2008 La Fleur de Haut-Bages Libéral

#9802 darkstar965

darkstar965

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:39 PM

"Baked" Buffalo Wings* with homemade blue cheese dipping sauce but no celery sticks

Big salad with cherry tomatoes and other veggies still in the crisper

Goldwater Sauv Blanc (NZ)

* This was a not-so-successful dry run for next Sunday's Super Bowl.  If interested in the story behind this click here

#9803 lperry

lperry

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:54 AM

Homemade pho with tofu and tiny Shanghai cabbages, and four containers of the stock in the freezer for easy warming meals in the coming months.

#9804 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:46 AM

Friday was one of our around-the-world mashups:

Avocado-tomatillo salsa verde with homemade tortilla chips

Salad greens with warm goat cheese croutons and white balsamic-honey vinaigrette
Tomatillo and pork stew
Broccoli, tofu, red pepper, and mushroom stir-fry

Last night was the follow-up:
Salad of frisee, baby arugula, and radicchio with toasted walnuts, bacon, shaved carrots, and sliced radishes; white balsamic-honey vinaigrette
Avocado-tomatillo salsa verde with homemade tortilla chips
Leftover stir-fry
Wild and brown rice mix

#9805 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:04 AM

last night:

lettuce, avocado and spinach salad with meyer lemon vinaigrette

spaghetti with marinara and homemade meatballs from the freezer

2011 La Planeta

#9806 Fishinnards

Fishinnards

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:07 AM

There is a wonderful website from the Chiang Mai University Library that catalogs recipes from Northern Thailand in English with photos, Lanna Food. I decided to make Uk kai (aka Ook Gai) a Northern Thai chicken curry this weekend using the recipe from this website. It's related to Chin Hum (aka Jin Hoom, a recipe for which is in Andy Ricker's Pok Pok cookbook). It helps to know some Thai when using this website. For instance, the Thai work for Parsley (pak chee farang) is the same as the Thai word for culantro. Pak chee is the Thai word for cilantro, pak chee farang means foreign cilantro. Parsley is not used in Thai cooking, but culantro is very popular especially upcountry (North and Northeast), so when the recipe calls for parsley it means culantro. Incidentally, the Thai word for dill is pak chee Lao. I also substituted fermented black soybeans for shrimp paste (kapi), so as not to kill my wife (shellfish allergy). It's not too "inauthentic", because before fermented shrimp paste, a coastal product, was readily available in Northern Thailand, people used (and still use) a fermented soy product called tua nao which is somewhat similar, in that it is also fermented salty and funky. It's sold in CD sized discs with a hole in the center. I used to have some. The Shan people of Burma use it and I used to have some given to me by some Shan Burmese people. There is even a recipe to make your own in Naomi Duguid's Burma cookbook. Black beans are easier to find and work pretty well, though.

Anyway, this dish came out really well and was easy to do. Curry paste of dry red chillies, galanga, kaffir lime peel, fresh turmeric, lemongrass, toasted coriander seeds, garlic, shallots, and fermented soybeans,

16178303859_31c52ea587_z.jpg

Paste is fried in oil, chopped chicken (on the bone, Ayershire) is added along with some kaffir lime leaves, galanga slices and lemongrass, covered and simmered for about 45 minutes. Chopped green onion, cilantro and culantro sprinkled on top.

15744546333_6224fe48aa_z.jpg

Eaten with rice, vegetables, omelet, and dried fish on Saturday. Sunday I added a green mango salad and stir fried green beans with chopped chicken, chilles and garlic.

• nelumbo likes this

#9807 Tweaked

Tweaked

Hungry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:45 AM

Lots of pumpkins still available at the Saturday farmer's market I go to, so I bought one with no ideas what I was going to make. 

Kaddo Borawni - Afghan Pumpkin with Yogurt Sauce.  Really easy to make and it came out great.  I used Mark Bittman's recipe (minus the meat sauce) and added some ground coriander and a little tomato paste (which featured in some other Kaddo Borawni recipes I saw online). 

Rice pilaf with cashews and dates

Carrots with cumin, garlic, lemon juice

Salad of tomatoes, cucumbers, red pepper, feta, mint, pomegranate, lemon juice, olive oil (which will obviously taste better in the summer)

Flat bread smeared with olive oil and zaatar

• zoramargolis likes this
Meat is Murder...Tasty Tasty Murder

#9808 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:24 PM

Salad of frisee, baby arugula, and radicchio with toasted walnuts, bacon, shaved carrots, and sliced radishes; white balsamic-honey vinaigrette

Cheese toasts (baguette slices with Jasper Hill Oma, apricot preserves, and toasted sliced almonds)

Chicken soup with barley and kale

#9809 ktmoomau

ktmoomau

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:56 PM

Last night was turkey and dumplings.  The dumplings were a little dense, I think the side of the gf bisquick is wrong in the amount of milk that needs to be added.  Next time I will follow my heart and not that instruction.  

