wineitup

Denver, CO

141 posts in this topic

Going to Denver for meetings next week.  Any good places I should try to get to?

If you have the time/freedom to go over to Boulder, this place sounds good: Frasca (I haven't been)

It's been a few years since I've been back, but when we lived in Denver Potager was by far our favorite place. On Capitol Hill, noisy, hip, excellent food. I believe its reputation is still very strong.

You might cruise out for Mexican if you've a mind, as well. And find a good place for Huevos Rancheros (made with local specialty green chili) for breakfast.

Where are you staying.

Also, try to get a martini in the lobby of the Brown Palace hotel downtown -- just a spectacular piece of Old Denver, and where Presidents and the Beatles stayed.

Waitman, what's that dive bar you sent me to for breakfast, near the Crowne Plaza? I loved it. A true dive.

Waitman, what's that dive bar you sent me to for breakfast, near the Crowne Plaza?  I loved it.  A true dive.

Remind me where the Crown Plaza is? Was it El Chapultapec? The Cherry Cricket? Or Duffy's?

(rereads note) Must be Duffy's if you had breakfast there.

The Cruise Room in the Oxford in LoDo is also a swell place for a cocktail. If you are in Cherry Creek Mel's, Barolo & 4th Story (located in a fine independent bookseller Tattered Cover) were fine establishments (but this info is a bit dated - try to confirm with a current local). I would add my support for Potager and Duffy's. There was also a great Indonesian restaurant that had hallucinogenic Sambal. Waitman do you remember the name/location?

The Cruise Room in the Oxford in LoDo is also a swell place for a cocktail.  If you are in Cherry Creek Mel's, Barolo & 4th Story (located in a fine independent bookseller Tattered Cover) were fine establishments (but this info is a bit dated - try to confirm with a current local).  I would add my support for Potager and Duffy's.  There was also a great Indonesian restaurant that had hallucinogenic Sambal.  Waitman do you remember the name/location?

It was on South Federal, just below the point at which the Latin neighborhood turned Asian. BYOB, as I recall. Sadly, I can't come up with a name.

The Cruise Room in the Oxford in LoDo is also a swell place for a cocktail.  If you are in Cherry Creek Mel's, Barolo & 4th Story (located in a fine independent bookseller Tattered Cover) were fine establishments (but this info is a bit dated - try to confirm with a current local).

Mel's was still good as of 18 months ago - the last time we were there. For some reason I'm thinking that Barolo closed...anyone know?

Arguably Mizuna is the best in Denver http://www.mizunadenver.com/ I have not been to Frasca but a friend "whose opinion I trust" raves about it. Highlands Garden Cafe is also interesting but not on the level of Mizuna. If your taste runs to Rocky Mountain oysters or rattlesnake marinated in red chili and lime you may want to give serious consideration to Denver's oldest restaurant, the "unique" and interesting Buckhorn Exchange. http://www.buckhorn.com/

As soon as I saw Denver, I thought Buckhorn Exchange. It is a fun restaurant, I have had everything from Yak, to Musk Ox. I understand that the mountain oysters are quite good, it is the only food that I have an aversion to, so I wouldn't know.

If you like steak, give Brooks a try. It is one of the best steak houses in the country.

Yes go to the Tattered Cover! Also go to the Le Central the Affordable French Restaurant. http://www.lecentral.com/

I have to disagree on Le Central - we tried hard to like it when we lived there, but we couldn't. Best get your French fix at one of DC's many fine Bistros and look for something else in Denver.

If you want low-end Euro Chow, better to find The Saucy Noodle (motto: if you don't like garlic, go home) for something in a red sauce, followed by good homemade 'scream at Bonnie Brae ice cream four doors down.

Tattered Cover in Cherry Creek, (NOT the one in LoDo) btw, aside from being a legendary bookstore has a great restaurant on the top floor, the aforementioned Fourth Floor, and is walking distance from Mel's and the Cherry Cricket (and a 2 minute drive from The Saucy Noodle). The tattered cover in LoDo is close to the Cruise room (on 17th) and the Chipultapec's, the Mexican Jazz bar as well as whatever's hip in that 'hood these days.

We loved the burgers at Cherry Cricket. There's also a good breakfast place on E. 3rd in Cherry Creek but damned if I can remember the name.

Mel's was still good as of 18 months ago - the last time we were there.  For some reason I'm thinking that Barolo closed...anyone know?

Mr. S is flying to Denver tomorrow to spend a week with family. I printed out this thread for him and instructed him to take notes and report back.

