Rose's Luxury, Chef Aaron Silverman's Modern-American Phenomenon on 8th and G Street in Barracks Row

18 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

At its best, Rose’s Luxury was a relatively inexpensive yet creative and well executed joint.  Frank Ruta is no Aaron Silverman.  It’s restaurant that I'm glad I waited in line for.  I can't say the same about Bad Saint.  At this point, you can just pay the big bucks and get reservation for Pineapple and Pearls.

It probably was - I wished I had tried to get to Rose's Luxury before the real swarms of people descended on it. The lines would have been shorted and it'd probably have been worth it I am sure. I have thought about Pineapple and Pearls, but I am kind of over tasting menus where I do not get to pick and choose, Not a complete deal breaker but maybe one of these days I will give P&P a try.

6 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

@Pool Boy worships the ground Ruta walks on.  So I'm just pointing out how he's missing out because he hates waiting in line. 😅

That's because I love what he does with food! And I know my desire for reservations makes me miss out. That said, I have waited at places from time to time - like Hot Doug's in Chicago before it shut down. Or even the one decent restaurant in West Yellowstone this past fall while on vacation (but only because I had no choice)

4 hours ago, MarkS said:

@Pool Boy needs to have the crack chicken at the Boqueria.  They have reservations.

Is this what you are talking about? 

POLLO RUSTIDO Catalan style roasted chicken, Ibérico lard, lemon, herbs, salsa verde

1 hour ago, Pool Boy said:

It probably was - I wished I had tried to get to Rose's Luxury before the real swarms of people descended on it. The lines would have been shorted and it'd probably have been worth it I am sure. I have thought about Pineapple and Pearls, but I am kind of over tasting menus where I do not get to pick and choose, Not a complete deal breaker but maybe one of these days I will give P&P a try.

That's because I love what he does with food! And I know my desire for reservations makes me miss out. That said, I have waited at places from time to time - like Hot Doug's in Chicago before it shut down. Or even the one decent restaurant in West Yellowstone this past fall while on vacation (but only because I had no choice)

Is this what you are talking about? 

POLLO RUSTIDO Catalan style roasted chicken, Ibérico lard, lemon, herbs, salsa verde

Yup.  Somehow I am coded as Chicken Mark from Annapolis.  Always order it and they think Naptown is next galaxy.  This is great Chicken.  Not Ruta Chicken but still great,

• Like 1

On 1/6/2020 at 9:11 PM, Pool Boy said:

I have heard of that. A possibility, but again - I prefer a reservation. Most other restaurants I can book days weeks, a month or more in advance. Why have the hassle of finding someone to do that for you the day of when you want to go and then, you may not even dine when you want to.

Same problem, no planning ahead ability - I must be unique in my desire to know I have a place  reserved for me more than 12 hours ahead of time.

You have the exact same sentiments as my husband on this.  It's why we haven't been to some places we would otherwise go.

I just saw on Instagram that Rose's is now taking reservations for any size party, any night they are open.  Wow! 

They also have this note pop up when you go to their website:

To our guests:  We are taking steps to keep our restaurant safe, we have always and will continue to follow and exceed food safety and sanitation protocols required by the DC Department of Health, CDC and WHO. Additionally:  

• Our staff is utilizing company wide paid sick leave to make sure we keep our workplace healthy and safe.
  • We are vigilant with sanitization of all high touch surfaces.
  • We are offering hand sanitizer throughout the restaurant.
  • We have added additional spacing between tables to allow for staff and guests to remain at more comfortable distances.
  • We are implementing no-touch payment options.

If you wish to dine out, we want you to know that we are now accepting reservations for  any party size, any night of the week. 

As well, Rose's at Home will come cook in your home any night of the week. We will also have takeout and delivery options coming soon.

• Like 2

I don't care if it's gonna cost like $15+ to deliver to Adams Morgan - if I can get a pork sausage lychee bowl delivered to me I'm absolutely going to do that.  I think this kind of thing is a good measure to take but not sure if it'll matter in a matter of days / weeks if we end up like Italy in a lockdown mode.

