• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,432 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 07:50 PM

iPhone users, follow these steps to create a DC Dining Guide app:

1) Bring up this permanent URL: http://www.donrockwe...ndpost&p=199269
2) Tap the plus sign (+) on the bottom of the screen
3) Push "Add Bookmark."

Voila! Your own free app in less than 30 seconds!

---

Please feel free to contact me with any typos, suggestions, corrections, or comments.

In order to ensure future access to this dining guide, simply become a participating member of donrockwell.com.

Go back and read the previous sentence ten times: none of the restaurants covered in this guide serve a free lunch, and there is a very high likelihood that this guide will revert to being a reward for our participating members even though that means limiting readership (which, by definition, makes this website less popular). Our members - the ones who post here - are our life-blood, and they deserve to be rewarded for their efforts. It's very easy to sit back with a cup of coffee and read through all the content here; it takes effort to write and add content, and I want our participating members to know how much I appreciate them - I can't say it enough. Please register, post in the Please Introduce Yourselves thread, and then know that your simple actions have just supported this website which cannot go on without you - it takes less than five minutes, it's absolutely free, and your information is safeguarded and remains private. And if you're already a participating member, allow me to say thank you - the best thing you can do for us is to tell a friend about donrockwell.com (again, another simple action that only takes a few minutes).

Cheers,
Rocks.

BOLD = Superlative (CityZen, Corduroy, Komi, Marcel's, Rogue 24, Roberto's 8)
ITALIC = Very Good, Excellent, Outstanding, or Noteworthy (less than 20% of all independent (non-chain) restaurants earn this)

I'm well aware of the broad range between "Very Good" and "Outstanding," but essentially, if a restaurant is in ITALIC, then it's DCDining Recommended - at the very least, a cut above the norm. A restaurant of distinction.

This guide deals only within the Washington, DC city limits, and covers about 600 active restaurants as well as historical content for restaurants no longer open. The Virginia and Maryland guides are also available, but need more grooming before I'll "officially" endorse them (unofficially, they're still every bit as useful as this one, and please remember that if a restaurant has more than one location, it's included in the separate Multiple Locations guide (which also needs more grooming, but should be required reference material for everyone - I've thought about taking a select number of restaurants (maybe 10, maybe 20, maybe 50) from there, and also including them here. I've also thought about organizing by category rather than geographical location which will happen when we get funding (maintaining two watches is extremely time-consuming, and both of these features would require maintaining two watches))).

Chefs and restaurateurs: If you think I'm wrong, or am missing something, just write me at donrockwell-at-dcdining-dot-com. I'm always happy to reevaluate (and obviously, just from the sheer numbers involved here, it's a tussle to keep up with everything.)

Diners: Would you rather rely on a dining guide compiled, maintained, and endorsed by one single expert who has spent over 10,000 hours, well over $100,000 of his own money (yeah, it's true), and 30 years of his life dedicating himself to a mastery of the subject; or by a committee of well-meaning 25-year-old interns struggling for day-to-day existence, controlled and influenced by PR reps, who have thrown together a click-through "best of" compilation with BIG, bold headlines, and glitzy photos of Spike Mendelsohn, Mike Isabella, and the Georgetown Cupcake girls?

Because, like it or not, that is the choice you're faced with: it's Eric Ziebold vs. Spike Mendelsohn.

Investors: If the thought of Grouping On donrockwell.com, dcdining.com, and air-dc.com (Association of Independent Restaurants) has your inner billionaire Yelping, you know where to reach me.

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#2 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,432 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

Washington, DC

Downtown (Southwest of 16th & K Streets)
The Oval Room - website - Complex, intricate plates with a virtual absence of cream or butter, Tony Conte is no longer running the kitchen day-to-day
Equinox (Review) - website - My most recent meal at Equinox was the best I've had in years, *but* that was two Chefs de Cuisine ago, i.e., about a year
Bombay Club - website - Beautiful, formal Indian dining with impeccable service, a lovely dining room with linens, a special-occasion restaurant that's not priced like one
Kaz Sushi Bistro (Minibite) - website - Innovative flavor combinations, quality sushi rice, and saucing (yes, saucing) are strengths here
Kellari Taverna - website
Taberna del Alabardero - website

BLT Steak - website
Prime Rib - website

Primi Piatti - website

Heritage India and Zanzibar (formerly Crossroads) - website
Loeb's Perfect New York Deli - Facebook
M.E. Swing Coffee - website - An independent coffee house, roasting beans locally since 1916 (!)
El Chalan - website
Breadline - website
Cafe Soleil - website
Cities - website
Salt and Pepper Grill (202) 588-0666
Washington Deli - website
The Army and Navy Club - website
BonMi - website
Juan Valdez Cafe - website (if you can read Spanish)
Sichuan Pavillion - website
Tequila Grill - 1990 K St. - Closed
Jimmy's on K Street - 1700 K St. - Closed
Restaurant K - 1700 K St. - Closed
Bombay Palace - 2020 K St. - Closed
Olives - 1600 K St. - Closed
Nirvana - 1810 K St. - Closed

Kinkead's (Review) - 2000 Pennsylvania Ave. - Closed
The Upper Crust Pizzeria - 1747 Pennsylvania Ave. - Closed

Manouch's Hot Dog Cart - 21st & H St. - Closed

Downtown (Northwest of 16th & K Streets)
Vidalia (Review) - website - Under (relatively) new chef Hamilton Johnson, Vidalia is executing its classic dishes just as well as it ever has, great bar program
Plume - website - Underrated by the critics, Plume has come into its own, stunning atmosphere and service, solid food, perhaps the best wine list in the city

Bub & Pop's - website - Philly-style hoagies and subs, including a roast pork with broccoli rabe that one chef claims is the best sandwich in DC.
Greek Deli and Catering - website - Open 8AM-4PM weekdays, huge lunch platters, homemade Greek specialties, even gyros are good here
Cafe Promenade (Mayflower Hotel) - website
Malaysia Kopitiam - website
Cafe Istanbul - website
Smith and Wollensky - website

Capriotti’s Sandwich Shop - website

Sophie’s Cuban Cuisine - website
Science Club - website
Giovanni's Trattu - website

Newton's Noodles - website
Rumors (Review) - website
Rice Bar - website
Bourbon Coffee - website - On-site roasting, promoting African coffees (especially Rwandan), African gift shop
Suki Asia - Facebook - @SukiAsia
Tandoori Time - website
Black Rooster Pub - website
Bar Code - website
M Brasserie - website
California Grill (202) 463-4200
Cozy Cafe (202) 887-4922
Bravo! Bravo! (Review) - website
National Geographic (Employee) Cafeteria - website
L.A. Cafe (202) 296-5767
City Market (202) 822-0009

Look (formerly Teatro Goldoni) - website
Camelot - website
Galileo - Laboratorio - The Lunch Grill - 1110 21st. St. - Closed
Blackie's House of Beef - 1217 22nd St. - Closed
Yuca - 1800 M St. - Closed
David Greggory - 2030 M St. - Closed
Asia Nora - 2213 M St. - Closed
Restaurant Kolumbia - 1801 K St. - Closed
Sushi Kappo Kawasaki - 1140 19th. St. - Closed
Teatro Goldoni Chef's Table - 1909 K St. NW - Closed
Spezie - 1736 L St. - Closed
Yee Hwa - 1009 21st St. - Closed
Cafe Chopsticks 1020 19th St. - Closed
Couscous Cafe and Catering - 1195 20th St. - Closed
Town and Country Lounge (Mayflower Hotel) (Review) - 1127 Connecticut Ave. - Closed

