Whole Foods, an Austin-Based Store with Over 400 Locations in the U.S. and U.K. - Being Purchased by Amazon for $13.7 Billion

Al Dente

The Tenleytown WF is an utter wreck. It is probably the closest WF to me (River Road and Georgetown are close too), but I can't bring myself to go there lately. It is literally a warehouse with construction mixed in. Why are they keeping it open during renovations??

Pray tell, how does one misbag?

They do ring up items incorrectly, as has been mentioned before of the P St store.

Misbagging is fgorgetting to give you a bag, or putting something from one shoppers purchase in another shoppers bag. That happens whent hey start ringing one customer while waiting for the other to leave the area or to get credit card approval etc.

RInging up items incorrectly has two sources. If an item has an unreadable bar code, then the cashier enters the UPC. If they key that in wrong, it can result in a mis ring (ie another item is added to you bil other than what you bought. But that is rare. UPC's are designed with check digits to protect againstt hat happening. The typical "misring" is when an item scans for a price other than what the shelf tag ot the sign on the display says. The problem here is with the signmaker or the scan department that puts up the tags. These files are downloaded electronically and there is nothing that the cashier does that affects the process. Yet they will take the heat if there is a problem. What usually happens is that the item's tag is not changed when the price changes are down loaded or it is out of stock when the download occurs and then when it comes in the tag is not replaced with the new one.

The Tenleytown WF is an utter wreck. It is probably the closest WF to me (River Road and Georgetown are close too), but I can't bring myself to go there lately. It is literally a warehouse with construction mixed in. Why are they keeping it open during renovations??

The remodel when I last looked at it (about 14 months ago and a couple of revisions to the plan before the curtrent one) probably had 8 or 9 week critical paths in it. That is there were projects that when taken in order (demo the old space, prep the new space and then build out the new space) couldn't be accomplished in less than that time. So in order to close the store to do the reno, it would have been a 2 month or 3 month closure. That represents $4mil to $6mil of lost sales, the cost of the store team members who would need to be paid during that time, the disruption to the customers who would have to find another place to shop (not a huge problem if you have a car, bad if you are on metro or foot).

The real difficulty is that the team members work in a living hell for the length of the reno and usually there is not enough money budgeted in the reno to cover keeping staffing up to required levels to mitigate the situation. When I was at WF, the Bethesda reno was always held up as an example. Bu that store doubled in size. It was not hard to maintain sales when every few days, new square footage opened up to allow for MORE customer choice. Holding a store like Tenley where the benefits won't really hit the customers (other than the new checkouts) till close to the end of the process is a burden on the workers.

The typical "misring" is when an item scans for a price other than what the shelf tag ot the sign on the display says. The problem here is with the signmaker or the scan department that puts up the tags. These files are downloaded electronically and there is nothing that the cashier does that affects the process. Yet they will take the heat if there is a problem. What usually happens is that the item's tag is not changed when the price changes are down loaded or it is out of stock when the download occurs and then when it comes in the tag is not replaced with the new one.

what i have never been able to understand is why the shelf tag isn't changed after the discrepancy is identified. the last time i was able to actually speak with the store manager about one of these problems -- involving pasta -- she assured me that it would be rectified quickly (after i told her that had never been my experience). it wasn't. it stayed that way for weeks and weeks. what made this even more puzzling is that there were two tags on the shelf, one the correct higher price and one the lower price. the identical bag of pasta was on two different shelves, the higher price on the lowest shelf where the stock eventually ran out and the incorrect lower price above where the stock was replenished. eventually, the price went up on the higher tag and the lower-priced tag stayed the same, so the price difference increased from maybe $1 to $1.50. prices on coffee on sale were wrong all the time last summer, this summer it seems to be the wine.

i don't bother anymore getting into this issue with the cashiers because i know they have nothing to do with it. however, i am rarely able to talk to a store manager these days, and their lieutenants basically act like i'm a nut case. the last time i discussed this, i provided an analogy to the authority figure: if i came in here every week and shoplifted a 50-cent item, and you caught me, would you accept my apologies, because you are asking me to accept your apologies for the same item ringing up higher than the shelf price every week. (i have been told that there is a mysterious person who comes into the store periodically to reconcile differences, but i have never been able to quite figure out how this is relevant.) anyway, when i used the shoplifting analogy last time, something clicked in the person i was speaking to. apparently, shoplifting was a dirty word, and she tried to get rid of me without even refunding the price difference. a security guard was circling in the vicinity for the roughly five minutes of our conversation. i was not screaming. i'm sure everybody in the store -- and elsewhere -- is tired of hearing about this, but i just can't let it go. the store's view, judging from explanations that have been provided a couple of times, is that whenever this happens, there is no harm being done because the price at the cash register is actually the price that the shopper should be paying. if you catch them, then you are getting a discount. sorry, but i just can't see it that way, even more so on sale items. (and the produce section at p street is a wreck most of the time, and it's not because of renovation.)

