#1 Michael Landrum

Michael Landrum

hammerhead

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:26 PM

Great news! (Well, for me at least...):

We can finally move forward and complete the long-stalled project on K Street--which some of you may or may not have been aware of--which has been in a weird sort of limbo for some time now.

You see, back in November/December 2012 we were about 90% done with the project--everything but the cosmetics and furniture and cooking equipment pretty much--when during our inspections for the mechanical, electrical, and plumbing phase of the construction (the heavy-lifting, heavy-duty infrastructure stuff) it was discovered the landlord had not obtained permits or inspections for the construction of the twelve story Fire-Smoke-and Grease Safety-Rated Duct which runs through the residential complex above us. This had the unfortunate consequence, unintended, I am sure, of rendering our work un-inspectable and un-finishable.

On the subject of potential consequences, however, I can assure you that this was nowhere near the first of my concerns...

I think, if I remembered or understood their explanation correctly (although I am no legal expert), it turns out they either forgot to check if permits were required before they built it or didn't think they were so went ahead and built it without them. An innocent mistake, I am sure, if it can even be called a mistake at all.

In any case, that prevented our completed work at that stage from even being inspected (as I mentioned above), let alone approved, which made any further work on our end either impossible or unfeasible to the point of impossibility.

The great news is that just recently, they have generously agreed to install a vertical duct which meets all the code and engineering requirements and specifications, after which in no time flat we should be able to knock out all the finish and decor work--and best of all, with no threat or danger to the residents above!!!

Another big plus for me, is that all of that construction was paid for in advance, in cash, and oodles of money to the landlord too in leasehold costs that did not foresee this pas de folie a deux--over a half a million dollars all told, just rotting away in the meantime, which can now finally be put to productive use.

I wish I could say more about the final concept, ...errr, menu, but until I know what volume the engineering specs of the built-out duct will allow, code-wise, I can not commit to an exact concept, ...errr, menu.

I'll know by whether Don let's this thread stand or not whether there is interest here in further updates on this project as they occur--and if not, well then, see you soon on K!

• squidsdc and jasonc like this

#2 MsDiPesto

MsDiPesto

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:38 PM

I, for one, would love to learn more about this as it develops.

A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch. - James Beard

#3 Barbara

Barbara

Heretic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:43 PM

I'll know by whether Don let's this thread stand or not whether there is interest here in further updates on this project as they occur--and if not, well then, see you soon on K!

Well! This is certainly exciting to me, too! Can you tell us just what part of K Street you are talking about? NW? NE? Near the Convention Center? Georgetown? What?

ETA: Just notice the City Vista part. Are you going to be next to Ferhat's fish joint???

#4 Michael Landrum

Michael Landrum

hammerhead

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:50 PM

I, for one, would love to learn more about this as it develops.

Well, truth be told, my coinage of "pas de folie a deux" alone should make the post un-deletable...

#5 DaveO

DaveO

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:13 AM

Hoo boy, having worked in the commercial RE world in DC that excuse for delay makes me cringe.  Not knowing that one is supposed to get permits for a 12 story exhaust duct in a city w/ endless permits and inspections;   ooooof....not knowing.  hard to believe.   I worked through some occasional big problems w/ construction.   Somebody(s) messed up big time somewhere down the chain.  Moreover if they were thinking restaurant on the first floor with a 12 story duct....somebody is giving you the ole' buffalo shuffle.   

Oh well.   Good luck.  My antiquated knowledge of zoning suggests that 12 stories has to be located somewhere centralish in the downtown city and K street as opposed to Georgetownish or nearer Capitol Hill but zoning laws and trading air rights and newer rules I know nothing about and stuff like that could suggest more location possibilities.  

Where is this new restaurant to be?   And good luck.   and btw:  whatever menu you are considering a top quality protected duct of that nature should accommodate the big and greasy popular samwhich.  

I suspect that would be popular whatever the menu.   ;)

#6 RWBooneJr.

RWBooneJr.

Convenience Store

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

... it was discovered the landlord had not obtained permits or inspections for the construction of the twelve story Fire-Smoke-and Grease Safety-Rated Duct which runs through the residential complex above us ...

Rather than building a twelve-story duct, couldn't they just vent the exhaust into a nearby law firm?

• squidsdc likes this

#7 DaveO

DaveO

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

Rather than building a twelve-story duct, couldn't they just vent the exhaust into a nearby law firm?

that is a great reference.  In a different journal it generated these limericks and a strong challenge to the big firm's legal attack:

Jul 23, 2010 10:43 AM CDT

I believe this calls for limericks.