Maoz Vegetarian (Review) - 1817 M St. - Closed
Via 19 - 1140 19th St. - Closed
Litestars - 2101 L St. - Closed
Hudson - 2030 M St. - Closed

Java Green Organic Eco Cafe - 1020 19th St. - Closed

Famous Luigi's (Review) - 1132 19th St. - Closed

TakEatEasy - 1990 M St. - Closed

Downtown (16th Street and East)
Bibiana (Review) - website - A major renovation of Luigino, classic Italian cooking with the perfect infusion of modern, half-orders of the wonderful pastas available, one of our city's greatest restaurants

Casa Luca - website - Fabio Trabocchi's more casual osteria, many wines $28, house-made pasta, seasonal vegetables, an important newcomer
Tosca (Review) - website - A great power dining room, complex, elegant pastas available by the half-order, notable Italian wine list

Woodward Table - website - The wonderful chef Joe Harran comes from Bistro Bis, one of downtown's greatest restaurants

Decanter - website - Chef Sebastien Rondier stays on after Alain Ducasse and St. Regis sever ties, a Mediterranean theme replaces upscale French

Mio (Review) - website - After struggling to find an identity, Mio is now emphasizing its roots, a new chef brings new optimism about native Puerto Rican cuisine
Elizabeth's Gone Raw - website - Driven to a raw diet by cancer, Elizabeth Petty turned something bad into something good, sharing what she learned with the world
J&G Steakhouse - website - A lovely dining room with nice ceilings, union-like service, red wines served too warm, reports are that the food has improved recently
Cafe du Parc - website - An ugly bistro, a beautiful patio, good classic fare, the wine list has gone badly downhill

WTF - website - "Woodward Takeout Food," one of downtown's greatest breakfast nooks and sandwich shops, absolutely wonderful
Siroc - website - A good all-around restaurant, decent wine program, caring and attentive service, on a recent visit the food was shockingly bad (even the pastas)
Acadiana (Review) - website - The most soulful of the Jeff Tunks restaurants, with a world-class Bourbon list, still very corporate feeling
DC Coast - website
Noodles on 11 - website
Astro Doughnuts - website
Sax - website
Lincoln - website
Ceiba - website
Grist Mill - website
The Federalist (Review
The Roasting House (202) 393-2292
Lima - website
Finemondo - website
Le Bar - website
Zentan (Review) - website

MXDC - 600 14th Street
Sushi Aoi - website
Cure Bar & Bistro - website
Mayur Kabab House (202) 637-9770
Ici Urban Bistro - website
Georgia Brown's - website
POV Lounge - website - An incredible, panoramic view from Hotel W's rooftop lounge, have a drink, then go elsewhere for dinner
Bangkok One - website
Old Ebbitt Grill - website
P.J. Clarke's (Review) - website
Casa Blanca (202) 393-4430
Shelly's Back Room - website
Korean Food Cart (White) - NE Corner of Vermont Ave. and K St.
Sunrise Deli (202) 371-9810
Juice Joint - website
14K - website
Bobby Van's Steakhouse - website
Bobby Van's Grill - website
The Park at Fourteenth - website
Cornerstone Cafe (202) 463-3911
Sip of Seattle (202) 393-5058
Haad Thai - website
Round Robin Bar - website - A beautiful, legendary Scotch bar with some of the worst food you will ever find anywhere
Gerard's Place - 915 15th. St. - Closed
Ortanique - 730 11th. St. - Closed
Reeves Bakery - 1306 G St. - Closed
Korean Food Cart (Flames) - SE Corner of Vermont Ave. and L St. - Closed
Gyro Cart - 15th and M St. - Closed
Butterfielld 9 - 600 14th. St. - Closed
Gerard Pangaud Bistro - 915 15th. St. - Closed
The Willard Room - 1401 Pennsylvania Ave. - Closed
Cha - 1155 14th. St. - Closed
Posh Restaurant and Supper Club - 730 11th St. - Closed
Il Mulino - 1110 Vermont Ave. - Closed
Mazu - 1100 New York Ave. - Closed
Palette - 1177 15th. St. - Closed
The Reserve - 1426 L St. - Closed
Galileo III - 600 14th. St. - Closed

Potenza (Review) - 1430 H St. - Closed
Againn - 1099 New York Ave. - Closed

Adour (Review) - 923 16th St. - Closed

Tuscana West - 1350 I St. - Closed
Joe's - website - Opening

Federal Triangle Area (Near Smithsonian, Archives, Ford's Theater)
Central (Review) - website - Dishes are clever and visually beautiful, and when they're "on" can be good, excellent service, good wines by the glass

The Occidental Grill & Seafood - website
Mitsitam Cafe (National Museum of the American Indian) (Review) - website - Native American fare, amazing quality given the volume
Fogo de Chao - website

Del Frisco's Grille - website
Garden Cafe (National Gallery of Art) - website
Cascade Cafe (National Gallery of Art) - website
Pavilion Cafe (National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden) - website
Aria Trattoria - website
Lincoln's Waffle Shop - website
Ollie's Trolley - website
Harry's - website
National Place Food Court (202) 662-1250
Brasserie Les Halles - 1201 Pennsylvania Ave. - Closed
Ten Penh - 1001 Pennsylvania Ave. - Closed

Osteria Elisir - 427 11th St. - Closed

Tadich - website - Opening 

Southwest (Waterfront)
CityZen (Review) - Lounge - website - Eric Ziebold is one of the greatest chefs in the United States, the $50 bar menu here is a steal
Muze - website 
Empress Lounge - website
Station 4 (Review) - website
Cantina Marina - website
Jenny's Asian Fusion - website

Catwalk Cafe - website
Market Inn - 200 E St. - Closed
Hogate's - 800 Water St. - Not reopening

Phillip's Seafood - 900 Water St. - Closed

Georgetown

Fiola Mare - website - I haven't been yet, and may not get to go for some time, but *everybody* seems to love it. Beware the extreme pricing on the menu.
Bourbon Steak - website - Beautiful atmosphere, service, and lounge, the food itself can be good but some items are shockingly ordinary, incredibly expensive
La Chaumière (Minibite) - website - Uncompromising French classics, often perfectly executed, charming atmosphere

Malmaison - website - If Gerard Pangaud is working in the kitchen, this is one of the great unknown DC restaurants; otherwise, it's most likely a bust
The Rye Bar - website - A wickedly expensive, upscale cocktail lounge in the Capella Hotel, patio opening to C&O CanalF

Baked and Wired (Review) - website - Better than Georgetown Cupcake (read that 20 times), good coffee, and a laid-back, honest atmosphere, a gem
Ching Ching Cha - website - The perfect place for a relaxing, tranquil pot of tea
Il Canale (Review) - website - currently a Top 3 pizzeria in DC, decent wine list, on my most recent visit I had a Palena-quality paccheri pasta with meat sauce
J. Chocolatier - website - Fresh, preservative-free chocolates, made in small batches with luxury ingredients

1789 - website - I haven't been to 1789 since the most recent chef change, but people are saying good things about it
Peacock Cafe & Grand Cafe - website

Leopold Kafe & Konditorei - website

Unum - website

Bandolero - website 
The Caucus Room (Westin Hotel)website
Farmers Fishers Bakers (formerly Agraria) - website
Pie Sisters - website
Puro Cafe - website
Cafe Milano - website

