Trader Joe's, 16 Area Locations

21) Actually, the TJ's chocolate (milk and dark) are both great for baking--and I do like eating them, too!

22) The pecan granola :lol:

23) Choice of breads with no preservatives (hot dog and hamburger rolls, too)

24) Tomato and Corn Relish

25) Kalamata Olive Oil--huge bottle! used to be $5.99 but I think on last purchase it was up to $7.99 (still a steal, and quite flavorful)

26) Vermont Butter and Cheese Co. Creme Fraiche cheaper than anywhere else.

27) TJ's Unsweetened soy milk

28) Bottled green tea with bergamot for guzzling over ice

29) Poland Springs sparkling water CTAE (cheaper than anywhere else)

30) King Arthur Flour and Florida Crystals sugar CTAE

31) Pitted Kalamata olives, cornichons and capers CTAE

32) Italian gnocchi for quick vegetarian entree

33) Valhrona chocolate bars CTAE

34) Packaged smoked salmon CTAE

35) Vinta crackers CTAE

36) TJ's brand cream cheese and tortilla chips--better & cheaper than most others

37) Various fresh produce items: crimini mushrooms, avocados, cherry tomatoes, fresh basil (off-season) CTAE

38) Toasted pine nuts, almonds, peanuts, cashews, dried apricots, sour cherries, raisins fresher, better and CTAE

39) Vitamins and supplements CTAE

The real question is: were you so crazed by the Rockville Pike store's parking lot that you didn't see any of these things? Yikes, before TJ's opened in this area, I used to take an empty suitcase with me when I went to California, just to bring back stuff from TJ's.

:)

40) Smart Water CTAE

41) Variety of cheap but good vinegars to teach my coworker about the world of vinegar*

42) Same thing for olive oil

43) TJ brand artichoke spread-good and CTAE

44) Altoids CTAE

45) Their motto-Affordable food for the over educated and underpaid

*My coworker was told by his doctor to start eating lots of salad with vinegar and a little bit of oil. He had been using plain white vinegar and regular olive oil. He ate like this for months before I realized what was going on and fixed the situation :)

Not crazed by the parking - they just sell many things I don't need or want on a regular basis. Plus, I don't buy frozen meat, fish, veggies (except peas) or prepared stuff. The produce at Rockville is terrible, and their fresh meat is too, so it was always going to be a separate trip to WF or the market for those items.

I just made a stop by there too - 5 block walk from work, which won't be a big deal on days when the weather is a little better than this! Pretty spacious, and lots of cash registers which is nice to keep people moving. Not the biggest produce sections, but staples are there. I wonder if they might have more to put outside too as they were setting up a tent type structure.

I was there today and forgot to ask about beer and wine sales on Sundays, but I can't see any good reason they couldn't. Rodman's and Whole Foods sell beer and wine on Sundays. I think it's mainly an issue with liquor stores needing to be closed.

On the whole, I was impressed by the store. It's less cramped and more navigable than the Bethesda store, that's for sure. Also, their beer selection is interesting. Samuel Smith's and Ommegang Belgian--I don't recall seeing them in other TJ's, and three kinds of Magic Hat for $6.99 a sixpack. One of the freezer cases is not functioning, so there was no ice cream. The two guys who do most of the food demos in the Bethesda store are trained chefs, and can be quite creative, given the limitations of the setting. The kid in charge of food demos in Foggy Bottom opened a jar of sauce and a can of beans, cut up some frozen chicken, heated them together and spooned it over pre-cooked brown rice. Maybe GW students who live in a basement with only a microwave to cook with would get inspired by that. I'm mostly just looking for a little snack while I shop, anyway...

The place was packed with shoppers and high energy employees. There were two managerial expediters keeping the checkout line moving smoothly--a single line feeds about 10 checkers, so it went quickly. Parking was convenient and easy. My new store! Bye-bye Bethesda.

I sailed into TJ's this morning a little after 11. It was busy, but manageable. Nice store, very well stocked with great and unusual selection. One of the freezer cases was not working and I heard some pouty turd whining about "you don't have them? it's the only reason I came here". Yeah, right. The employees were cheerful and very helpful, checkout was quick and pleasant - a seachange from the usually surly union employees at the Watergate Safeway where I've shopped for the last 20 years and no one even knows my name. $90 worth of goodies was all I could carry home. I have a terrible feeling that I'll be going back this afternoon! Oh, yeah. In the District, Two Buck Chuck has morphed into Three Buck Chuck.

