Need One More Upscale DC Restaurant For Upcoming Trip

tasdiwine

I would ask what your parameters are: best dining possible? things unique to the DC area? within the city only? casual? etc.

Right. Your choices could run anywhere from Rogue 24 to Little Serow to Rasika to Komi....

Unique to DC is Old Ebbitt Grill, a stone's throw from the White House. You won't want to graze the mediocre menu, but you can't do more DC-oriented people watching anywhere, and the happy hour half-price raw bar is one of the best deals in town.

(If you're looking for something really unique to DC, for example, your Senator's staffers might be able to get you into the Senate Dining Room for lunch after 1:30, but probably only if the Government is still open....)

I just checked with the DC Department of Broken Records and found this;)

Anyway, Komi should also be on anyone's short list of best restaurants, but money is definitely an object there and I'm not sure I'd want CityZen, Marcels, Rogue 24, and Komi in the same week.  I'd pick maybe two of these and mix it up with some of the more casual new places like Etto, Kapnos, Casa Luca, or Doi Moi, and some old stalwarts like Proof, Zaytinya (or another Jose Andres place), Rasika, or Birch & Barley.  Also, while I'm not that enamored with the thought of a formal meal at The Source, the lounge downstairs is one of the better places in DC to grab a drink and a few bites, particularly during happy hour.

I vote Little Serow for a change of pace.

To be honest, I disapprove of stringing together a constellation oh high-end restaurants on a single visit (though Serow is different enough to get a pass).  it smacks of name-dropping and the willingness to put stars and reputation above exploration and the unselfconscious enjoyment of the variety of experiences dining offers.*

Go to an Ethiopian or Salvadoran restaurant, or string together dinner from the Hipster Strip on 11th -- Chucho. Kangaroo Boxing Club, Maple....Get out of downtown and enjoy the fall and the haunts that out-of-towners never find as a palate cleanser.  Your palate will enjoy the break and your pleasure in the other restaurants will be heightened for having gone in a different direction for a day.  And, for what it's worth, you'll add a second dimension to your understanding of the DC food scene.

(Yes, I can be a judgmental prick).

• Like 1

I vote Little Serow for a change of pace.

To be honest, I disapprove of stringing together a constellation oh high-end restaurants on a single visit (though Serow is different enough to get a pass).  it smacks of name-dropping and the willingness to put stars and reputation above exploration and the unselfconscious enjoyment of the variety of experiences dining offers.*

Go to an Ethiopian or Salvadoran restaurant, or string together dinner from the Hipster Strip on 11th -- Chucho. Kangaroo Boxing Club, Maple....Get out of downtown and enjoy the fall and the haunts that out-of-towners never find as a palate cleanser.  Your palate will enjoy the break and your pleasure in the other restaurants will be heightened for having gone in a different direction for a day.  And, for what it's worth, you'll add a second dimension to your understanding of the DC food scene.

(Yes, I can be a judgmental prick).

Although I always enjoy reading your opinions, how do you know this person isn't researching upscale dining in DC for an article? The request was for an upscale restaurant, and you've mentioned name-dropping, passed judgment, and recommended Kangaroo Boxing Club without seeking clarification!

I've been waiting for someone else to bring this up, but no one has.  Isn't Prune in NYC?  I'm kind of wondering what the other DC restaurant is that's already accounted for that's not Prune.  Could that be Proof?  

Plume, probably.

Ah, good guess.  You're probably right.

Tangentially, Plume is but one "e" away from being a non-dried Prune.

Although I always enjoy reading your opinions, how do you know this person isn't researching upscale dining in DC for an article? The request was for an upscale restaurant, and you've mentioned name-dropping, passed judgment, and recommended Kangaroo Boxing Club without seeking clarification!

Guilty as charged.   But, hey, I suggested Little Serow, which had been short-listed by the OP, and gave a reason that I think was reasonable, which I suppose has to be counted as a positive contribution.  And I copped to being a judgmental prick. And, I laid out more reasonable reasons for my opinion.

Guilty as charged.   But, hey, I suggested Little Serow, which had been short-listed by the OP, and gave a reason that I think was reasonable, which I suppose has to be counted as a positive contribution.  And I copped to being a judgmental prick. And, I laid out more reasonable reasons for my opinion, which I suppose I should apologize for having?

Little Serow was not short-listed by the OP, although I agree with you: I think it would complement the other restaurants very well.

You, yourself, said you were a judgmental prick; not me! :)

And puh-lease don't go playing the Don-is-a-dictator card - I was just expressing my opinion, too. Or are you the only person entitled to have one? (Hoisted on your own petard, the best defense is a good offense, etc.) B)

post-2-0-81916500-1380554449_thumb.jpg

Note that I made sure to put smiley faces in this post so you don't take me too seriously :) :) :) <--- those are three of them.

Little Serow was not short-listed by the OP, although I agree with you: I think it would complement the other restaurants very well.

You, yourself, said you were a judgmental prick; not me! :)

And puh-lease don't go playing the Don-is-a-dictator card - I was just expressing my opinion, too. Or are you the only person entitled to have one? (Hoisted on your own petard, the best defense is a good offense, etc.) B)

attachicon.gifopinion.jpg

Note that I made sure to put smiley faces in this post so you don't take me too seriously :) :) :) <--- those are three of them.

If the shoe fits, I'll wear it. I like shoes.

I was startled to see that it wasn't the substance of the opinion that was questioned, but rather the process by which I arrived at it.

If the shoe fits, I'll wear it. I like shoes.

I was startled to see that it wasn't the substance of the opinion that was questioned, but rather the process by which I arrived at it.

It's the same type of thing with China, who appears, at least to me, to be culpable of some pretty serious human rights violations. Do you remember that Tiananmen Square fiasco? That just seemed wrong.