Tackle Box - website (Review
Bistro Francais - website
Neyla - website
Filomena - website
Sea Catch - website
Bodega - website
Old Glory - website
Fahrenheit - website
Mr. Smith's (Review) - website
Martin's Tavern - website
Sprinkles Cupcakes - website
J. Paul's - website
Aditi - website
The Tombs (Review) - website
Macaron Bee - website
Serendipity 3 - website
Thunder Burger and Bar - website
Blues Alley - website - I can't NOT highlight our legendary jazz club, but let's remember this is a dining guide!
Miss Saigon - website
Bangkok Joe's - website
Vietnam Georgetown - website
Smith Point - website
Don Lobo's Mexican Grill (202) 333-0137
Tony and Joe's Seafood Place - website
Sequoia - website
Dining in North Georgetown
Au Pied Bistro - 2815 M St. - Closed
Cilantro - 3241 M St. - Closed
Sugar's Campus Store - 3500 O St. - Closed
Red Ginger Bistro - 1564 Wisconsin Ave. - Closed
Seasons Restaurant - 2800 Pennsylvania Ave. - Closed
Fratelli la Bufala - 1063 31st. St. - Closed
Nathan's - 3150 M St. - Closed
Arisu 1734 Wisconsin Ave. - Closed
Mendocino Grille - 2917 M St. - Closed
Morso and Morso Express - 3277 M St. - Closed
Hook (Review) - 3241 M St. - Closed
Furin's of Georgetown - 2805 M St. - Closed
Papa-Razi - 1064-1066 Wisconsin Ave. - Closed
Citronelle - Lounge and Terrace - 3000 M St. - Closed (supposedly for renovations, but don't be surprised to see a new location)

Garrett's 3003 M St. - Closed
The Guards - 2915 M St. - Closed 
Shut Your Pie Hole - Opening

John and Karen Shields - 1050 Potomac Ave. - Opening

West End and Foggy Bottom (GWU, Kennedy Center)
Marcel's - website - Refined classic cooking, superior wine list, beautiful linens, Marcel's has some of the finest service you'll ever experience
Blue Duck Tavern - website - Perhaps better now than it's ever been, the foie gras with hen egg was one of only two great foie gras dishes I had in 2012, I still don't like the wine list
Westend Bistro - website - It has been too long since I've been to Westend Bistro, but everything I'm hearing is positive
Ris - website - A classic example of a restaurant that needed to "settle in," Ris LaCoste has a very refined palate, and Ris being excellent was just a matter of time
District Commons - website
The Bayou (Minibite) - website - Bread imported from New Orleans every other day, get the catfish po boy, red beans and rice, and collard greens, homemade desserts

Circle Bistro - website

BTS (Burger Tap & Shake) (Minibite) - Facebook - A high-volume burger house serving GWU and Foggy Bottom, tasty burgers, shakes, fries, and beers
Illy Cafe (202) 775-0800
Roof Terrace (Kennedy Center) - website
Notti Bianche - website
Dish - website

Tonic - website - @tonicatquigleys
Trattoria Nicola's - website
KC Cafe (Kennedy Center) - website
GW Delicatessen (202) 331-9391
Ristorante La Perla - website
Rivers - website
McFadden's - website
Aquarelle - 2650 Virginia Ave. - Closed

MacArthur Boulevard / Palisades
Et Voila! (Minibite) - website - A rock-solid, albeit pricey, neighborhood Belgian bistro, good beers, excellent shortribs, superb desserts
BlackSalt - website - Nowhere near what it used to be, my most recent meal here reflects a big downgrade, the house oysters are not exciting, excellent bread
Makoto (202) 298-6866
Kotobuki (Minibite) - website - A charming pillbox, many sushi items are only $1.50, scallops, flounder and escolar are consistent standouts
Sur La Place - website
Figs Fine Foods - website

Salt and Pepper (Review) - website
Chen's Gourmet (202) 364-8313
Bambu - website
D. C. Boathouse (202) 362-2628
Kemble Park Tavern - 5125 MacArthur Blvd. - Closed

Palisades Pizzeria - 4885 MacArthur Blvd. - Closed

Ancora - (Watergate Hotel) 600 New Hampshire Ave. - losed

Glover Park (National Cathedral)
2 Amys (Review, Minibite) - website - Fantastic pizza (yes, still), small plates, and wine, be careful about long waits
Bistrot Lepic - Wine Bar - website - An old-school french bistro downstairs, the upstairs wine bar is a wonderful place for a first date
Old Europe (Minibite) - website - The best German restaurant in the DC area, with a charming, transporting (thanks, Tom), Bavarian atmosphere and great specials

La Piquette 3714 Macomb Street
Surfside (Review) - website - Better when it first opened, a recent visit to this "fast casual" food factory was no better than Guapo's

Dumplings & Beyond 2400 Wisconsin Ave
Shanghai Tea House (202) 338-3816

Arcuri - website

Sprig & Sprout - website
Something Sweet - website
Town Hall - website
Max's Best Ice Cream (202) 333-1111
Slate Wine Bar & Bistro - website
Cactus Cantina - website
BreadSoda - website
Mama Maria's and Enzio's - 2313 Wisconsin Ave. - Closed
Alliance Tavern (Formerly Enology Wine Bar) - 3238 Wisconsin Ave. - Closed

Blue Ridge (Review) - 2340 Wisconsin Ave. - Closed
Kitchen 2404 - 2404 Wisconsin Ave. - Closed
Mayfair and Pine - 2218 Wisconsin Ave. - Closed

Bistrot Le Zinc - 3714 Macomb St. - Closed

La Piquette - 3714 Macomb St. - Opening

Kavanagh's Pizza Pub - 2400 Wisconsin Ave. - Closed

Spring Valley (American University)
Al Dente - Roberto's 8 (formerly Roberto's 4)website - An incredibly impressive Italian menu, even on Roberto Donna's nights off, the kitchen is deftly run by his sous chef
DeCarlo's - website
Wagshal's Deli (Review) - website
Dahlia - 4849 Massachusetts Ave. - Closed

Upper Connecticut Avenue (towards Maryland)

Terasol - website - A charming, quirky little artisan gallery with a French-style cafe inside it, completely under the radar except to local residents

Buck's Fishing and Camping (Review) - website Once, great, Buck's is now barely better than average, more notable for its design than it's sub-par cooking, Buck's' demise came with using Groupons

Macon Bistro & Larder - website - I haven't been here yet, so this ranking and position is just a holding spot, initial reviews are promising
Modern Times Coffee House (Minibite) - website - The coffeehouse attached to Politics and Prose, caring baristas, very good coffee, sandwiches are somewhat expensive, free WiFi, a gem
Blue 44 (Review) - website
Comet Ping-Pong (Review) - website - The pizza here now ranges from mediocre to good (it used to be outstanding), chicken wings, ice cream sundaes, and wines are highlights, succumbed to Groupon mindset

Banana Leaf 5014 Connecticut Ave.

