Oliver Speck's Eats & Drinks, A Rebranding of Vino Rossina in the Bagby Building at Harbor East

I didnt realize it is Jesse's place. I have to say, I havent heard a thing about it . For a second, I was kinda excited. Looking at the website, it looks like a place for the convetioneers... I doubt I will try it.

I just checked the Web site for the first time and must say I am disappointed to find that charcuterie is misspelled. Also that the fonts are not uniform. Hey, I'm a graphic designer - so sue me.

I'll probably check the place out at some point in the future.

Spent a debaucherous night in Baltimore over the weekend and was lucky enough to pop into Oliver Speck's for an early dinner at the bar.

Details are a bit murky, but it was a well designed space with wine bottles and pickles in racks all over the place. The Pulled Pork sandwich was excellent, as were the housemade pickles. The bartender was very friendly, and beside the bar on the chalkboard was a list of signature cocktails. Sadly, I believe a sampled them ALL, and vaguely remember being duly impressed. I had some kind of mojito with candied bacon and apricot that was very good. The Berry, Berry Bubbler made with a rhubarb syrup and a bunch of other stuff was very tasty indeed.

Website here and definitely worth a try if you are in the 'hood. Pro-tip: To maximize your enjoyment, don't drink every cocktail on the menu.

Spent a debaucherous night in Baltimore over the weekend and was lucky enough to pop into Oliver Speck's for an early dinner at the bar.

Details are a bit murky, but it was a well designed space with wine bottles and pickles in racks all over the place. The Pulled Pork sandwich was excellent, as were the housemade pickles. The bartender was very friendly, and beside the bar on the chalkboard was a list of signature cocktails. Sadly, I believe a sampled them ALL, and vaguely remember being duly impressed. I had some kind of mojito with candied bacon and apricot that was very good. The Berry, Berry Bubbler made with a rhubarb syrup and a bunch of other stuff was very tasty indeed.

Website here and definitely worth a try if you are in the 'hood. Pro-tip: To maximize your enjoyment, don't drink every cocktail on the menu.

Here's The Baltimore Sun's article detailing the metamorphosis from Vino Rosina into Oliver Speck's.

That article makes me cringe - it implies that Oliver Speck's is a "concept" designed to fit into the Harbor East market. Nothing new there, I suppose (think about any of 100 new restaurants that have opened in DC this year), but when you actually see it in print, it hurts.

*This* is why I love The Red Hen - they're doing what they *want* to do; not what they think they should be doing.

It's also why I love donrockwell.com. :)

That article makes me cringe - it implies that Oliver Speck's is a "concept" designed to fit into the Harbor East market. Nothing new there, I suppose (think about any of 100 new restaurants that have opened in DC this year), but when you actually see it in print, it hurts.

I took it as they were doing something (as a small plate wine bar) that everyone else was doing as well, so they changed the concept to something that was not available in the area and that they enjoyed doing. That's smart business, as far as I'm concerned. If more restauranteurs paid attention to market needs rather than just doing "what they want", I'd guess the attrition rate would be a bit lower.

I would also argue that what the Red Hen is doing is both what they want to do and filling a void in the market.

Whether or not Oliver Speck succeeds or not, who knows. But on the night I was there, it was well executed and charming.

I took it as they were doing something (as a small plate wine bar) that everyone else was doing as well, so they changed the concept to something that was not available in the area and that they enjoyed doing. That's smart business, as far as I'm concerned. If more restauranteurs paid attention to market needs rather than just doing "what they want", I'd guess the attrition rate would be a bit lower.

I would also argue that what the Red Hen is doing is both what they want to do and filling a void in the market.

Whether or not Oliver Speck succeeds or not, who knows. But on the night I was there, it was well executed and charming.

No, you're correct. I was just having a cynical moment.