The employees were cheerful and very helpful, checkout was quick and pleasant - a seachange from the usually surly union employees at the Watergate Safeway where I've shopped for the last 20 years and no one even knows my name. I have a terrible feeling that I'll be going back this afternoon! Oh, yeah. In the District, Two Buck Chuck has morphed into Three Buck Chuck.

There is a young woman at my Palisades neighborhood Safeway who has been a checker and a manager for the ten years that I have lived here. She learned my name almost immediately, always greets me by name and remembers what kind of bags I prefer--paper in plastic--sort of like the neighborhood bar where they know your name and fix your favorite drink before you even ask for it. I don't shop there very often anymore, since TJ's, the 'burban Asian markets, Whole Foods and Costco get most of my business. But Jackie is unfailingly glad to see me when I run in for a carton of milk. An unusual and exemplary employee, it seems.

The only place that Two Buck Chuck actually costs $1.99 is in California--everywhere else TJ's charges extra for the shipping costs incurred in moving the popular plonk from it's home terroir...

The only place that Two Buck Chuck actually costs $1.99 is in California--everywhere else TJ's charges extra for the shipping costs incurred in moving the popular plonk from it's home terroir...
To see 'Two Buck Chuck' in the same sentence as 'terroir' ... it's surprising and shocking somehow.

Someone pinch me-I'm not completely convinced that it wasn't a dream. This is what a TJ is supposed to be like. I didn't have the time to do a good, long shop but I was able to find all of my TJ regulars, plus a few new goodies. There is so much room that two whole carts can pass side by side without running into each other! Unheard of up in Bethesda. I have a feeling the stock has been depleted over the weekend, there were shelves that were empty save one or two items. The broken freezer is up and running but hasn't been stocked yet. I have a feeling that the nightmare that is the Bethesda TJ will soon become a distant memory.

The hospital has been gone for years. They fought to keep it, but in this day and age it wasn't possible. Will the TJ serve as much good, bring as many babies into the world (even with the three-buck chuck)? Probably not. But at least they put the space to good use with a retail outlet the neighborhood needs.

The place was completely mobbed today. The line went back to the dairy section. I left.

One advantage of working nights, while the "normal" people are relaxing, is that you can do your shopping while they are all at work. Avoiding Trader Joe's, Costco and Home Depot on weekends and holidays is highly recommended. Try going at 10 in the morning or 2 in the afternoon on a weekday, and you'll pretty much have the place to yourself. :)

One advantage of working nights, while the "normal" people are relaxing, is that you can do your shopping while they are all at work. Avoiding Trader Joe's, Costco and Home Depot on weekends and holidays is highly recommended. Try going at 10 in the morning or 2 in the afternoon on a weekday, and you'll pretty much have the place to yourself. :)

That's my new plan, since it's only a block from my house. I went at 4 yesterday and not only was the place a mob scene of college kids shopping in large groups, but it was pretty much picked clean. The cashier told me the day before that they get large truck deliveries every day. They need it!

That's my new plan, since it's only a block from my house. I went at 4 yesterday and not only was the place a mob scene of college kids shopping in large groups, but it was pretty much picked clean. The cashier told me the day before that they get large truck deliveries every day. They need it!

When I went on Sunday afternoon it was packed, and a lot of the shelves were pretty sparsely stocked. The beer section was next to empty (GW students came back to school this week, coincidence?).

Hopefully the GW kids will drop off a bit once the semester starts and they run out of money. Although I'm told GW closed its on campus grocery store this year, so maybe not. Either way, I am so excited about Trader Joes. I was genuinely shocked by how much cheaper items were than at Safeway or Giant.

I was genuinely shocked by how much cheaper items were than at Safeway or Giant.

Significantly cheaper. Some examples, which I bought:

1 liter of Kalamata Extra Virgin Olive Oil: $7.99 (about ten bucks cheaper than Safeway)

1 pound of pasta (cappelinni): 69¢

1 pound of sliced baby portabella mushrooms: $1.49

TJ's herbal shampoo: $1.99

It's amazing how it all adds up to fifty bucks so quick!

My new plan is to walk the 6 blocks there daily, while the weather is cooperating (since my gym membership is not doing me any good when I don't go!) When I went on Friday btwn 5 and 6, I came prepared with my umbrella and raincoat, but unfortunately the skies let loose when I was about a block and a half away. The wind made the umbrella useless, but it was too late to turn back. It was packed, but not so full that one could not navigate the aisles. Staff and customers were excited about the opening. The checkers were cheerful and efficient in moving the traffic so there was not a long wait in line.

