The Modern, Chef Gabriel Kreuther in the Museum of Modern Art, Midtown West

Lunch yesterday at the Modern was just the antidote I needed following my less than happy excursion to the Grill Room last week.

Service was spot on.  And at the end, when I went to the restroom after I had finished eating but before I had paid the check, the staff cleared my water glass.  When I returned to the table, I hadn't been seated for more than 30 seconds when a staff member was by my side to apologize and replace the water.  A manager circulated throughout the room and stopped and chatted at every table.

I started with a Sidecar.  I had the foie gras sautéed with rhubarb followed by the beef with morels and sweetbreads.  The beef might have used a bit more salt but otherwise the food was pretty darn close to perfect.

I admit that some of my favorite meals over the years have been at Danny Meyer places.  Eleven Madison Park, before the sale, on election night 2008 may be the best meal I've ever had.  Union Square Cafe is probably Mr. BLB's favorite place in NYC.  Blue Smoke is where we took BL-2nd grader for his first grown up meal in NYC before ascending the Empire State Building.  The food is always excellent.  The service is always spot on.    I wish there were more restaurateurs like him.

• Like 1