Little Red Fox - website
Arucola - website
Jake's American Grill (Minibite) - website
American City Diner - website
Dining near the Avalon
Uptown Cathay - 5018 Connecticut Ave. - Closed

Shepherd Park
Teddy's Roti Shop - website

Brightwood Park (Carter Baron)

Culture Coffee - website - An independent coffee house
Meridian - 5832 Georgia Ave. - Closed
Colorado Kitchen - 5515 Colorado Ave. - Closed

Brightwood Bistro (Review) - 5832 Georgia Ave. - Closed

Takoma Park
Takoma Station Tavern - website

Red Line Grill - 6912 4th St NW - Closed

Tenleytown
Masala Art (Review) - website - Sometimes brilliant cooking, sometimes not, kind service, regional specialties, very reasonably priced, badly needs consistency
Matisse Cafe - website
Cafe Ole - website
Murasaki - website
Le Chat Noir - website

Coffee Nature - website - An independently-owned coffee house with good espresso drinks and Korean snacks
Murphy's Law - website
Cafe of India - website
a Caravela - 4615 41st. St. - Closed
Hungry Tiger - 4624 Wisconsin Ave. - Closed
Morty's Deli - 4620 Wisconsin Ave. - Closed
Bambule - 5225 Wisconsin Ave. - Closed

Simply Ayzen - 4237 Wisconsin Ave. - Closed
Firelake Grill - 4200 Wisconsin Ave. - Closed

Friendship Heights

Aggio - website - @VOLT_AGGIO A separate, higher-end restaurant inside of Range, expect this to be a proving ground for further expansion
Range - website - @volt_range 9 different kitchen stations, starting to lose important personnel, reins need tightening

Lunchbox - website

Chad's (formerly Chadwick's) - website

Van Ness (UDC)

Bread Furst - website - Our city's finest boulangerie, the great Mark Furstenburg has instantly transformed the dire bread situation in DC

Laliguras Bistro (202) 735-5097
Acacia Bistro - website
Sushi Para - website
Riedel's - 4221 Connecticut Ave. - Closed
Trattoria Liliana 4483 Connecticut Ave. - Closed
Coat of Arms - 4221 Connecticut Ave. - Closed
Sips Cafe - 4418 Connecticut Ave. - Closed
Shanghai Garden - 4469 Connecticut Ave. - Closed

Indian Ocean - 4221 Connecticut Ave. - Closed
876 Cafe - 4221 Connecticut Ave. - Closed

Cleveland Park (North of Zoo)
Ripple (Review) - website - Honoring the farm-to-table movement, Ripple is using superb ingredients and executing them well, a wonderful bar area for dining and imbibing
Ardeo + Bardeo (Review) - website - A new renovation gives these (now-)combined restaurants a completely different look and feel, expanded bar, consolidated menu, good cooking, merely decent wines
Spices - website

Fat Pete's - website - After losing such good restaurants, Cleveland Park has finally gained one, long-smoked meats, showing early promise
Siam House - website
Sorriso - website
Paragon Thai - website

Fresh Med (202) 244-3995

Byblos Deli - website
Uptown Tap House - website - @UptwnTapHouseDC

Dining in Cleveland Park
Bricks Tavern and Park Bench Pub - 3421 and 3433 Connecticut Ave. - Closed
Yanni's Greek Taverna - 3500 and 3502 Connecticut Ave. - Closed
The Cereal Bowl - 3420 Connecticut Ave. - Closed
Sabores and Sabores Lounge - 3435B Connecticut Ave. - Closed

Sugar Magnolia - 3417 Connecticut Ave. - Closed

Lavandou - 3321 Connecticut Ave. - Closed

Pulpo - 3407 Connecticut Ave. - Closed

Hula Girl - 3407 Connecticut Ave. - Closed (Searching For A New Space)

Dino - 3435 Connecticut Ave. - Closed

Palena - Cafe (ReviewCoffee Shop - 3529 Connecticut Ave. - Closed

Woodley Park (South of Zoo)
New Heights - website - Takeshi Nishikawa has replaced Ron Tanaka, and is reportedly doing a wonderful job. New Heights has a history of discovering unknown talents.

District Kitchen (Minibite) - website

Petits Plats - website
Open City - website
Afghan Grill (Review) - website
Pizze (202) 518-1160
Tono Sushi - website
Eddie's Cafe (202) 667-3939
Mr. Chen's Organic Chinese Cuisine - website
House of Philly (202) 265-3500
Fusion's Alley (202) 986-1010
Zoo Bar Cafe - website
Lex Cajun Grill - 2608 Connecticut Ave. - Closed
Cafe de Paris - 2311 Calvert St. - Closed and reopening under new management

West Dupont Circle (P Street)

Obelisk (202) 872-1180 - A civilized dining room, good antipasti, bread, wine, and desserts, main courses have disappointed me in recent years
Pesce (Review, Minibite) - website - Good, reliable seafood prepped in a European aesthetic, my last three visits have been fantastic, disappointing, and very good
Al Tiramisu - website - Deceptively upscale Italian, homemade pastas, my most recent meal here was great, good bread and olive tapenade, specials can be expensive
Urbana - website
Sakana (202) 887-0900
Panas - website
Scion - website
Marrakesh Palace - website

Thomas Foolery - website

Dining in West Dupont Circle
21P - 2100 P St. - Closed
Montsouris - 2002 P St. - Closed
Aioli Meditalian Gourmet - 2153 P St. - Closed
Biryani Corner - 2126 P St. - Closed
Cafe Tropé - 2100 P St. - Closed
Mark and Orlando's - 2020 P St. - Closed
Stars Bistro & Bar - 2120 P St. - Closed

Uni - 2122 P St. - Closed
Zeke's D.C. Donutz - 2029 P St. - Closed

Eola - 2020 P St. - Closed

Japonè and Cafe Japonè - 2032 P St. - Closed

North Dupont Circle
Nora - website
Mourayo - website
Darlington House - website
Cafe Dupont - website

Le Mirch - website

Mission - Facebook
2100 Prime (formerly Jockey Club) - website

Triple-B Fresh - Facebook

Bistrot du Coin - website
Sette Osteria - website
Zorba's Cafe - website
La Tomate - website

Larry’s Ice Cream (202) 234-2690

City Lights of China - website

Veritas Wine Bar - website
Russia House - website
Black Fox - website
Banana Leaves - website
Odeon Cafe - website
Saigon Bistro - website
Kramerbooks and Afterwards Cafe - website
Bistro Bistro - website
Du Froyo - website
The Childe Harold - 1610 20th. St. - Closed
Etrusco - 1606 20th. St. - Closed
Timberlake's 1726 Connecticut Ave. - Closed
Dupont Grille - 1500 New Hampshire Ave. - Closed
The Brickskeller - 1523 22nd St. - Closed

South Dupont Circle (South of the Circle to (and Including) N Street)
DGS Delicatessen - website - An important new restaurant with great drinks, and the only truly great deli the DC area has had since Carnegie Deli first opened in Tysons
Firefly - website - New Chef de Cuisine Todd Wiss comes from Radius Pizza in Mount Pleasant, Danny Bortnick is now Executive Chef of the DC Kimpton restaurants

Teddy & The Bully Bar - website
C. F. Folks - website - A wonderful, informal lunch spot that brings humanity to South Dupont, a little gem
Boqueria - website

Mari Vanna - website
I Ricchi - website

GRK - website

STK - website
GBD Chicken and Doughnuts - website
New Orleans Po Boy Shop - website
Hello Cupcake - website
Bread and Brew - website
Eli's Restaurant - website
The Big Hunt - website
Fiesta - website
Current Sushi - website
Dining South of Dupont Circle
Fin - 1200 19th. St. - Closed
Sesto Senso - 1214 18th. St. - Closed
Mar de Plata 1827 Jefferson Pl. - Closed
Go Burger - website - Sheepishly not opening
Porter's - 1207 19th St. - Closed
Penang - 1837 M St. - Closed

Tomatillo Taqueria - 1347 Connecticut Ave. - Closed
Casa Nonna (Review) - 1250 Connecticut Ave. - Closed
Yola (Review) - 1323 Connecticut Ave. - Closed