His brother told him tonight in a phone call that they do have ressies at Barolo for one evening, so no, it isn't closed.

I am a huge fan of a microbrew called: Fat Tire. It is brewed out in Colorado by The New Belgium Brewing Company, but alas, they do not distribute their product to this area.

I am a huge fan of a microbrew called: Fat Tire.  It is brewed out in Colorado by The New Belgium Brewing Company, but alas, they do not distribute their product to this area.

One of previous jobs took me to Salt Lake City, on every trip I would stop by one of the crappy sports bars in the Denver Airport for a large Fat Tire. It was my only saving grace before heading over the mountains to the Bee Hive State, also known as the land of watered down beer.

The same job also took me to Fort Collins just as often (where New Belgium is located), so I was able to make up for all the lost beer drinking time in Salt Lake City. Their Blue Paddle was my hands down favorite, but on my summer trips, the Sunshine Wheatbeer sure hit the spot.

Someone once gave me a hard time for praising Fat Tire, not obscure enough, I guess. But when I lived in Denver I loved the stuff.

All this talk of Denver and beer has me thinking about the Great American Beer Festival. I have not been in many years and wonder if it is still worth the trip? Anyone have any recent trip reports?

One of previous jobs took me to Salt Lake City, on every trip I would stop by one of the crappy sports bars in the Denver Airport for a large Fat Tire.  It was my only saving grace before heading over the mountains to the Bee Hive State, also known as the land of watered down beer.

The same job also took me to Fort Collins just as often (where New Belgium is located), so I was able to make up for all the lost beer drinking time in Salt Lake City.  Their Blue Paddle was my hands down favorite, but on my summer trips, the Sunshine Wheatbeer sure hit the spot.

Salt Lake City? I have found memories of a joint on N. Temple called The Red Iguana which was really good, especially for mole. I also remember some really strange hamburgers with pastrami on them at a place downtown that was a long standing local tradition although I still don't understand why.

All this talk of Denver and beer has me thinking about the Great American Beer Festival.  I have not been in many years and wonder if it is still worth the trip?  Anyone have any recent trip reports?

My brother, who lives in the area, has gone every year for about the last 5 or 6. He says that each year it gets more crowded and more expensive, but it's still worth going to. But worth going to as a local, and worth flying out for are very different things.

Don't know if it was always this way, but now when you buy a ticket, it's only good for a single four-hour session - there are 4 (Thurs, Fri, Sat nites, and Sat day). The major brewers (?) like A-B now have a huge amount of square footage. Almost 30,000 people attended last year.

click me

My brother, who lives in the area, has gone every year for about the last 5 or 6. He says that each year it gets more crowded and more expensive, but it's still worth going to. But worth going to as a local, and worth flying out for are very different things.

Don't know if it was always this way, but now when you buy a ticket, it's only good for a single four-hour session - there are 4 (Thurs, Fri, Sat nites, and Sat day). The major brewers (?) like A-B now have a huge amount of square footage. Almost 30,000 people attended last year.

click me

I was last there in '97 and A-B has a table just like everyone else, but had the fewest people visiting :lol: . The sessions were setup the same way and Saturday afternoon was for vendors and American Homebrewer Association Members. During that session is when they would announce the winners which was pretty good as the crowd was rather small then.

Was at the Denver Federal Center in Lakewood a month or two ago. One of my co-workers found this place a couple blocks from our hotel 240 Union (speaking of places named after their address). It was not at all what I expected... it was excellent... it says the Denver Post declares it one of the 10 best in Denver and I believe it. In terms of style of cooking and the menu, it reminded me most of Zest (in Frederick).....creative comfort food. I had the half-chicken with apple smoked bacon potatoes. The flavor moistly permeated into the whole chicken.... and bacon really does make potatoes taste better. Great deal at $15 also.... Co-workers had pasta with italian sausage (Strozzapreti) and another had a fish special (halibut I think). Way too full for dessert. Looked to be a decent wine list but I didn't look too long at it... was in a beer mood.

Definitely worth a stop if you're in the area.

Sullivan's Steak House

http://www.sullivansteakhouse.com/denver/

It's not often I can say that I had one of the best steaks I have ever eaten. The 24 oz bone in cowboy ribeye has to make my top 5 list. I understand that this steakhouse is part of a chain, but the steak was divine! A simple wedge of lettuse with blue cheese dressing came as a starter, and some pretty good fresh bread. The service was great!