deangold

What Are You Drinking Right Now?

1,941 posts in this topic

Berta Moscato Grappa following a bottle of Albert Mann 2001 Gewurztraminer.

Last night: Quintarelli Rosso Merlo 1997, Paolo Bea Santa Chiara 2004, Podere Colla 2000 Bussia Barolo, Le Macioche Brunello 1999

Chassagne Montrachet, J.N. Gagnard, 1er cru "Clos de la Maltroye," 1999.

Payroll is made much easier.

And hours seem like seconds.

I just finished my last glass of 96 Pommard 1er Cru “Grand Epenots” Michel Gaunoux. It is still a baby, but a lovely one at that.

Old Grand Dad 114 proof, from the National Distillers days. Richer, rounder, spicier, fuller than the (admittedly delightful) current-era bottling. Love those dusty bottles!

1999 Il Palazzone, Brunello di Montalcino Riserva. 505 cases made.

Intense aromas of cedar and ripe fruit, with raspberry and toasty oak. Full-bodied, with sweet, silky tannins and a long rich wonderful finish. Pretty and refined. In short, it is awesome :lol:

www.IlPalazzone.com

Tre bicchierri from Gambero Rosso, too.

Mmmmmm. How long before a "whim"sical whiskey tasting? I'd conduct one, and DanielK could supply the brogue-ish ones.........

Mmmmmm.  How long before a "whim"sical whiskey tasting?  I'd conduct one, and DanielK could supply the brogue-ish ones.........
I'll bring all the crap anybody can find at any liquor store in the world as the control! :lol:

As for tonight: Ovaltine is love.

Now I'm onto some 2003 Paolo Petrilli "Ferraù" from Apulia (Daunia IGT Lucera) 50% Sangiovese and 50% Nero de Troia.

This is wonderfully esoteric stuff. Very rich and plummy, with some great soil-driven flavors and a sage-like aspect that I am really in love with. I can't recall ever having another Italian wine quite like it. If I had to serve an Italian red to either Peter Pastan or Randall Grahm, this would be a prime candidate. It's very young and has me somewhat enthralled with its particular flavor profile.

I'd buy this for $30.

2004 Insoglio del Cinghale, Campo di Sasso, Bibbona, Tuscany IGT

(insert hoity toity tasting note thingamajigs)

Now I'm onto the COS Cerasuolo di Vittoria from Bastonaca, Vittoria (RG) South-East Sicily.

This is a blend of Frappato (40%) and Nero d’Avola (60%) and let me tell you, this is a crowd-pleasing red with loads of character yet still refined enough to be civilized. The aromas and flavors just LEAP from the glass and this may be my favorite new red under $25. I'm enthralled.

It's all done in stainless steel and unfiltered, and even farmed biodynamically.

Color me impressed.

Mmmmmm.  How long before a "whim"sical whiskey tasting?  I'd conduct one, and DanielK could supply the brogue-ish ones.........

If we don't do something in a private home, we could always do a field trip to the Royal Mile Pub in Wheaton. Food's decent (for bar food), and they have something like 75 whiskys available...

My home collection is actually all highland malts at the moment, which makes for an interesting comparison, but doesn't really span the field. Nothing to really challenge the palate (Laphroaig, Talisker, etc.)

A bottle of Ridge barbera 97 Dry Creek. This is an ATP bottling. Wonderous barbera! Full, good acidity, rich with berry fruit and yet a little spicy and earthy Perfect with our burgers with Blu di Moncenisio. Followed by Ciara di Moscato Roso by Poli. We watched "Living in Harmony", an episode of the prisoner for you old farts out there!

Last night, a dram of Lagavulin. (I'm an island malt lover, all the way.)

Tonight, a late-night glass of 2001 Penfold's St. Henri shiraz. Very nice.

2006 Dunkin Donuts, Freshly Brewed. Vienna, Virginia. 20 ounces. Only 12 cups made. Excellent, with hints of hazelnut and splenda.

