Clyde's, a Georgetown-Based Chain - Giant American Restaurants in Numerous Area Locations

I wondered why Gus Schumacher--Undersecretary of Farm and Foreign Agricultural Services in the Clinton administration--repeatedly praised the hydroponic tomatoes he picked up at Dupont Circle over the weekend, but I didn't stay for dinner. No rhubarb?

Knowing neither the restaurant nor anything else in advance, I got the impression that Tom Meyer was one of the first restaurateurs in the area to buy local produce directly from growers. (He also boasted about ordering Coho salmon from a friend in Alaska back in the day when it was $1 a pound and usually ended up in cans.) The obstacles he faced when this was not an established system was the point. When Ris Lacoste was still with 1789, seasons dictated what was on the menu and the chef was familiar to everyone at the FreshFarm Market on Sundays. I don't know if a more exemplary restaurant (e.g. Blue Duck) has the space to accommodate a panel discussion.

The move to the Rockvillian suburbs is complete. Last night, the wife and I mulled over our dining options and in an effort to fully experience our soulless suburban sellout, we decided Clyde’s in Rockville would be the place to go.

I started with steamed clams with chorizo, chick peas, and tomato. Once I added some salt to the dish, this was quite good. The clams were cooked just enough to remain tender and the chorizo and garbanzos added good flavor and texture. The wife had the way overdressed Caesar salad. Then we both had burgers. How does the bottom bun get that soggy? It wasn’t the greasy delicious kind of soggy, just wet and mushy. Like someone dipped it in water on the way to our table. I guess the burger itself wasn’t bad.

Service was alarmingly efficient and courteous, and I gotta hand it to this Clyde feller, that hunting lodge motif is quite well done, if you’re into that sort of thing. I’ve never dined before with 10 or 12 antique shotguns hanging right near my head.

Better luck next time,

Soggy Bottom Boy…

I would guess the soggy bottom bun, hmmm didn't they sing in O' Brother where art Thou? Thats for another day I assume, but the wet bun most likely comes from a dish fresh out of the dishmachine and still not dry. Most likely the circumstance of a high volume restaurant, which knowing Clyde's, it probably fills that quotient of high volume

On Sunday we hosted a 60th birthday party for my sister-in-law at Clyde's in Columbia. A mix up on the starting time showed me what a class act Clyde's can be. The manager on duty was Billy Ireland. Our private room was being used by other diners. Billy quickly moved our party out to the pavilion on the lake where a bar was already set up and a band was playing. Our twenty guests enjoyed cocktails and appetizers in the delightful weather. We then moved inside to our appointed and now ready room. The server, Phillip, was swift and helpful; the crab cakes great as usual. In addition, they allowed us to bring in a birthday cake and served it at no additional charge. Thanks to Billy we had a very memorable event.

-Ed

I hate to do this, because I agree with some of the criticism. so I'll probably be flamed. I do not like chains at all. But that said, GAR and Clyde's and Lebanese Taverna ("local chains") seem to have a corner of this market and are raking it in. Old Ebbitt is the largest grossing restaurant in the DC area. I have met and spoken with John and Ginger Laytham on a number of occasions, and I know Tom Meyer -- my close friend sold 1789, FScott's and The Tombs to Clyde's about 20 years ago.

In defense of Clyde's, I've had a decent burger in Georgetown, I love the oysters at Old Ebbitt, and as a baseball fan my jaw drops every time I walk into the Gallery Place restaurant and see the huge Babe Ruth painting, which was commissioned by Clyde's and has some inside personalities in the dugout and seats. I have had rockfish in Tysons and meatloaf in Reston, and while none of these dishes rises to the level of CityZen or Eve or Citronelle, they are perfectly fine meals for the right occasion at the right price.

As an aside, is anyone else tired of the ubiquitous short-smoked salmon at all the GARs? It's on every menu, or so it seems, and it's on the salad or served as an entre, and the same mashed potatoes are all over every menu? Clyde's doesn't do that. At least not too much.

I know how much Clyde's spends on decorating its restaurants -- the paintings at Gallery Place, the hunting and fishing gear at Beauregard, the prints in Reston -- and I appreciate the effort and detail that goes into the decor. They have captured the American-Saloon-cum-Washington-Suburb kind of thing as well as can be captured, and many people in the Clyde's family have grown rich in the restaurant business.