Oh Fish! - 1103 19th St. - Closed

Kababji Grill (Review) - 1351 Connecticut Ave. - Closed

East Dupont Circle (From Connecticut Ave to 16th St)
Komi - website - Johnny Monis is a genius belatedly becoming a superstar, Komi is one of the best overall dining experiences in the Washington area
Little Serow (Minibites) - website - After three visits, my advice to DC diners is this: remember these days when the restaurant (which is worth $100) was priced at $45
Sushi Taro - website - A new, upscale version of Sushi Taro is much more expensive, with very good, hard-to-source sushi. A serious candidate for upgrade in rank.
Tabard Inn (Review) - website
Nage - website
Floriana - website
Mr. Yogato - website
Agora ​(formerly Jack’s) - website

Duke's Grocery - website
Dupont Market (202) 797-0222
Level One - website
Dupont Italian Kitchen - website
Annie's Paramount Steakhouse (202) 232-0395
Trio and Trio's Fox and Hounds - website
Le Pigalle - 1527 17th. St. - Closed
FoodBarDC - 1639 R St. - Closed
Inti - 1825 18th. St. - Closed

Cafe Luna - 1633 P St. - Closed
Dupont Tequila - website - Opening?

Iron Gate Inn - 1734 N St. - Closed, but Reopening under Neighborhood Restaurant Group

This is part 1 of 2 - scroll down for part 2.

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#3 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,432 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

This is part 2 of 2 - scroll up for part 1.

Mount Pleasant

Radius Pizza (Review) - website
Last Exit website - A serious bar emphasizing well-made drinks, good beers, and seminars in mixology
Flying Fish Coffee and Tea - Facebook - An independently owned coffee and tea shop
Marx Cafe (Review) - website

Adam Express (202) 328-0010
Heller's Bakery - website

The Raven Grill (202) 387-8411
Red Bean - 3155 Mount Pleasant St. - Closed

Park View

Rita’s West Indian Carryout (202) 722-1868

Columbia Heights
El Chucho - Facebook - Perhaps DC's best Mexican food can be found at this tiny cantina, enormous tequila selection, $5 margarita on tap
Maple - website - A small, crowded gastropub with an emphasis on good beverages, and simple, well-prepared, Italian-influenced small plates
Room 11 - website - A delightful corner bar with serious drinks and beers - one of the best drinking holes in the city

Pho Viet - website
Acre 121 - website
Meridian Pint - website

Mi Cuba Cafe - website - Authentic Cuban, with Cuban sandwiches that will remind you of Calle Ocho, conscientious owners

Momoyama - Facebook
Mad Momos - website - @MadMomos
Kangaroo Boxing Club - website
Mama Chuy - website - @MamaChuyDC
The Coupe - website - @thecoupdc
People's Noodle Bar - website - @PeoplesBao
The Heights (Closing and Reopening for Reconcepting) - website
Dining in Columbia Heights
Tacqueria de Flores - 3427 11th St. - Not Opening
Royal Blue Bistro - 3113 14th. St. - Not Opening
Rumberos - 3345 14th. St. - Closed
Barrio - 3418 - 11th St. - Not Opening
Commonwealth - 1400 Irving St. - Closed

Acuario - 3410 11th St. - Closed

Thip Khao - Address Unannounced - Opening

Adams Morgan
Mintwood Place - website - Chef Cedric Maupillier is the backbone of this restaurant, now serving the most exciting food in Adams Morgan
Cashion's Eat Place (Review) - website - Changing more and more with new ownership, Cashion's is still an excellent restaurant with a fine GM and sous chef
Jack Rose Dining Saloon - website - Surely one of the greatest Scotch, Bourbon, and Rye selections in the world, recent loss of chef Michael Hartzer
Perry's - website

Donburi - Facebook

Sweet Themez - website ​- A mom-n-pop bakery with beautiful, custom-designed cakes, cupcakes, and other baked goods
Savour - website
Little Fountain Cafe - Angles Bar and Billiards - website
Sakuramen - website
The Regent - website
Mezè (Review) - website
Casa Oaxaca (Review) - website
Las Canteras - website
Madam's Organ - website
Bedrock Billiards - website
La Fourchette (202) 332-3077

Hans Pedr' Kaffe - website
Black Squirrel - website
Smoke and Barrel (Minibite) - website
Slaviya (Review) - website
Mama Ayesha's - website
Super Tacos and Bakery - website
Churreria Madrid - website
Evolve - website
Chief Ike's Mambo Room - website

Napoleon - website
Shawarma King - website
Amsterdam Falafelshop - website
Pi - website
So's Your Mom (Review) (202) 462-3666
Shawarma Spot - website

L'Enfant Cafe - website
The Blaguard (202) 232-9005
Plum Blossom Sushi Wine Bar - website
Pasta Mia (202) 328-9114
Bardia's New Orleans Cafe (202) 234-0420
Lauriol Plaza - website
North Sea - http://northseadc.com/
Angry Inch Saloon (202) 234-3041
The Jumbo Slice
Dining in Adams Morgan
Baci Vini + Locanda - 2436 18th. St. - Closed
Chef's Kitchen - 2418 18th. St. - Closed
Mantis - 1847 Columbia Rd. - Closed
San Marco - 2305 18th. St. - Closed
M'Dawg Haute Dogs - 2418 18th. St. - Closed
Green Organic Juice Bar - 1724 California St. - Closed
Splash - 2224 18th. St. - Not Opening
YaZuZu - 2120 18th. St. - Closed
LeftBank - 2424 18th St. - Closed

The Reef - 2446 18th St. - Closed

Straits of Malaya - 1836 18th St. - Closed

Locolat Cafe - 1781 Florida Ave. - Closed

Mixtec - 1792 Columbia Rd. - Closed

Taan Noodles - 1817 Columbia Rd. - Closed

Pop's Seabar - 1817 Columbia Rd. - Opening

Petworth

Crane & Turtle - website Chef Makoto Hamamura was sous chef at CityZen for years, if he's cooking regularly this should be very good, owned by Paul Ruppert

Chez Billy - website - Chef Brendan L'Etoile has a fun, informal, French bistro in the heart of Petworth

Three Little Pigs website - Husband and wife butchery, homemade charcuterie and salumi, sandwiches
Andrene's (Minibite) - website - Caribbean soul food, massive, inexpensive portions, carryout only, try the curried chicken, extremely annoying website

W Domku - website - The best place in DC for homemade Aquavit, try a fight and notice the nuances between them, loads of character
Qualia Coffee - website - An independent coffee house
Fish in the Neighborhood - website
Highlands Cafe (202) 829-6200
The Hitching Post (202) 726-1511
Looking Glass Lounge - website
Fusion - website
Sweet Mango - website
The Red Derby - website
Rita's West Indian Carryout and Restaurant (202) 722-1868
Morgan's Seafood (202) 545-1001

Food Chain DC (Rental Kitchen Space) website
Temperance Hall - 3634 Georgia Ave. - Closed

Moroni and Brothers - 4811 Georgia Ave. - Closed
Georgia Avenue Meeting House - 850 Quincy St. - Opening?