I debated when to walk down today, since previous posters had encountered a full house. Maybe if I snuck out before noon I'd have a better chance? Couldn't do it then, so I ended up leaving at 12:45 and decided to take my chances...

The store was practically empty--not of food, of people! I didn't spend too much time perusing the store since I did a pretty good walk-thru on Friday, but I did note that they restocked quite nicely. (Except for the afore mentioned beer, and I also noticed that the refrigerated soups were all but gone) There was still a good selection of wines, but the beer--forget it. Today I picked up some spinach wraps, 2 cooked chicken breasts, slaw, mini bagels, fresh figs, and Greek yogurt for under $18. I'll get at least 4 wraps out of the chicken and slaw, and can add to that with other fixins later on to use up the rest of the wraps. Can't beat that for a week plus of lunches, and snacks! Friday I picked up a Niman Ranch ham steak, baby broccoli and a bag o' salad for dinner, plus some tomato basil pasta sauce for the pantry.

While we do live in SS, it's out of our way home to drive to the one on Rt 29--we've tried that before and by the time we reach SS it's after 7pm, and I'm too hungry to decide what to get without buying out the entire store. :) Even if I know what I want to get, it's hard not to be enticed to stray--and then we invariably end up eating dinner too late. I love having this store nearby--close enough for a good walk, and I can always drive over and park before leaving work if I need to pick up something that's a bit too heavy to carry.

I shopped at the new store yesterday, and was pleased on the whole. They are to be commended for establishing a single-queue system for their checkout stands, although the implementation is a little peculiar. The way it's set up, the person at the front of the queue can't actually see all of the cashier stations, and must be directed by a store employee acting as traffic director. The line was pretty long, but they had all ten (I think I counted ten) registers active, so it moved along at a pretty good pace. I bought a tri-tip, among other things. The one item I actually entered the store in quest of they didn't have. I wanted a bottle of peanut oil (not an outlandish demand of a grocery store, surely). In their oil section, they had several kinds of remarkably reasonable olive oil, walnut oil, and grapeseed oil, and nothing else. Is this typical of other TJ stores? Or were they simply sold out of other oils, or not yet stocked?

I wanted a bottle of peanut oil (not an outlandish demand of a grocery store, surely). In their oil section, they had several kinds of remarkably reasonable olive oil, walnut oil, and grapeseed oil, and nothing else. Is this typical of other TJ stores? Or were they simply sold out of other oils, or not yet stocked?

I haven't ever seen peanut oil at TJ's. They don't sell corn oil either.

I made my first foray to the new TJ's this afternoon. I walked there from near Connecticut and M, but noticed a bus stop right by the store on Penn. Ave. (any of the 30 buses go by there). I had to restrain myself somewhat, since I would have to carry the bags on the bus back home. What a great store! I bought a HUGE bottle of Canadian maple syrup for $7.99 and a bottle of Honey Moon Viognier for $5.99. I was rather stunned to see how much wine is being sold in the $4-5 range. I wonder if any of it is any good. I appreciate the way they have the checkout set up. This is one place where you don't have to guess which line will move the fastest.

I haven't ever seen peanut oil at TJ's. They don't sell corn oil either.

They seem to have something against pork, too. I had to look really hard to find enough porky things. I only saw one kind of pork sausage, although there are lots of chickent and turkey sausages. I don't think they've finished getting all their goods. The ice cream is still arriving.

I made my first foray to the new TJ's this afternoon. I walked there from near Connecticut and M, but noticed a bus stop right by the store on Penn. Ave. (any of the 30 buses go by there). I had to restrain myself somewhat, since I would have to carry the bags on the bus back home. What a great store! I bought a HUGE bottle of Canadian maple syrup for $7.99 and a bottle of Honey Moon Viognier for $5.99. I was rather stunned to see how much wine is being sold in the $4-5 range. I wonder if any of it is any good. I appreciate the way they have the checkout set up. This is one place where you don't have to guess which line will move the fastest.
I rather like the Honey Moon Viognier. It is probably my favorite of their lower end wines.

They seem to have something against pork, too. I had to look really hard to find enough porky things. I only saw one kind of pork sausage, although there are lots of chickent and turkey sausages. I don't think they've finished getting all their goods. The ice cream is still arriving.
I noticed that about the sausage, too, but I picked up a couple of frozen, stuffed pork chops--$2.99 @.