At least one thumb up for Clyde's.

Old Ebbitt's has always been a reliable standby for family get togethers. I first visted their 2nd location in 1980. I will always have a soft spot for that location. In the newest spot I will comment that I abhor the atrium, love the side bars and will almost always order the cannelloni di casa because it never varies into yuck and ususally tastes fine and because it was my Mother's favorite dish.

The Chinatown location has always been unsatisfying for a number of reasons. The setting is lovely but a bit over the top for my tastes, the flow of people/mass of people/noisy people always makes me swear that I will never return. Service has not been up to the level of the other locations and the food has been unsatisfying - overdone, underdone etc.

I too have a Clyde's softspot. While I was at AU the one in Friendship Heights used to have a ridiculous special Thursday nights after 10 at the downstairs bar - 2 dollar pints, and a crab cake sandwich with french fries and coleslaw for 6 dollars. This one summer I went there almost every Thursday night. I was trying to scratch together enough money to be able to register for the fall so I was doing under the table construction work for my rugby coach (who still probably owes me a grand), living on an old couch in the chapter room of my friend's fraternity, sneaking into the residence halls amidst a group of summer interns to shower, and sustaining myself by way of pasta or cashing in one of the 200 or so fully stamped subway club cards I had (don't ask). Anyways I would look forward to Thursday all week because I would always hold back just enough for a crab cake sandwich and a few beers. Maybe my taste was a bit off due to the context, but I remember those crab cakes being really freaking good.

I too have a Clyde's softspot. While I was at AU the one in Friendship Heights used to have a ridiculous special Thursday nights after 10 at the downstairs bar - 2 dollar pints, and a crab cake sandwich with french fries and coleslaw for 6 dollars. This one summer I went there almost every Thursday night. I was trying to scratch together enough money to be able to register for the fall so I was doing under the table construction work for my rugby coach (who still probably owes me a grand), living on an old couch in the chapter room of my friend's fraternity, sneaking into the residence halls amidst a group of summer interns to shower, and sustaining myself by way of pasta or cashing in one of the 200 or so fully stamped subway club cards I had (don't ask). Anyways I would look forward to Thursday all week because I would always hold back just enough for a crab cake sandwich and a few beers. Maybe my taste was a bit off due to the context, but I remember those crab cakes being really freaking good.

Meet my wife at this Clyde's. However, I thought that their burgers, chicken sandwich and crab cakes were some of the best in town before that point. WAY BETTER THEN FIVE GUYS EVER PUT OUT! Please don't compare. Of course, I have never been to the original five guys. I don't know why, but do enjoy eating at the Old Ebbitt (plus they have some of the best Guinness in town.)

I think people just hold it against them that its a chain.....

The Clydes in Friendship Heights still offers this on Thursday night when classes are in session(the crab cake sandwich is also on the "Afternoon Delight" menu offered at various times throughout the week for 6 bucks). I guess I'm getting old when the throngs of students down there on Thursday night keep me at the outdoor bar or at home.

ETA: I was 'sealed in' Ebbitt last night due to a suspicious package out front... I gotta say, if you must be sealed in anywhere, the back bar at the Ebbitt during half price raw bar time is not a bad place to be stuck.

The Clydes in Friendship Heights still offers this on Thursday night when classes are in session(the crab cake sandwich is also on the "Afternoon Delight" menu offered at various times throughout the week for 6 bucks).

The Clyde's on the Walk at Gallery Place also has an afternoon delight menu from 3-5 pm. I ordered a $5 crab cake sandwich on Monday around 4 pm, and I was surprised to open it up and see two crab cakes in my sandwich. I also like the fact that you can get a pretty cheap breakfast here--eggs, bacon, sausage--until around 11 am.

The Clydes in Friendship Heights still offers this on Thursday night when classes are in session(the crab cake sandwich is also on the "Afternoon Delight" menu offered at various times throughout the week for 6 bucks).

Note that the Afternoon Delight menu at the original Georgetown Clyde's inspired the song of the same name, which was penned by Geworgetown U. alum Bill Danoff (who also co-wrote "Take Me Home, Country Roads").

This song should not necessarily be held against Clyde's.

