Earl's Sandwiches, Owner Steve Dugan's Carryout Cafe in Clarendon near the Courthouse Border

I never realized they did this - You better believe I'm in for one today around mid afternoon. There's nothing like breakfast for lunch!

The Roast beef and cheddar here is to DIE FOR. It's so good and worth every penny.

I believe breakfast is served until closing time daily, with the exception of Sunday.

Earl's was packed for lunch yesterday. Had the Louie with fresh roasted turkey- a mix of white and dark meat (good call on adding the flavorful dark meat), that was just fantastic, juicy and tender. Came with lettuce and tomato on ciabatta. But their ciabatta is more like a soft but dense roll. It was wonderful I loved it, but it isn't traditional ciabatta that one thinks of. The dressing was a pesto mayonnaise that just fit the sandwich perfectly. It was an incredibly good well balanced turkey sandwich. And the bread is really good, which is important for me in a sandwich.

I have read a few ringing endorsements of Earls, so I went there the other day... Thoroughly unremarkable Roasted Earl. I will try the other recommended sandwiches another day, but the pork was not much of a meal. Mario's may miss on some things, but they serve a sandwich that is a recognizable, and delicious, steak and cheese, as long as you tell them to keep the sweet pickles off the sandwich. Heck, even the Banh Mi place in Eden Center has a decent sandwich with plenty of flavor, but Earls Roasted Earl is only ok, but I will delve deeper into that menu because there must be a reason 15 people were lined up in front of me when I ordered a sandwich memorable only for its mediocrity.

Ducked into Earl's today for a Pork & Fries sandwich, the first item on the Signature Sandwiches board.

As others have reported, several inches of of flavorful, succulent, well-seasoned, thinly sliced pork, bursting with brightness from roasted red peppers, briny bites of sliced pickle, chopped onion, surprisingly potato-y fries tucked into and spilling out of the sandwich, along with a healthy smack of chipotle mayo all on fresh and lightly toasted ciabatta. Had to stop myself at the half way mark lest I cancel all attempts to stay conscious this afternoon.

I think I need to go to confession now.

(forgive me father)

(for i have sinned)

(but man, check out the other half of this sandwich!)

Ducked into Earl's today for a Pork & Fries sandwich, the first item on the Signature Sandwiches board.

As others have reported, several inches of of flavorful, succulent, well-seasoned, thinly sliced pork, bursting with brightness from roasted red peppers, briny bites of sliced pickle, chopped onion, surprisingly potato-y fries tucked into and spilling out of the sandwich, along with a healthy smack of chipotle mayo all on fresh and lightly toasted ciabatta. Had to stop myself at the half way mark lest I cancel all attempts to stay conscious this afternoon.

I think I need to go to confession now.

(forgive me father)

(for i have sinned)

(but man, check out the other half of this sandwich!)

It's a seriously badass sandwich. I can't even think about ordering anything else when I go there.

Their crabcake sandwich is frequently great but sometimes disappointing. For $10.99 it's hard to beat.

It was $9.99 today and printed that way on the menu they hand out at the store so it looks like they lowered their price, making it even a better value. [Note: The on-line menu still shows the old price.] I never had it here before so I do not know what, if anything, may have changed. I thought it was a pretty good sandwich. It had plenty of crab, but do not go expecting any large lump pieces. You won't find them.

I hate to sound like a cheerleader, but golly it's nice to see this place thriving.

This is definitely a place you have a bias for, but to Steve's credit, the quality of the offerings has improved dramatically over the last couple years. The first time I went in 07 I got a very bland roast beef sandwich served on a hamburger bun that I can't imagine would be much better than something I would make at home. My most recent 3 visits, however, were outstanding, with only one clunker (gumbo) amongst the things my wife and I ordered. The Pork and Fries is one of the 5 best sandwiches in the area and the White Bean and Ham soup is my favorite take out soup by far. I hope this place continues to improve and become one of the better takeout options in DC.

Steven was super generous to me last Saturday when I was whining about how my egg on my egg & cheese sandwich tasted like the other foods on the griddle used. I am very thankful for his generosity.

Thank goodness they have sweet potatoes fries here too!

Btw, they do catering and I was told they will delivery to downtown DC. I am trying to advocate my office to contact them.

