What Are You Drinking Right Now?

deangold

I have only kept a mini-keg around for about 10 days and so far the last beer has been as good as the first.

It probably helps that the abv on Two-Hearted is a bit higher (7%), which, at least in theory, makes it a bit more resistant to flavor degradation via oxidation. Do these mini-kegs have an expanding bubble inside to try and maintain little to no headspace, or do you just open a valve on the top and let the oxygen in as you draw?

Dom. Rene Rostaing Puech from The Languedoc by way of finewine.com in McLean. Funky, stink-weed, cherry and bacon fat taste in the very very best way. That, combined with a Caps victory over the Pens and some Drive-By Truckers on the stereo were a good antidote to a bad day.

• 2003 Match Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Butterdragon Hill - USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena (1/25/2008)
    It was a bit muted on the palate at first, but the nose was amazing! Oxygen, evergreen needles and molasses framed a delicious core of currents, black cherries and blackberries. It eventually opened up to revel wonderful layers of creme caramel and even some of that brown sugar I look for in a Match. Just a wonderful bottle of wine to complement the food. 91 points! (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2005 Saxum Heartstone Vineyard - a GSM from the Central Coast but in a very French style. Structured and young with huge potential but still delicious today.

2002 Blankiet Paradise Hills Cabernet Sauvignon - a Helen Turley special, big, rich, fruit driven red from my favorite cabernet vintage of the decade. Drinking wonderfully now and a great future ahead.

Heheh, somebody threw you in the deeeeep end. You know it's a peaty Islay when Compass Box blends it with a Speyside, and then calls the resulting whisky "the Peat Monster". Yum.

Hahaha, this was a completely self-motivated decision. When I go for it, I clearly GO FOR IT.

Still - while I suppose it's a "challenging" single malt, I loved it.

Maiden's Blush Cocktail made with Bulldog Gin, Luxardo Triplum, meyer lemon juice and Sonoma Sytup Grenadine.

For my wife I made her a Clover Club cocktail with Blue Coat Gin, meyer lemon juice, egg white, and Sonoma Syrup Grenadine, shaken hard for about 5 minutes, the body was as light as air.

Next up will be a Lemon Pid-tini, with Luxardo Lemoncello, Meyer Lemon juice (I have a crap load of very large Meyer Lemons), milk, cream, simple syrup, and Cuarenta Y Tres (Licor 43).

Next up will be a Lemon Pid-tini, with Luxardo Lemoncello, Meyer Lemon juice (I have a crap load of very large Meyer Lemons), milk, cream, simple syrup, and Cuarenta Y Tres (Licor 43).

A couple of questions occur to me. I understand why you would use cream--the lemon juice won't curdle it. Why add milk? Second question: I've never tasted Licor 43. Is it anise-flavored? If not, what does it taste like? I love lemon and especially Meyer lemon, and I'm trying to imagine what this drink would taste like.

A couple of questions occur to me. I understand why you would use cream--the lemon juice won't curdle it. Why add milk? Second question: I've never tasted Licor 43. Is it anise-flavored? If not, what does it taste like? I love lemon and especially Meyer lemon, and I'm trying to imagine what this drink would taste like.
The drink tastes like a lemon creamcicle. The milk/cream question is a good one, I started out following a recipe that called for 2 ounces of cream, but found that it was too heavy and rather fatty on the palette, so I decided to cut the cream with milk, and the body came out just right. The cream keeps the milk from curdling. The portions are 1 oz each of everything except for the Licor 43 which only has 1/2 oz.

As for Licor 43 it is a citrus/vanilla flavored liquor from Spain.

The drink tastes like a lemon creamcicle. The milk/cream question is a good one, I started out following a recipe that called for 2 ounces of cream, but found that it was too heavy and rather fatty on the palette, so I decided to cut the cream with milk, and the body came out just right. The cream keeps the milk from curdling. The portions are 1 oz each of everything except for the Licor 43 which only has 1/2 oz.

As for Licor 43 it is a citrus/vanilla flavored liquor from Spain.

But does it pair well with defeat?

I was just helping you get used to it.
I will make sure to put that bottle of Champagne in the sun for a couple of weeks before I give it to you, that is if I have to give it to you. I suspect that a Dukie could tell the difference between a good and a bad bottle of Champagne.

:mellow:

Tasted a WHOLE lotta things tonight. Let's see if I can remember them all:

Greenore 8 year-old single grain Irish whiskey

Middleton's Irish whiskey

Tyrconnel 10 year single malt Irish whiskey

Jameson 18 year Irish whiskey

Connemara peated Irish whiskey

Old New Orlean's Cajun spice rum

Blemheim Ginger Ale

Goya Ginger Ale

Barritt's Ginger Beer

Regatta Ginger Beer

Fever Tree Ginger Ale

Vernor's Ginger Ale

Depaz Cane Syrup

Elixir du Dr. Roux

Ummm... Yeah, I know I'm forgetting some things. It's late.

All in all, a very good night, though :mellow:

Tasted a WHOLE lotta things tonight. Let's see if I can remember them all:

Middleton's Irish whiskey

The most delicious Irish Whiskey I had ever tasted.
Old New Orlean's Cajun spice rum
Smells like Christmas...and despair! Seriously, the rum aged in Laphroig casks was extremely weird. Weird enough that I hope never to experience it again.
Ummm... Yeah, I know I'm forgetting some things. It's late.
You forgot the Slovakian Jagermeister. Or maybe that was on purpose? And the Aviation gin.
Mmmm, whisky(whiskey).Joe forgot to mention the Suntory and the 1987 Laphroig. :)
I missed the '87 Laphroig. :)

(P.S. Tom: click. :mellow: )

Mmmm, whisky(whiskey).Joe forgot to mention the Suntory and the 1987 Laphroig. :mellow:

I think I missed the Suntory. I didn't taste the '87 Laphroaig last night, but I've had it before, many moons ago when we sold it.

Yes, and I missed the Aviation Gin, the Slovakian jagermeister, and the other single malt that I brought and can't remember the name of (blush) It was a good night.

I have to admit, Suntory whiskies have never done much for me. But someone poured me a Nikko 15yo once at a tasting in California that was out of this world. I gather, however, that it is quite expensive.
In November I tried a Nikko 15 at a stand bar in Tokyo and found it to be quite harsh, and unapproachable. Maybe they have some bottle/batch variation. I have never seen such Scotch selections as I found at a place in the Golden Gai that according to the owner had over 350 different types along with several hundred Cognacs and Armanacs.

Coteaux du Languedoc 2003 Domain Clos du Serres "Les Maros". For the life of me I can't tease out what I'm tasting in this, but it's really, really, really good. Or maybe I just had a long day at work and drank the first glass too fast. Jake, Don, Joe...anybody? Little help? how would you describe it?

A pourly constructed Pisco Sour (get it pourly ha ha ha well if you drank as much as I have it would be funny), actually it is a little too sweet for my taste, the next time I will cut back on the amount of powdered sugar I add. But I really am liking the Macchu Pisco.

Coteaux du Languedoc 2003 Domain Clos du Serres "Les Maros". For the life of me I can't tease out what I'm tasting in this, but it's really, really, really good. Or maybe I just had a long day at work and drank the first glass too fast. Jake, Don, Joe...anybody? Little help? how would you describe it?
cherries/strawberries from the grenache. spices and a little leather from the syrah. less fruit than typical from the heat of 2003.

Oh wait, you meant one of the other joes.