The Clydes here in Ashburn is simply georgeous- the atmosphere is definitely the best thing about it. the service is good but nothing outstanding, the appetizers are very good too, but for meals- for the price- we go to other places. But you cannot beat the beauty of it- it's great for happy hours and impressing your out of town guests from Nebraska! lol

I hear you on the short smoked salmon at GAR. For awhile, I was eating it on a weekly basis at the Sterling Sweetwater in advance of O'Faoilains quiz nite. The dish could use updating, although the accompanying fried plantains made awesome dippers for the mashed potatoes.

I had lunch at the Clyde's in Tyson's Corner today. I'm not sure how many times I've been there, but I've gone there a lot over the years. It's been long enough, in fact, that I used to know some of the people whose faces appear in the frescos in the Palm Court.

My lunch this time was for the same reasons as all of the others. I needed a place to meet a coworker for lunch, and I was tired of the Daily Grill, which is where we usually meet for lunch.

The menu has changed some from my last visit, but it's like the menu always is at Clydes, which is predictable. The place gives the impression of being upscale, but in reality it's a good safe place for a business lunch because there's something for virtually any dietary requirement.

Today I had the turkey sandwich. Pretty boring, huh? But remember, the key here is safe and predictable. Unlike a number of other similar places, the turkey appeared to have once been part of an actual bird. It was a little drier than I usually like, but it tasted like actual turkey rather than lunch meat. The sandwich also contains avocado, bacon and cheddar, thus making sure you get your minimum daily requirement of cholesterol.

My dining partner had the ham and brie sandwich, except that the kitchen replaced ham with turkey at her request. The sandwich was immense, and I'm told, very tasty. Service by the befuddled server was quick if confused at times. At the end of the meal I was treated to a refreshing shower as the server dumped a full glass of iced tea down my back. I was wearing my finest LL Bean couture (polo and khakis) and turned down the multiple offers of dry cleaning. I'm not sure what would happen if you dry cleaned a polo shirt, but it couldn't be a good thing.

Lunch was astonishingly cheap, mainly because Clydes picked up the cost. But even if we'd had to pay, it's still less than 10 bucks apiece.

And, of course, there's the entertainment factor. My lunch companion just called as I was writing this so that she could continue to laugh about the iced tea, the befuddled server, and me soaking wet in the dining room at Clydes. I guess any time you can have a business lunch, meet your cholestorel goals, and have some great entertainment it can't be all bad.

But maybe I shouldn't refer to Clydes as "safe" after all.

Wayne Rash

Wayne - I concur. I posted re: Legal and noted last week's lunch at Clydes' Tyson with the halibut special. My business acquaintance had the scallops entree and a raw tuna appetizer - she said both were quite good. Prices were surprisingly reasonable.

No spilt wine or tea down my back but the experience was a good one.

I had a happy hour meeting at the Clyde's near the Verizon Center last Thursday, and it was exceptional. Having done happy hour at Old Ebbitt a few months ago, I think Clyde's has a corner on this market, worth a diversion if I can coin a Michelin term. The raw bar items are all half price, and let me tell you, the oxymoronish jumbo shrimp were sublime at about a buck and a half each. Each one was like a small lobster tail, and a half dozen at nine bucks is a very nice snack to accompany a glass of wine. Even the monstrous orca is half priced at happy hour. Oysters too, which the Clyde's chain seems to specialize in. A small group can eat and drink well at a Clyde's happy hour and not spend a full $100.

I had a happy hour meeting at the Clyde's near the Verizon Center last Thursday, and it was exceptional. Having done happy hour at Old Ebbitt a few months ago, I think Clyde's has a corner on this market, worth a diversion if I can coin a Michelin term. The raw bar items are all half price, and let me tell you, the oxymoronish jumbo shrimp were sublime at about a buck and a half each. Each one was like a small lobster tail, and a half dozen at nine bucks is a very nice snack to accompany a glass of wine. Even the monstrous orca is half priced at happy hour. Oysters too, which the Clyde's chain seems to specialize in. A small group can eat and drink well at a Clyde's happy hour and not spend a full $100.

Has anyone else noticed a discrepancy between the shrimp sizes at Clyde's Gallery Place and the Old Ebbitt? I have been to both places twice in the last two months. The shrimp were noticeably bigger (and had a better texture) at Clyde's. If this is the case all the time, I'll be a little disappointed, because I much prefer the overall experience of the Ebbitt -- and since the prices are the same at both places, it would be nice to get the same product.

