Dining in Crofton

One of my closest friends recently moved from NYC to Crofton (the things we do for love!). She's been great about coming into DC to meet me for dinner, brunch and cocktails, and I'd like to return the favor more often.

When I last visited her, we had an utterly forgettable meal in Annapolis on the bay (is it the bay? the harbor? whatever) at a Marriott or similar. I'd love to avoid that, if possible, but seeking out better local spots. I see that there's another Lebanese Taverna in Annapolis - that'll do, I suppose. I like it well enough.

But I'd love to come up with a few options to suggest to her because I expect to make the trip with some frequency. Thanks!

---

Christopher's (Al Dente)
Sly Horse Tavern (JLK)

My condolences to your friend. My unfortunate brother lives there. There seems to be only one standout restaurant in Crofton, but it really is quite good-- it's almost worth the trip from DC.

Christopher's

Try the carpaccio! They also make a mean steak and their fish dishes are usually darn tasty.

*sigh* It looks good, but unfortunately it's more than my friend will consider spending. She took a year off to travel the world and has only recently resumed working. I'm also enjoying a three-week period of unemployment before I start my new job so I'm not in a position to pay for the two of us really.

Anything else? Decent would suffice. Friend is not food-centric so I'm scared we'll end up at Applebee's or similar. Save me!

*sigh* It looks good, but unfortunately it's more than my friend will consider spending. She took a year off to travel the world and has only recently resumed working. I'm also enjoying a three-week period of unemployment before I start my new job so I'm not in a position to pay for the two of us really.

Anything else? Decent would suffice. Friend is not food-centric so I'm scared we'll end up at Applebee's or similar. Save me!

They make a good burger at the bar too!

There is another restaurant on Rt 3 called Fins-- Hawaiian Fusion that has a good deal at happy hour with 1/2 price apps. Get the pu pu platter!

With that, I've exhausted my knowledge of Crofton. You might need to head to Annapolis or Bawlmore.

*sigh*  It looks good, but unfortunately it's more than my friend will consider spending.  She took a year off to travel the world and has only recently resumed working.  I'm also enjoying a three-week period of unemployment before I start my new job so I'm not in a position to pay for the two of us really.

Anything else?  Decent would suffice.  Friend is not food-centric so I'm scared we'll end up at Applebee's or similar.  Save me!

Try Pachanga Grill in nearby Odenton. Good Mexican fare with many fish and seafood options. Lots of parking, very friendly staff, and a pretty interior. In the past, when I had a reasonable expectation of making it home for dinner, it was one of my favorite "call ahead and pick up dinner on the way home from the office" places. (410) 551-9318 8395 Piney Orchard Pkwy. Also, I haven't been in many years, but for a basic reliable red-sauce Italian, you could try Lucky Luciano's [Closed in early 2006] at 2205 Defense Highway in Crofton. 410-721-7995. At least it's not Applebees.

I end up in this area every weekend during the summer; we go fishing out of the South River. I was going to start some threads on these places, but wanted to wait until I'd made a more recent visit. Here are a few I like...

Killarney House- the Irish mixed grill is great, and they have some great beers on tap. If you're lucky enough to stop in when they have New England clam chowder, get it. It's wonderful! The happy hour is good (peel & eat shrimp and Chicken wings for cheap), and the smoked salmon rolls stuffed with potato salad are a nice surprise.

http://www.killarney-house.com/

Bayside Bull- There's no place to sit, but we go every time for the fresh cut roast beef sandwiches. They have hand cut fries, and a decent pasta salad. Maybe pick something up and take it to the waterfront.

http://www.baysidebull.com/

The old Stein- Oh, there's so much to say. I think it is best in the summer, when you can sit in the biergarten; it's like being transported to Munich. Check out their list of German beers... I think it rivals most places in the city.

http://www.oldstein-inn.com/

Last, The Original Steakhouse and Sports Theatre... okay, it's cheesy, but it's cheap. It's a great place to watch sports, and it's close to where you're looking. I saw the first Cowboys/ Redskins game there this season, and it was a blast. I couldn't find the official website, hope this will do.

http://baltimore.diningguide.com/data/d100282.htm

Hope some of these are helpful. I will post more when I have something fresh to say.

• Like 1

They make a good burger at the bar too!

There is another restaurant on Rt 3 called Fins that has a good deal at happy hour with 1/2 price apps. Get the pu-pu platter!

Fins-- Hawaiian Fusion

With that, I've exhausted my knowledge of Crofton. You might need to head to Annapolis or Bawlmore.

