sklarithy

Rose's Luxury, Chef Aaron Silverman's Modern-American Phenomenon on 8th and G Street in Barracks Row

449 posts in this topic

My sister-in-law worked with him and she said that she expects pretty cool things to happen with the project. Good luck to them, fingers crossed.

I went last night as part of a group of five and absolutely loved it. We ordered the entire menu (well, with the exception of dessert, where we only ordered one of the two options), and while some things were certainly better than others, we enjoyed everything that came out. Pro tip, despite our waiter's belief in our eating prowess, the entire menu is probably slightly more food than a party of five should order.

A few thoughts:

• The space looks great, and is much bigger than I was expecting from walking by. Because of this, and the way they have the tables laid out, I don't think anyone is going to feel overly crowded. The table that we had, at the far back of the restaurant, near one of the many bars that pop up throughout, was fantastic, and allowed us to carry on conversations at a very normal level. 
  • I love the bar space upstairs, where apparently you can order the entire menu. I was the last in my party to arrive, so I didn't have the opportunity to try any of the cocktails, but the menu read great.
  • Service was very good throughout. Our waiter read our table well, and was a good blend of informal, yet professional. Water was refilled promptly, plates were cleared when they were completed, and the service never felt intrusive. And good descriptions on all of the dishes when they came out. Job well done in my opinion.
  • We ordered everything on the menu, which was twelve "small plates" and two "family style." This worked well for order, because the kitchen sent things out as they felt they made sense, and made for a more cohesive meal than most tapas-style small plates experiences I've had recently.
  • The lychee salad with pork sausage and habanero was fantastic. Other highlights, for me, were the burnt romaine salad (surprisingly, I don't typically like cooked romaine salads), the fennel gnocchi, the cacio e pepe, the fried eggplant and the caramelized cauliflower.
  • The weakest dish was the shrimp and grits (namely the texture of the rice grits, the shrimp were delicious).
  • Both family style dishes, Southern Style Chicken and Smoked Brisket, were absolutely fantastic. Really delicious fried chicken. 
  • The wine list is extremely small (or perhaps focused?).

Anyhow, that's all I've got. We had a great experience, and we all left wanting to make it back as quickly as possible.  On a Monday night we had no trouble getting seated, but I could see this turning into a bit of a wait for a table given their no reservations policy.

1 person likes this

We tried Rose's tonight and really enjoyed it.  The space is gorgeous.  The service terrific.  The food is difficult to shoe-horn into a single cuisine but, to varying degrees, it was interesting and very good.  Some of my favorites were oysters with a dark and stormy granita; a vegetarian sausage with lychee and habenero (also had coconut foam and thai basil i think --  great thai flavors); popcorn soup (really tastes like pureed movie popcorn, put into an isi, with lobster); and spaghetti with strawberry and ricotta (great use of onion in it -- really worked).  I also liked the caramelized cauliflower, eggplant, and shrimp with rice grits.  Had two cocktails that were good.  

1 person likes this

We also stopped by last night and had a great experience. I concur the space it really lovely and unique and the service was spot on. We had the fried eggplant and the strawberry ricotta pasta from the "small plates" section and shared the fried chicken with fixins' from the "Family Style" section. All were very very good with just a bit of a surprise/twist on what you would traditionally expect. This was actually our second visit. We stopped by opening weekend and had a snack at the bar (popcorn soup and lychee salad - also unique and very tasty). Overall, we've loved our experiences and were delighted to see it pretty busy on a Monday night. They indicated the menu would be changing up soon and we noticed at least one new item added this go round, which is a smart thing with such a small menu. Great addition to the otherwise largely uninspiring fare on 8th.

We went on Saturday night, and was able to get a table upstairs without a wait! We immediately fell in love with the place not only because of the cozy, unpretentious atmosphere, but also because each and every dish was great if not stellar. That popcorn soup was delicious and creative while both pasta dishes (Cacio e Pepe and the strawberry pasta) were fantastic. Oh, and the brisket was insanely tender - a knife was not necessary.

I'm just astonished how flawless everything was given that it only opened less than a month ago. They had everything down like clockwork - very knowledgeable, personable waitstaff, timing of dishes out of the kitchen, etc. This place is a true gem in the District. I wrote about it more on our blog if you want to check it out.

http://www.dmvdining.com/2013/10/roses-luxury-is-an-instant-classic/

1 person likes this

I went to Rose's Luxury last night for the first time.

Definitely echo all the positive comments above - great food and great ambience. Hard pressed to think of a better place on the Hill.

As mentioned above, the family style brisket, the pork lychee salad, the popcorn soup, and the cacio e pepe are all very good.

I went to Rose's Luxury last night for the first time.

Definitely echo all the positive comments above - great food and great ambience. Hard pressed to think of a better place on the Hill.

As mentioned above, the family style brisket, the pork lychee salad, the popcorn soup, and the cacio e pepe are all very good.

You know what's amazing to me? This place is getting rave reviews across the board, but some of the items (strawberry pasta, for example) sound kinda nasty. It's all in the execution, I guess, and Aaron is a very talented cook.

You know what's amazing to me? This place is getting rave reviews across the board, but some of the items (strawberry pasta, for example) sound kinda nasty. It's all in the execution, I guess, and Aaron is a very talented cook.

I was also skeptical about strawberry pasta.  I was surprised that it actually worked, and I enjoyed it.  The Chef's Counter is great for watching the kitchen in action and solo-diner friendly.

I ate here for the first time tonight and loved it. I was preparing a detailed review but then accidentally deleted my comments in this rather unforgiving interface after a few paragraphs. Perhaps that is for the best. Go. Go and eat there. Get in line early. It is excellent.