U-Street Corridor (Between 10th and 16th Streets)
Izakaya Seki - website - A father-and-daughter-owned Izakaya with some of the area’s best sashimi and a very good selection of sake
Bistro La Bonne - website - This restaurant puts Bistrot du Coin to shame, try a Navarin d'Agneau with a Cotes du Rhone
Eatonville - website - Eatonville accomplishes what it set out to do: appeal to "foodies" at a fair price, great bar area
The Gibson - website Better when it first opened due to consultants, this is still a good cocktail lounge, no standing, no lines outside

Right Proper Brewing Company - website - With Thor Cheston involved in the project, this gets initialized in italic
Marvin - website - Elevated southern cooking, good Belgian beers, nice atmosphere, reportedly slipping in quality but the kitchen staff is the same

The Wydown Coffee Bar - website - @thewydown - An independent coffee house on 13th and U Street
The Coffee Bar website - An independent coffee house on 12th and S Street
Oohhs and Aahhs - website - Good divey soul food, huge portions, try baked or fried chicken with mac 'n cheese, a bit sloppy
DC Noodles - website 
Chix - website Rotisserie chicken presented with an eco-friendly twist, quality ingredients, well-made sides

Fast Gourmet (Review) - website

Chi-Cha Lounge - website
Ulah Bistro (Review) - website
Local 16 - website
Desperado's Burgers and Bar - website
The Codmother - website
Mahogany Restaurant & Lounge - website
Lost Society - website
Hominy - website
Selam (202) 462-4758
Next Door - website
El Sol - website

Vinoteca - website

Tacos El Chilango - website
The Greek Spot - website

Diego - website

The Saloon (202) 462-2640
Jin - website
Axis Bar and Grill - 1340 U St. - Closed
Polly's Cafe - 1342 U St. - Closed
Momo's - 1334 U St. - Closed

Coppi's Organic - website - Closed and Possibly Reopening
Station 9 - 1438 U St. - Closed

Tabaq Bistro - 1336 U St. - Closed

Al Crostino - website - Closed and Relocating in 2014

Creme - website - Closed and Hopefully Relocating

Shaw / Howard University / Little Ethiopia (U Street East of 10th. Street)

Eat The Rich - Facebook - Eat The Rich has surpassed BlackSalt (but most likely not Fiola Mare) as the top seafood restaurant in the DC area
Table - website - A charming, modern American eatery in a Quaker-like setting, seafood-centric, good execution in the kitchen, handwritten wine lists

Mockingbird Hill - website - A little bar focusing primarily on Sherry and ham, interesting flights, friendly service, a wonderful concept for DC

Zenebech Injera (202) 667-4700 - I've not yet been, but everything I'm hearing points to a little dive with great, authentic, Ethiopian food

​Dino’s Grotto - website - The next wave of Cleveland Park's Dino, if history repeats itself, expect high quality ingredients and simple cooking.

Dickson Wine Bar (Review) - website - Good wines by the bottle, slightly expensive by the glass, food is very solid if not spectacular, fun, modern atmosphere, try a banh mi here

Axum - website - Axum has been open since the 1990s, a trusted member - a lover of Ethiopian cuisine - endorses it highly after a recent visit
Thai X-ing - website - A tiny, funky, one-man takeout and delivery Thai kitchen, unacceptably long waits, excellent saucing
SUNdeVICH - website - A world tour inside a baguette, excellent sandwiches, in a converted garage, one of our city's best in this genre

Uprising Muffin Company - website - Made-from-scratch muffins served alongside Ceremony Coffee, numerous varieties
Etete - website - Strong in both meats and vegetables, service is sometimes spotty, open until 1 AM 7 nights a week, Etete is a reasonable choice for the Ethiopian first-timer

Dukem - website

Mr. P's Ribs and Fish - Recently moved here from Brentwood - I've never been here, but reports are that the ribs are worth detouring for
Shaw's Tavern - website
Bistro Bohem - website

Kafe Bohem - Facebook - An independent coffee house next door to Bistro Bohem, Julius Meinl coffees served

El Rey Taqueria - 919 U Street

Habesha Market & Carry Out - website

A&D Neighborhood Bar - website
American Ice Company - website
1905 - website
Duffy's Irish Pub - website
Red Toque Cafe - website
Chatman's D'vine Bakery & Cafe - website
Italy Pizza DC - website
The Space - website
Queen Makeda (202) 656-6065
Solly's U Street Tavern - website
Florida Avenue Grill (202) 265-1586

Dining in Shaw
Sodere - 1930 9th. St. - Closed
Brown Sugar - 928 U Street - Closed
A Taste of Carolina - 1930 9th. St. - Closed
Pyramids - 600 Florida Ave. - Closed
Vegetate - 1414 9th St. - Closed 

Little Ethiopia - 1924 9th St. - Closed
James McLaughlin's Food Cart - 6th St. and Howard Pl. - Closed

Cause - The Philanthropub - 1926 9th St. - Closed

14UP (14th St between U and P Streets)

Ghibellina (Review) - website - Ghibellina is one of the most underrated restaurants in DC right now, magnificent pizzas, rock-solid cooking by chef Jonathan Copeland

Lupo Verde (Review) - website - One meal here blew me away with two of the finest dishes I've ever eaten in 14UP - this rating could move higher.

Cork Wine Bar - website - Our city's greatest wine bar, wonderful bar area, charismatic hands-on owners, chef change as of April 24, 2012

Doi Moi - website - Southeastern Asian by the owners of Proof and Estadio, I haven't yet been here, but the chances are it will be very good

Etto - website - I've heard mostly wonderful things about Etto (essentially, very similar to 2 Amys), but this ranking can only be considered an educated guess

Kapnos - website - It remains to be seen whether Kapnos will stand the test of even a short time, but for now, it's sailing along nicely

Estadio (Review) - website - Traditional Spanish tapas, bustling crowds, excellent front of the house, deceptively expensive, cooking has been mostly good with some inconsistencies.

Le Diplomate - website - 14UP's newest Starr, DC's first real brasserie DC since the early days of Les Halles, classic casual French
Garden District (formerly Standard) website - One of the more underrated restaurants in the city, nobody talks about Garden District, yet it's very good and worth exploring

2 Birds 1 Stone - website - A basement lounge with drinks by Adam Bernbach, funding by Mark Kuller - it will be hard to go wrong here

G Sandwich - Facebook - A sandwich shop from the owners of Kapnos, wood-roasted meats, tasting menus, Sunday night gravy menu
Cafe Saint-Ex - website

Posto - website
Masa 14 (Review) - website

Bar Pilar - website

Pearl Dive Oyster Palace (Minibite) - website

Black Whiskey - website

Black Jack - website - The upstairs bar of Pearl Dive, bocce ball court, separate whimsically written menu, late night, and late-late night menus

BakeHouse - website - @BakeHouseDC - An independent bakery with a good, progressive coffee and tea program

Taqueria Nacional - website

Rice - website

Red Light - website
Policy - website

Barcelona - website
Den of Thieves (formerly Hanoi House and Blackbyrd) - website

Drafting Table - website - @DraftingTableDC

Dining in 14UP
Tryst/Diner Venture - 1840 14th. St. - Not Opening
Mid City Caffe - 1626 14th. St. - Closed

Mount Vernon Square (Convention Center)
Rogue 24 - website - Rogue 24 has taken the (old) Minibar, and outperformed it by finishing these novel dishes on a range, great service and cocktails
Corduroy (ReviewMinibite) - website - Open in a beautiful new space, Corduroy is back - fantastic, somewhat pricey wine list, refined, superior cooking, excellent service

Alba Osteria - website ​- Chef Amy Brandwein returns in triumph, cooking her protégé Roberto Donna’s Piemontese cuisine just east of Mount Vernon Square
Seasonal Pantry - website - Chef Dan O'Brien hosts dinners Thu-Sat for only 12 people, book early as reservations are difficult

Baby Wale - website ​- I’m not sure how Tom Power did it, but he managed to open a huge, artistic-funky, bar with a kitchen attached to it, putting out good, simple food.
Kushi (Review) - website - A local Japanese everything restaurant that isn't what it used to be, some meat robata is weak; the sushi was better a year ago

Carving Room - website - North-African Jewish deli, housemade corned beef and pastrami, cocktails, patio, weekend brunch. one of our top sandwich shops
The Passenger and The Columbia Room - website - The bar where the bartenders go, The Columbia Room's pricing is all-inclusive (tax plus tip)!