Recently went and had the new(ish) menu item, Fish and Chips. The fries were meh, but the fried fish was really great - definitely one of the best I've ever had. Fish was moist and (I think) fresh, outside was lightly battered and crisp. The homemade tartar sauce was also delicious and I'll be asking for an extra portion next time.

I was wondering exactly where this place is located, and I ended up, naturally, on Google street view. Wilson Boulevard has changed a lot since I used to spend considerable time there in the 1970s, but God , it's still depressing. This is in no way a reflection on Earl's, of course. I'd love to give Earl's a try, but I'm afraid a visit to that part of Wilson Boulevard might lead to suicide.

I was wondering exactly where this place is located, and I ended up, naturally, on Google street view. Wilson Boulevard has changed a lot since I used to spend considerable time there in the 1970s, but God , it's still depressing. This is in no way a reflection on Earl's, of course. I'd love to give Earl's a try, but I'm afraid a visit to that part of Wilson Boulevard might lead to suicide.

Be not afraid. That stretch between Clarendon and Court House is filling in quite nicely. Ray's, Me Jana, Fireworks Pizza, Wilson Tavern, Java Shack, Minh's, and Earl's are all right there (as well as some other (and possibly lesser imho) options). I know that the first three are actually on Clarendon Boulevard, and are probably considered squarely in the Court House area, but they are close enough to mention. No need to defenestrate yourself over this neighborhood. If you are even slightly depressed after you arrive, cheer yourself up by purchasing a few vintage records at the CD Cellar next door to Earl's. Perhaps you might find a nice copy of Happy Trails by Quicksilver Messenger Service. That always cheers me up. :)

Had never heard of Earl's until recently. Went there for lunch yesterday and while I'm not a big sandwich guy, this place is great. The fries weren't great but the gumbo was hearty (yet not spicy) enough and Earl's French Dip, while not the classic kind I was looking for, was pretty good. How have I not heard of this place before?

Earl's has been on my "to try" list for awhile but it wasn't until Food Nomad's post popped up last week that I was reminded at a time I could do it.

Overall, I think it okay and worthwhile if you're in that area and not able to range further. But that statement has to be made with the big caveat that I've only tried one thing so far and will absolutely go back to try other items and then update this post.

One of the specials on offer when I was there was the fish fry and there were some good reactions to that upthread. I'll have to respectfully disagree with thetrain and others though. To me, the sandwich was just okay. Not even in the same galaxy as like items at Fishnet (College Park) or Eammons (Old Town). But it wasn't terrible. More specifically:

- I'm not a big fan of the tendence of some sandwich shops to stuff french fries into the sandwich. I'm especially not a fan of it when the fries are very oily, heavy and much greater in quantity than the protein they accompany, as is the case with this sandwich. So I took all the fries out to then try the sandwich of fish, tartar and pickle.

- The bread is better than supermarket standard but nothing special. Points for toasting though, which makes it more palatble.

- The fish was fresh, flaky and with a reasonable amount of batter. My issue here was that there was hardly any of it on the sandwich. Big piece of ciabatta and maybe 2 to 3 oz of fish if that.

This place seems to have a big following and of course cool to see a small independent making it as they seem to be. But on the merits of this sandwich, not something to drive out of one's way for in my view. Prices are maybe a bit high given the quality. Greasy spoon quality with more premium quality pricing.

All said, the pork and beef sandwiches seem to get the most acclaim so I'll be sure to try one or both of those soon before finalizing an overall view.

BTW, Earl's has been featuring a Cuban Club on its specials board recently and it is giving the Pork and Fries a strong run for the best sandwich in this joint. It is roasted pork, prosciutto, provolone, deep-fried pickle chips, honey mustard, and chipotle mayo on three pieces of toasted sourdough bread1. It is a bit pricey at $9.99, but it is definitely worth the splurge, especially if you are like me and get two meals out of this hefty sandwich.

1 This bread also works well in their grilled cheese sandwich.

Close to time to move this topic to "Multiple Locations" in the Dining Guide. Per ARLnow.com: Earl’s Sandwiches Expanding to Ballston

That's great news although, on a personal level, Earl's can go fuck themselves for not once linking to this website despite my undying support over the years.