Has anyone else noticed a discrepancy between the shrimp sizes at Clyde's Gallery Place and the Old Ebbitt? I have been to both places twice in the last two months. The shrimp were noticeably bigger (and had a better texture) at Clyde's. If this is the case all the time, I'll be a little disappointed, because I much prefer the overall experience of the Ebbitt -- and since the prices are the same at both places, it would be nice to get the same product.

Old Ebbitt and Clydes at Gallery Place actually get their shrimp from the same source, so it's likely that you just had a fluke of a few smaller ones at the Ebbitt

I will admit to being disappointed with numerous meals at various GAR restaurants over the past few years. IMHO, they have fallen off from their previous quality levels. All of their restaurants seem to be way too similiar, despite their markedly different concepts. I suspect we will find either firecracker shrimp, salt and pepper calamari, and Lobster Bisque on the menu of their new "Italian" concept.

That being said, they are astoundingly busy and successful because they get service right. Service doesn't necesssarily mean "servers", but they get "servers" right as well.These places hum along like a well oiled machine, but the service doesn't appear robotic and formulaic. They don't have the feel of most corporate chain restaurants, which is exactly what they are. A burger or filet ordered MR at any one of their restaurants comes out the exact same - RARE. I know I will have to order my meat Med if I am eating there at it always comes out perfect. No matter how long the wait, or how busy the restaurant, the food comes out timely, well prepared, and hot. And if you ever need your server, hell, ANY server, they are omnipresent without being obsequious. I was in Coastal Flats with my family a few months back, when I counted 11 servers at one point in our section, which was about 48 seats. A child spilled a glass of milk on the floor and it was gone in less than a minute.

They are Disneyesque in their adherance to service standards and principals. My wife waited tables there when she was 18 for three months. She spent the rest of her college years supporting herself waiting tables, and she swears to this day that it was the best run, most professional, most collegial restaurant she ever worked in. Every server had to report to work carrying their presssed and drycleaned shirt. Tag still on it. Shirt still in the bag. They also had to have two pressed and dry cleaned aprons for each shift, just in case one gets dirty during your shift. Working a double, better bring two shirts and four aprons, or you'll be going home. That was 15 years ago, but whenever I see a server walking across the street into Arties, they're carrying their dry cleaning with them.

You never get a waiter that doesn't know what is in a dish. Or what is on Tap. Or BTG. Or what the bottled beer is. You have to ask a pretty unusual question for them not to know the answer, and that answer is always "I'll check". I have never met a restauranteur that doesn't admire their dedication to staff training and server quality.

Ever need a manager? There will be one to your table in a few minutes. Every restaurant, every time.

I really wish that the food was as good as it was maybe 10 years ago. It's not. But they get most of the other things so right, that it is little wonder they are still amazingly busy, despite the sometimes middling food.

I think you just described Clyde's, only Clyde's has better food.

Seriously? I have been to several Clyde's. None of my meals were as decent as my meals at Coastal Flats. The service at Clyde's is uneven from location to location.

I think jayandstacey is right on in his description. I eat at these places with family, mostly. The service is very good, and everyone can get something to their taste. Plus, they get a thumbs up for offering real food in kid portions, and not just the same tired chicken tenders and cheeseburgers.

I have never experienced anything remotely close to uniformly excellent service and servers at Clyde's. Nor have I ever heard "grizzled restaurant veteran's" speak admirably of Clyde's systems, service, and servers. But I am glad you like Clyde's.

I have never experienced anything remotely close to uniformly excellent service and servers at Clyde's. Nor have I ever heard "grizzled restaurant veteran's" speak admirably of Clyde's systems, service, and servers. But I am glad you like Clyde's.

This will probably get moved to the Clyde's thread, but it's been my experience that the food, service & management at Clyde's- any location, are akin to snowflakes. Every time it's different, sometimes beautiful (and delicious), sometimes ugly and atrocious. Zero consistency.

Has anyone dined at Clyde's at Willow Creek Farm lately? NBC4 news just did a nice segment on it, and now I'm curious.

Thoughts?