I bought a HUGE bottle of Canadian maple syrup for $7.99

I almost picked up the same one! Had to restrain myself, though, as I already had a large jar of honey and butter to go with the figs and bagels I picked up yesterday. (not in that order specifically :) ) Did you get the Grade B? Let me know how it is if you did! Ever since I've been buying my syrup from a vendor I found at one of the Sugarloaf Crafts festivals, out of Western Mass, I won't go back to anything but the Grade B. (The organic TJ's Grade B was 5.99 for 12 oz, and the Canadian one was $7.99.)

They sell Niman Ranch bacon, ham steaks and pre-cooked bbq ribs at other stores. I imagine this store will have them eventually, if they are not there already. Niman Ranch bacon--applewood smoked--is excellent, IMO. And of course, TJ's sells it cheaper than anywhere else.

They sell Niman Ranch bacon, ham steaks and pre-cooked bbq ribs at other stores. I imagine this store will have them eventually, if they are not there already. Niman Ranch bacon--applewood smoked--is excellent, IMO. And of course, TJ's sells it cheaper than anywhere else.
Yes, the Niman Ranch ham steak I picked up on Friday was quite delish!

I almost picked up the same one! Had to restrain myself, though, as I already had a large jar of honey and butter to go with the figs and bagels I picked up yesterday. (not in that order specifically :) ) Did you get the Grade B? Let me know how it is if you did! Ever since I've been buying my syrup from a vendor I found at one of the Sugarloaf Crafts festivals, out of Western Mass, I won't go back to anything but the Grade B. (The organic TJ's Grade B was 5.99 for 12 oz, and the Canadian one was $7.99.)
Yes I did. I opened it when I got home and dabbed a little bit on my finger before putting it in the fridge. Tastes just like maple syrup to me. I suppose there are people out there who would sneer at the Grade B Dark Amber, but who cares? This isn't Log Cabin, Mrs. Butterworth's, or some generic store brand, all of which tout that they contain "at least 2%" REAL maple syrup. Screw 'em.

Yes I did. I opened it when I got home and dabbed a little bit on my finger before putting it in the fridge. Tastes just like maple syrup to me. I suppose there are people out there who would sneer at the Grade B Dark Amber, but who cares? This isn't Log Cabin, Mrs. Butterworth's, or some generic store brand, all of which tout that they contain "at least 2%" REAL maple syrup. Screw 'em.

In Vermont, the maple syrup connoisseurs go for the pale grade AA or grade A, which requires greater care in the sugar house. Truth be told, grade B has more intense and powerful flavor. More bang for your buck. When a friend from Vermont comes to visit, she always brings me a can of grade A fancy syrup. When I'm buying, though, I get TJ's grade B.

In Vermont, the maple syrup connoisseurs go for the pale grade AA or grade A, which requires greater care in the sugar house. Truth be told, grade B has more intense and powerful flavor. More bang for your buck. When a friend from Vermont comes to visit, she always brings me a can of grade A fancy syrup. When I'm buying, though, I get TJ's grade B.
Yeah, I long ago thought that something weird was up. Let's start a group who DEMANDS Grade B. That oughta throw a spanner in the works. :)

Did you get the Grade B? Let me know how it is if you did! Ever since I've been buying my syrup from a vendor I found at one of the Sugarloaf Crafts festivals, out of Western Mass, I won't go back to anything but the Grade B.

Hooked on that Berkshire Sweet Gold syrup too, eh? Great stuff...but I gotta use up my stash of TJ's Grade A first.

Here is some info on maple syrup grades.

Grade A Light Amber, is very light and has a mild, more delicate maple flavor. It is usually made earlier in the season when the weather is colder. This is the best grade for making maple candy and maple cream.

Grade A Medium Amber, is a bit darker, and has a bit more maple flavor. It is the most popular grade of table syrup, and is usually made after the sugaring season begins to warm, about mid-season.

Grade A Dark Amber, is darker yet, with a stronger maple flavor. It is usually made later in the season as the days get longer and warmer.

Grade B, sometimes called Cooking Syrup, is made late in the season, and is very dark, with a very strong maple flavor, as well as some caramel flavor. Although many people use this for table syrup; because of its strong flavor, it's often used for cooking, baking, and flavoring in special foods.