Coffee right now, but has anyone else here ever tried a Bloody Mary with Aquvavit (Danish spirit made with Caraway)??????

Delicious! I highly recommend.......

2006 Dunkin Donuts, Freshly Brewed. Vienna, Virginia. 20 ounces. Only 12 cups made. Excellent, with hints of hazelnut and splenda.

mmmmmmmm.... I especially love the unwashed coffee urn cuvee! :lol:

Coffee right now, but has anyone else here ever tried a Bloody Mary with Aquvavit (Danish spirit made with Caraway)??????

Delicious!  I highly recommend.......

I once made a liter of garlic/dill acquavit. It made a hell of a bloody Mary and later became so addictive that I started drinking it iced, out of small glasses.

I once made a liter of garlic/dill acquavit.  It made a hell of a bloody Mary and later became so addictive that I started drinking it iced, out of small glasses.

Sounds excellent. Did you infuse it with herb or seed?

I once made a liter of garlic/dill acquavit.  It made a hell of a bloody Mary and later became so addictive that I started drinking it iced, out of small glasses.

Would you care to share the recipe? I'd love to see it!

Would you care to share the recipe?  I'd love to see it!

My notes call for three cloves of garlic and twelve sprigs dill per liter. It should sit at least a week and can go as long as you want (Marcus Samuelsson at Acquavit says to wait at least six weeks, but I get impatient), and you can taste and adjust at will.

(No other flavorings, Heather)

My notes call for three cloves of garlic and twelve sprigs dill per liter.  It should sit at least a week and can go as long as you want (Marcus Samuelsson at Acquavit says to wait at least six weeks, but I get impatient), and you can taste and adjust at will.

(No other flavorings, Heather)

Whole garlic cloves or chopped?

Edited by Heather

Whole garlic cloves or chopped?

Whole. Looks cooler and I don't want to get little bits of raw garlic in my drink.

1985 Cabernets from Iron Horse. A cabernet sauvignon and franc blend. Alternatively spicy and smokey with hints of chocolate. Quite yummy. We were eating light (some grens and a bit of cheese) so maybe not the best setting for the wine. Next time I will try it with some pork.

2003 Toluca Lane Pinot Noir, Oregon

2001 Mt. Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa, Calif.

2002 Estancia Meritage Paso Robles, Calif.

1992 Silver Oak, Napa, Calif.

Hey, I,m working here! :lol:

Just going downstairs now for a nip of Berta Grappa di Moscato. Just the thing to counter the lingering burn from lunch at Joe's Noodle House (Dry sauteed beef and kimchee)!

Tough day at the quarry -

Reward?

1994 Philip Togni Cabernet Sauvignon

In a real wine glass, no less (no jelly jars tonight)

After a long day, we were enjoying some Korean at home from Han An Ruem (Kalbi, spicy pork, several types of Kim Chee). We polished off the last of our Aperol. Aperol is owned by the company that brings in Campai but they refuse to import it to the US. It used to be here a while back but now no more. And with my next trip to Italy not being until October.....

Any how... Aperol is a citrusy aperitif with a lightly bitter edge. Went great with our spicy stuff!

The 2004 vintage of Shea Wine Cellars Pinot Noir "Shea Vineyard" (2003 seen here)

courtesy of Mr. Robert McFarland :lol:

swc_2003block32.gif

Edited by Joe Riley

The 2004 vintage of Shea Wine Cellars Pinot Noir "Shea Vineyard" (2003 seen here)

courtesy of Mr. Robert McFarland  :lol:

swc_2003block32.gif

The '04 Shea Vineyard pinot from Ken Wright Cellars is pretty damned tasty, too.

The '04 Shea Vineyard pinot from Ken Wright Cellars is pretty damned tasty, too.

I'll happily take you at your word for it and give you a report, Mark - thanks! :lol:

Unibroue Édition 2005. At the Engineer's Ball after-party at the TJ Suite in the Mariott (Not that I WENT to the e-Ball this year). From a red Solo cup. At this point I'm out of both badges and guns.

