Trader Joe's, 16 Area Locations

I heard the one on Colesville Rd, north of Four Corners, is supposed to be opening either this coming weekend or next...SWEET!

The neighborhood rumor mill has it that opening day will be May 27.

Did a drive by this weekend and they appear to have everything almost ready to go. They just need to stock the shelves.

Does anyone know if there is truth to the rumors of the Safeway in the Crystal City underground being replaced by a Trader Joe's?
I have also heard this so I asked today while at the Bailey's Crossroads TJ's -- they would neither confirm nor deny the rumor, but did say that there would be another TJ's opening in "the area" in about a year.

Got back from a lunch break over at TJ's. Must say it's alot nicer and bigger than the one in Rockville, Bethesda or Falls Church. It's more spacious than most TJ's. Quite happy there's another choice in Silver Spring besides Whole Paychecks... :lol:

The [conceptual | hypothetical | rumored] Crystal City TJ's isn't going to be very large, either, unless they expand the space, which it doesn' tlook like they're doing.

Have you walked through there to see if there is any action going on? A buddy of mine who works at the Alexandria TJ's says he's heard nothing of anything in Crystal City. But he's not really in a position that I would have expected him to know.

Tried to stop by the new TJ's in SS on Friday. What a madhouse! Lines at registers 15+ people deep. Selection looks broader than elsewhere as would be expected due to larger size. Will try again this week.

Have you walked through there to see if there is any action going on?  A buddy of mine who works at the Alexandria TJ's says he's heard nothing of anything in Crystal City.  But he's not really in a position that I would have expected him to know.

No, I was down there yesterday, and there's no sign of any construction.

It strikes me that a Trader Joe's in Crystal City would be mighty close to the existing one on Washington Street in Alexandria. One way to confirm whether or not there are plans for one in Crystal City would be to check th County's website to see if building permits have been requested or issued.

Tried to stop by the new TJ's in SS on Friday. What a madhouse! Lines at registers 15+ people deep. Selection looks broader than elsewhere as would be expected due to larger size. Will try again this week.

Stopped by briefly on Saturday, and there was a good amount of people checking it out, but not nearly as crowded as what you saw Friday. Store looks great; I was really pleased to see how large it is, but did not get to peruse all the aisles since we were on our way to do errands and had just bought a bunch of stuff at the Gaithersburg TJ's on Friday. I was very glad to see they have large tubs of the Total greek yogurt, in both the 0% and lowfat varieties.

Off topic, Chico's, on the otherhand, had two lines 5+ deep and I could barely get in the door to take a peek! :lol:

Took my husband to the Silver Spring Trader Joe's on Saturday. I've been a TJ customer since my California days, but he'd never been to one before. Poor guy. He's not exactly a foodie, and the place alarmed him.

• "It smells funny. Like... flavor and stuff."
    "This is a real tree-hugging-hippie kinda place, isn't it?"
    "The hell? Organic Pop-Tarts?"

Guess I'd better not take him to Han Ah Reum. He wouldn't survive the produce aisle, let alone the fish counter...

Anyone been there yet? How does it differ from the Reston, Fairfax, and Tysons TJ's?

I finally paid a quick visit to the new Trader Joe's last night.

The store is very attractive. The aisles are much wider than in the other stores. The cheese selection is displayed very nicely. Having had a recent good experience with a Wensleydale with cranberries from Costco, I snagged a White Stilton with cranberries at this TJ's. The cashier and another employee raved about it so I have high expectations. They also have Stilton with apricots and also with mango & ginger.

One thing that I found particularly impressive was that as late as I walked in (around 8:35, and they close at 9), the samples counter was fully stocked and manned (womanned, actually). The free coffee was also still hot.

There was some delectable looking items in the baked goods area -- strawberry rhubard pie and chocolate tangerine cookies, to name two -- that I will not be able to resist on future visits.

In the flower area I snagged a dozen beautiful "rainbow roses" for a mere $7.99.

All in all, a very nice store that should do quite well.

The other day my friend took great joy in scooping me on the fact that DC was finally getting a Trader Joe's. He said it was to open near the old Columbia Women's Hospital. I checked the TJ web site and there was no information, but that doesn't mean it isn't true.

Anyone else heard this rumor? Was I really scooped in the food world? Could it possibly be true :lol:

I'm working right near that location now (24th and L is where it's supposed to be). The word from my co-workers is that it's a done deal and TJ's will be moving in soon (it will be in the bottom floor of an almost completed new condo building at the old hospital site). There's some confirmation from the West End's website too (I'm having trouble finding a recent update on it that I saw).

I'm working right near that location now (24th and L is where it's supposed to be).  The word from my co-workers is that it's a done deal and TJ's will be moving in soon (it will be in the bottom floor of an almost completed new condo building at the old hospital site).  There's some confirmation from the West End's website too (I'm having trouble finding a recent update on it that I saw).