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 1:50 PM, FranklinDubya said:

I don't care if it's gonna cost like $15+ to deliver to Adams Morgan - if I can get a pork sausage lychee bowl delivered to me I'm absolutely going to do that.  I think this kind of thing is a good measure to take but not sure if it'll matter in a matter of days / weeks if we end up like Italy in a lockdown mode.

They started their delivery service last night.  The lychee bowl is on the menu for $15.  I couldn't find any info about delivery area or delivery charges though. 

3 hours ago, Bart said:

They started their delivery service last night.  The lychee bowl is on the menu for $15.  I couldn't find any info about delivery area or delivery charges though. 

I'm seeing carry out but not delivery yet.  Hopefully added soon but I imagine there's a rush of places all trying to do this at once.

• Thanks 1

Hubby and I got the three night package for anniversary the past few days.  I was really impressed at the value for three, three course meals.  It was really nice to have three nights worth of dinners covered too!

Our menu:

Wedge salad, with buttermilk dressing, garlic breadcrumbs, Rigatoni Pasta Alla Norma with Eggplant, Strawberry Shortcake.

Pork and Lychee salad, chicken katsu, oat cookie with oat milk.

Spring Crudite with French Onion Dip, roasted pork with a fresh salsa, rice-cannelini bean, kale.

There were also two muffins included, and some candles and etc.  Very cute!

Everything came packed really nicely with garnishes and sauces separated out, and it had cooking instructions, the first night was microwave only, the second two required brief oven cooking.  For me the first night was a real highlight.  The pasta was really good with a great rich, spicy, garlic flavor.  I liked how they did the cream for the strawberry shortcake a little more solid so it held up.  The strawberries were really good and tasted like the height of Spring.  The pork and lychee was still very good.  I liked the Chicken Katsu a lot, as well.  I was really impressed with the rice on the last night, and the pork was cooked really well and had a nice smoke, and still was incredibly juicy and flavorful despite being in the fridge a few days.  Hubby thought the crudite was a bit phoning it in, but we both were really, really happy with the meals, and the price, and the whole process.  We would do this again with another menu!  Hubby has never been to Rose's but would like to go.  I have been and no, it wasn't quite the same as in person (I will never forget getting to go with a DR member and friends to the rooftop, that was just so much fun), but you still felt very special and cared for, and it was just a lot of fun, and we felt a little fancier than we have the past few months.

So a big, big Thank you to Rose's Luxury as this made our anniversary still feel special, and right now, that is EVERYTHING.  For anyone debating doing this, I would highly recommend it.  It is a really great value for impressive cooking, and the care and planning that it had to take to make this work over a three night period in the fridge, to still have this quality, they put a lot of work into this, and it shows.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

To address all transgressions referenced in this tempest, would be to address all transgressions inherent in humanity.

Exactly, well said.

That article seemed like an unnecessary take down, or sour grapes, or a hit piece on an imperfect chef/restaurant group trying its best to move the industry light years ahead of where it currently is.   OMG!  They didn't get everything just exactly perfect from the get go!  Get me to my fainting couch!!  I'd suggest the authors or the aggrieved look up the Joint Strike Fighter for a tale of how perfection (or even a tiny bit of success) sometimes takes a lot longer and has a lot of missteps to overcome (not to mention billions of dollars down the drain).

And some of the complaints seemed bizarre and bordering on childish or irrational.  Sure they didn't have a dress code that was carved in stone, but is it really that outrageous to be asked to wear a bra?  They are running a business after all.  Personally, I may be in favor of braless servers :P, but the general public may not be as evolved as I am!

Back when George Floyd was murdered and the BLM movement really ignited, Aaron Silverman took to social media, completely out of the blue, and basically said, "we weren't perfect in our execution, we really didn't fully understand the deeper issues like we thought we did, and we are going to try to make things better".  His statement was much more thoughtful and heartfelt than my summary, and when I read it, I was again impressed with how these people are really trying to move the industry forward.    And again, as far as I know, he did this completely out of the blue because of the social climate and reflection on BLM, equality, etc, not because a hit piece like this was coming out.  I'd wager that Aaron's post on Instagram and Twitter were the impetus for this very hit piece.

To summarize my long-windedness...….I think this article sucks and it just proves that no good deed goes unpunished.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bart said:

To summarize my long-windedness...….I think this article sucks and it just proves that no good deed goes unpunished.

