JPW

The Trite Food List

542 posts in this topic

Prompted by Rissa's mentioning that she had a "New Mexico sparkling wine", which I guessed correctly was Gruet, I ask the following --

Is Gruet the new mini-burger?

I first had it about 2 years ago at Grapeseed in Bethesda.
Since then I have seen it many places, although I haven't kept track of exactly where. I know that they carry it at Adega in SS.

Ubiqitous hipster food that gets sold because it is "unusual" or something worth while?

Prompted by Rissa's mentioning that she had a "New Mexico sparkling wine", which I guessed correctly was Gruet, I ask the following --

Is Gruet the new mini-burger?

I first had it about 2 years ago at Grapeseed in Bethesda.

Since then I have seen it many places, although I haven't kept track of exactly where. I know that they carry it at Adega in SS.

Ubiqitous hipster food that gets sold because it is "unusual" or something worth while?

Oyamel has Gruet -- first time I came across it.

We had a discussion to a certain extent elsewhere of the larger topic you are suggesting. As I recall it centered on Salumi and also on things that are Wasabi crusted as cropping up in a hipsterish context.

Pork belly anything is heading up the list.

ohhh, please let us not disparage the all mighty pork belly.

I've found that just because something is ubiquitous doesn't make it unappealing. Often its appeal is what makes it ubiquitous in the first place.

Minburgers = good (or at least can be). Pork Belly = good. Salumi = good.

Beds in restaurants = not so good.

I fear the trend of whimsical play on words and food that is suppose to invoke ones childhood. While it can produce some fun dishes...say Michel Richard's riff on the Kit Kat Bar...I'm awaiting the arrival of such monstrosities as the fluff n nutter encrusted fishstick :lol:

-- Tapas served anywhere but a Spanish or Mediterranean restaurant

-- Braised Short Ribs

-- Drinks with Red Bull in them

-- Tea infused...anything

The mini-burger is probably on the top of my list though.

We first had Gruet in Santacafe in Santa Fe and liked it so much we're probably serving it at our wedding (also in Santa Fe) -- we were thrilled to see it in Oyamel but haven't found it elsewhere in these parts...good to know that we'll see it at Corduroy! Can't wait for our next excursion :lol:

In today's weekly dish, Sietsema covers Jonathan Krinn doing a bistro/bar menu. One item mentioned "succulent baby cheeseburgers (two for $14)".

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!

PS - Gotta add that the terrace sounds like a great place to hang out and the other couple of items mentioned sounded interesting. See here

To add to that, Krinn uses the magic word: tapas. As in "Tapas on the Terrace".

For once, the italics are mine, not the Post's. :lol:

...good to know that we'll see it at Corduroy! Can't wait for our next excursion smile.gif

Don't want to misinform or disappoint you, but JPW was referring to my experience about Gruet being served in Hank's Oyster Bar, not Corduroy.

Don't want to misinform or disappoint you, but JPW was referring to my experience about Gruet being served in Hank's Oyster Bar, not Corduroy.

So When will Corduroy get hip and stock the Gruet? laugh.gif

I wonder how mini these "baby" cheeseburgers are if you figure they are $7 each.

In today's weekly dish, Sietsema covers Jonathan Krinn doing a bistro/bar menu. One item mentioned "succulent baby cheeseburgers (two for $14)".

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!

PS - Gotta add that the terrace sounds like a great place to hang out and the other couple of items mentioned sounded interesting. See here

I sipped Gruet throughout my many courses at the Minibar and it paired quite nicely with everything. Even the cotton candy & foie. Reasonable price too.

well, I think what they lack in size they will supposedly make up for with taste, "designer beef (huh?), buns baked in-house and taro root chips" which probably fuels the $7 each

still, at that price you'd hope they be a little bigger than the ones at matchbox

I wonder how mini these "baby" cheeseburgers are if you figure they are $7 each.

Since beverages are included...

Trite: Any drink with the suffix tini that contains an unheard-of-until-now mixture of liqueurs and fruit, has a catchy or nonsensical name and is priced the $9 to $14 range.

And the tritest thing of all?

One of those drinks that has been mixed and served to you by a rat bastard tool. :lol:

One of those drinks that has been mixed and served to you by a rat bastard tool. ;)

I bet there is an interesting story behind that line. :lol:

Since beverages are included...

Trite: Any drink with the suffix tini that contains an unheard-of-until-now mixture of liqueurs and fruit, has a catchy or nonsensical name and is priced the $9 to $14 range.

Y'all don't know how affordable that sounds. Want a simple, bare-bones, standard size martini at a rooftop bar of the spanking new Hyatt Moscow? Wraparound view of Red Square included?

That'll be $21, please.

Before tip and tax.

You are welcome.

Y'all don't know how affordable that sounds.  Want a simple, bare-bones, standard size martini at a rooftop bar of the spanking new Hyatt Moscow? Wraparound view of Red Square included?

That'll be $21, please.

Before tip and tax.

You are welcome.

That's what you get for going to an AMEPIKAHCKII' PECTOPAH, COBYTILHITCA.

B PIAHOM BIDE,

PAXMAHIHOB.

'Noveltini' Edited by shogun