I ate here for the first time tonight and loved it. I was preparing a detailed review but then accidentally deleted my comments in this rather unforgiving interface after a few paragraphs. Perhaps that is for the best. Go. Go and eat there. Get in line early. It is excellent.

I don't know how long it stores text, but the current version of the software autosaves typing after a fairly brief interval.  If you start typing in the reply box here again, your old message (or part of it) may pop up.

As a test, I wrote that text above, then deleted it and left the thread.  I came back, quoted your post again, and a "View Auto Saved Content" option came up below the bottom left of the screen.  Clicking that opened a window with my previous partial post and a "restore content" button that put everything back as it was.

[There's an auto-save feature! If this happens, come in anew, and you'll be prompted (in the lower-left corner) to view your auto-saved text. If you type longer than one minute or so, you'll see on the bottom-left a message that says "Last auto saved: 1:47:01 PM EST," for example. Man, I'm sorry this happened.

ETA: Oops, sorry, Pat!]

My meal at Rose's Luxury was one of the best ones I've had in quite a while. I showed up right at opening to go sit at the back bar with Bobbi, who I knew from Liberty Tavern. I also got to say hi to my friends Elizabeth (who is a server there) and Dave (one of the cooks, formerly of the Passenger).

I wasn't certain about it but decided to start with the pork sausage, habanero, and lychee salad. When it came I dubbed it the "anti-social salad" because I would've stabbed anybody who interrupted me from eating it. I've put a lot of things in my mouth this year but this may have been the single best thing of the year, I kid you not.

Bobbi sent me a single Malpeque oyster with dark and stormy granita. I'd had that at their pop-up at Hogo but it was better here - much better taste and "pop" to the granita.

Next I had the smoked peach baby back ribs. Since whenever I usually have ribs they are dry-rubbed I'm always surprised if they are sauced. Still, these were very tasty, just the right level of tenderness. Despite being better than so many other dishes I've had recently, they were the lowest point of the menu that night (which is like saying I got all A+s on my report card except for one A).

Finally, I had the pickle-brined fried chicken, honey, benne seed. Holy crap. That was some beautiful, delicious chicken, especially with a dash of Crystal hot sauce.

I accompanied these with a couple of their cocktails including an experimental one that all came out very delicious, and washed down the fried chicken with what I felt was appropriate - a High Life.

Seriously folks, get there. Eat well. Go with friends so you can order more stuff but don't let them steal your lychee salad.

4 people like this

Three of us went to Rose's Luxury last night and we loved it: playful and very precise cooking in a vibrant, charming but not twee atmosphere.  We arrived at 6:30 and left at 10:15 and ate a good part of the menu. From the whipped butter- buttermilk spread sprinkled with grated baked potato skin (great idea) to the  tender Jewish-Texas brisket, we enjoyed this meal!    The popcorn soup had nice chunks of lobster and made me think of Maine Lobster boils with corn on the cob, both slathered in sweet butter.  Yes, it may be a tad sweet but it was something I could not quite imagine working and it does.  Using popcorn like this is a bit like José Andres' recommending potato chips to make a classic Spanish tortilla..   The grilled romaine with poblano and avocado was brilliant.  Never thought of cooking romaine for a Mexican dish -- we are all used to it chopped raw for tacos.   The breadcrumbs work so well on the gnocchi ravioli. We really loved and appreciated these mixes of classic touches with reinterpretations.      The only dish that did not excite us was the octopus: while the  octopus has an interesting ink and burnt lemon sauce, it was a not in itself an exciting protein.  (And it can be).   A slight hitch in service -- a second order of the oysters with dark and stormy granita arrived 2 hours  after we ordered it --at the end of the meal and right after the brisket. Although the server explains that dishes come out in the order the kitchen wants to send it, that was clearly a mistake.  A small hitch in a great meal.  I wish all the new restaurants opening up had this kind of personal vision and level of  cooking.

I'm glad others have chimed in here with their experiences after my abortive post. Their comments are very much what I would also have written. It's only very rarely that my wife and I continue to think about and discuss a dinner we had three days ago, but Rose's is one of those rare occasions. Easily the best meal out--in all respects, from food to service to atmosphere--that we have had anywhere in a long time, including the Ashby Inn (which might be surprising) and Montmartre (which is less so).

1 person likes this

Anyone have any idea what wait time is approximately like on a Friday night?  Would like to go, but want to be able to get in...

Anyone have any idea what wait time is approximately like on a Friday night?  Would like to go, but want to be able to get in...

We went on a Saturday (the 26th) and arrived a few minutes before opening at 5:30 to find a line of about a dozen people. That was not enough to fill the place, but it did seem to fill up within the hour.

Another data point - I was there tonight (Thursday), and at around 6:05pm, only a few tables were occupied though the chef's counter was full except for one seat.  By around 7pm, the dining room looked full including the counter in the back.

There's a pork pho on the menu now.

Is this the most consistently well-reviewed new restaurant . . . ever?  Talk about raising expectations . . .

I'm glad others have chimed in here with their experiences after my abortive post. Their comments are very much what I would also have written. It's only very rarely that my wife and I continue to think about and discuss a dinner we had three days ago, but Rose's is one of those rare occasions. Easily the best meal out--in all respects, from food to service to atmosphere--that we have had anywhere in a long time, including the Ashby Inn (which might be surprising) and Montmartre (which is less so).

Halfway through our dinner I said to +1 that "this reminds me of F.I.G."

Mmmm - delicious food there. And the place Silverman last worked, McCrady's. Hoping to get to Rose's Luxury AND Charleston around the holidays.

Last Monday at about 7 we were quoted a wait time of about an hour. We were able to get bar seats much quicker so took them, but that's what it would have taken to get a table.  Our bartender said that the best way to game the system was to show up around 7:30, stand at the bar, and wait for those people's tables to be ready, opening up bar seats.