522 replies to this topic

#501 sandynva

sandynva

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

oh, thank you very much for checking for me, it was very kind of you!
the triple ginger choc cookies are good? excellent! i bought a package of those and the choc covered caramellows as the new treats to try this year and am looking forward to them. i do love their seasonal treats like the salted caramel chocolate cookies and peppermint pretzel slims, and every year i try a couple of new ones. (if you havent tried the pumpkin maccarons, and they still have them, you definitely should!)

has anyone tried the chocolate covered shortbread stars? i was tempted, but the last time i bought the shortbread cookies with the dollop of chocolate in the center i was dissapointed in the shortbread.

#502 weezy

weezy

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

I tried the dark chocolate 3x ginger cookies and didn't like them. I don't think even very good dark chocolate is a good pairing with the intense ginger of those cookies.

Now, the sea salt dark choc cashew brittle is to die for!

Louise Comninaki

Lady Goodknife, LLC

a knife & scissor sharpening service

ladygoodknife at gmail dot com

#503 Mark Slater

Mark Slater

@WinosaurusRex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

The Highbrow Chocolate Chip cookies are identical in flavor and quality to Tate's Bakeshop cookies for a buck less.

Beverage Manager, Bastille 1201 N. Royal St., Alexandria, VA

manager@bastillerestaurant.com

http://www.bastillerestaurant.com

#504 sandynva

sandynva

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

I love the highbrow cookies! i also think they taste pretty close to what you get when you bake the TJ's frozen dough. The cashew brittle sounds great too.

#505 MsDiPesto

MsDiPesto

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

has anyone tried the chocolate covered shortbread stars? i was tempted, but the last time i bought the shortbread cookies with the dollop of chocolate in the center i was dissapointed in the shortbread.

Yes, I had them last year, and I have a box of this years, they are pretty good.

A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch. - James Beard

#506 goldenticket

goldenticket

Oompa Loompa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:58 PM

I tried the dark chocolate 3x ginger cookies and didn't like them. I don't think even very good dark chocolate is a good pairing with the intense ginger of those cookies.

I do like the ginger cookies better on their own, but the chocolate covered ones were a nice treat.

Yes, I had them last year, and I have a box of this years, they are pretty good.

I agree about the chocolate covered shortbread cookies - I like them too :)

Jackie B.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Wonka/Dahl/O'Shaughnessy

#507 goodeats

goodeats

Certified geek.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

Sea salt butterscotch caramels are the find of the day. Little solace for this tough day but a good find....
  • thistle likes this
Taste. Feel. Be comforted.

Am not a fan of finding out that I started a new topic...

Oh ply me with barley,
Or ply me with rye,
Just don't expect to hear
A coherent goodbye.

Twitter

#508 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,762 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

I have some good news for frustrated apricot lovers like me, who grew up eating tree-ripened, sweet juicy apricots from California backyard trees. This morning, Trader Joe's was selling "Angelcot" white apricots. I tried one in the store, and the juice was dripping down my arm, so I went back and got a couple more boxes. Very sweet. Flavor could have more depth, but hey, when all you can usually find on the east coast is slightly sour, flannel-textured 'cots these are very special. They'll probably sell out fast, so don't get mad at me if you wait a few days and they are gone.

#509 Choirgirl21

Choirgirl21

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

Just finished off a package of confetti rice (it's the rice in the frozen section with lemongrass, ginger, small slices of baby corn, etc.). I don't know what it is about this stuff, but I find it totally addictive. Add to that that I haven't eaten rice for about 6 months and this was a real treat. I always used to serve it alongside their beef bulgogi, which takes all of 2 seconds to sear off in a hot hot pan for a super quick dinner.

Jen, part time pourer at Black Ankle Vineyards

If not LOCALLY PRODUCED, then Organic.
If not ORGANIC, then Family farm.
If not FAMILY FARM, then Local business.
If not a LOCAL BUSINESS, then Fair Trade.

#510 goldenticket

goldenticket

Oompa Loompa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:54 PM

It's that special time of year... Les Candy Cane Joe Joe's sont arrivés!
Along with all the other holiday goodies that I really don't need.
  • laniloa and sandynva like this

Jackie B.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Wonka/Dahl/O'Shaughnessy

#511 bettyjoan

bettyjoan

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

It's that special time of year... Les Candy Cane Joe Joe's sont arrivés!
Along with all the other holiday goodies that I really don't need.

Hooray!  I was just thinking I needed to stop by and stock up on the limited time goodies.  Mmmm, sea salt caramels...

