9924 replies to this topic

#9901 ktmoomau

ktmoomau

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:36 PM

Tried to use my nasty maple bacon:  Absolutely beautiful Carolina Gold rice with a sufficient amount butter, parmesan, baked apples, and a saute of spinach, leek and maple bacon.  It would have been better with plain bacon, but it was ok.  The rice with parmesan by itself was heaven.  Love that rice.

But I learned fast how to keep my head up 'cause I
Know I got this side of me that
Wants to grab the yoke from the pilot and just
Fly the whole mess into the sea. The Shins
www.rrbmdk.com
www.katelintaylor.com

#9902 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,400 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:02 AM

Monday night:

Leftover cabbage minestrone with rice

Leftover poached chicken plus steamed broccoli and rainbow quinoa, dressed with sesame oil and soy sauce

Last night:
Whole wheat no-knead bread and butter
Salad of red leaf lettuce, baby arugula, radishes, cucumber, hard-boiled egg and bacon; white balsamic vinaigrette
Mini cheese raviolis in homemade chicken broth, topped with grated Parmesan and chopped Italian parsley
Leftover poached chicken 
Leftover creamed spinach

#9903 darkstar965

darkstar965

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:13 AM

I had a large chunk of Virginia ham I'd gotten from Pam the Butcher at holiday time and frozen. So, last night for dinner:

- baked ham with a glaze fashioned from Sarabeth's Blood-Orange Marmalade, Dijon, Allspice and s&p
- big baked sweet potatoes
- fresh veggie salad with a sherry vinaigrette

#9904 Tweaked

Tweaked

Hungry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:58 PM

Kimchi fried rice with tofu, broccoli, avocado, fried egg, sambal.

Meat is Murder...Tasty Tasty Murder

#9905 ktmoomau

ktmoomau

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:18 PM

Last night was bucatini with red sauce, sausage, leeks and broccoli. Garlic Bread and Mountfair Woolomoloo.

www.rrbmdk.com
www.katelintaylor.com

#9906 bettyjoan

bettyjoan

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:45 PM

Last night was a quick one-pot chicken and rice with onions, peppers, cayenne, soy sauce, and basil.  Not bad, but the rice must have been on the shelf for a while, since it took FOREVER to cook.

The night before was supposedly a one-pot Spanish chicken and potatoes.  Unfortunately, it fell pretty short - the texture of the sauce (which had tomatoes, onions, garlic, and eggplant) was off (probably due to my crummy blender), the potatoes cooked unevenly, and the flavors just seemed "meh."  The chicken was nice and tender, though, since it was a braise - what I think I'll do with the leftovers is separate the sauce from the chicken, give the chicken a quick browning, and then heat up the sauce with some butter and other spices - then I'll hit it with my immersion blender to try to smooth it out.

#9907 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,400 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:13 PM

Baked lemon pepper cod with dill over sautéed shallots, baby arugula and radicchio with bacon

Macaroni and cheese

#9908 Tweaked

Tweaked

Hungry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:26 PM

Tonight was leftover one pot wonder... Leftover mushrooms, swiss chard and tomato sauce thrown together in a pot. Throw in some leftover mushroom ravioli. Hit it with some pecorino and a splash of olive oil.

Served with a salad of watercress and avocado and a thick slice of rosemary bread with good butter.

Dinner in 10 minutes!
Meat is Murder...Tasty Tasty Murder

#9909 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,940 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:12 PM

butter lettuce salad with cuke, sungold tomatoes, avocado
meatball sub sandwiches: meatballs were made with a mix of eco-friendly ground beef and bulk Italian sausage. They were oven roasted and then simmered in homemade marinara sauce. Topped with melted jack and parmesan. The bread was Breadfurst "ciabatta baguette."
vanilla ice cream with dulce de leche

2011 Viñademoya Bierzo

#9910 darkstar965

darkstar965

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:50 PM

Rough-sliced the leftover baked ham and made Cuban-inspired grilled sandwiches with some emmentaler, lengthwise sliced pickle and a good Dijon mustard all on thinly-sliced slices of levain from BreadFurst.

Tossed greens with a lemon anchovy vinaigrette.
  • cucas87 likes this

#9911 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,400 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:18 AM

Big salad of red and green leaf lettuce, radishes, cucumber, walnuts, and clementine sections; white balsamic vinaigrette

Meatloaf topped with bacon and basted with tomato juice (just like Mom used to make)

English peas, butter, and pepper

I saw the peas at Whole Foods.  They were organic from Mexico.  I try to avoid buying produce like this that will be available (more) locally when the season gets here, but I want winter to be over :angry: so I bought fresh peas.  (I also bought some frozen ones, as I discovered I had none when I wanted to add them to my mac and cheese...)

• cucas87 likes this

#9912 ktmoomau

ktmoomau

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:09 PM

Baked potatoes done the slicey slicey way, served with poached chicken and microwaved cheesy vegetables.  This is part of my freezer and fridge cull.  

www.rrbmdk.com
www.katelintaylor.com

#9913 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,400 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:26 AM

Beef barley vegetable soup

Chicken Parmesan

Brown rice spaghetti with marinara sauce

#9914 darkstar965

darkstar965

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:39 PM

Beef barley vegetable soup
Chicken Parmesan
Brown rice spaghetti with marinara sauce

The Post had a great spread on all things parmesan a few weeks ago. Any chance that was part of the inspiration? It's high on our list for a weekend dinner before it gets too warm out.