I can confirm that Fins was good when I dined there about a year ago. Three couples who do an occasional theme restaurant and subsequent dinner we cook, and the theme that time was Hawaii. Everybody was pleasantly surprised. Semi-casual--the type of place anyone could enjoy.

Try Pachanga Grill in nearby Odenton. 

I agree wholeheartedly! Pachanga is a great stand-by for good local fare. If you're lucky enough to be there on a night they're serving chicken mole enchiladas, get them. They're fantastic.

Also in Crofton is the Big Fish Grille, which is the little brother of Yellowfin in Annapolis. Lively bar scene, good seafood, and half-price wine on Tuesdays.

In 2007, Crofton was selected by Money Magazine (owned by Time-Warner) as #72 in the list of "The 100 Best Places To Live" in the United States. In 2011, they were selected as #82.

This, despite a resident likely being responsible for the Northern Snakehead infiltration.

So what happened from 2008-2010?

With barely anything to do with this topic, I do note that Crofton can claim Spiro Agnew as a former resident, not to mention Johns Hopkins, Bill Bellichick, Gheorghe Muresan and Edward Snowden....of course, it looks better as a riddle like "What do Spiro Agnew, Gheorghe Muresan, Bill Bellichick, Johnso Hopkins and Edward Snowden all have in common?"

After I saw Zimmern's latest Washington DC show and saw what Scott Drewno can do with Northern Snakehead, I'm thinking its introduction to the Potomac might not prove to be a bad thing....

I lived in Crofton from 2012 to 2014 and started spending time there in 2011. (I moved there from DC, which was culture shock enough -- I can't imagine moving there from NYC!!)

Some thoughts:

We liked Christopher's, which is mentioned upthread in posts from 2006.

We never tried Fins [Closed] or Pachanga Grill (in Odenton) -- I wish we had!

My husband grew up in Crofton and speaks fondly of Lucky Luciano's, but it closed, I think awhile ago.

We liked Killarney House (in Davidsonville). I remember the atmosphere especially fondly, but we enjoyed the food as well.

I'd heard good things about Bayside Bull (in Edgewater), but we never made it there.

We celebrated my husband's birthday at the Old Stein Inn (in Edgewater) one year. I agree about the biergarten in the summer, and, while I'm no connoisseur of German food, I remember enjoying my meal. They had an oompah band!

We ate at the Steakhouse (in Edgewater) (called The Original Steakhouse and Sports Theatre above -- I think they changed the name -- it may now be called the All-American Steakhouse) at least once. I don't remember much about it, but that doesn't necessarily mean much -- it was awhile ago.

Our mainstay in the area was Grace Garden (in Odenton), which has its own thread. We also enjoyed Lures (in Crownsville) for their yummy burgers and pleasant back patio. In Crofton itself we liked Allison's, a family-owned and -operated restaurant with a pretty standard menu of enjoyable dishes.

• Like 1

Grotto Pizza recently opened their first shop this side of the Chesapeake. Perfectly legit steak & cheese and if you're familiar with their pizza, it's exactly like what you'd find in Rehoboth beach. They also do gelato and have some decent happy hour specials. Free popcorn too.

The Awe Shack does solid kebabs and grilled meats.

Otani is our go-to for sushi when we're in Bowie. Very fresh.

I visit my mom in Bowie regularly and end up having to go to Crofton for lunches. We usually end up at Namaste for Indian or The Awe Shack for kebabs or Otani for sushi. Grace Garden in Odenton is always worth the detour.

Galway Bay in Annapolis and Killarney House in Davidsonville have a decent Irish pub vibe and good unpretentious food.

For German, Bavarian Brauhaus in Hanover is good for brats & schnitzels (about 20 minutes from Crofton).

My condolences to your friend. My unfortunate brother lives there. There seems to be only one standout restaurant in Crofton, but it really is quite good-- it's almost worth the trip from DC.

Christopher's

Try the carpaccio! They also make a mean steak and their fish dishes are usually darn tasty.

Christopher's isn't the only thing in that area. Well, I guess I'm emcompassing Gambrills with all the stuff at Waugh Chapel, especially Coalfire Pizza and south at the Blue Dolphin (great crab cakes).

I second and third Lures in Crownsville.  Great specials as well as an outstanding rotating list of great craft bears on Taps.  Crownsville close to Annapolis mall so this is a great option after the movies.  Ate at Lures last Saturday night and everyone was happy with upscale and tasty bar food.  I had Rockfish bites and a topping of Scallop Ceviche and several great IPAs to wash it down. 

• Like 1