Odiferous fumes from defendant were oozing
and caused, said the plaintiff, our snoozing!
But having won an injunction
wondered head partner, at luncheon
Have we any other excuses for losing?

GULC-2L
Jul 23, 2010 1:42 PM CDT

I get distracted when I smell burgers before lunch too.

BMF
Jul 25, 2010 10:02 PM CDT

Due to air intake congestion
the firm was faced with the question:
If associates can’t function
should we seek an injunction
before fumes stimulate their digestion?

BIG E
Jul 30, 2010 10:53 AM CDT

Times must be really tough for the warriors at Steptoe when you have to sue to get a free lunch!  As a former Steptoe lawyer, I am deeply upset by my former partners’ obsession with what goes on between the buns!  I am considering lending a hand to the burger dude on a pro bono basis to both satisfy pro bono requirements in the city and to stand for the proposition that hamburgers must be safe everywhere!  To me this all bull-lips and we should all go back to work on constitutional matters, representing those in need of a voice in Court, and to defending the rights we so dearly enjoy!  There is no right to a free lunch Steptoe!  Perhaps this is just another hotdog grandstanding execercise by the egos that walk the halls of Steptoe & Johnson!  I say try the crabcakes at the Palm instead!

• weezy likes this

#8 Erik Ox

Erik Ox

grouper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:30 AM

Great news! (Well, for me at least...):

We can finally move forward and complete the long-stalled project on K Street--which some of you may or may not have been aware of--which has been in a weird sort of limbo for some time now.

You see, back in November/December 2012 we were about 90% done with the project--everything but the cosmetics and furniture and cooking equipment pretty much--when during our inspections for the mechanical, electrical, and plumbing phase of the construction (the heavy-lifting, heavy-duty infrastructure stuff) it was discovered the landlord had not obtained permits or inspections for the construction of the twelve story Fire-Smoke-and Grease Safety-Rated Duct which runs through the residential complex above us. This had the unfortunate consequence, unintended, I am sure, of rendering our work un-inspectable and un-finishable.

On the subject of potential consequences, however, I can assure you that this was nowhere near the first of my concerns...

I think, if I remembered or understood their explanation correctly (although I am no legal expert), it turns out they either forgot to check if permits were required before they built it or didn't think they were so went ahead and built it without them. An innocent mistake, I am sure, if it can even be called a mistake at all.

In any case, that prevented our completed work at that stage from even being inspected (as I mentioned above), let alone approved, which made any further work on our end either impossible or unfeasible to the point of impossibility.

The great news is that just recently, they have generously agreed to install a vertical duct which meets all the code and engineering requirements and specifications, after which in no time flat we should be able to knock out all the finish and decor work--and best of all, with no threat or danger to the residents above!!!

Another big plus for me, is that all of that construction was paid for in advance, in cash, and oodles of money to the landlord too in leasehold costs that did not foresee this pas de folie a deux--over a half a million dollars all told, just rotting away in the meantime, which can now finally be put to productive use.

I wish I could say more about the final concept, ...errr, menu, but until I know what volume the engineering specs of the built-out duct will allow, code-wise, I can not commit to an exact concept, ...errr, menu.

Hey Michael,

Any updates on the City Vista project?

#9 RWBooneJr.

RWBooneJr.

Convenience Store

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:59 PM

Some news, but no additional details:

Source: PoPville
IMG_3058.jpg
Image: PoPville
PoPville has an update on Another Ray’s Joint, the new restaurant from Ray’s the Steaks’ Michael Landrum, which is coming to 451 K Street, NW, next to Mandu in Mount Vernon Square’s City Vista. PoPville’s photos show that kitchen equipment has been delivered. However, there’s no word yet on an opening date.
Read full article >>
Get all the news at DCDiningGuide.com >>

#10 eatruneat

eatruneat

clam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

I walked by this space yesterday on my way to the gym and all signs point to Ray's not happening. That yellow sign in the window from the image above had been removed for at least a a few weeks now, which had me worried. New signage confirmed my fears as the permits indicate that Mind Your Body Oasis, a yoga/pilates studio and spa, is opening in that space. What a shame. I was really looking forward to Ray's opening in the neighborhood. 

run.eat.drink.sleep.rinse.repeat.

@lamlet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users