My info is the same as Chris's. I CAN'T WAIT. I live at 26th and K and cannot wait to abandon that ratty Watergate-GWU Safeway.

Anybody have a link to more info on this? I had heard rumors of TJ going in up where the Adams Morgan Harris Teeter drama is unfolding, but this is the first I've heard of a Foggy Bottom location. This is fantastic news; and, yes, it will be slammed from the get go. Any word on whether they will have a liquor license?

Edit: Nevermind, answered my own questions: West End TJ's.

It will be seeking a license to sell beer and wine, and is expected to open in the first quarter of 2006.
Edited by TedE

I thought I heard about it a couple years ago - when jdland kept a great web page on new condo development in DC. Anyways, I have a friend who's moving into those condos and she said that the TJs is scheduled to open in June.... and it will have some indoor parking reserved for it. It's dragged because development at that site had been behind at least a year.

According to tracking trader joe's, the store will be 11,800 square feet.

I vaguely remember hearing about TJ's opening up on Capitol Hill also, but have't seen anything lately about it - and the above post would seem to squash it.

eta: link to tracking trader joes.

Edited by rbh

Jar of Maille cornichons ran out so I reached for the spare in my pantry. Gah. Balducci's brand cornichons are disgusting - little flavor and a foul mushy texture.

Come to think of it, every house brand thing I've tried there has suh-uh-ucked. Way to go, Sutton Place.

I like the house brand of cornichons at Trader Joe's--nice and crisp, and plenty of flavor. Less expensive, too.

I like the house brand of cornichons at Trader Joe's--nice and crisp, and plenty of flavor. Less expensive, too.

The Trader Joe's house brands in general are really good. The mayonnaise is about the best commercially bottled mayonnaise I've come across. Their tuna (skipjack, I think) in olive oil is excellent.

My info is the same as Chris's. I CAN'T WAIT. I live at 26th and K and cannot wait to abandon that ratty Watergate-GWU Safeway.

Ah, watergate safeway, could you have been any worse? Terrible selection, useless produce section, and very questionable meats...thank god I live near a Whole Foods now. That place is awful and I imagine it will take a huge hit when the TJ's opens up...the only people that will still go there are the elderly folks who live in the Watergate and don't want to walk the very few blocks to the TJ's. If the TJ's takes Colonial Cash (the GW food points, might be called something else by now, who knows), the effect will be tremendous.

Signed,

BS/MS-CS, '04 (lived on campus the whole time)

Is there any reason why they couldn't? The store isn't too close to a school (viz. Georgetown Safeway), or anything, right? right?!
It has to do with whether you have more than one store in DC. For example, the WF on P Street can sell beer and wine, but the others cannot. Likewise, the Safeway on Columbia Road has started selling beer and wine recently, but the others in the city cannot. The Metro Markets are individually owned, so are not affected by the "only one store per owner with a liquor license" rule. I believe the TJ's in Foggy Bottom is the first one in the District, so will be allowed to sell alcohol. If others open in the city, they won't unless the law is changed.

It has to do with whether you have more than one store in DC. For example, the WF on P Street can sell beer and wine, but the others cannot.

The Glover Park WF also sells beer and wine. Isn't the Tenleytown one the exception in that they don't? I thought they had to make that concession to the NIMBYs in order to open in that location

Ah, watergate safeway, could you have been any worse? Terrible selection, useless produce section, and very questionable meats...thank god I live near a Whole Foods now. That place is awful and I imagine it will take a huge hit when the TJ's opens up...the only people that will still go there are the elderly folks who live in the Watergate and don't want to walk the very few blocks to the TJ's. If the TJ's takes Colonial Cash (the GW food points, might be called something else by now, who knows), the effect will be tremendous.

Signed,

BS/MS-CS, '04 (lived on campus the whole time)

The Watergate Safeway will still draw the residents ( I used to love elbowing Caspar Weinberger out of the way) and the students who live in the dorms in the neighborhood (the old Howard Johnson's). It's like a mob scene in there sometimes. The students now have a sort of credit card called G-World that gives them discounts and such at local stores. The only reason I like going to Watergate Mall is for a haircut at Watergate Barber (been going there for 20 years) and to pick up combination lomein from Chen's. The calzones at Fresca aren't bad, either.

The Glover Park store of WFM was the first store in DC and it offered beer and wine under the one liscense per owner law. When the new store at P was in development, WFM lobbied and got the city council to pass a law allowing multiple stores in the city to have a license if they met certain criteria regarding redevelopment. The conditions are quite specific and I was not part of that negotiation. I was the person who negotaiated the restrictions at WFM P Street which is why the store cannot sell single beers. I tried to get an exception for Belgian beers... ie WFM P would not sell any single beer for less than $2.49 a bottle. The opposition just thought we meant to sell Mickey's big mouths for a huge profit I guess, but no single Belgians! Or 22oz Microbrews. And the liquor store next door continued to sell its cheap crus large bottles well after we opened!

