What Are You Drinking Right Now?

deangold

1999 Il Palazzone, Brunello di Montalcino Riserva. 505 cases made.

Intense aromas of cedar and ripe fruit, with raspberry and toasty oak. Full-bodied, with sweet, silky tannins and a long rich wonderful finish. Pretty and refined. In short, it is awesome :lol:

www.IlPalazzone.com

Tre bicchierri from Gambero Rosso, too.

Mmmmmm.  How long before a "whim"sical whiskey tasting?  I'd conduct one, and DanielK could supply the brogue-ish ones.........
I'll bring all the crap anybody can find at any liquor store in the world as the control! :lol:

As for tonight: Ovaltine is love.

Now I'm onto some 2003 Paolo Petrilli "Ferraù" from Apulia (Daunia IGT Lucera) 50% Sangiovese and 50% Nero de Troia.

This is wonderfully esoteric stuff. Very rich and plummy, with some great soil-driven flavors and a sage-like aspect that I am really in love with. I can't recall ever having another Italian wine quite like it. If I had to serve an Italian red to either Peter Pastan or Randall Grahm, this would be a prime candidate. It's very young and has me somewhat enthralled with its particular flavor profile.

I'd buy this for $30.

Now I'm onto the COS Cerasuolo di Vittoria from Bastonaca, Vittoria (RG) South-East Sicily.

This is a blend of Frappato (40%) and Nero d’Avola (60%) and let me tell you, this is a crowd-pleasing red with loads of character yet still refined enough to be civilized. The aromas and flavors just LEAP from the glass and this may be my favorite new red under $25. I'm enthralled.

It's all done in stainless steel and unfiltered, and even farmed biodynamically.

Color me impressed.

Mmmmmm.  How long before a "whim"sical whiskey tasting?  I'd conduct one, and DanielK could supply the brogue-ish ones.........

If we don't do something in a private home, we could always do a field trip to the Royal Mile Pub in Wheaton. Food's decent (for bar food), and they have something like 75 whiskys available...

My home collection is actually all highland malts at the moment, which makes for an interesting comparison, but doesn't really span the field. Nothing to really challenge the palate (Laphroaig, Talisker, etc.)

A bottle of Ridge barbera 97 Dry Creek. This is an ATP bottling. Wonderous barbera! Full, good acidity, rich with berry fruit and yet a little spicy and earthy Perfect with our burgers with Blu di Moncenisio. Followed by Ciara di Moscato Roso by Poli. We watched "Living in Harmony", an episode of the prisoner for you old farts out there!

Coffee right now, but has anyone else here ever tried a Bloody Mary with Aquvavit (Danish spirit made with Caraway)??????

Delicious!  I highly recommend.......

I once made a liter of garlic/dill acquavit. It made a hell of a bloody Mary and later became so addictive that I started drinking it iced, out of small glasses.

Would you care to share the recipe?  I'd love to see it!

My notes call for three cloves of garlic and twelve sprigs dill per liter. It should sit at least a week and can go as long as you want (Marcus Samuelsson at Acquavit says to wait at least six weeks, but I get impatient), and you can taste and adjust at will.

(No other flavorings, Heather)

My notes call for three cloves of garlic and twelve sprigs dill per liter.  It should sit at least a week and can go as long as you want (Marcus Samuelsson at Acquavit says to wait at least six weeks, but I get impatient), and you can taste and adjust at will.

(No other flavorings, Heather)

Whole garlic cloves or chopped?

Edited by Heather

1985 Cabernets from Iron Horse. A cabernet sauvignon and franc blend. Alternatively spicy and smokey with hints of chocolate. Quite yummy. We were eating light (some grens and a bit of cheese) so maybe not the best setting for the wine. Next time I will try it with some pork.

After a long day, we were enjoying some Korean at home from Han An Ruem (Kalbi, spicy pork, several types of Kim Chee). We polished off the last of our Aperol. Aperol is owned by the company that brings in Campai but they refuse to import it to the US. It used to be here a while back but now no more. And with my next trip to Italy not being until October.....

Any how... Aperol is a citrusy aperitif with a lightly bitter edge. Went great with our spicy stuff!

Pish. Call Touton and get some Tesseron 1929. That's the real deal.

Now wait a tic - Germain Robin, especially the X.O. is shattering stuff. Better than anything I've had in X.O. Cognac. because, as you know, it's made with better fruit.

I'd take it over Louis XIII any day, that's for sure.