But I learned fast how to keep my head up 'cause I
Know I got this side of me that
Wants to grab the yoke from the pilot and just
Fly the whole mess into the sea. The Shins
www.rrbmdk.com
www.katelintaylor.com

#9810 darkstar965

darkstar965

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:23 PM

- Grilled skirt steak I'd marinated overnight
- Grilled and charred Chinese greens, Zora style :-)
- Buttered slices of Mark Furstenberg's levain

Had intended to grill everything outside since the storm was serendipitously passing us by tonight. But, just as we were about to open the grill cover, snow started falling....and then stopped as soon as we'd committed to the indoor, cast-iron grill.

The greens were a bok-choy type purchased at the DuPont Farmers Market; forgetting the exact name. "Zora style," of course, refers to the miso-butter approach Zora shared here last week. Lots of recipes online for that but I went with Zora's, incorporating her suggested bit of sesame oil, fresh ginger and soy sauce. Verdict? Pretty fabulous though I might not pre-steam next time or, at least, steam less. Flavors were great and, with the steak, an easy but well-received dinner we'll do again.

Thanks Zora!
  • zoramargolis likes this

#9811 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:29 AM

Leftover chicken soup with barley and kale

Chicken tacos on flour tortillas with fennel - cabbage - carrot slaw and avocado-tomatillo salsa
Black beans

I just kind of winged it on the slaw and it came out really well:  white balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, glug of buttermilk, serving teaspoonful of prepared mayo, sprinkling of celery seeds, pinch of coarse sea salt, few grinds of black pepper.  It's the type of slaw I usually make for fish tacos, but it was good with chicken too.

#9812 lperry

lperry

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:53 AM

Christmas black bean chili tamales, pulled from the freezer and steamed to happiness.

Braised mustard greens.  OK, it was Shanghai cabbage, but if you do the olive oil chile flake thing, it all works out.

#9813 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:04 AM

sesame noodles with ground pork, bok choy, celery, scallions and cilantro

Fat Tire and Saranac Long John lager

#9814 bettyjoan

bettyjoan

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:26 PM

Got an unexpected and free (long story) delivery from Plated, so the last two nights' dinners have been on them -

Last night - roasted spaghetti squash with kale, cheese sauce, and pine nuts

Sunday night - beef pho

I've used Plated before, though not with any regularity (the service is pricey, and I actually like grocery shopping) - I generally find the meals to be tasty, but the portions (especially of the squash dish) seemed small.  Thanks to a gift from a friend, I am trying Blue Apron next week to compare.  Nice to have options when things get hectic.

Betty Thurber Rhoades
http://hungrytriathlete.wordpress.com/

#9815 ktmoomau

ktmoomau

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:38 PM

Last night I made szechuan beef and jasmine rice.  

www.rrbmdk.com
www.katelintaylor.com

#9816 ktmoomau

ktmoomau

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:01 PM

Last night I made bone in pork chops, baked potatoes with the filling mixed with parmasean, peas and butter, slaw similar to the kind they have at Zoe's Kitchen which I really like.  I think they use napa cabbage, I didn't have napa, but it still turned out tasty.  

www.rrbmdk.com
www.katelintaylor.com

#9817 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:15 PM

Tacos for dinner:  pork, black beans, cilantro, and chipotle; chicken, cilantro, and scallions; corn tortillas; sour cream; fennel-cabbage-carrot slaw

#9818 lperry

lperry

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:26 PM

Pho last night, penne caponata tonight with a romaine, apple, Manchego salad in a tarragon, Dijon, honey vinaigrette. 

#9819 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,891 posts

Posted Today, 01:50 AM

cassou-lite. which is to say that it didn't rise to the level of a true cassoulet, but had many of its elements: tarbais beans; garlicy sausage; pork belly in the form of bacon; I have some duck confit in the freezer but it felt like too much trouble to thaw it, so added duck broth for a ducky component. Plus a bunch of finely chopped aromatic veg and a bundle of herbs. I started it too late to have it spend many hours in the oven, and since the beans wouldn't have time to partially break down and make it creamy, I added a peeled and diced russet potato to contribute its starch. We started with a bibb lettuce salad and had some baguette slices for sopping.

And drank a 2007 Brunel cotes du Rhone cuvee Sabine from the back of the closet that was delicious--still had plenty of fruit but with a hint of leather that I love.

• darkstar965 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dinner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users