Coeur de Lion - website
Morrison Clark - website

Hogo - Facebook - GM Tom Brown runs a fine rum-based bar, revolving chefs serving Pan-Latino when I went and had excellent conch fritters

Tel'Veh Cafe & Wine Bar - website - @TelvehDC

Vigilante Coffee - website - An independent coffee house and roaster, currently inside of Hogo, eventually opening inside Maketto

City Tap House - website
Wise Guy NY Pizza - website
KC Pit BBQ Truck - website
Saints Paradise Cafeteria (202) 789-2289
Old Dominion Brewhouse - website
New York Avenue Beach Bar - website

Bolt Burger - website
AV Ristorante Italiano - 607 New York Ave. - Closed
Little Buddha - 455 Massachusetts Ave. - Not Opening

Buddha Bar - 455 Massachusetts Ave. - Closed
Marrakesh - 617 New York Ave. - Closed
Akosombo - 613 New York Ave. - Closed

Ray's City Vista - 475 K St. - Not Opening

H Street Corridor NE (Atlas District)
The Atlas Room (Review) - website - Two recent visits show The Atlas Room as the best restaurant in NE or SE Washington, DC
Liberty Tree - website - I'm overdue in returning to Libery Tree, but Chef Graig Glufling impressed me early on, good beer selection, cramped but attractive interior
Toki Underground - website - My favorite ramen in DC proper, charismatic, wonderful service, good drinks program, wonderful atmosphere, long waits

Boundary Road - website - A nicely stocked bar with good beers and friendly bartenders, an ambitious menu with cautious execution

Ethiopic - website

Granville Moore's - website

A. Litteri - website

The Big Board - website

The Queen Vic (Minibite) - website

Ocopa - Facebook

Smith Commons - website

Shawafel - website

Chupacabra - website
Le Grenier - website
Biergarten Haus - website

Cusbah - website - Facebook - @Cusbah
Argonaut Tavern - website

Vendetta - website
Khan's Bar and Grill - website
H St. Country Club - website

Far East Taco Grille - website - @FarEastTG

Hiraki Sushi & Sake Bar - website
The Star and the Shamrock - website

Sol Mexican Grill - website
HR-57 website - A jazz hall, recently relocated to 10th and H Street NE, patrons can bring their own wine for a $3 corkage charge
Philadelphia Water Ice Factory website
Horace and Dickie's - website
The Pug - website
Dining on H Street
Cafe Roma 411 18th. St. - Closed
Young's Deli 325 Morse St. - Closed
Napa 1015 - 1015 H St. - Closed
Toyland - 421 H St. - Closed
Capital City Diner - 1050 Bladensburg Rd. - Closed
Fruit Bat - 1236 H St. - Closed

Sova Espresso & Wine 1359 H St. - Closed

TruOrleans - 400 H St. - Closed

Souk - 1208 H St. - Closed

Pho Bar & Grill - 1360 H St. - Closed

Taylor Charles Steak and Ice - 1320 H St. - Closed
Tacos Impala 1204 H St. - (Re-)Opening Spring 2012
Chow - 1110 H St. - Opening?

Maketto - 1351 H St. - Opening

Langdon (Langdon Park)

Panda Gourmet (Days Inn) - website
Deli City (202) 526-1800 - Only the excellent corned beef sandwich is notable

Benning / Kenilworth (Minnesota Ave. Metro)
Miss Charlotte's Crabcakes (202) 397-8517
Ray's the Heat - 3905 Dix St. - Neep

Anacostia

Big Chair Cafe Bar & Grill - 2122 Martin Luther King, Jr. Ave. - Closed

Bloomingdale

The Red Hen - Facebook - Regional Italian with talented beverage director Sebastian Zutant, initiated (unvisited) as the top restaurant in Bloomingdale

Boundary Stone - website - A fantastic neighborhood bar, specializing in beer and whiskey, try their chili cheese half smoke, and a glass of their very own Woodford Bourbon

DCity Smokehouse (202) 667-1212 - @DCitySmokehouse
Big Bear Cafe - website

Rustik Tavern - website

Kochix - website
Aroi Thai and Sushi Bar - Facebook

Baccio Pizza - website

Woodridge

The Public Option - 1601 Rhode Island Ave. NE - Opening

Woodridge (Brookland-CUA Metro)

Zeke's Coffee House - website

Brookland (Catholic University)
Menomalé - website - Count me as a fan of this serious neighborhood pillbox, with fine D.O.C.-based Neapolitan pizzas and an excellent beer program

Steel Plate - Facebook

Smith Public Trust - website
Little Rickey's - website
Colonel Brooks' Tavern (202) 529-4002
Brookland Cafe - website

NoMa
Watershed - website
A Deli Italian Cafe - website

Dining in NoMa
Kitchen on K Street - 250 K St. NE - Not opening
Zuppa Fresca - 250 K St. NE - Closed

Union Market

The District Fishwife - website - @DCfishwife

Capitol Hill North (Union Station)
Bistro Bis - website - Perhaps the best pure French restaurant in the city right now, ask for the small list of daily specials, good cheese cart
Charlie Palmer Steak - website - A beautiful, power dining room with excellent service, but the cuisine here has dropped off a cliff, not recommended
Bistro Cacao (Review) - website - A fine French bistro in a quirky setting, great onglet, some of the best wines by-the-glass in town, a little gem
Toscana Cafe - website - Set up to be primarily catering, the outdoor patio here is a pleasant place to dine, a Galileo-trained chef
Johnny's Half Shell - website
Art and Soul - website
Cafe Berlin (Review) - website
U.S. Senate Dining Room (Invitation Only)

Ebeneezer’s Coffeehouse - website
White Tiger - website
The Monocle - website
East Street Cafe - website
Billy Goat Tavern - website
Dining at Union Station - website
La Colline - 400 N. Capitol St. NW - Closed
The Flying Scotsman - 233 2nd St. NW - Closed
Senator Sports Grill - 415 NJ Ave. NW - Closed
Two Quail - 320 Massachusetts Ave. NE - Closed

America - 50 Massachusetts Ave. NE (Union Station) - Closed

B. Smith’s  - 50 Massachusetts Ave. NE (Union Station) - Closed

Yo! Sushi - 50 Massachusetts Ave. NE (Union Station) Closed

Capitol Hill South (Eastern Market, Barracks Row)

Rose's Luxury - Rooftopwebsite - Modern American dosed up with wonderful, caring service, excellent cocktails, and complicated, interesting cooking

Beuchert's Saloon - website - @BeuchertsSaloon - Chef Andrew Markert is making the most out of farm-fresh meats and produce, a fine addition to the neighborhood

Montmartre Restaurant Francais - website - Stephane Lezla has recently replaced Brian Wilson - one capable chef replacing another

Bearnaise - website - @chefspike - Steak-fritesl, Chef Brad Race is working a tight kitchen, good steak tartare (Montmartre's is better), many wines $40 per bottle