the store's view, judging from explanations that have been provided a couple of times, is that whenever this happens, there is no harm being done because the price at the cash register is actually the price that the shopper should be paying. if you catch them, then you are getting a discount. sorry, but i just can't see it that way, even more so on sale items. (and the produce section at p street is a wreck most of the time, and it's not because of renovation.)
I'm with you on this, giant shrimp! The fact that the price that scans is the one that I "should be paying" doesn't make a difference to me--it's not the price that I looked at and assessed when I decided whether I would purchase the item. It's not the price at which they advertised the item.

I'm with you on this, giant shrimp! The fact that the price that scans is the one that I "should be paying" doesn't make a difference to me--it's not the price that I looked at and assessed when I decided whether I would purchase the item. It's not the price at which they advertised the item.

I was in the P Street store this morning, and it seemed as if most of the produce items I looked at and considered buying had no price marked on or above the shelf. In one case, I asked a stock clerk in the produce section what the price of an item was, and it took her more than five minutes to go find the price and get back to me with the information. After that, it was "fuggedaboudit"...

While I like the WF on Rockville for the most part, and I've never had any problem with them giving me the lower price when the price on the shelf and the scan did not agree, when it comes to customer service, there is nothing like Giant. Whenever the scan gives you the wrong price, as has happened quite a few times over the years to me, if you point it out, you get one of the item free. I actually had them give me a free set of the new (expensive as hell at over 10 dollars) razor blades because the scan said it was 20 cents more than the price on the shelf. They have never given me any grief, just said "well that one is free" with a smile and keep on going.

While I like the WF on Rockville for the most part, and I've never had any problem with them giving me the lower price when the price on the shelf and the scan did not agree...
Generally, I haven't had a problem getting them to give the lower price either. That's not really my complaint. My complaint is that in general, there shouldn't be many discrepancies between scan and shelf price. Secondly, when there are, you would think somebody there would care to correct the problem. Nobody seems very concerned about that. So, in the end, you have false advertising--the price on the shelf isn't what you'll be charged by the cashier. Maybe it will only be a 20cent difference like what you had at the Giant. Maybe it will be a lot more. Who knows?

Generally, I haven't had a problem getting them to give the lower price either. That's not really my complaint. My complaint is that in general, there shouldn't be many discrepancies between scan and shelf price. Secondly, when there are, you would think somebody there would care to correct the problem. Nobody seems very concerned about that. So, in the end, you have false advertising--the price on the shelf isn't what you'll be charged by the cashier. Maybe it will only be a 20cent difference like what you had at the Giant. Maybe it will be a lot more. Who knows?

i have never had a problem getting the lower price, either. my last discussion with the management over price involved a $7 difference on a bottle of wine, and neither of the two people i talked to thought about refunding the difference, but were happy to do so when i asked for it. a few times i have been able to get the item for free. that's one policy that would give them an incentive for fixing this problem. but these days the store seems adamantly set against this, probably because they would start losing a bundle of money if they had to give away the item every time it range up incorrectly.

zora's experience is fairly typical, but there are many other approaches to pricing in this store that make me wonder. one rule i have found: if there is an item without a price and the similar items around it do have prices, it will probably cost significantly more than they do.

If they actually said that I'd probably flip. The price that I "should be paying" is the price that is advertised and that the item is priced for on the shelf. If the manager tells you different, he has no idea how to run a store. Of course, that's fairly evident by the fact that the prices are consistently wrong, on the same items, for extended periods of time. I'm fine with prices being wrong every now and then, I understand how it happens. But if a price is wrong and the manager is told about it and -still- doesn't do anything about it, then I have no idea why they wouldn't understand that you get upset with them when you pointed that out to them.