Today a single owner can have 7 licenses for grocery stores if they meet the redevelopment criteria on liscenses 2-7.

The Tenlyetown store doesn't sell alcohol as a result of the school next door and the decision to let Glover Park have the original liscense. With the remodel (I was at Tenley in the early planning stages) there was talk about trying for a license but nothing came of it back then.

The Glover Park store of WFM was the first store in DC and it offered beer and wine under the one liscense per owner law. When the new store at P was in development, WFM lobbied and got the city council to pass a law allowing multiple stores in the city to have a license if they met certain criteria regarding redevelopment. The conditions are quite specific and I was not part of that negotiation. I was the person who negotaiated the restrictions at WFM P Street which is why the store cannot sell single beers. I tried to get an exception for Belgian beers... ie WFM P would not sell any single beer for less than $2.49 a bottle. The opposition just thought we meant to sell Mickey's big mouths for a huge profit I guess, but no single Belgians! Or 22oz Microbrews. And the liquor store next door continued to sell its cheap crus large bottles well after we opened!

Ah, now it makes sense why the P st WF always has two-bottle packages that involve the bottles being wrapped together with tape. Always confused the heck out of me since I had seen single bottle sales at other locations. It's sorta annoying when you just want to try a new beer that is packaged in 22oz or 750ml bottles, but heck, the convenience of being able to get good beer at reasonable prices is well worth it. Whoever runs the beer selection at the P St location gets a tip of the hat from me: they've almost always got something that I either haven't had or just haven't had in a while. Yesterday it was the Lagunitas Sirius, a "high-gravity cream ale". Not the best Lagunitas offering, but not bad.

I would think that "A New Trader Joe's Near GWU" in the thread title would be a clue that the new Trader Joe's is, in fact, near GWU.

In fact, 25th and L is about 2 blocks from the edge of campus, and given their expansionist tendencies in Foggy Bottom, will soon be in the middle of the quad. :)

Signed,

BSEE, '91 (Lived at 23rd & I for 2 years)

My post was in response to the question regarding the new TJ's ability to sell beer and wine. In this case, a hypothetical "school" was meant in the more traditional sense (i.e. primary or secondary), the proximity of which would preclude the sale of alcoholic beverages (again, viz. Safeway at Wisc. and Whitehaven). Now I understand what the real issue was (the one license per owner thingie).

This raises another question, though: does this mean that GW is accredited now? If so, I offer my heartiest congratulations! I've been pulling for you guys. :lol:

My post was in response to the question regarding the new TJ's ability to sell beer and wine. In this case, a hypothetical "school" was meant in the more traditional sense (i.e. primary or secondary), the proximity of which would preclude the sale of alcoholic beverages (again, viz. Safeway at Wisc. and Whitehaven). Now I understand what the real issue was (the one license per owner thingie).

This raises another question, though: does this mean that GW is accredited now? If so, I offer my heartiest congratulations! I've been pulling for you guys. :)

Francis Middle School is 2 blocks away on N St. Also, there's a church right across the street. I have heard independently, however, that they will have a wine department. 2 Buck Chuck, here we come!

What I like at TJ's.

1)Joe's O's for half the price of Cheerios

2)Raisin Bran at half the price of typical Raisin Bran

3)Good coffee at a good price

4)Yo-Baby full fat yogurt for $1 less than Whole Paycheck

5)Their Kalamata EVOO

6)Pistachios much cheaper than you'll find most places

7)Decent pizza dough (yes I know that it's easy to make, I'm just lazy)

8)Their frozen stuff makes good lunches and is cheaper and healthier than Stouffer's. Now if I only had a decent freakin' microwave at work. :)

9)Lowest sodium tortillas that I've found anywhere that still taste good.

All in all, for most of the things that you get there you'll save money compared to any other grocery store.

Edit to add -- Squids -- The Giant on East-West Highway? I've only been in a couple of times, but it seemed pretty good to me for a Giant.

What Ilike at TJ's.

1)Joe's O's for half the price of Cheerios

2)Raisin Bran at half the price of typical Raisin Bran

3)Good coffee at a good price

4)Yo-Baby full fat yogurt for $1 less than Whole Paycheck

5)Their Kalamata EVOO

6)Pistachios much cheaper than you'll find most places

7)Decent pizza dough (yes I know that it's easy to make, I'm just lazy)

8)Their frozen stuff makes good lunches and is cheaper and healthier than Stouffer's. Now if I only had a decent freakin' microwave at work. :)

9)Lowest sodium tortillas that I've found anywhere that still taste good.

