The Trite Food List

JPW

Prompted by Rissa's mentioning that she had a "New Mexico sparkling wine", which I guessed correctly was Gruet, I ask the following --

Is Gruet the new mini-burger?

I first had it about 2 years ago at Grapeseed in Bethesda.
Since then I have seen it many places, although I haven't kept track of exactly where. I know that they carry it at Adega in SS.

Ubiqitous hipster food that gets sold because it is "unusual" or something worth while?

Prompted by Rissa's mentioning that she had a "New Mexico sparkling wine", which I guessed correctly was Gruet, I ask the following --

Is Gruet the new mini-burger?

I first had it about 2 years ago at Grapeseed in Bethesda.

Since then I have seen it many places, although I haven't kept track of exactly where. I know that they carry it at Adega in SS.

Ubiqitous hipster food that gets sold because it is "unusual" or something worth while?

Oyamel has Gruet -- first time I came across it.

We had a discussion to a certain extent elsewhere of the larger topic you are suggesting. As I recall it centered on Salumi and also on things that are Wasabi crusted as cropping up in a hipsterish context.

I've found that just because something is ubiquitous doesn't make it unappealing. Often its appeal is what makes it ubiquitous in the first place.

Minburgers = good (or at least can be). Pork Belly = good. Salumi = good.

Beds in restaurants = not so good.

I fear the trend of whimsical play on words and food that is suppose to invoke ones childhood. While it can produce some fun dishes...say Michel Richard's riff on the Kit Kat Bar...I'm awaiting the arrival of such monstrosities as the fluff n nutter encrusted fishstick :lol:

We first had Gruet in Santacafe in Santa Fe and liked it so much we're probably serving it at our wedding (also in Santa Fe) -- we were thrilled to see it in Oyamel but haven't found it elsewhere in these parts...good to know that we'll see it at Corduroy! Can't wait for our next excursion :lol:

In today's weekly dish, Sietsema covers Jonathan Krinn doing a bistro/bar menu. One item mentioned "succulent baby cheeseburgers (two for $14)".

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!

PS - Gotta add that the terrace sounds like a great place to hang out and the other couple of items mentioned sounded interesting. See here

...good to know that we'll see it at Corduroy! Can't wait for our next excursion smile.gif

Don't want to misinform or disappoint you, but JPW was referring to my experience about Gruet being served in Hank's Oyster Bar, not Corduroy.

I wonder how mini these "baby" cheeseburgers are if you figure they are $7 each.

In today's weekly dish, Sietsema covers Jonathan Krinn doing a bistro/bar menu. One item mentioned "succulent baby cheeseburgers (two for $14)".

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!

PS - Gotta add that the terrace sounds like a great place to hang out and the other couple of items mentioned sounded interesting. See here

well, I think what they lack in size they will supposedly make up for with taste, "designer beef (huh?), buns baked in-house and taro root chips" which probably fuels the $7 each

still, at that price you'd hope they be a little bigger than the ones at matchbox

I wonder how mini these "baby" cheeseburgers are if you figure they are $7 each.

Since beverages are included...

Trite: Any drink with the suffix tini that contains an unheard-of-until-now mixture of liqueurs and fruit, has a catchy or nonsensical name and is priced the $9 to $14 range.

And the tritest thing of all?

One of those drinks that has been mixed and served to you by a rat bastard tool. :lol:

Since beverages are included...

Trite: Any drink with the suffix tini that contains an unheard-of-until-now mixture of liqueurs and fruit, has a catchy or nonsensical name and is priced the $9 to $14 range.

Y'all don't know how affordable that sounds. Want a simple, bare-bones, standard size martini at a rooftop bar of the spanking new Hyatt Moscow? Wraparound view of Red Square included?

That'll be $21, please.

Before tip and tax.

You are welcome.

Y'all don't know how affordable that sounds.  Want a simple, bare-bones, standard size martini at a rooftop bar of the spanking new Hyatt Moscow? Wraparound view of Red Square included?

That'll be $21, please.

Before tip and tax.

You are welcome.

That's what you get for going to an AMEPIKAHCKII' PECTOPAH, COBYTILHITCA.

B PIAHOM BIDE,

PAXMAHIHOB.

'Noveltini' Edited by shogun

I've been known to enjoy a blueberry mojito at IndeBleu and they are quite serviceable.

And Ken at Restaurant Eve is alleged to make a mean strawberry version. Not judging the quality, just remarking on the ubiquity.

edtied to add: I say "alleged" because I have never had one before. He sure seems to make a lot of them though.