If they actually said that I'd probably flip. The price that I "should be paying" is the price that is advertised and that the item is priced for on the shelf. If the manager tells you different, he has no idea how to run a store. Of course, that's fairly evident by the fact that the prices are consistently wrong, on the same items, for extended periods of time. I'm fine with prices being wrong every now and then, I understand how it happens. But if a price is wrong and the manager is told about it and -still- doesn't do anything about it, then I have no idea why they wouldn't understand that you get upset with them when you pointed that out to them.

that the price ringing up at the cash register is the actual price, despite what may be on the shelf, is not the first thing anyone will say to you at whole foods. they are smarter than that. however, i have discussed this matter ad nauseum with a long cast of characters, and this was the viewpoint of at least two of them. frankly, i have solved this recurring problem to some extent by frequenting the store less often. at least some of their suspect pricing impresses me as deliberate and on the shady side, an interpretation they invite whether they are innocent or not. unfortunately, i haven't been able to completely wean myself from the store, since it is on the direct route home and there are always a few things i need that come up during the week.

also, they carry many good things. (after reading the article on the carcinogenic byproduct found in potato chips in the post food section yesterday, i have been considering whether a bag of route 11 is worth dying for, and have been leaning in the affirdmative. these are there, although the regular chips get snapped up quickly. they also carry good salt, sugar, olive oil, chocolate, olives, etc., etc.)

In most jurisdictions, the lowest shelf tag priced is the price that the store must legally sell the rpoduct for. I recall in LA it was a $50 fine per item per day if there was a scan inaccuracy and our stores would get tested by the Department of consumer Affairs. FInes in the hundres and thousands of dollars were not unusual. If a store showed patterns of inaccuracy a huge audit would occur and then fines could go into the tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars. The largest fine I recall for a WFM was probably $2,000, but I recall hearing of a Ralph's or Safeway or someother major with a huge fine near or over 6 figures. Yikes!

Having said that, I have mercifully forgotten what the statutes were in DC. WHile I was at the Tenley store, we were audited more often by weights and measures (and passed all the audits with flying colors except for the time our scale repair vendor neglected to tell us we needed to have the scalre re certified after a repair). I don't ever recall a shelf tag audit by DC. But the accuracy of a stores shelf tags, like so much else at WFM, depends ont he stores SSI, or store systems integrator. They used to be called scan coordinators and their job was to focus on scanning the store. Now they are junior IS people and the scanning issues a big concern. But this is the person who is responsible for making sure the tags are correct. The good ones have the various team leaders and members so well trained that when ever an item comes into stock or is added to the shelf, the team member grabs a gun and scan checks the tag. At Tenley, the SSI was a tiny girl, about 4'10 and maybe 100# dripping wet whose most terrifying expression of anger was a giggle. But there was not a team leader who didn't live in fear of her! And the scan tags were much more accurate than at some other stores. But it amazes me that this important function can vary so much from store to store and remains a problem.

I was in the P Street store this morning, and it seemed as if most of the produce items I looked at and considered buying had no price marked on or above the shelf. In one case, I asked a stock clerk in the produce section what the price of an item was, and it took her more than five minutes to go find the price and get back to me with the information. After that, it was "fuggedaboudit"...
This has always been a big problem at the Tenleytown store as well, since way back when it first opened. I'd estimate that over the years, typically about 25 % of produce items have had no price available to the shopper (or what I always call "surprise price"). It's exasperating. And asking one of the produce clerks for the price is always a good way to become even more exasperated. With the in-progress renovation at the Tenleytown store, the percentage of "surprise price" items has gone much higher, of course.

Can we all agree that the produce prices at Whole Foods are criminal? We needed cucumbers for something so I picked up three this morning. $4.47. For three ordinary smallish cucumbers, not hothouse.

I think I would rather eat turnips from the market for the next 6 months than shop there. :)

Yes, generally. But the selection and quality are generally so much better than Safeway I end up buying produce there anyway. Of course, the farmers' markets are generally much MUCH better in the quality department, but may charge you $12 a pound for green beans. Oh, and the produce section at the new Trader Joe's is pretty pathetic...it's almost like, why bother having a produce section if that's what it's going to be?

