so I am figuring out what I want to do with it.  We have our annual condo board meeting tonight so I will probably slice off the breast meat for sandwiches and then tomorrow night I can use the remnants for turkey noodle soup.

last night:

enchiladas rojas stuffed with poached chicken or jack/cheddar cheese (sauce was adobo that I'd made last week thinned out with poached chicken broth and pinto bean broth)

refried pinto beans

rajas de poblanos

saffron rice

pico de gallo

pineapple upside down cake

Hmmm. That sounds like a dinner made by a ridiculously talented home chef who once lived close to Mexico. SoCal maybe. :-)

• Like 1

Frisee, romaine, baby arugula, and butter lettuce salad with radishes, mushrooms, toasted walnuts, cucumber, bacon, avocado and hard-boiled eggs; miso-ginger vinaigrette

Leftover lamb meatballs, barley, garbanzo beans and dukkah

Cauliflower and goat cheese gratin (Bobby Flay recipe)

The gratin tasted great but the sauce turned very watery for some reason.  Stirring it up and being selective about spooning it out helped. The cauliflower was cooked in the sauce, so maybe that gave off liquid?  Usually if I make cauliflower in something like this, I pre-cook it some.

a cooking down the pantry and freezer meal:

brandade de morue with toasted baguette (frozen, pre-soaked salt cod from Pesca Deli)

soup with mushrooms, tarbais beans, cabbage, misc. aromatic veg, eco friendly ham hock, in smoked turkey broth

marinated, roasted red peppers

more pineapple upside down cake

2011 Kermit Lynch CDR

I thought everything was tasty, but unfortunately K. didn't care for either the brandade or the soup. :(  She ate bread and butter with apricot jam. Well, at least the jam was homemade...

She's headed back to Amman, Jordan tomorrow. I promised J that I would make croquetas de bacalao out of the leftover brandade.

Night before last we had leftover Thai food (massaman curry etc. see above) along with a pineapple salad (ยำสับปะรด) made with the bottom half of the not quite ripe pineapple used in the curry, thinly sliced and mixed with sliced shallots, mint leaves, sliced Thai chillies, halved cherry tomatoes, roasted coconut, roasted peanuts, julienned kaffir lime leaves, and only needed a little lime juice and a few splashes of fish sauce (I've been using Megachef for salads) as the pineapple was already nice and sweet and sour, but still firm and I didn't need to add palm sugar. I'll make this again.

Last night was rice and dhal. Moong dhal (boiled with turmeric and ginger) with a tadka of panch poran (mustard seeds, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, nigella seeds and cumin seeds) and jimbu in mustard oil with sliced onions, chopped garlic and ginger, chilli powder, salt, tomatoes, lime juice, palm sugar and Chinese broccoli. I made what my wife calls "fancy" rice, with whole cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, turmeric and salt.

An inch of ice pellets on the car (rain first, my &%#) changed our dinner plans, so an unplanned freezer-fridge-pantry meal of tofu (the sliceable kind) and sweet potato leaves in a Thai green curry, served over jasmine rice.  I've only got enough frozen curry paste for two more meals.  I find this situation oddly unnerving. :blink: