Zagat Zawrong

darkstar965

You know how every now and then, Don puts up a post railing against some other review or food content site that's either selling out, manipulating readers or just incompetent and wrong?  And, how almost always, the content of those posts is very much on point with respect to the generally lower quality of content and advice that readers and members can access at those other sites?

This piece from the content/marketing/busienss development mavens at Zagat, still trying to catch up to the food media and bigger review sites, is a perfect example of the phenomenon.  If you ever wondered whether it's "DuPont" or "Dupont" and whether Chevy Chase Circle and Friendship Heights are the same or different places, this is for you. The comments are the best part; a few are definite laughers.  And, one point in the article missed by all the commenters:  rosa mexicana is highlighted as a "hot spot"

Long live and prosper, donrockwell.com

For obvious reasons, I heart the comments to this genuinely pathetic article. "Mosiac District". Chevy Chase Circle on Wisconsin Avenue. Please.

Olga Boikess is Zagat's restaurant representative in DC - given that, I'm surprised these mistakes were made. Kapnos is also a block north of V Street on W.

I enjoy Olga's blog and have enjoyed meeting her in person.  I truly hope whatever she is receiving from Zagat is worth it because every new listicle that comes out with her name attached to it seems to get a thorough trashing.

As for Zagat, their decision to go in the list of top 10s makes no sense to me.  Content must really be king, no matter what the cost.

For obvious reasons, I heart the comments to this genuinely pathetic article. "Mosiac District". Chevy Chase Circle on Wisconsin Avenue. Please.

And, if you go north from Logan Circle, you won't run into 14th Street. It's a different story if you start at Thomas Circle.

I'll put this here instead of the Zagat thread from years ago that I found on the search engine.  Sorry, it's a few days later than the post at the link.

Two months of a NYT subscription, plus apps, doesn't wow me.  Also, I have never heard of that brand of tablet.  To pile on the mean, I don't think Zagat has the influence they used to have.  They've been overtaken by sites like Yelp (alas) and TripAdvisor, and it's also a sign that this establishment is doing a good job.  While I commend them for trying to get a sense of the local vibe, it's too little, too late.

I'll add that the "Do all of the chefs know you on a-first name basis?" may be hyperbole, but usually that's a sign that everyone knows you and they'll treat you really well.