But speaking of Whole Foods, I happened to be driving along River Road in Bethesda this morning and thought "hey! I think I'll stop at this Whole Foods for the NY Times and a few grocery items!" and I must say, what a nice store compared with the hell-hole in Tenleytown (which was rather a hell-hole even before the never-ending remodeling began) and that dreadful store on P St. The problem I have with the P St. store is that it seems like half the space is given over to ready-made food, which I have no use for, leaving little room for the things I'm interested in. And the layout of the overpriced produce section is, well, counter-intuitive at the least.

I like the produce selection at the P Street Whole Foods. It's large and varied. Agree that the new Trader Joe's is lacking. Most of the produce is packaged, not that there's anything wrong with that. It's still better than the nasty Watergate Safeway.

I like the produce selection at the P Street Whole Foods. It's large and varied. Agree that the new Trader Joe's is lacking. Most of the produce is packaged, not that there's anything wrong with that. It's still better than the nasty Watergate Safeway.

i buy produce at p street whole foods, and unlike most grocery stores around here these days, i can find things that are good. however, typically at least half of what is green and leafy is starting to wilt, wiltier or in the early stages of rot. it is a good place to find last minute avocadoes, often they are ripe, and earlier this summer when i unexpectedly found myself short of good tomatoes, i was able to cherry pick a few that actually were good from the many heirloom tomatoes that were not, at a price that wasn't extravagantly higher than the lofty prices that they have been selling for at the farmers market.

also, they have been moving in a few bottles of wine from virginia, and the first one i tried last night, a viognier from around front royal, was decent.

i have not run into any pricing discrepancies at the register recently. however, the number of items in the store for which the price is only provided on request seems to be expanding, encompassing the olives, understandably, since you worry about how much pits and brine weigh when you are buying them for upwards of $8 a pound.

there are tempting libations in the wine cabinet at whole foods on p street, and not all of the bottles are so expensive that they deserve to be under lock and key. under a new store policy you should make this your last stop because the clerk who opens the cabinet is required to accompany you to the register, where he hands the precious bottle to the cashier. it's not that you are untrustworthy, but something must have happened, he says, resting his mop by the broken glass shattered by a clumsy customer. heh, i tell him, i could shoplift a bottle of olive oil from aisle one that costs more than this. the way prices have been running, it won't be long before everyone who walks through the door gets an escort, from the moment they pick up their cart. wow, a special occasion? the cashier asks, as she completes the relay. she is suddenly deliriously happy. my purchase has put her in a celebratory mood. no, i tell her, it's nothing special, i could steal this much in cheese or dietary supplements or blue mushrooms. she rings me up.

at home i discover that my $39.99 bottle of pierre peters blanc de blanc champagne has rung up $10 higher than marked on the shelf. i am finally starting to realize that this is just an honest mistake, the kind that whole foods makes all the time. days later, as i am waiting for the wine department to validate my small claim of $10 plus tax at the customer service corner, the cashier remarks that he's getting tired of having to handle all the refunds, especially the ones from the produce department. in the meantime, he checks out a customer with just a few items. just don't charge me double, the customer laughs. just don't charge me double.

at home i discover that my $39.99 bottle of pierre peters blanc de blanc champagne has rung up $10 higher than marked on the shelf. i am finally starting to realize that this is just an honest mistake, the kind that whole foods makes all the time. days later, as i am waiting for the wine department to validate my small claim of $10 plus cash at the customer service corner, the cashier remarks that he's getting tired of having to handle all the refunds, especially the ones from the produce department. in the meantime, he checks out a customer with just a few items. just don't charge me double, the customer laughs. just don't charge me double.
It just gets better and better. :)

Do any of the local network affiliates still have the old "consumer watchdog" on their newscasts?

Or, at least we could get one of the lurking Posties to stop by the P st. store. (Hi, Tom! Drop a dime for us, will ya?)

I hit the new and improved Wholly Fuel in Tenleytown a few days ago. While the place looks great, I can't say I love the improvements. Everything feels cramped and too small, except for the prepared foods area in the back which is huge. The aisles are narrower than ever :P and the whole place felt dark.

Has anyone tried the new food bars?

I hit the new and improved Wholly Fuel in Tenleytown a few days ago. While the place looks great, I can't say I love the improvements. Everything feels cramped and too small, except for the prepared foods area in the back which is huge. The aisles are narrower than ever :P and the whole place felt dark.

Has anyone tried the new food bars?

No, but I have been wondering the same about the food bars. And the pizza. Some of the new salad bar options look really good.