Pish. Call Touton and get some Tesseron 1929. That's the real deal.

Now wait a tic - Germain Robin, especially the X.O. is shattering stuff. Better than anything I've had in X.O. Cognac. because, as you know, it's made with better fruit.

I'd take it over Louis XIII any day, that's for sure.

Last night with Seared Scallops.

2003 Ramey Hyde Vineyard Chardonnay. In my oppinion one of the best california chards out there. I would put this up with Aubert, and Kistler single vineyards in a second. If you can find it buy it.

2004 Gilbert PICQ & ses Fils Chablis

Yum!

After being in the Aussie wine biz for a while, I love me some white Burgundy!

Kind of a belated entry [little Milagro, little Sauza], but long story short sangrita is hard to get out of a wine glass when it's been sitting in the sink and has dried.

Last night... a little Murray McDavid Aushroisk (misspelled undoubtedly). Peat, iodine yet smooth. Nice stuff indeed. Also a spot of Marco deBartoli 10 year old Madiera

Thanks to the incredible generostiy of Joe Riley....

Ridge Montebello 1990, 1991, 1992

Thanks to Daniel of Domaine Select;

Movia Sauvignon (trying to explain this wine is like trying to explain sex to a virgin, until you taste it you will never know how good it actually is), Castel in Villa 1998 Riserva somethning or other (superb), a Val d'Aosta white that I hope to remember in a less drunken state.

:lol: Now off to finish inventory.... I am glad I studied imaginary numbers in college :huh:

Thanks to the incredible generosity of Dean Gold, I was able to bring those Montebellos to Dino and enjoy them with excellent food, as God and Paul Draper intended (my steak was a particularly luscious accompaniment to the wine).

In my opinion, and having zero frame of reference for older Montebello, the '91 was the rock star, yet even now still shows years of potential growth ahead of it. The '90 was okay but still seemed young for a 16 year-old California Cabernet Sauvignon (I believe the cork may have crumbled on that one). The '92 seemed very reserved but still had lovely top notes of fruit. All in all, an outstanding education in what Decanter magazine has called "the Latour of California". The pedigree is impeccable. I'll take this wine over most of those more expensive, rare "mailing-list" Cabs (with a pedigree measured in weeks, not years) any day of the week.

The Chianti Classico Riserva '98 that Mr. Daniel Hubbard provided was extremely well-balanced in my estimation. I kept getting a lovely aspect of mint from it, not overpowering just very pleasant.

That Les Crêtes Petite Arvine 2004 from Vallée d'Aoste (I hope I'm not leaving out a crucial bit of info here) was a minerally charmer, an off-the-beaten-path kind of wine (usually something that captivates my imagination) and once again, my paradigm for what good Italian white wine can be was shifted to include this. I hope to write more about it when I'm more informed and sober.

The Movia Sauvignon 2003 was my second time tasting this wine, and my second time being knocked on my ass by how stunning it was. As I explained to Dean at the time, it's such a delight to be minding one's own business and tasting Sauvignon, thinking how much you understand all of it's best aspects (Loire, Graves, St. Bris, Collio, Austria, New Zealand, South African..) and then you discover yet another amazing facet to the grape heretofore unrealized. I will have this wine in my store within the next 45 days and you can experience this phenomenon for yourself. Mark your calendars!

Cuba Libre: 2005 Bacardi Select, Coke, lime from a lime-shaped squeeze bottle. 2005 was a good year for squeeze-bottle lime.

2003 Worthy "Sophia's Cuvee" - good juice from Gus Kalaris with lots of yummy/jammy black fruits with good balance and a decent finish at a reasonable price. A wonderful combination.