Edited by Jacques Gastreaux

Possible new winner of Trend Combination, Drink Category:

Big Apple Mojito Martini

Bacardi Big Apple, sour mix, Sprite

$10, Heritage India Dupont

Aside from the cringe-inducing name, this drink manages to further condemn itself with a lack of thoughtful mixers and little resemblance to either a mojito or an apple martini. I haven't been brave enough to order one, but a simple peer review process of the ingredients has led to a unanimous condemnation of the entire specialty drink list.

Possible new winner of Trend Combination, Drink Category:

Big Apple Mojito Martini

Bacardi Big Apple, sour mix, Sprite

$10, Heritage India Dupont

Aside from the cringe-inducing name, this drink manages to further condemn itself with a lack of thoughtful mixers and little resemblance to either a mojito or an apple martini. I haven't been brave enough to order one, but a simple peer review process of the ingredients has led to a unanimous condemnation of the entire specialty drink list.

So if they stuck some mango in there, I guess that would make it a Big Apple Mojito Martini Caipirinha? *shudder*

I have seen grilled cheese sandwiches served with tomato soup on at least two menus (Bar Pilar and the not-yet-open Town Hall). What is this, grade school cafeteria chic?

Try the ham-and-cheese sandwiches at the bars at Restaurant Eve and CityZen sometime.

Clearly inspired by the dripping monster at Firefly, these sandwiches appear to be some sort of nutro-physics experiment which attempts to cram as much salt, butter and calories into the smallest possible polyhedron. As with pure sodium (which must be stored in oil), they are highly reactive (particularly with water), lose electrons when coming into contact with air, and burn with a distinctive yellow flame.

Cheers,
Rocks.

Try the ham-and-cheese sandwiches at the bars at Restaurant Eve and CityZen sometime. 

Clearly inspired by the dripping monster at Firefly, these sandwiches appear to be some sort of nutro-physics experiment which attempts to cram as much salt, butter and calories into the smallest possible polyhedron.  As with pure sodium (which must be stored in oil), they are highly reactive (particularly with water), lose electrons when coming into contact with air, and burn with a distinctive yellow flame.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Ah yes, two of the three basic food groups, grease and salt, in one, hand-held, dish. [The other basic food group is, of course, sugar.]

Clearly inspired by the dripping monster at Firefly, these sandwiches appear to be some sort of nutro-physics experiment which attempts to cram as much salt, butter and calories into the smallest possible polyhedron.  As with pure sodium (which must be stored in oil), they are highly reactive (particularly with water), lose electrons when coming into contact with air, and burn with a distinctive yellow flame.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Sounds like the results of one of my research projects when I worked in the lab.

Funny you should mention this: I was going to add salumi as an emerging trend. :P

I think for it to become truly trite, a dish must start appearing at inappropriate restaurants. When Cheesecake Factory starts advertising a charcuterie platter I'll officially add it to the trite food list.

As a side note -- if the meat is created/aged in house it cannot be trite. If Sysco provides it, it is automatically trite.

Tritely yours.

JPW

I think for it to become truly trite, a dish must start appearing at inappropriate restaurants. When Cheesecake Factory starts advertising a charcuterie platter I'll officially add it to the trite food list.

As a side note -- if the meat is created/aged in house it cannot be trite. If Sysco provides it, it is automatically trite.

Tritely yours.

JPW

they do have mini-burgers....

ROADSIDE SLIDERS

Bite-sized Burgers on Mini-Buns Served with

Grilled Onions, Pickles and Ketchup

It was on the opening menu back in 1999 with a tower of heirloom tomatoes, frisee and truffle vinaigrette

You've got six trite items in one with this dish! (Tomato-soup-and-sandwich, "a tower," of "heirloom" tomatoes, frisee, vinaigrette, and ANYTHING with truffle oil.)

Tonight we're gonna piss-on-the-party like it's 1999,

Rocks.

You've got six trite items in one with this dish!  (Tomato-soup-and-sandwich, "a tower," of "heirloom" tomatoes, frisee, vinaigrette, and ANYTHING with truffle oil.)

Tonight we're gonna piss-on-the-party like it's 1999,

Rocks.

Dude it was an opening menu of a new restaurant in 1999.

PLease to add to trite list, razzy board operators :P

You've got six trite items in one with this dish! (Tomato-soup-and-sandwich, "a tower," of "heirloom" tomatoes, frisee, vinaigrette, and ANYTHING with truffle oil.)

I ordered and enjoyed a "tower of haggis" starter last year in Aberdeen.

The menu was largely pub fare, but included a few such surreal culinary flourishes.

Then I made the mistake of relating to our hosts my chef instructor's opinion about the limited range of oatmeal. Our home-cooked supper the following night incorporated this theme ingredient in every course.

:P