I hit the new and improved Wholly Fuel in Tenleytown a few days ago. While the place looks great, I can't say I love the improvements. Everything feels cramped and too small...

I used to shop there almost every week. One of the reasons I started going to P St & Georgetown instead is that I find the new space oppressive at TT, especially the narrow aisles in between mobile metal shelving. I haven't been for months, and it sounds as if more may have changed for the better. However, the scattered locations of produce make little sense and the loving attention given to chocolates seems to be a poor use of newly acquired space. The transformation of the check-out area is welcome and it seems smart to showcase individual departments on the peripheries of the store.

It seems they greatly expanded the prepared food area while making everything else worse. I hate it. The produce section(s) is/are nothing less than infuriating. I've largely switched to the Glover Park store, although it seems even worse than the Tenleytown one when it comes to items displayed with no price, and not just in produce. Before the remodeling, I would have ranked the 3 DC stores 1-Tenleytown, 2-Glover Park, and 3-P St. Now it's 1-Glover Park, 2-P St., 3-Tenleytown.

Progress in the 'hood. Overnight the forever-renovating Whole Foods Tenleytown installed and stocked a large, new, full-service (!) meat counter. Looked great this morning, with a wide selection of unpackaged cuts from myriad beasts and a friendly, enthusiastic staff. We are looking forward to trying it out.

First time this has happened, but I picked up fish at Whole Foods last night.

Mashed potatoes & sunchokes warming in oven, collard greens ready on the back burner. Shallot and parsley minced. Mustard and white wine out for sauce. Picked up the fillet to douse in milk only to find that someone forgot to scale it!!!

On the other hand, I have to say that I think the quality of at least some of the nuts sold in 1# bags under the store brand are superior to some I picked up at Trader Joe's.

I am glad to learn the meat department at TT looks spiffy. As much as I scorn the big Italian parsley splotches in the Italian sausage over at Georgetown (I guess you can count it as a vegetable), it's great to be able to ask for only 4 oz. of ground veal (for ragu) at a supermarket counter.

I spoke to Elizabeth, the exceptionally nice Team Leader at the Cheese Department, who seemed to think many of the changes we're griping about here are destined for the two other stores. The metal shelving on wheels will be replaced at TT. However--and these are my words, not hers--the aisles will remain too narrow for two-way traffic or passing.

Tenleytown Whole Foods: NIGHTMARE. Congested aisles, temporary produce set-up--oh, and New Year's Eve last minute shoppers everywhere. But I really needed to get my fix. I'm obsessed with the store's quinoa a la ranchera. Chick peas, bell peppers, corn, parsley, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper mixed in with quinoa. I love it. It's probably the lightest, healthiest thing I eat on a regular basis.

I fuckin' detest the parking lot at SS Whole Foods. One of these days I'm going to develop the first documented case of parking lot rage because of that place. What they really need to do is to set up gates at the exit and you have to produce a receipt from one of the stores in the strip or else you gotta pay $10. And yes, that includes the church goers.

I fuckin' detest the parking lot at SS Whole Foods. One of these days I'm going to develop the first documented case of parking lot rage because of that place. What they really need to do is to set up gates at the exit and you have to produce a receipt from one of the stores in the strip or else you gotta pay $10. And yes, that includes the church goers.

Clarendon WF has gates at the entrance, exit, and at the end of each row to define a very specific traffic pattern. This doesn't stop people (generally but not always driving SUV's) from nearly mowing us down every third time I go there. They seem to think that the speed limit on that particular stretch of 50 feet in front of the store is at least 30 mph.

I won't go on a Sunday anymore. I complained bitterly about spending 20 minutes to find a parking space and seeing every person get out of a car to go to the church. Supposedly the deal they made to build the shopping center included letting the church park for free.

Sad because I generally like it better than the WF at the Kentlands and they have a Jamba Juice...

I won't go on a Sunday anymore. I complained bitterly about spending 20 minutes to find a parking space and seeing every person get out of a car to go to the church. Supposedly the deal they made to build the shopping center included letting the church park for free.

Sad because I generally like it better than the WF at the Kentlands and they have a Jamba Juice...