Keep the firsthand reports coming! I'm looking forward to trying the place out and can always use a little guidance on specific bargain products, noncrowded shopping times, etc. If they have the lime-grapefruit-orange marmalade they used to have at the Bethesda TJ's I'll be in heaven, but even without it, sounds like there are good bargains to be had.

Don't neglect to stock up on Cowboy lump hardwood charcoal for late fall, winter and early spring grilling. They consider it to be a "seasonal" item and don't carry it after what they deem is the summer season, has passed. It's just about impossible to get an absolute fix on the date of the last shipment, however. I tried last year, and blew it. Had to buy Cowboy at Strosnider's at about 3x the price I paid at TJ's.

Keep the firsthand reports coming! I'm looking forward to trying the place out and can always use a little guidance on specific bargain products, noncrowded shopping times, etc. If they have the lime-grapefruit-orange marmalade they used to have at the Bethesda TJ's I'll be in heaven, but even without it, sounds like there are good bargains to be had.

Oh, yeah. The wine! I bought a tasty bottle of Chablis Premier Cru 2002 for $13.99. They had a the same producer's Chablis Village for $9.99! That's less than I pay for Chablis at wholesale for the restaurant.

They had this wine for only $8.99. Picked up a bottle, but haven't tried it yet.

Marques de Casa Concha, Puemo (Chile) Merlot 2004 ($19, Excelsior): Three years ago, this wine from Concha y Toro was pretty clearly the best Merlot in the world for $15. The 2004 is as good as the 2001, which means that this is an extraordinary wine, though now it is just a great value rather than a mind-blowing value. The less negative spin on this is of course that this is an excellent wine and a great value at the pretty affordable price of $19, so off we go: Impressively dark color is followed by very expressive aromas of black cherries and plums, with nice accents of cedar and saddle leather. There's very little overt wood atop the beautiful fruit, which is totally winning. 91 Michael Franz

There are some fairly ridiculous good deals to be had at TJ's. Friday evening, the place was busy but not packed, and although the checkout line was completely doubled over, it didn't even take 10 minutes for me to get through. I've waited longer at Safeway behind a single person. Seriously.

Clif Bars are $.99, which is at least 30 cents cheaper than I've seen them elsewhere, and other than that, it's like everything's $1.50. Toblerone? $1.50. Two single-serving packs of frozen steel-cut oatmeal with cranberries? $1.50. Pierogi? I'm pretty sure that was $1.50 too. The only things that cost me more than $2 were figs ($3.50), Greek yogurt ($4), and wine ($6.99).

Cheese prices look pretty decent, and I think they'll fill a niche -- the cheeses are of better quality than the Giant/Safeway/etc but cheaper than Whole Foods/Cheesetique/Cowgirl. I forget exactly what the price was on a big hunk of black wax cheddar, but it was in the neighborhood of $3.

I have the feeling I'm going to be there frequently.

Stopped by Trader Joe's this Sunday afternoon - inquiring minds need to be informed! By the way - good parking! There is only one level and you enter on 25th st. I thought the cheese selection was very good, and very classic Trader Joe style : Fabulous sauces to pair with just about anything. Also - don't miss out on the Italian Gelato at 3.99 a quart, which is less than what I paid for a pint the other day. Its great! The same organic milk you can buy at Harris Teeter - for a $1.50 less a quart.

They carry some odd stuff that goes in and out of stock very quickly. Yesterday I saw freeze dried mangosteens (?) The other day they had boxes of microgreens, which was cool. They were gone the next day, though, and don't seem to be returning.

I was there yesterday, and they were out of stock on the Marques de Casa Concha Merlot. I was curious about the mangosteens, so I bit--don't bother. Weird texture-- sort of like freeze dried marshmallows. They had maitake mushrooms (also called hen of the woods), which I haven't seen before at a Trader Joe's. Unfortunately, they didn't look to be in great condition, so I bought shiitakes and criminis instead.

Two single-serving packs of frozen steel-cut oatmeal with cranberries? $1.50.
I tried this - only my store (Old Town) didn't have the cranberries... I got maple/brown sugar. Not impressed - I was less attentive to the second half of the microwave cooking (2 minutes, stir, another 1 - 1 1/2 minutes) and wound up with a big oatmeal mess. The portion size was pretty big, but there wasn't a lot of flavor.

For microwave cereal, I prefer the Kashi GoLean Instant Hot Cereal w/Clusters. 8-10 packages are around $2.50. There's still the potential for a boilover, but the taste is much better!

When I have time, I absolutely prefer the McCann's steel-cut, slow cook stuff!