(Sorry, had to get that little outburst out of my system. Doesn't affect either my patronage or the placement in the dining guide, but yeah, I said it.)

Damn; I work around there...and don't make it there very often and haven't focused on these sandwiches that have received such acclaim. Now I'm game to give them a try. In fact I picked up a menu to try some of these sandwiches that you folks have been raving about!!

The Ballston location is where brgr: burger shack used to be. They open on Monday. I learned this the hard way because I wanted a burger today and walked down there and saw the sign saying Earl's was coming. Inside was the nice owner who shook my hand and gave me the carryout menu.

The Ballston location is where brgr: burger shack used to be. They open on Monday. I learned this the hard way because I wanted a burger today and walked down there and saw the sign saying Earl's was coming. Inside was the nice owner who shook my hand and gave me the carryout menu.

Aaah ok, huh, I actually kind of liked the brgr place, was hoping it was a different space. But like Earl's so at least something I like is going in there.

I've been to Earl's recently. Its all because of the comments in this thread. Not sure why I've neglected it, as I've eaten there over the years, since I work so close...but simply haven't focused on it.

The monty is excellent. Rare roast beef, a zingy bbq sauce on a soft roll. Very tasty, if not a bit messy...but definitely tasty. The roasted earl was also nice with excellent roasted pork. I'm partial to a a spicier sandwich, so it wouldn't be my first choice...but again the quality of the meat was excellent. On my 2nd visit I ate in toward the latter part of the lunch period. At a period where things were a bit slower one of the staff visited with everyone asked about the meal, and made suggestions and recommendations to one couple with kids. Always a nice move on the part of any f & b place.

I'll keep going back to work my way through the menu.

The Ballston location is definitely open, serving the same menu as the original storefront. The new space is only marginally bigger, but with the important addition of 4 beer taps, which allowed me to enjoy an Eight Point IPA while I waited for my sandwich. Both Earl's are about equidistant from my house, and this feature could give Balllston the nudge for me.

The Ballston location is definitely open, serving the same menu as the original storefront. The new space is only marginally bigger, but with the important addition of 4 beer taps, which allowed me to enjoy an Eight Point IPA while I waited for my sandwich. Both Earl's are about equidistant from my house, and this feature could give Balllston the nudge for me.

Sadly, the taps are gone and are replaced with a limited bottle selection. Apparently they were not selling enough to maintain freshness.

Stopped in the other day and had a cranberry and turkey sandwich and a side of fries. Hubby and I should have split an order of fries, very generous. Nice fresh turkey, good sandwich ratios, really polite service- a little busy and the owner was there and very nice. I am so happy to have this place so close to our house. It's nice to have another good take out option in the area. Can't wait for them to open at night!!! (Will have to check this weekend.)

Stopped by for my first winter chili: Turkey chili per the referral from the staff. HOT, white beans chunky, excellent spices. I should have gotten the large rather than the medium.

And the day after I went w/ a large regular chili. that was okay...but that turkey chili. hm a thing of tasteworthy beauty. I'll be back for more!!!!!!

Stopped by for my first winter chili: Turkey chili per the referral from the staff. HOT, white beans chunky, excellent spices. I should have gotten the large rather than the medium.

I went to the new Earl's on Christmas Eve for lunch and had an *excellent* (house-roasted) Turkey Reuben (on special that day).

The Ballston location is a wonderful thing. It is literally right by our house and we go a lot. I think their Ballston location probably does a brisker business than Courthouse/Clarendon, there seems to always be a line, but it goes very quickly. It's nice to be able to get a really good sandwich and fries so close by. On nights when Hubby and I have board meetings and need to eat quick we are here a lot. I am partial to the Turkey Cranberry or the Rueben or the Roast Earl.

I had the turkey reuben today. Ate in at Earl's (Clarendon) alone, reading the newspaper. When I finished I stood up and said loud enough for the staff to hear...."THAT WAS A GOOD SANDWICH"

From Earl's menu:

At Earl’s, our sandwiches are not made with processed cold cuts. We roast our own turkey, beef, and pork in house.

Today's fresh roasted turkey was simply scrumptious!!! Juicy, thick...simply special. So many places to get a sandwich...so few places put the special care into them as does Earl's!!!