The deal is that the cuurch can use the back row of the parking lot only. I still have memories of walking the lot and trying to stop people parking for the church. I would say "Hello, I am the assistant manager of the Whole Foods and the church can only use the back aisle of the parking lot for parking" and being cursed out repeatedly as they huffily walked to service. I would wait out their obscenities and say "Have a nice service"

What's going on with parking at the P street WF? When we stopped by on Saturday, there were a bunch of parking guys who seem to just be watching the lot (don't know what for). Are they actually going to implement the parking machines that they have had for years, or are they trying a new system? I don't really care either way; just curious.

Hear hear. What the hell were they thinking when they planned that shopping area? I won't go on the weekends anymore - I'd rather go over to Tenleytown or down to P St. if I need to go to Whole Foods. It's even getting bad during the weekday lunch hour.

Hear hear. What the hell were they thinking when they planned that shopping area? I won't go on the weekends anymore - I'd rather go over to Tenleytown or down to P St. if I need to go to Whole Foods. It's even getting bad during the weekday lunch hour.

Hate to say it, but I think this is what happens when the "Smart Growth", anti-development, and NIMBY crowds get their way. When that place was finally built, after the previous "too much traffic" ideas were rejected, it was touted by the brilliant, forward thinking minds of Montomery County as a place lots of people would walk to or take the metro, especially those "organic" types," so the parking lot got grossly undersized. So next time you want to buy groceries at the Silver Spring WF, take the metro, and lug the 20-30 lbs. stuff back home on the metro. Think of all the gas you'll save. Welcome to your new people friendly, not evil car-dominated, future!

Items that were not in stock at the 14th St. Whole Foods last night: rice, limes, water. Man, I hate that place.

To add to the list of missing items: broccoli, basil. There were also small onions in the garlic pile.

It was a nightmare. I second on the hatred.

I'm coming to hate on all of the Whole Foods, at least in DC. I assume the "14th Street" store is the P Street store? I hate that one. I used to sort of like the Tenleytown store, but I hate that too since they remodeled all the sense out of it. The Glover Park store is marginally better, but sweet Jesus MARK THE PRICES. The number of items in the produce section and the seafood section with no prices showing when I was there last week must have been over 100. In the seafood section, to give a particularly appalling example, they had small lobster tails for 6.99 each. Then they had large lobster tails with no price showing. I asked the counter guy are the big lobster tails the same price as the small ones? He says no, they're $26.99!

Back to the Tenleytown store: I guess it was supposed to be an improvement that they put in a full-service meat counter, but a full-service meat counter should come with actual butchers who know what they're doing. I asked a counter attendant there for some skirt steak, and she didn't even know what or where that was. I had to show her. On top of the display case they had some little Niman Ranch salamis, with, you guessed it, no price marked. I asked the same attendant how much they were. She had no idea, and asked one of her colleagues, who, rather than actually ascertaining the price, guessed. "I think they're 4.99", she said. Well, they turned out to be $5.99, which isn't that far off, but they shouldn't be guessing at the prices of things they're selling. Every time I go into any of the DC Whole Foods stores, it's only a matter of moments before I'm muttering to myself "God I hate this place".

Has anyone tried these new brownies they are selling in the bakery section of the Tenleytown Whole Foods? I think they are called, Dina's brownies or something. I don't know who Dina is, but she makes some pretty good brownies. Very fudgy. Very rich. And they usually have a nice crisp crust on top.

The new store opens today! I had a look at the joint Saturday and it's an amazing place. There are a number of interesting venues including smoked meats, gelato, and house-made candies and chocolates.

I saw a picture yesterday of suckling pigs hanging in the meat dept! I'll see if I can find out how much they go for...

The new store opens today! I had a look at the joint Saturday and it's an amazing place. There are a number of interesting venues including smoked meats, gelato, and house-made candies and chocolates.

I saw a picture yesterday of suckling pigs hanging in the meat dept! I'll see if I can find out how much they go for...

Dude.

GO. Five separate seated/counter dining areas. Cheap, decent wine, beer and sake. Crazy meat and fish. And that strange egg thing like at Alexandria.

Serious happy hour potential.

Did you see the wine bar upstairs?
I did, though they were ironing out some kinks.

You want an ounce of 2004 Weinbach Riesling Schlossberg Ste-Catherine? That's $2 for a couple swigs of some seriously killer riesling. How about 1998 Kistler McCrea chardonnay? That's $10. Lots of samples are $1. Some other crazy reserve stuff. (Not to mention, the reserve wine room that, if all the wines are authentic, is one of the crazy-best selections of legendary wines anywhere in America).