Scott

Ridge Montebello that has been sititng in a decanter for almost 24 hours! The 91 was soft and a little funky. The 90 is still firm and now a little silky, with no off odors or even any signs of acquired bottle bouquet. You could mistake this for a new release cab with a 20-30 year future ahead of it. The 92 is exotic with a touch of volatility coming out now, but silky and smooth finally. Either the 90 or 92, with 24 hours airtime are freaking amazing!

Also... Paolo Bea San Valentino Rosso di Montefalco 2000. Yum!

2003 Worthy "Sophia's Cuvee" - good juice from Gus Kalaris with lots of yummy/jammy black fruits with good balance and a decent finish at a reasonable price.

If $29.99/bottle can be considered "reasonable".

Ridge Montebello that has been sititng in a decanter for almost 24 hours!  The 91 was soft and a little funky.  The 90 is still firm and now a little silky, with no off odors or even any signs of acquired bottle bouquet.  You could mistake this for a new release cab with a 20-30 year future ahead of it.  The 92 is exotic with a touch of volatility coming out now, but silky and smooth finally.  Either the 90 or 92, with 24 hours airtime are freaking amazing!

Color me officially jealous :lol:

Also... Paolo Bea San Valentino Rosso di Montefalco 2000.  Yum!

Bea is the bizzomb, yo.

If $29.99/bottle can be considered "reasonable".

Got mine for $24.99 - just under the arbitrary "reasonable" bar of $25. More of a "value" I suppose. :lol:

Scott

Finished up the night with some Barbara d'Alba from Ca' Rome: 2001 Gamberaja which is drinking really well right now.

Then, a bit, just a wee bit :lol: , of XO from G-R. I think I've gone a week without any grappa. Just to show I can do it!

Edited by deangold

A relatively decent sidecar. Rates a 'yeah, basically...' on my 'If i paid money for this at a restaurant, would I be happy with it' scale.

Finished up the night with some Barbara d'Alba from Ca' Rome: 2001 Gamberaja which is drinking really well right now.

Then, a bit, just a wee bit  :lol: , of XO from G-R.  I think I've gone a week without any grappa.  Just to show I can do it!

Dean, I knew that I liked you for a reason :huh: That's one of of my favorite Barberas (and one of my favorite Piedmont growers) and Germain-Robin X.O. is truly a delight - I'd still eather drink that than Louis XIII or any other big-name cognac.

From the "I guess you could, but...." files, I subject you to:

Not The Dogsled

3/4 oz Yukon Jack

3/4 oz Canadian Club

1/2 oz Gran Gala

1/2 oz Lemon juice

Alright, it was supposed to be entirely Yukon Jack, right? No, wait...come back! Thank you...And be called The Dogsled. But I didn't have as much Yukon Jack as I thought (it's popular at parties, you see. LATE into parties, mind, but still....popular), so I was like "I need something else that's Canadian or the drink won't be thematically sound anymore!"

Long story short...this isn't bad! <_< Little sweet, little sour. More Yukon Jack, less on the Gran Gala. Maybe on the rocks with soda instead of up. I give it 6.5 stars out of a possible 10.5.

I am hoping for a little pity here -

After travelling to the food and wine Mecca of Knoxville Tennesse, and struggling to find a room to sleep, I am in the "Honeymoon Suite" (did I mention ALONE?) at the Comfort Suites here by the airport. $100/night and worth every slimy penny since I have a delightful "SearsPaintSale-Red" colored HEART SHAPED (translate: spare no expense on ambiance) jaccuzzi in the middle of my room. I shudder to think of the blissful-romantic nights out here on rte 129N outside of the airport in the "Honeymoon Suite" of Comfort Suites....

So with that, I set the mood:

I had my Subway turkey sandwich that hit the mark for mediocrity (I hate that weird shredded lettuce thing!) And now, I sink blissfully into a glass of Marquis Philips 2004 Shiraz in one of those lovely styrofoam cups.

Anyone care to join me?

Olivia, I am here with crystal glass in hand filled with Domaine des Blagueurs Syrah 2003 , the Eurodoon import from Minervois of Bonny Doon Vineyards:

I toast to your solitude with a French wine with attitude, imported by a very cool dude <_< White pepper, anise and cassis flavors here.