The comment section is even worse than the article...though this is likely true for any article with a comment section.

1 hour ago, dcs said:

Does this behavior occur at your workplace?

What behavior?  As far as I know, all of my female coworkers wear bras.  And if anyone is dressed in an unprofessional manor, you better believe some management type would intervein. 

If you're talking about the other allegations in the article, yeah, I'm sure it does to some degree.  Probably not as bad as in the restaurant industry, but there's a reason I'm required to take sexual harassment training and EEO and anti discrimination and ethics training every year.  Then again, I work in a very regimented, rules orientated world where damn near everything has an instruction or directive or manual to dictate behavior.

It's very easy to get all holier than thou, and look down your nose at someone who is genuinely trying to change the world (offering health care, and child care and gym memberships, and change the restaurant culture) when things don't go completely smoothly, and bad behavior still exists, but this is the restaurant industry after all.  This type of behavior pretty much comes with the territory*. 

No, I'm not condoning it.  No, I'm not excusing it.  I'm simply stating what is well documented.  Bourdain practically celebrated the sex and drugs and debauchery lifestyle of restaurant workers in Kitchen Confidential 20 years ago.  Again, that doesn't make harassment acceptable, but the article attacked the one guy** who was proactively trying to improve conditions for his employees on many fronts.  There were flaws and problems with the execution, and he admitted them and strives to do better.  How many thousands of restaurants are operating the exact same way they did 20, 30, 50 years ago?

Anyhow, I look forward to a follow up article where they do a giant expose' on how someone's gym membership wasn't automatically renewed and they had to miss their Tuesday spin class.

* I'm sure this doesn't happen at 100% of restaurants, I'm just using simple language without a thousand caveats.

** I'm sure others are making similar efforts, I'm just using simple language without a thousand caveats.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, saf said:

Yes. Unless it interferes with your ability to do your job, it is.

Yes, absolutely and of course.

I literally (and I do mean -literally-) started to write a caveat to cover this but I deleted it because I thought my post was already too long. 

• Like 1

At the supple, puberty tickled age of 13, I had a glorious lunch with my father in Paris and the server was wearing an open-cup bra that exquisitely propped her perky crimson nipples and lambskin-soft breasts against a sinister veil of white polyester. As I matured, I hoped it was linen.  It was one of the greatest dining experiences of my life.  I had peach Melba for dessert and a priapism that lasted for days.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

This radical liberal forgot all about the DCist story until I came here to write up a recent Rose's At Home dinner we ordered. It's amusing to me because I am usually one of the first in line to write off businesses with problematic owners and chefs. Not sure the lack of impact that DCist story had on me speaks more about me or Aaron Silverman.

Back to the food, we had Rose's At Home delivered to our place last week. The current menu, which ends this week, consisted of a night called TOMATOES ONLY and another night PICNIC PACK. A third night option would have been ROSE'S CLASSICS (spicy jerk chicken being the entree), but we weren't ready to spend $250 on the three night menu. The delivery itself was smooth and everything was packed very thoughtfully and the prep instructions were very easy to follow. 

The TOMATOES ONLY menu consisted of green tomato panzanella with sourdough and anchovy, rigatoni all'Amartriciana, and burnt cheesecake with tomato caramel. This meal was fantastic. The green tomato panzanella was really refreshing and perfectly balanced. While the rigatoni was not a classic all'Amatriciana, it was still very tasty. Finally the cheesecake was super, not too dense or rich, and the tomato caramel was a unique and delicious accompaniment 

Unfortunately, PICNIC PACK was a big letdown after the success of the previous night. The menu included a wedge salad, smoked pork with mustard, sauteed greens, and vinegar pasta salad, and chocolate pudding. The wedge salad was fine, but not something we savored like we did the previous night's panzanella. The smoked pork was very good and we loved the mustard that came with it but the sauteed greens were just very simple mustard greens any seasoning. Putting the mustard on it helped a lot. We did not like the vinegar pasta salad at all. It reminded me of the tubs of pasta salad I see at Safeway, and not in a good way. It wasn't bad if you like that kind of pasta salad but it wasn't our taste. The chocolate pudding was the best part of the evening and I can't say a critical word about that. 