Betty Thurber Rhoades
http://hungrytriathlete.wordpress.com/

#512 TheMatt

TheMatt

Man Among Men

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:22 PM

Don't forget the Sipping Chocolate!

TheMatt
Certified Nerd and Oh So Boring...

#513 astrid

astrid

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

The new-to-me assorted macarons are fabulous.  The SweeTango apples are also very nice - crisp and tart/sweet like Honeycrisp, but better flavor and texture.

#514 ozgirl

ozgirl

clam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:44 PM

It's also pfefferneuse (sp?) season, which makes me very happy.  nothing like not one coating of sugar, but two -- iced layer, then a powdered sugar layer.

the lack of vegetarian meatballs is now starting to settle in, however.  since TJ's announced that they needed to change their supplier about a month ago, i was using my stash sparingly, but have now run out.  i tried to stock up when i heard the news, but was too late. i don't know why a new supplier is needed, but i'm hoping that they find one soon - and that can provide the same product.  they were so good!  a meat eater probably wouldn't confuse them for beef, but were pretty darn close.  

#515 thistle

thistle

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for reminding me I haven't been to TJs in a couple of months, & I need triple ginger cookies, feta dressing, random salsas, TJ hefeweizen, & probably lots of other stuff.

#516 ktmoomau

ktmoomau

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:25 PM

Thanks for your posts guys, I love Honeycrisp apples and will look for SweeTango.  I also am saddened by the loss of the meatless meatballs, I eat meat, but really liked them.  

But I learned fast how to keep my head up 'cause I
Know I got this side of me that
Wants to grab the yoke from the pilot and just
Fly the whole mess into the sea. The Shins
www.rrbmdk.com
www.katelintaylor.com

#517 Rhone1998

Rhone1998

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:01 PM

I think their dark chocolate peanut butter cups are one of the best sweets I've tried from TJ's in a long while.  They are quite addictive. 

--
Dan

#518 bettyjoan

bettyjoan

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:06 AM

Checked out the 14th Street TJ's yesterday afternoon - the store itself is pretty nice (the aisles seemed a bit wider than the West End store, though it was still crowded and tough to maneuver sometimes), and the staff were great, as always.  The parking is a nightmare - they have a teeny tiny lot underground, which looks to be a small sliver of the Louis apartment parking deck, and it is TIGHT.  Even compact cars were having trouble getting into the spaces, and the turns are really dangerous.  I am not sure the closer-to-me location is worth the anxiety attack.  Great news for folks who live in the neighborhood, though.

Betty Thurber Rhoades
http://hungrytriathlete.wordpress.com/

#519 TheMatt

TheMatt

Man Among Men

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:07 AM

The parking is a nightmare - they have a teeny tiny lot underground, which looks to be a small sliver of the Louis apartment parking deck, and it is TIGHT.  Even compact cars were having trouble getting into the spaces, and the turns are really dangerous.  I am not sure the closer-to-me location is worth the anxiety attack. 

I think it's the corporate policy of the overlords at Aldi that Trader Joe's (Joe's's? Joes?) can only be located in areas with badly-designed parking lots with not enough spaces. I've noticed the same phenomenon with warehouse clubs.

I figure if Trader Joe's ever opened a warehouse club variant, it would have only one parking space...and that would be for a handicapped placarded motorcycle.

• Pat, Al the Pal, MsDiPesto and 2 others like this

TheMatt
Certified Nerd and Oh So Boring...

#520 MsDiPesto

MsDiPesto

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:23 PM

The Falls Church TJs on Rt. 7 is now open until 10pm. I don't know if that's every day, so check before you journey there. 

A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch. - James Beard

#521 ozgirl

ozgirl

clam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:11 AM

Thanks for your posts guys, I love Honeycrisp apples and will look for SweeTango.  I also am saddened by the loss of the meatless meatballs, I eat meat, but really liked them.  

Just noticed the other day that the meatless meatballs are back!  Assuming the recipe is still the same, It is a happy day in the ozgirl household.

• sandynva likes this

#522 Barbara

Barbara

Heretic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:39 AM

Just noticed the other day that the meatless meatballs are back!  Assuming the recipe is still the same, It is a happy day in the ozgirl household.

I just picked some up a week or so ago. The brand we used to like was discontinued by both WF and Yes! Gourmet some time ago. These actually compared very favorably to frozen (real) meatballs Dame Edna bought. I hope this is something they will continue to carry.

#523 MsDiPesto

MsDiPesto

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:44 PM

Avoid the new product; "Pork Rib Bites in BBQ sauce". for $4.99, you get a bag of bones with a tiny bit of meat on them submerged in a candy-sweet BBQ sauce. I really didn't like them, and threw most of it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users