Damned Fancy Wine Bottles

Mark Slater

Putting wine in bins in the cellar this afternoon, I placed the last bottle from the case in only to have the whole thing fall out at me, drenching me with pinot noir and glass shards. What's up with these bottles from California that can't stack, fit in bins, look like bowling pins or weigh 5 pounds each? Why don't the producers at least put warning labels on the boxes that say "These bottles are unstable and un-stackable"? :lol:

Putting wine in bins in the cellar this afternoon, I placed the last bottle from the case in only to have the whole thing fall out at me, drenching me with pinot noir and glass shards. What's up with these bottles from California that can't stack, fit in bins, look like bowling pins or weigh 5 pounds each? Why don't the producers at least put warning labels on the boxes that say "These bottles are unstable and un-stackable"?  :lol:

This reminds me of my "Ah-ha" moment, just about thirty years ago. What WAS that Italian white wine in the bottle shaped like a fish? Don't laugh, it was quite a step up from the dreck I had been drinking before that. Edited by Barbara

This reminds me of my "Ah-ha" moment, just about thirty years ago.  What WAS that Italian white wine in the bottle shaped like a fish?  Don't laugh, it was quite a step up from the dreck I had been drinking before that.

Don't know what it is called, but they are still selling it.

What's up with these bottles from California that can't stack, fit in bins, look like bowling pins or weigh 5 pounds each? Why don't the producers at least put warning labels on the boxes that say "These bottles are unstable and un-stackable"?  :lol:

Mark. I completely sympathize. Too many of these wineries are so determined that their bottlings 'stand out" that they create these terrible, unbalanced bottles that I can't stack in a wine bin. Many are just too top-heavy. I've had to resort to some innovative ideas to make it work, but some defy all of my efforts.

Mark. I completely sympathize.  Too many of these wineries are so determined that their bottlings 'stand out" that they create these terrible, unbalanced bottles that I can't stack in a wine bin.  Many are just too top-heavy.  I've had to resort to some innovative ideas to make it work, but some defy all of my efforts.

Haut-Brion at least tilts upward when stacked.

Try Donnhoff half-bottles sometime. They don't teeter-and-crash, but they'll glissando-slide right out of your bins.

Don't even think about bin-stacking bulb-o Champagne bottles - they'll wiggle and plummet two-high.

Cheers,

Rocks

Haut-Brion at least tilts upward when stacked.

Try Donnhoff half-bottles sometime.  They don't teeter-and-crash, but they'll glissando-slide right out of your bins.

Don't even think about bin-stacking bulb-o Champagne bottles - they'll wiggle and plummet two-high.

Cheers,

Rocks

Champagne bottles are among the worst. Alsace bottles appear to have straight sides, then BANG, all over the floor. Right about Haut-Brion, at least it stays where you put it. Some bottles are better stacked neck-in in the bins, kind of tentatively. Forget about some of the Sine qua Non bottles. I stopped buying them: too much trouble and too expensive.

Mark that is a major bummer! At least you smelled good.

Sine Qua Non doesn't last long in my house I end up drinking the stuff instead of cellaring it. Infanticide? yep but it's soo good. I hate trying to stack Turley, that's impossible. I have some Satenay as well from Pocusse D' Or that's tuff to fit in the cave.

Putting wine in bins in the cellar this afternoon, I placed the last bottle from the case in only to have the whole thing fall out at me, drenching me with pinot noir and glass shards. What's up with these bottles from California that can't stack, fit in bins, look like bowling pins or weigh 5 pounds each? Why don't the producers at least put warning labels on the boxes that say "These bottles are unstable and un-stackable"? mad.gif

These are also difficult to put in storage units. I have to often alternate shelves or wines even right next to each other front end out vs front end in to make it all work.

They do make a good home defense weapon though.