I'm glad we tried Rose's At Home, but it will really have to take a mind blowing menu for us to order again. 

Has anyone been here recently?  I just checked their website and I'm perplexed by many things. 

First:  The regular menu has been replaced by the "choose your adventure" menu.  This menu has no prices and the "adventure" is that each person gets to pick two items on the list.  I suppose this is nice for a group, but what do you do if you're a single diner who wants three items or a couple who wants five?  I'm sure they have a solution for that, but why leave us guessing?!?!

Not only are there no prices for individual items, but there is no price for the "choose your adventure" meal which appears to be the only way to dine there now.  Again, why the mystery here?  

Second:  I was looking into to making a reservation there for three people but they don't allow it!!!  You can make a reservation for one, two, four, five or six but not three.  Wut?

Third:  In trying and failing to make a reservation for three on their Tock page, I found the price for the Choose Your Adventure meal.  It's 75 bucks!!  Before drinks, tax and tip!!  (as far as I could tell).   That's 100 bucks with just tax and tip!  Probably closer to $150 if you get a drink or two.  

I long for the days when they advertised as being a neighborhood place where you could come in everyday (their words IIRC) and get a meal.

Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky but close to $150 per person for a meal seems a lot closer to a special occasion place than neighborhood joint to grab a quick bite.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

We're planning to dine at Rose's next week for the first time in years. It used to seem pretty affordable for the experience back in ye olde a la carte days but with "choose your own adventure" I'm pre-calculating that this is probably going to cost about $275* for a weeknight dinner for two and... 😲. Clearly I have not been dining out much lately.

Has anyone been to the restaurant recently? Thoughts on the current in-person experience? It's odd to see such a long gap between posts for Rose's, that's for sure.

*I'm calculating this with a 20% or so tip but not a service charge because I've been unable to figure out whether they add a service charge beyond the prix fixe price. There's nothing on their website or Resy addressing this that I can find. I could contact the restaurant, I suppose, instead of speculating online ^_^, or just roll with the adventure. The $95pp price tag is for a combined 4 savory dishes of varying size and 1 shared dessert. It also includes bread, though, which is a huge plus. I love their bread. We're not doing a wine pairing, and the $20 I included for beverages (at most two glasses of wine) may be too low.

5 hours ago, Pat said:

We're planning to dine at Rose's next week for the first time in years. It used to seem pretty affordable for the experience back in ye olde a la carte days but with "choose your own adventure" I'm pre-calculating that this is probably going to cost about $275* for a weeknight dinner for two and... 😲. Clearly I have not been dining out much lately.

Pat, I haven’t been to Rose’s in a long time, and it appears they’ve changed their business model (has everyone seen Pineapple and Pearls’ emails describing their new dining experience? My goodness - let me know how the party was.)

Going from the specific to the general:

Back in 2004-2005, I was preaching loudly to anyone with some disposable income that dining (fine dining in particular) was one of the best values for your dollar; no longer. Restaurants in general have become painfully expensive at the higher levels. So has everything else, but dining out in particular seems to have really been hit by price increases. Admittedly, that preaching was done almost twenty years ago, and I remember when gas was 39 cents a gallon, etc etc etc.

• Like 4

Our meal was good and the flavors and composition fairly typical of Rose's (and the other restaurants in the group), but the feeling of the experience and hospitality were different to me than pre-pandemic. (I was last in there in the summer of 2019.)

They use plain white plates and servingware now. I'm not sure when that changed, but I missed the old mismatched Grandma's china plates and serving pieces with the retro patterns and designs. Maybe it changed a long time ago and I forgot, but that difference struck me for some reason. Relying on memory again, but the chef's counter appears to have been moved farther back from the kitchen, or the space was reconfigured somehow. I can't put my finger on what changed, but I've sat at that counter numerous times, and it seemed cozier than it looks now, closer to where they're working. (We sat in the dining room but near there.)

The amount of food was...just barely enough. This is the current menu. The two largest courses of five were the mainstay pork and lychee salad--which is served as two moderate portions in separate white bowls--and the dessert, a baklava sundae. The other three portions were tasting menu-sized, beautifully presented, but skimpy for sharing between two people.