Now get in that tub and hit the bubble button and c-h-i-l-l ;)

Maybe Mark Slater will fill in the details, but there was a champagne cuvee that runs maybe 500 cases and combined the toasty flavor of a well-aged vintage champagne with the sparkle of something just out of the caves. Veuve something (not Cliquot). A couple bottle of Savennieres, but not just any Savennieres, but an area with its own appellation. It was the color of honey and just as the honeusuckle nose came up through the glass, the tart granite-and-chalk-anchored chenin blanc flavor came through and if it had't been so delicate my face might have melted with joy. A Latricieres Chambertin, 2002, that made me remember why Burgundy is important. A Condrieu that tasted of flowers and young love, ordered by accident -- we just wanted a glass, but the bottle was undeniable. And then some Banyuls with the chocolate. And somebody else paid!

You can spend a boatload of money on mediocre wine, even if you have some clue what you're doing. That's why, whatever the wine markup is at Citronelle, it is worth it -- I don't think I've ever had so extraordinary a run of wines in a single evening, and Slater's palate and dedication to his list and his customers are the reason.

Brokers gin giboson, gently chilled, served up. "Shaken not stirred" may be how James Bond ordered his martini's, but all shaking does is water down a drink. A gently stirred martini/gibson made with this handcrafted small batch gin is a thing of beauty.

E.T.A. I drank this last night... I am not hitting the cocktail circut at noon.... just yet!

2002 Alto Moncayo which is 100% grenache and 15.5% alcohol. Delicious. In truth this is part of a 12 bottle mixed case which I received yesterday from the Wine Library. All Spanish, all Parker 90 points or above. Yes, I know, a terrible way to buy wine but I (as in the past) have bought twelve different bottles and will judge future purchases by what I think of this. Last night I opened a bottle of 2001 Masia Carreras Costa Brava Emporada which Parker gave 94 points to. $27.99. Three friends of mine and I gave it about an hour or so and it opened really nicely. First thirty minutes it was closed and we were very critical of it. On our second glass, in the second hour we began to agree with Parker. Of course, for $34.99, we expected a fairly serious wine. Neither of these are worth buying another bottle of. Rather, the 2002 Sierra Cantabria Cuvee Especial for $16.99 and the 2003 Altos de Luzon for $13.99 (from Paul's-the Wine Library is now sold out) were each worth the half dozen cases that myself and several friends purchased. Anyway, there's another 10 bottles in this case and over the next week or so we'll drink all of them.

Just finishing up a 2002 Vision Cellars Sonoma County Pinot Noir. An excellent wine, particularly at $24.99. For some reason, Vision doesn't have the buzz of some other relatively new Pinot producers, but they make a buch of real good wines.

2000 La Mission Haut Brion. I poured this at a fund raiser on Saturday, and it tastes even better tonight. I can only imagine what this is going to be like in twenty years.

2000 La Mission Haut Brion.  I poured this at a fund raiser on Saturday, and it tastes even better tonight.  I can only imagine what this is going to be like in twenty years.

Well, don't have anymore of that. And I'll stay off of the Robitussin. <_< Night!

Well, don't have anymore of that. And I'll stay off of the Robitussin.  ;)    Night!

Sorry, I only had a half bottle and my wife demanded half of it. <_<

edited: by half bottle I mean half of a whole bottle that had been opened this weekend. Last night was the very young but drinkable remainder of the 2002 Mouton, hmm Mouton.

A 1995 Thomas Hardy Ale. This can scantly be called a beer, it is more like a fine sherry. There were few suds, and a lovely wine like finish. I am happy that I have five more of these, I can only imagine how they are going to taste in the years to come.