Chesapeake Room (Review) - website - Simple execution, designed to make the seasonal ingredients the star of the show, mercifully, no known sous-vide cooking
Belga Cafe - website - Great Belgian beers, good wine list, complex Belgian recipes, my last visit was quite disappointing, sous-vide has reared its ugly head here

Senart's Oyster & Chop House - website

Ambar - website - Something of a Jeckyll and Hyde restaurant, stick with the most traditional Balkan dishes, try the cheese pie, and any of the veal dishes

Sona Creamery and Wine Bar - website - A fine little wine and cheese shop, emphasis on the cheeses, with table service and wines by the glass
Seventh Hill Pizza - website
La Plaza (202) 546-9512
Sonoma - website
Zest - website

Boxcar Tavern - website
Acqua al 2 - website
Harold Black - 212 7th St.
Pound Coffee - website - An independent coffee shop with skilled barristas

The Sweet Lobby - website - A charming, Francophone bakery featuring cupcakes, macarons, and madeleines

Lavagna - website

Tash - 524 8th St.
Pacifico Cantina - website
Levi's Port Cafe (202) 547-6500

Hawk 'n' Dove - Facebook
DC-3 - website
Tunnicliff's Tavern (202) 544-5680
Tortilla Grill and Cafe (202) 547-5700
Molly Malone's - website
Lola's Barracks Bar and Grill - website
Jimmy T's - website
Old Siam - website

Sushi Capitol - website
Cafe 8 - website
We, The Pizza - website
Samphan (202) 543-7576
Banana Cafe - website
Capitol Lounge - website
Dining near Eastern Market
Ellington's On Eighth - 711 8th. St. - Closed
Tapatinis - 711 8th St. - Closed
Finn MacCool's Public House - 713 8th. St. - Closed
Locanda - 633 Pennsylvania Ave. - Closed
Zack's Taverna - 305 Pennsylvania Ave. - Closed
Jordan's 8 - 523 8th. St. - Closed
Ba Bay (Review) - 633 Pennsylvania Ave. - Closed

Suna - 214 7th St. - Closed

Fusion Grill  - 515 8th St. - Closed

Near Southeast (Potomac Avenue Metro)

Ninnella (202) 543-0184
Lot 38 Espresso Bar - website
Mangialardo & Sons (202) 543-6212

Wisdom - website

Anh-Dao (formerly Vietnamese Corner and Pacific Cafe) (202) 546-4641
Crepes on the Corner - 125 15th St. SE - Closed

Park Cafe - 106 13th St. SE - Closed

Il Capo di Capitol Hill (formerly Mi Vecindad) - 1129 Pennsylvania Ave. SE - Closed 

Logan Circle
Birch & Barley (Review) - website - The same beer selection as ChurchKey (piped down from above), but with refined, elegant cuisine coming from Kyle Bailey

B Too - website - From the owners of Belga Cafe, a massive beer and wine list (nearly 40 pages), happy hour specials 4-7 weekdays
ChurchKey (Review) - website - The greatest beer hall the Washington, DC area has ever known, decent bar snacks from a limited kitchen

Tortino - website

The Pig - website
Ghana Cafe - website
15 ria - website

Logan Tavern - website
Veranda - website
Great Wall Szechuan House (202) 797-8888
Commissary - website
Dining in Logan Circle
Viridian - 1515 14th. St. - Closed
Merkado - 1101 P St. - Closed
La Pata Negra - 1612 14th. St. - Not Opening
Elements - Who ever knew? Who ever cared? - Not Opening

Verizon Center West (Northwest of 7th and F Streets)
Proof (Review) - website - A sleek atmosphere, charismatic staff (too many to name), talented chef, and vibrant bar crowd
Oya - website

Del Campo - website

Zaytinya - website - A food factory, but people love it here, good esoteric wines, and an outstanding cocktail program run by Alex Strange (have him make you a Gimlet!)
Zengo - website
Delle and Campbell's Food Cart - 8th. and H St.
Ella's - website
1791 Deli - website
RFD - website
Shimba Hills Coffee - 601 F St. - Closed
Ray - 901 9th. St. - Not Opening
IndeBleu - 707 G St. - Closed

Capital Q - 707 H St. - Closed
PS7's (Review) - 777 H St. - Closed

Chinatown (Northeast of 7th and F Streets)

Daikaya Izakaya (Review) - website - One visit to Daikaya Izakaya impressed me from start to finish, interesting dishes not found anywhere else
Graffiato (Review) - website High highs (including the prices) and low lows (including the pizza), try healthy-sounding dishes, or chicken in pepperoni sauce

Daikaya Ramen - website - A wonderful, hipster ramen house, with giant vats of broth in an open kitchen, try the Mugi-Miso with butter and an egg
Chinatown Coffee Company - website - Independent coffee house
Eat First (202) 289-1703
Full Kee - website
Jackey Cafe - website
New Big Wong - website
Absolute Thai - website
Momiji - website

Lucky Strike - website
Chinatown Express (202) 638-0425
Dining in Chinatown
drinx - 601 F St. - Closed
LeeLoo Lounge - 521 G St. - Closed
Pho Sai Gon & Grill - 736 6th. St. - Closed

Slices On The Walk - Gallery Walk - Closed

Urfa Tomato Kabob - 740 6th St. - Closed

Burma - 740 6th St. - Closed

Kanlaya Thai - 740 6th St. - Closed

Penn Quarter (Archives, South of F Street)
Fiola (Review) - website - Excellent but heavy cuisine, genuinely caring staff, thoughtful beverage program, fine bar albeit with some key staff turnover, Fiola has become extraordinarily expensive, perhaps too expensive, for its own long-term good
Minibar - website - I haven't been to the new Minibar (at $225$250 prix fixe, I can't afford it!), but based on the old version, this is surely a special experience
The Source (Minibite) - website - A new Izakaya theme will make downstairs the place to be, well-executed Pan-Asian from a talented chef, cordial, attentive service
701 Restaurant - website - A large restaurant with an upscale atmosphere, a great menu, and a good beverage program, recent chef change

The Partisan - website - Yet another opening from NRG featuring talented chefs Nathan Anda and Ed Witt, great beers and the best charcuterie of any restaurant in the area

Barmini - website - A beautiful sea of white, featuring outstanding cocktails and “bar snacks” nearly their equal, very much Minibar “in spirit"
Cedar (Minibite) - website - The "sleeper" restaurant in Penn Quarter, Cedar deserves more recognition than it gets, seasonal cooking that integrates vegetables very nicely

NoPa Kitchen + Bar - website

Oyamel - website

Social Reform - website

Sei - website

Poste - website

Asia Nine - website
Co Co Sala - website
Hill Country - website
District of Pi - website
The Hamilton - website - Owned by the Clyde's Group, one of our city's important venues for live music, better food than you'd expect
District Chophouse - website
Bistro d'Oc - website
Merzi - website
Carmine's - website
Cuba Libre - website
Andale - 401 7th. St. - Closed
Signatures - 801 Pennsylvania Ave. - Closed
Le Paradou - 601 Pennsylvania Ave. - Closed
D'Acqua - 801 Pennsylvania Ave. - Closed
Wagamama - 418 7th. St. - Not Opening
Manhattan Deli - 801 Pennsylvania Ave. - Closed
Hot Potato Cafe - 614 E St. - Closed

Meatballs - 624 E St. - Closed
Cafe Atlantico - 405 8th St. - Closed 
Zola - 800 F St. - Closed

Azur - website - Closed for a concept change

• rockcreek likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users