The lychee salad is listed near the beginning of the menu but was double-sized. Even one bowl of that was larger than some other courses, so I'm not really sure the guidance on sizes from the menu construction is too helpful. The other item from the early/smaller part of the menu that we ordered was caramelized cauliflower, which seemed more charred than caramelized, but it was fine.

The miso-glazed short rib (listed as the second largest course on the menu) would have been at home served in the kitchen of a miniature doll house. The beef (I'm assuming probably sous vide) was falling apart tender and luscious. It was plated on a very thin potato puree, with what seemed like mini baby bok choy on top. (I couldn't understand the explanation of what the greenery was.) There was an almond-sized dollop of wasabi on the side of the plate for the potatoes. I got that all to myself, and it was fabulous mixed with the potatoes. Great dish, just tiny. (It's listed as an homage to other chefs, so maybe that's part of what I'm  missing.)

That was the last savory course and first course where they changed out our plates and silverware. It was odd to be sitting with dirty plates and have to keep serving each new course onto them. There was also a scarcity of serving utensils.

The Colonne Pompeii (columns of pasta with hazelnut pesto) was my favorite dish and I would have liked more of it. There were IIRC four columns of pasta and excess pesto that would have been good to utilize on something else, like maybe bread.

Second favorite was the baklava ice cream part of the dessert. The only weakness in the sundae was a honey drizzled in that was too floral (?) for me and lent a jarring note. The ice cream (there may have been 4 scoops) was delicious.

The bread course was two nice biscuits (which I think might have had some cornmeal but I didn't get a chance to ask) to go with fried chicken butter. I think I've had that butter before and it's OK. (My husband hated it.) I get that the chicken is a concept thing to go with the biscuits, but IMO it's not the most successful concept,

This was included, but bread always was. I also missed the extra food they'd bring out, gratis, beyond what you ordered. I did notice some other tables got some food  gifts, though. One of our neighbors asked about ordering extra food and was told it could be done a la carte.

I was $8 off (low) in my estimate of the cost, since the 2 beers were only a total of $12. So, that part was a bargain! Dining out is more expensive now, but the jump here was just a lot. As Don mentioned, above, times have changed and they've changed their business model.  I'm glad I got to enjoy fairly affordable meals here for so long, just for the extra cost of waiting in line.

Coincidentally, in looking through some old posts on the thread, I noticed this comment from me on 9/20/18, which speaks to that point, and it stands. They've evolved their business model which, given the current state of things, means they're still in business and filling the restaurant. I couldn't have gone there and written this if they hadn't.

Link to the post because I messed up doing the quote :rolleyes:

They are good at evolving their business model based on changing circumstances (i.e., people realized how they could get de facto reservations by standing in line and now the restaurant is adapting).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

It's $125pp with tax and tip without beverages, and the food portions are small?  If they're gonna charge that much, they should make sure people leave stuffed and happy.

It's kind of like a tasting menu but it's not. That makes it a little puzzling. The short rib dish seemed like something from Pineapple and Pearls. Excellent but different, given the menu construction.

Very rarely have I left there without carrying food home. We ate every last bit, except for maybe some of the pesto and other sauces that clung to the serving vessels. We had an enjoyable enough time, but it was pricey (which, of course, we knew going in).

Looking at their landing page on Resy, changes are coming in a few weeks:

"Dinner is currently $95/person. Starting July 1st, we will be transitioning from our current menu where you pick 2 dishes per person plus dessert to a five-course "choose your own adventure" menu priced at $105/person.

What does this mean? It means we are gonna cook some awesome food for you and you will get to pick most of your dishes along the way. Just like a choose your own adventure book! Check out our website www.rosesluxury.com for a sample menu!

Also, as of July 1, we will also be adding a 3.5% "I-82 Fee" to all checks. This fee will help us cover the increased labor costs that come with Initiative 82, the new DC law (now in effect) increasing the tipped minimum wage."

• Thanks 1

I long for the days when they fancied themselves as a neighborhood restaurant where you could "come in and have a few dishes and then come back tomorrow and have some more".  (They used to have a message similar to that on their landing page).