Ahhhh in the comfort of my own home - after travelling through Tennessee this past week, and a downright scarring experience outside of Knoxville (see my post about the hot tub - I don't dare think of the germs!) AND a hell of a flight from Atlanta tonight, I opened a bottle of Elderton Shiraz 2002 - actually quite delicious - and I am certain I will sleep well!

I will have sugar plums, black cherries, raspberries, tobacco, eucalypt and spice dancing through my head!

Old Taylor, bottled-in-bond, distilled spring 1972 DSP-KY-19 (the last distillation season for the original Old Taylor distillery), bottled fall 1982. Brilliant, complex, deep, honeyed, spicy.

1+1=3 Penedes. And when that was done, Smirnoff Triple Distilled. Happiness. ;) Let's see how long I stay online. Or at least spell correctly. <_<

There were too many to remember, but what struck me were the 1970 BV Reserve. There were 3 bottles. Each bottle was very differnt. The first went down the drain the second was sipped but ignored, and the third was stunningly beautiful.

A 2003 Domain Du Chene Condrieu. In some ways it is good that these luscious wines cost so damned much, or I would drink them with every meal.

Berta Moscato Grappa.... Yum!

This brings up the bottle of Saracco Moscato D'Asti 1996 we have had ever since Craig hit the close-out sale at a wholesalers in DC several years ago. Does this stuff get better with age, or should we find an excuse to drink it RIGHT NOW?

This brings up the bottle of Saracco Moscato D'Asti 1996 we have had ever since Craig hit the close-out sale at a wholesalers in DC several years ago.  Does this stuff get better with age, or should we find an excuse to drink it RIGHT NOW?

Distilled spirits only improve in the barrel. They will remain stable in the bottle, unopened for years (indefinitely?). Once opened there is a slight reduction in their aromatic quality over time.

On second reqading, it this a moscato d'asti wine or a grappa di moscato d'asti? If the latter, its meant to be drunk you and you have an experiement on your hands.

Last night:

2003 Kosta Brown Kanzler Vineyard Pinot Noir

Tonight:

Either a 2003 Saxum Bone Rock Syrah or a 2002 Martinelli Bondi Home Ranch Pinot Noir

A 2003 Domain Du Chene Condrieu.  In some ways it is good that these luscious wines cost so damned much, or I would drink them with every meal.

Hanging out at Citronelle?

Don't I wish, I picked up a case a couple weeks ago.

Life isn't so bad if you you have a case of that hanging around. Our favorite sommelier, Mark Slater recomends it highly. As do -- with substantially less crediblity -- I.

Life isn't so bad if you you have a case of that hanging around.  Our favorite sommelier, Mark Slater recomends it highly.  As do -- with substantially less crediblity -- I.

I blew my entire wine budget until July on 3 cases from the importer who brings it in. The other two cases were Burgundies (where a little goes a long way to killing one's budget).

2002 Mitolo* Shiraz Savitar. I thought that this was going to be a total fruit bomb, but I was pleasently surprised that it was not. This is a delightful wine that reminds me more of a Northern Rhone than a Southern Australian. I would drink this over a Mitolo GAM any day.

*Mitolo also makes a wonderful olive oil. I was lucky enought to be given a bottle as a gift from my vintner. If you can find a bottle I highly recommend picking one up.

2001 Leonetti Merlot. The mid and late '90's vintages were exemplery; starting with 2000 there seems to have been a drop off. Given the former cult statis of this wine (which is now available on various wine shop shelves in Seattle) in combination with the ascension of Washington state wines Leonetti may have suffered a bit. The last several years I have not ordered my full allocation (I've been on their mailing list since about 1991) especially since they're asking $65 for a bottle of good but no better merlot.

After 30 minutes this has improved. But not enough to warrant that price. Leonetti Merlot, Cab and Reserve Cab are very good wines; but they have fallen a bit-perhaps quite a bit-since the Wine Spectator called them "America's best merlot." At $30 I would buy a case of this. At $65, well, that's worth some thought.

After 90+ minutes this sucker is delicious!!! $65 seems a bargain!

Edited by Joe H