We had brunch there with the family the weekend of the Loudoun Farm Tour. I'm racking my brain to remember what we ate but I do remember that we (including the twins) enjoyed the meal. Good service as usual. It's in our rotation.

The only thing that was disappointing was that they had run out of the calamari, which is our go-to appetizer at Clyde's, so we tried something else and I know we liked it.

Sorry I can't provide more specifics. Advancing age is taking its toll. :)

I have been twice in the past four months. The menu offers traditional Clyde's items (such as the monthly special available at all Clyde's - this month is a large grilled rib eye - chili, crab cakes etc.) and items only available at that location. Whenever I go to a Clyde's, I stick to basic fare - such as crab cakes or salad nicoise - so I can't comment on Willow chef's abilities. I can say there are a wide range of choices available that will satisfy a wide variety of appetites. There seems to be considerable effort to prominently feature fresh, locally sourced ingredients. For example, local asparagus plated with pecorino and olive oil as an appetizer was terrific and I swapped out potatoes for a generous portion of sauteed zucchini, squash and tomatoes without any lip.

Willow Creek's size is enormous. However, there are a number of different dining rooms and a huge informal saloon - each has a distinctly different character with many interesting oddities all over the place (antique lamps, carriages, Audobon prints). The size of the physical plant was not a distraction until I wandered around (needed bread crumbs to find my way back to the table). Service was friendly, efficient, informed and most eager to please both times I was there.

We had brunch there with the family the weekend of the Loudoun Farm Tour. I'm racking my brain to remember what we ate but I do remember that we (including the twins) enjoyed the meal. Good service as usual. It's in our rotation.

The only thing that was disappointing was that they had run out of the calamari, which is our go-to appetizer at Clyde's, so we tried something else and I know we liked it.

Sorry I can't provide more specifics. Advancing age is taking its toll. :)

I have been twice in the past four months. The menu offers traditional Clyde's items (such as the monthly special available at all Clyde's - this month is a large grilled rib eye - chili, crab cakes etc.) and items only available at that location. Whenever I go to a Clyde's, I stick to basic fare - such as crab cakes or salad nicoise - so I can't comment on Willow chef's abilities. I can say there are a wide range of choices available that will satisfy a wide variety of appetites. There seems to be considerable effort to prominently feature fresh, locally sourced ingredients. For example, local asparagus plated with pecorino and olive oil as an appetizer was terrific and I swapped out potatoes for a generous portion of sauteed zucchini, squash and tomatoes without any lip.

Willow Creek's size is enormous. However, there are a number of different dining rooms and a huge informal saloon - each has a distinctly different character with many interesting oddities all over the place (antique lamps, carriages, Audobon prints). The size of the physical plant was not a distraction until I wandered around (needed bread crumbs to find my way back to the table). Service was friendly, efficient, informed and most eager to please both times I was there.

Thank you both!

"without any lip"....I chuckled at that one :D

The Washington Post Capital Business Section reports that Clyde's will take over the space at 14th and F Streets currently occupied by Borders and will open a a two-story, 35,000-square-foot restaurant next year. Plans are to include sushi, a raw bar and, on the bottom level, live music.

This is an interesting move. That's a big space, and surely they'll do a brisk lunch business, but nightime could be problematic as it's not such a prime PM destination. Parking is awful, Metro is 4 blocks away, virually no residential and limited foot traffic.It seems to me this would cannibalize a lot of their existing business at Old Ebbitt. Granted, Old Ebbit isn't Clydes, but I always thought of it as a "luxury" version of Clydes.

But people who make these decisions are way smarter than me.

Yeah, parking sucks, but O.E. is by no means "dead" after work hours. We often go for the late happy hour (post 11pm) and the dining room is still packed.

I know...that's why I was thinking about the cannibalization of OE business.

This is an interesting move. That's a big space, and surely they'll do a brisk lunch business, but nightime could be problematic as it's not such a prime PM destination. Parking is awful, Metro is 4 blocks away, virually no residential and limited foot traffic.It seems to me this would cannibalize a lot of their existing business at Old Ebbitt. Granted, Old Ebbit isn't Clydes, but I always thought of it as a "luxury" version of Clydes.

But people who make these decisions are way smarter than me.

Of course now I can't find a link to the quote, but the Ebbitt GM said something along the lines of, "We are turning away so much prime time business at OE Grill that opening down the block will be a relief".