And adding a BS fee to the bill seems like a very un-Roses thing to do.  But I guess they figured they would soften the blow of a 10% price increase to the menu by adding an additional 3.5% extortion fee to the bill!  🙄 

1 hour ago, Bart said:

I long for the days when they fancied themselves as a neighborhood restaurant where you could "come in and have a few dishes and then come back tomorrow and have some more".  (They used to have a message similar to that on their landing page).

And adding a BS fee to the bill seems like a very un-Roses thing to do.  But I guess they figured they would soften the blow of a 10% price increase to the menu by adding an additional 3.5% extortion fee to the bill!  🙄 

Seems like the “bs fee” was well explained, begging the question - do you dislike Rose’s, or the legislation? If the former, all good. If the latter, that’s the new cost of doing business in the district.

I dislike squirrely pricing and the endless fees.  I-82 fee, service fee, support your local business fee, covid fee, employee wellness fee and of course the mandatory 20% tipping fee.  Just raise the menu prices to cover the costs.

And as Don has taught in past, you used "begs the question" incorrectly.  You are not begging the question, you are asking the question.

• Like 1

Rose's is celebrating their 10th anniversary October 4 - 14, with $150 pp special. I read the email right after it hit my inbox yesterday, started  browsing the dates (Wednesday through Saturday only), and by the time I decided to grab an 8 o'clock reservation rather than 5:30, the 8 was gone. I watched the times for different days disappear as I browsed. I grabbed the 5:30.

Basically, the whole selection of times had been picked over and depleted within 10 minutes of the email going out. So Rose's is still popular! Mostly what's left now are 9:30s.

They promise old favorites,  so I'm hoping for popcorn soup 🍿 😃

Unfortunately there was no popcorn soup. The server said something about how it would be back when the weather got colder.🤷‍♀️ The bread (challah with rye toast and  caraway seed butter with honey) was as spectacular as it's ever been, however. We asked for a second one and ate most of that too.

I'm going to attach a menu. The Fois Gras Tart is listed under small plates but was brought out first as an amuse bouche. I personally enjoyed the pasta courses (i.e., Cacio e Pepe and Stuffed Gnocchi) the most. For the main course we had the Eggplant Parm, which was my second favorite course. Chocolate Souffle for dessert. The malted vanilla ice cream that came with that was fabulous. They even packed up the tiny bit of souffle that was left for us to bring home. For our $150pp+ we had leftovers, plus they also gave us 2 half sandwiches for later and Capri Suns.  I think the meat was lamb but not sure. (My husband had them for lunch.) They gave us tote bags to carry it all home.

It seemed like a pretty classic Rose's experience, except we didn't have to wait in line -_-. It certainly hit the memory notes just right for a 10th birthday/anniversary dinner.

The thing about Rose's that has always struck me is the generosity of the hospitality. That is basically their mission statement. This had that, where our previous visit--which was still very expensive just not quite as much--didn't have that feeling so much.

I don't drink Capri Sun. (My husband drinks them when we get them there.) It's a 90s thing, which tracks with the ownership and management of the restaurant and is one of their distinctive features, along with the pork and lychee salad. The intentional branding has been there since day one. Aaron Silverman knows what he's doing and turns out great and creative food. I'm hoping that post-pandemic they can continue to thrive. I felt like they really nailed the hospitality element again with this. The experience, the feeling--those are hard to conjure.

20231023_150518.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 6/8/2023 at 2:32 PM, Erik Ox said:

"Dinner is currently $95/person. Starting July 1st, we will be transitioning from our current menu where you pick 2 dishes per person plus dessert to a five-course "choose your own adventure" menu priced at $105/person.

From their website/Resy page:

Need to Know
The classic Rose's experience is now a five-course "choose your own adventure" menu, priced at $105/person. The price per person will increase to $115 on February 1st.

Yikes.

So from June 30, 2023 to February 1, 2024 (8 months) the price rose by 20 bucks or over 20% for the same meal.  Again, yikes.  For two people you're looking at over $300 before any drinks.

I love this place and had great meal there when it was $95 but it was A LOT of food and we couldn't even finish the fish entrée (didn't take it home because it was fish and over salted to the point of being unpleasant).  I know I'm screaming into the void here, but I wish they would go back to the ala carte menu, or at least have the option of tasting menu and ala carte menu.