Fresh turkey!!!! I never do that at home...okay maybe once a year after Thanksgiving or possibly if for some special event with a lot of guests wherein we would serve turkey. Other than that I'd never have it. What a treat!!!!

Today's fresh roasted turkey was simply scrumptious!!! Juicy, thick...simply special. So many places to get a sandwich...so few places put the special care into them as does Earl's!!!

Fresh turkey!!!! I never do that at home...okay maybe once a year after Thanksgiving or possibly if for some special event with a lot of guests wherein we would serve turkey. Other than that I'd never have it. What a treat!!!!

For future reference, Jettie's has fresh roasted turkey, but it's nowhere even close to Earl's in quality.

First time to Earl's today for lunch at Ballston location. I had the Turkey & Fries - same sandwich As Pork & Fries but subbed turkey for pork (I just don't dig on swine) - and I really liked it. Nice combination of flavors between fresh, pulled roast turkey (white and dark meat), sweet pickles, roasted peppers, and sweet/crunchy chopped onions but some added heft from the french fries. It would have been a bit better with crispier/saltier fries - these were somewhat floppy. Bread was a good hoagie-like soft roll (despite being called ciabatta) that held up well to the stuffed sandwich. Also, I saw some really good looking toasted roast beef sandwiches that'll have to try next time.

Having recently had the big fat juicy delicious steak and cheese at Ray's TT3 and having seen it was voted best sandwich in the metro region...and having LOVED IT I had to stop by Earl's.

Its sandwiches are so amazingly and consistently good.   Just had a turkey with cranberry relish.

What a STUPENDOUS sandwich.   So many  of Earl's sandwiches are top notch.   Are they better or worse than the delectable Steak and Cheese at Ray's TT3???

Who cares.   Ray's Steak and Cheese is stupendous and so are many of Earl's sandwiches.

I'm always stunned by the turkey sandwiches.  Fresh roasted delectable turkey.  I never have that.  Okay..maybe after Thanksgiving...but its not FRESH ROASTED THAT day like at Earl's.

These turkey sandwiches are scrumptious.  Well worth the visit.  Their mere existence is a cause for "thanks" as is Thanksgiving.

BTW:  I was told once that Earl's sells sliced fresh turkey meat.   I forget the price.  I suspect dependent on the day they may or may not have it for sale.  But an extraordinary sandwich delight.

ya....the steak and cheese at Rays TT# is great....but don't ignore Earl's.  Its sandwich heaven!!!!

I heartily recommend the Save The Bay Special currently on offer at both stores.  Chesapeake Bay wild caught blue catfish, blackened and pan fried to order, on a sesame seed roll topped with cranberry butter and field greens.  I had one at from the Clarendon store on Friday and liked it so much I went to the Ballston outpost and had it again today.  If anything, today's was even better.  It can be messy, but a tasty spicy treat nonetheless, and I do not feel so much the glutton like I do after trying to tackle both halves of some of their other monster sandwiches (staring directly at Earl's Cuban Club).  Better yet, Earl's donates $1 to the Oyster Recovery Partnership for each one sold.

• Like 2

A processed cold cut turkey sandwich at an unnamed nearby sandwich place for lunch the other day sent me back to Earl's today for a Louie, one of the highlighted "specialty" sandwiches at Earls.

The difference is like night and day.  Earl's fresh roasted turkey that populates the Louie and some other turkey sandwiches is meaty, moist, thick, and brings on thoughts of the best of Thanksgiving.  A processed turkey sandwich is processed.  No matter the bread, the cheese, the mustard or mayo, the freshest of tomato or any other added extra...Earl's fresh roasted meats on its sandwiches are extraordinarily better than any cold cut on any bread in the area..or the region...or beyond.

I'm glad Earl's is in the neighborhood!!!

I got into a conversation with one of the girls who works at Earl's Ballston when we were picking up sandwiches last weekend as we were the only ones there.  She was so friendly and really helpful.  We got sandwiches to take out to Paradise Springs.  I got a salad with chicken salad after a bit of a gluttonous dinner the night before.  Even this was not a disappointment.  But I did miss the club and the cran-turkey a bit.  