10) Pasturzied (not Ultra-Pasturized) Heavy Cream with no added stabilizers

11) Tortillas without preservatives

12) Big chunks of Ghirardelli chocolate

13) Great prices on non-stale nuts of all varieties

14) Candied Ginger

15) Dried Fruits (eps. mango and pineapple)

16) Strawberry & Apricot Jam

17) A parking lot that is downright sane compared to the rat-maze at the Alexandria WF.

18) Proximity to DSW.

(Okay, the last two probably only apply to those living in Alexandria who have a weakness for shoes. :lol: )

Ahhh, Trader Joe's, my treasure trove of convenience foods.

Big ups on candied ginger and dried fruits, especially figs. Cheap cheap unsalted Plugra in 1 lb bricks. That wacky vanilla bean paste. Joe-Joe's cookies completely put Oreos and Hydrox to shame. For the lazy and skill-less entertainer like myself, their frozen hors d'oeuvres are handy, particularly the mushroom turnovers. Cheap flash-frozen fish and shellfish...although in many cases the fillets are actually too generously thick for the cook-it-frozen technique. Cheap frozen NZ lamb. Also one of the first and few places in the area to carry the tri-tip beef cut.

Non-wins: "FAGE" Greek strained yogurt is only a few cents more per unit at WF which is more convenient. The pistachios are just as good quality, larger, and cheaper at Costco.

Still in the doghouse for: discontinuing the banana waffles. I can't begin to describe how addictive those were.

10) Pasturzied (not Ultra-Pasturized) Heavy Cream with no added stabilizers

11) Tortillas without preservatives

12) Big chunks of Ghirardelli chocolate

13) Great prices on non-stale nuts of all varieties

14) Candied Ginger

15) Dried Fruits (eps. mango and pineapple)

16) Strawberry & Apricot Jam

17) A parking lot that is downright sane compared to the rat-maze at the Alexandria WF.

18) Proximity to DSW.

(Okay, the last two probably only apply to those living in Alexandria who have a weakness for shoes. :) )

19) Real Maple Syrup for much less than anywhere else I've found.

Non-wins: "FAGE" Greek strained yogurt is only a few cents more per unit at WF which is more convenient. The pistachios are just as good quality, larger, and cheaper at Costco.
True, but I bet you don't have to buy 20 lbs of pistachios at Trader Joe's. :)

And I don't buy the Greek yogurt enough to justify a trip to TJ. We are now totally addicted to Emmi Pink Grapefruit yogurt, which I've only found at Balducci's.

Good at Trader Joe's: The mayonnaise is probably the best commercially prepared, bottled mayonnaise I've ever encountered. I've never seen a tri-tip roast anywhere else, and I bought one and roasted it and it was lovely. They used to carry some wonderful tuna packed in olive oil, but at least the Bailey's Xroads store seems to have dropped it. It was actually affordable. Another attraction of the Bailey's Xroads store is that you can have lunch at Full Kee and shop at TJ's from the same parking lot. A drawback is that I live and work in NW Washington.

Good at Trader Joe's: The mayonnaise is probably the best commercially prepared, bottled mayonnaise I've ever encountered. I've never seen a tri-tip roast anywhere else, and I bought one and roasted it and it was lovely. They used to carry some wonderful tuna packed in olive oil, but at least the Bailey's Xroads store seems to have dropped it. It was actually affordable. Another attraction of the Bailey's Xroads store is that you can have lunch at Full Kee and shop at TJ's from the same parking lot. A drawback is that I live and work in NW Washington.

They still carry that Italian style tuna in olive oil.

Oh, and 20)72% dark chocolate Pound plus bar for $3.99

It's not great eating but great for baking

21) Actually, the TJ's chocolate (milk and dark) are both great for baking--and I do like eating them, too!

22) The pecan granola :)

23) Choice of breads with no preservatives (hot dog and hamburger rolls, too)

24) Tomato and Corn Relish

25) Kalamata Olive Oil--huge bottle! used to be $5.99 but I think on last purchase it was up to $7.99 (still a steal, and quite flavorful)

Heather, the Rt 29 TJ's is much easier to get to than Rockville...not so far from Takoma Park that you would think of it as a "special trip". Welcome to the 'hood, and good luck with your move.

Roast tri trip? I obtained flank strip-looking tri tips from Harris Teeter and I'm thinking I need to marinate and grill on high heat. Are there alternate/better ways to cook this trendy cut of meat?

Roast tri trip? I obtained flank strip-looking tri tips from Harris Teeter and I'm thinking I need to marinate and grill on high heat. Are there alternate/better ways to cook this trendy cut of meat?
Some disagree, but I've found that tri-tip grilled over hardwood is enhanced by marinating it for 4-6 hours. I've also dry-rubbed it, but prefer a red wine-garlic-black pepper-olive oil marinade.