I went to the Columbia location last night (not my choice!). Had a pedestrian caesar salad, OK crabcakes (with a side of corn/tomato saute that was acceptable) and a few berries with a lot of whipped cream. Not a horrible meal, but really just run of the mill and boring. And the service was pretty horrible. How this place gets packed on a Tuesday night in suburbia is beyond me.

I went to the Columbia location last night (not my choice!). Had a pedestrian caesar salad, OK crabcakes (with a side of corn/tomato saute that was acceptable) and a few berries with a lot of whipped cream. Not a horrible meal, but really just run of the mill and boring. And the service was pretty horrible. How this place gets packed on a Tuesday night in suburbia is beyond me.

The Columbia location seems to be a bit of the bastard child of the chain... not that any of the Clydes are exactly fine dining, but this location is routinely more dirty with worse service and inconsistent food than the rest. Only redeeming quality is the 4th of July on the patio...

The universe is perverse. Case in point - not long after reading this:

I would not send an enemy to Clyde's Gallery Place

I got this in my email box (from a friend arranging a group dinner):

"Okay, so for reasons of available reservations, we will be having dinner at Clyde's Gallery Place."

I wouldn't send an enemy there, either, possibly because there are way worse restaurants to send one to. However, the squashed stuffed with rice, marcona almonds, dried cranberries, and about a gallon of butter was fairly tasty. On the other hand, Mr Porcupine reports that his sandwich was Not Good and the soup was Actively Bad.

I wouldn't send an enemy there, either, possibly because there are way worse restaurants to send one to. However, the squashed stuffed with rice, marcona almonds, dried cranberries, and about a gallon of butter was fairly tasty. On the other hand, Mr Porcupine reports that his sandwich was Not Good and the soup was Actively Bad.

I am a dyed in the wool Clyde's hater, to the same degree as Kibbee loathes GAR, OK that might be taking it a little far, maybe similar to d’Artagnan’s obsession with killing Comte de Rochefort, but I digress… I have found that the aforementioned location makes some pretty darn good wings.

The last time I was at the Gallery Place location, a woman in a Kansas City Chiefs sweatshirt comes walking in and sits down at the bar next to me, before I could even acknowledge that she is there she asks me “can you buy me a shot, and then maybe something to eat” - seeing she has her priorities a little out of whack I ignored her. She then asked the bartender if she could get a free shot, when she politely says no, she asks for a glass of water which she is given, then again asks for a shot, again she is politely told no, and asks if she can have some fruit in her drink, the bartender asks if she would like a lemon or a lime, and the reply is a “piece of pineapple and a cherry.” She got a slice of lemon. She waited until the bartender had walked to the other side of the bar, and asked the guy to her left if he could buy her a shot, this time the bartender saw it, and told her to stop. A few minutes later the manager came by and quietly and politely asked her to leave. My loathing for Clyde’s dropped a wee bit that day, mostly because I saw how they went out of their way to be polite to someone that would likely never be a customer of the establishment and unlike so many other places did their best to not embarrass someone that certainly needs someone to help her, but not by buying her another shot.

Mrs. B & I made a very bad decision yesterday to be lazy and have brunch at Clyde's before shopping at Mazza Gallerie because, y'know, it's usually acceptable, it's close to the shops,we didn't feel like driving too far...feh.

Food was marginal. We split the corn dumplings, which are essentially hush puppies with cheese and ham inside. They were crunchy but underseasoned. A little Tabasco helped. I chose Eggs Maryland and they were bland, with mushy crabcakes & breakfast potatoes that had obviously been cooked sometime last week and reheated. Stephanie got a bowl of chili that tasted like one of the first two ingredients was sugar. I might have overlooked the mediocre food if my drink had been acceptable, but my bloody mary arrived with a half-inch of acrid black pepper in the bottom and tasted like the bartender dumped the dregs of the mix pitcher in my glass & topped it with a little vodka.

Service was slow & very inattentive. I like a leisurely meal, but a line is crossed when I have to contemplate wandering the dining room to find my waiter. Lunch was at least 30-45 minutes longer than it needed to be because he kept disappearing. The process of sending my drink back and getting a fresh one took at least 20 minutes, getting and paying the check another 10-15, etc.