I had the Cuban Club at Earl's the other day.  My goodness that was scrumptiously delectable.  I had to stop eating midway through that very large sandwich and review the ingredients.  It felt like sandwich heaven.  

• Like 2

I had the Roast Earl the other day.  Which I like, but I feel like needs a crunch factor to it, I don't know what, as the flavors are pretty good, just needs a little texture.

Buy some chips, make a layer. :)

The Roasted Earl is very mono-textural and even somewhat bland; what I like about it the most is that it comes across as a quality product.

---

ETA: Funny, I myself have "switched" to the Roast Beef and Cheddar (refer to the post just below).

I always order the Roast Beef Cheddar on a sesame roll.  It's simple but delicious.  The roast beef is almost always cooked perfectly and the horseradish sauce and sesame seeds put it over the top.  This is the best roast beef sandwich I've had at a restaurant.  And, the quality hasn't changed one bit since they opened up the new location.

I've tried a bite of a couple of the pork and turkey sandwiches and I thought they were good but a bit dry for my tastes, which is not surprising since it's tough to keep pork and turkey moist for long once it comes out of the oven.  That's why I stick with the RBC.

My normal order is a turkey cranberry or turkey club, but I haven't found their turkey dry, of course both those are pretty loaded up sandwiches.  But we normally go at the beginning of their weekend lunch in the Ballston location.  I do try to branch out though.  Will have to try the roast beef.  I have had their chicken salad and it's fine, but for some reason the chicken salad just down the street at Zoe is more my chicken salad style, not that either compare to my absolute favorite which is in Garrett County.  I was going to try their breakfast burrito the other day, I have never had anything breakfasty there.  Also need to try their ruben which I think I would like based on how good someone else's looked the other day.

My normal order is a turkey cranberry or turkey club, but I haven't found their turkey dry, of course both those are pretty loaded up sandwiches.  But we normally go at the beginning of their weekend lunch in the Ballston location.  I do try to branch out though.  Will have to try the roast beef.  I have had their chicken salad and it's fine, but for some reason the chicken salad just down the street at Zoe is more my chicken salad style, not that either compare to my absolute favorite which is in Garrett County.  I was going to try their breakfast burrito the other day, I have never had anything breakfasty there.  Also need to try their ruben which I think I would like based on how good someone else's looked the other day.

I find myself at the Ballston location probably triple, perhaps quadruple, the number times I'm at Clarendon - I like everything about the Ballston location better, right down to parking availability. I wonder if Earl's in Clarendon will even be around five years from now - I suspect it might be more trouble than it's worth to hold onto now that they've seen what they can do in a larger space.

So, I ventured off from my normal orders and got the salmon sandwich a March special.  That was a bad choice.  I knew it was a bad choice, but I was intrigued.  I wasn't really in the mood for a sandwich because I have eaten a lot of sandwiches lately and we have tons of sandwich stuff at home, but MK wanted to go.  The amount of jam like "horseradish mango chutney" that was on this sandwich was completely off scale and there was no taste of horseradish.  It was overwhelmingly sweet and gloppy.  Not good.  

So, I ventured off from my normal orders and got the salmon sandwich a March special.  That was a bad choice.  I knew it was a bad choice, but I was intrigued.  I wasn't really in the mood for a sandwich because I have eaten a lot of sandwiches lately and we have tons of sandwich stuff at home, but MK wanted to go.  The amount of jam like "horseradish mango chutney" that was on this sandwich was completely off scale and there was no taste of horseradish.  It was overwhelmingly sweet and gloppy.  Not good.  

I am *so* glad I didn't bite on this a week ago - I saw it, and thought it would be bad.

Unfortunately, the March special I ordered was also bad: Grilled Cheese ($6.99) - melted Brie with pesto mayonnaise on grilled sourdough bread. It was awful, even though I requested "light mayo" - the bread was drenched with (what I hope was) butter, and the melted Brie combined with the light slathering of pesto mayo made it a gooey mess.

You know, I'm starting to wonder if Earl's is getting a little sloppy. I definitely think "Simple is Best" here, and I'm finding that if you venture much further than that, things can quickly devolve into a greasy, unpleasant experience. Leave Primanti Brothers to Primanti Brothers (and I'm sorry, but I think Primanti Brothers, especially in some of the satellite locations, is absolutely disgusting.)