Wild Chicken - Two Locations in Fairfax, Lee Highway (East) and Pickett Road (West)

How is it that Wild Chicken doesn't have a thread yet?  Two locations, snazzy logo (yellow, cartoon chicken holding a "Wild" sign), tasty chicken, heck, the location opposite Fair City Mall is even the reference point for the neighboring Sheba Ethiopian restaurant.  Problem solved.

We brought back from the Fair City location a whole chicken with a double-size side of yucca and an order of anticuchos last weekend.  The order easily fed three of us, with leftovers to feed two -- the chicken came with side salads, the anticuchos with a nice hunk of large-kerneled corn.  Could have used more of the spicy green sauce -- next time, we'll order more at $.20 per mini tub.

Chicken was juicy and very flavorful -- to my tastes, superior to Super Chicken and the equal to Crisp & Juicy.  The spicing of the skin, possibly a little saltier. The green sauce is good, but a little bit of a letdown here as compared to the addictive renditions at competitors.

The anticuchos weren't perfect, but they were pretty darn good.  Rich with flavor, and obviously authentic (i.e. the heart, not some random cut of steak), they were not quite as tender as they would be at a beachfront Lima wedding.  I'd go back just to have these.

All in all, definitely worth adding to the chicken rotation.  And worth a thread of its own.

• Like 1

Thanks for pointing this out. I will definitely try it.

But be careful what you wish for....there is a "lovable quirk" on this site known as "Multiple Locations" where restaurants lose their sense of place and neighborhood and get clumped into irrelevant categories. For instance, let's say you're going to South Bethesda and you want to know what restaurants are in the area. Well, the Dining Guide will tell you that the ear-shattering Redwood exists on an address that no GPS can ever find, but it won't tell you that Jaleo and Lebanese Taverna are both a few steps away....I fear that Wild Chicken will now land there....

(Sorry, Don, I was in a rant mood....)

How is it that Wild Chicken doesn't have a thread yet?  Two locations, snazzy logo (yellow, cartoon chicken holding a "Wild" sign), tasty chicken, heck, the location opposite Fair City Mall is even the reference point for the neighboring Sheba Ethiopian restaurant.  Problem solved.

We brought back from the Fair City location a whole chicken with a double-size side of yucca and an order of anticuchos last weekend.  The order easily fed three of us, with leftovers to feed two -- the chicken came with side salads, the anticuchos with a nice hunk of large-kerneled corn.  Could have used more of the spicy green sauce -- next time, we'll order more at $.20 per mini tub.

Chicken was juicy and very flavorful -- to my tastes, superior to Super Chicken and the equal to Crisp & Juicy.  The spicing of the skin, possibly a little saltier. The green sauce is good, but a little bit of a letdown here as compared to the addictive renditions at competitors.

The anticuchos weren't perfect, but they were pretty darn good.  Rich with flavor, and obviously authentic (i.e. the heart, not some random cut of steak), they were not quite as tender as they would be at a beachfront Lima wedding.  I'd go back just to have these.

All in all, definitely worth adding to the chicken rotation.  And worth a thread of its own.

FWIW, I reviewed the Pickett Rd. location here.

I ate at both locations quite a bit when I lived in FFX.  For a while we were timing our grocery shopping to include a fresh-baked loaf at Safeway, then swing by Wild Chicken on the way home to grab a whole bird. Best "fast" food meal ever! Glad to hear it is still good. I never thought it was quite up to Crisp and Juicy flavor or (skin) crispness, but it was more than good enough for us to eat almost every week for months.