#9915 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,400 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:15 PM

The Post had a great spread on all things parmesan a few weeks ago. Any chance that was part of the inspiration? It's high on our list for a weekend dinner before it gets too warm out.

No, this is from a quick and easy recipe I saw on a blog.  It originally came from the cookbook Sheet Pan Suppers by Molly Gilbert.  I liked it so much the first time I made it that I bought the cookbook.  Looking through the cookbook, though, the recipes all seem to follow the same formula (e.g., lots of panko and herbs de provence in the recipes). Maybe I shouldn't be surprised by that.  I'm undecided on whether it really was a "must-purchase," but it has a lot of fairly easy one pan recipes.

I made a pork, onion, squash, and apples recipe from the book on Saturday that I adjusted a little (used pork loin instead of tenderloin) and it still came out pretty well. I'm making an eggplant and chickpeas recipe from it tonight.

Back to the Chicken Parm.  It's just breaded skinless boneless chicken breasts cooked in a hot oven until almost done, then topped with marinara sauce (I use less than she says), provolone and Parmesan and cooked through.  I have a slow-heating oven, and it takes longer for my oven to preheat to 400F than it does to cook the chicken.  Regardless of my final decision about the book, this recipe is a keeper.  

• darkstar965 likes this

#9916 nelumbo

nelumbo

grouper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:47 PM

Was running late and did not make it to the grocery this morning on the way to work. Therefore dinner was Cupboard Curry - dried fungus and black mushrooms, a lingering shallot, cans of unpeeled oyster mushroom, baby corn, water chestnut, and coconut milk, and some stuff I dug out of the produce bin including whole bamboo shoots, scallions, chinese sausage, and a big vat of Maesri red curry paste. Oh, and garlic. Finally broke open the blue label Megachef fish sauce, it gets a thumbs up.

The big rice bag is re-infested with confused flour beetles, ugh. I had almost eradicated them but they are back.

#9917 darkstar965

darkstar965

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:30 PM

Baked ziti with meatballs made from dark-meat ground turkey
Mixed cold veggies dressed with an assertive lemon-Reggiano vinaigrette

2011 Langhe (Reverdito) Nebbiolo

#9918 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,400 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:34 PM

Lamb tacos with radicchio, jalapeno, and tzatziki sauce

Sheet pan roasted crisp-topped eggplant with chickpeas
Brown and wild rice mix

#9919 bettyjoan

bettyjoan

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:23 PM

Honey mustard chicken and potatoes with rosemary

Steamed broccoli and cauliflower

#9920 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,400 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:58 AM

Lamb curry over cauliflower rice

This was the last of a roast leg of lamb I made late last week.  The curry sauce made a good gravy over the cauliflower "rice." 

#9921 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,940 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:35 PM

posole verde made with an eco-friendly turkey thigh instead of pork shoulder. I cooked the posole in my pressure cooker for 45 minutes before adding canned hominy, but the turkey was still tough, so I had to add more time under pressure, twice. Surprising how long the turkey took to get tender enough to pull off the bone. Must have been a tough old bird. Ultimately very tasty, though. I made it with homemade smoked turkey broth.
pico de gallo
tortillas and butter
Talenti vanilla bean gelato with berry coulis

Fat Tire

#9922 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,940 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:37 PM

Thursday dinner:
homemade cream of mushroom soup, made with oyster, crimini and porcini
grilled 4 cheese*, ham, and shallot sandwiches on rye-pump swirl**

*Idiazabal, Comte, sharp cheddar, reggiano
**I've been making grilled cheese sandwiches using Gabrielle Hamilton's method: spreading the outside of the bread with mayonnaise before putting into an ungreased fry pan.

#9923 ktmoomau

ktmoomau

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:42 PM

Last night we had crispy tacos made with thawed fiesta chicken, onion, jalapeno, jalapeno cheese and lettuce.

Tonight we had steak with a large salad with celery, carrots, radish, shallot, tomatoes, homemade clementine vinaigrette, blue cheese and a hard boiled egg.  Homemade white no knead bread.  Homemade chocolate chip brownies.  

www.rrbmdk.com
www.katelintaylor.com

#9924 darkstar965

darkstar965

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:11 PM

Defrosted a batch of some Joan Nathan stuffed cabbage I made a few weeks ago.
Made a quick cacio e pepe.

Both sort-of-Euro-Mediterranean things? Maybe not really so coherent but, with nearly 10" of snow outside, these worked along with the mediator: an inexpensive bottle of a Nebbiolo, though maybe that's also a contradiction in terms.

Green jasmine tea and some toffee and chocolates from one of our favorite shops in NY.

#9925 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,940 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:31 PM

Wednesday night:
shakshuka with feta, smoked eggplant and merguez meatballs instead of poached eggs
saffron basmati rice

sugared strawberries

2011 Viñademoya Bierzo

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dinner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users