If I ever find myself back there I will stick to cheeseburgers & martinis.

ETA: we left a lot of our food untouched and I had about two sips of my remade drink because I didn't feel like staying another 30 minutes to finish it, so it was a waste of money as well as time

Mrs. B & I made a very bad decision yesterday to be lazy and have brunch at Clyde's before shopping at Mazza Gallerie because, y'know, it's usually acceptable, it's close to the shops,we didn't feel like driving too far...feh.

Friendly words of advice here for next time: Chadwick's. It's closer to Mazza Gallerie than Clyde's, and the food is better and cheaper.

Friendly words of advice here for next time: Chadwick's. It's closer to Mazza Gallerie than Clyde's, and the food is better and cheaper.

While Clyde's can be hit or miss, I've never had food at Chadwick's that was edible, in the narrower sense of the word.

Different Clyde's seem to have different personalities. The Georgetown branch -- which largely hires existing Clyde's staff that have proved themselves at other branches -- is reliable, solid B bar food. Mazza fluctuates. Gallery Place is clearly too big to be managed competently, but if you work your way into the appropriate nook or cranny, you can get a competent bartender, a drinkable drink and a dozen oysters before the movie starts.

Since Zaytinya has started takng reservations and couldn't accommodate us at all tonight, Clyde was a welcome sight in Gallery Place, and satisfied a vegetarian and a meat and potatoes person from out of town. No one will note it for fine dining, but what they do they do well and it's a notch up from Ruby Tuesdays. We didn't have anything exotic, two people had steaks, one burger, one black bean burger, one pasta, one soft shell sandwich, and I had the asparagus salad and the fish tacos. Just for me, the asparagus salad was a little expensive for 8 spears, cheese, and dressing, but it was very tasty. Fish tacos were good, not as good as a Taqueria Nacional, but tasty and well executed. I'd eat that all again.

Last two times I've been to any of the clyde's restaurants was old ebbit both times. Food was good not super good. 2nd to last time we were put in a crowded seating area. service always very professional.

I've been going to various clyde's around the region for a long long time. Always good...can't recall when i'd call it great. Probably most liked the one in Friendship Heights. Used to love the way the food runners would deliver dishes with plates stacked up their arms.

Last two times I've been to any of the clyde's restaurants was old ebbit both times. Food was good not super good. 2nd to last time we were put in a crowded seating area. service always very professional.

I've been going to various clyde's around the region for a long long time. Always good...can't recall when i'd call it great. Probably most liked the one in Friendship Heights. Used to love the way the food runners would deliver dishes with plates stacked up their arms.

And the vintage autos at the Friendship Heights location are fun, but the food is on a par with Chef Geoff.

Had a very pleasant evening at the bar after a long slog home to Arlington from Rockville in that mess of traffic and weather that was Wednesday night. Looking for a place to grab a quick bite and a drink, and maybe watch a little baseball, I had originally popped into Dogfish Head in 7 Corners, but all of the seats at the bar were full and I didn't want to wait for a table. I continued on down Route 7 and ended up at Clyde's at Mark Center. It's very convenient to where I live, but it had been a while since my last visit. Service from Tim at the bar was professional & friendly, but also unobtrusive. Other bartenders were also attentive to me and helped each other out, even though it wasn't super-busy. Select wines are very attractively priced on Wednesday's, and I ordered a bottle of a very good 2009 Argentine Malbec for $12.00(!) Also had the Cream of Crab soup at Tim's recommendation (over the Housemade Soup of the Day, which was cream of asparagus, IIRC). Not as many chunks of crab as the bisque at Ray's, but a nice strip of claw meat floating in a creamy broth with plenty of crab flavor, and no starchiness. After a long perusal of all three menus (raw bar, regular dinner, and bar), I ordered the Lamb Kofta Pita Pockets off the bar menu. These were really good; two decent-sized pita pockets filled with plump patties of spicy ground lamb, with grilled onion and another vegetable (I forget exactly what else was in them, and don't see the bar menu online). They were served with a ramekin of fresh-tasting Tatziki on the side.

I realized as I was leaving how long it had been since I had such a pleasant low-key dining experience without any snags or even minor annoyances which always seem to diminish things. It was sorely-needed after that commute, and the good food and drink, as well as the welcoming service, will bring me back here more often.