Garrett's, Railroad-Themed Tavern on 30th and M Street in Georgetown - Closed

According to the new signage, it will now be called Rialto.  I assume that means Italian.  My short stroll down M Street today also revealed a new thai and sushi place going in where the infamous Garrett's used to be and a new wine bar called Eno on the corner of the Four Seasons driveway entrance. 

Was Garrett's named after Garrett County, Maryland? I always half-assumed so because of the railroad motif, and was in love with the place because my mom was born and raised in Kempton.

One recollection of Garretts.  I went there while young with two work colleagues.  Both were big guys and worked out.  One was gynormous...pro football sized, and worked out/lifting weights all the time.

Three guys ordering hamburgers and beers.   Four burgers were ordered.  The waitstaff person asked if a 4th was joining us.  The gynormous guy said with a resigned voice they were both for him.   As I recall Garretts had large burgers.

I witnessed that colleague doing that time after time after time but Garretts was the first time.

(lesson--lifting all the time to be huge ends up costing a lot in food)

Not only were the burgers large they were good.    But that was long ago.

Ah Garretts;  my first "local" in DC the summer of 1987, before I knew better.  Never ate there, would get faced nearly every Friday afternoon after the last law class at GW, drinking pints of Rolling Rock.  Would slip the bartender 5 bucks to play the new alternative cassette I had just purchased at Tower Records.  My buddies and I would stagger out of there around 8 o'clock, grab a couple of slices at the disgusting pizza takeout place on M Street with the bouncer standing in front, and stagger across the bridge to Arlington.   Glory days :)

Ah Garretts;  my first "local" in DC the summer of 1987, before I knew better.  Never ate there, would get faced nearly every Friday afternoon after the last law class at GW, drinking pints of Rolling Rock.  Would slip the bartender 5 bucks to play the new alternative cassette I had just purchased at Tower Records.  My buddies and I would stagger out of there around 8 o'clock, grab a couple of slices at the disgusting pizza takeout place on M Street with the bouncer standing in front, and stagger across the bridge to Arlington.   Glory days :)

If only we could stay young forever!  :lol:

Ah Garretts;  my first "local" in DC the summer of 1987, before I knew better.  Never ate there, would get faced nearly every Friday afternoon after the last law class at GW, drinking pints of Rolling Rock.  Would slip the bartender 5 bucks to play the new alternative cassette I had just purchased at Tower Records.  My buddies and I would stagger out of there around 8 o'clock, grab a couple of slices at the disgusting pizza takeout place on M Street with the bouncer standing in front, and stagger across the bridge to Arlington.   Glory days 

And that bartender may have been my law school classmate/friend Chris who worked there to make coin for tuition.  Spent many an evening there as well, free shots included.

Maybe it's my furlough-brain, but wasn't an owner also a Provost of GWU?

I vaguely remember her mentioning Garrett's in the context of owning it and thinking she had a good work/life balance.

I don't think so. When I used to go there (which was a lot, in the mid-90s) the owners at the time were Julie and Tracy (who is mentioned in this article, which also has some interesting history on the building). If I remember correctly, Tracy bought out Julie at some point. I don't think either was ever a Provost at GWU.

When Sam and Joe were cooking, the seafood chowder was outstanding and the (fresh roasted) turkey reuben or club were some of my favorite sandwiches in town.