Heading to St. Pete for my next business trip (next Monday thru Thursday).  Staying in Indian Rocks Beach, which I guess is about 25 minutes from Tampa.  Would LOVE to go to Bern's, but I'm not sure I can convince my colleagues.  Are there any places nearby that would be good for more casual group gatherings, like happy hour?  Also, is there anyplace notable for breakfast in the area?  Before we head out on Thursday we like to eat a hearty meal - you never know how long you will be stuck in airports these days!

I am not a big fan of Bern's.  The best restaurant in the Tampa Bay area is in Dunedin at the Black Pearl.  It is outstanding by D. C. standards.  You must reserve-it is known and considered to be Tampa's best restaurant.  Over the the last five years I think we've eaten everywhere in the Tampa Bay area including the Refinery which disappointed us.  I've been to Bern's a half dozen times over 30 years and respect it as a tradition.

When I retired I drove from Orlando to sit on the beach at the beach bar of the Sand Pearl in Clearwater Beach.  I would argue that along with the Beach Bistro in Holmes Beach (Anna Maria Island and they have three tables on the sand...) this is the most atmospheric of anywhere.  There is also a fire pit with easy chairs surrounding it.

Black Pearl and the Sand Pearl's beach bar & firepit are both memories.

Heading to St. Pete for my next business trip (next Monday thru Thursday).  Staying in Indian Rocks Beach, which I guess is about 25 minutes from Tampa.  Would LOVE to go to Bern's, but I'm not sure I can convince my colleagues.  Are there any places nearby that would be good for more casual group gatherings, like happy hour?  Also, is there anyplace notable for breakfast in the area?  Before we head out on Thursday we like to eat a hearty meal - you never know how long you will be stuck in airports these days!

Addendum:  you'll be close to the Salt Rock Grill in Indian Shores http://www.saltrockgrill.com/  It would be my first choice nearby.

I am not a big fan of Bern's.  The best restaurant in the Tampa Bay area is in Dunedin at the Black Pearl.  It is outstanding by D. C. standards.  You must reserve-it is known and considered to be Tampa's best restaurant.  Over the the last five years I think we've eaten everywhere in the Tampa Bay area including the Refinery which disappointed us.  I've been to Bern's a half dozen times over 30 years and respect it as a tradition.

When I retired I drove from Orlando to sit on the beach at the beach bar of the Sand Pearl in Clearwater Beach.  I would argue that along with the Beach Bistro in Holmes Beach (Anna Maria Island and they have three tables on the sand...) this is the most atmospheric of anywhere.  There is also a fire pit with easy chairs surrounding it.

OTOH, Bern's is on the list of semi-finalists for this year's Beard outstanding restaurant award.  I would think it wouldn't be too hard to talk a bunch of colleagues into going there, assuming they are men.  Bern's, I would say, is a guy type of place.

Most of my colleagues are men (I am one of very few females in a mostly male-dominated field), but they are also on government per diem and usually hesitant to crack open their own wallets.  I appreciate the other suggestions, especially since we are going to be close to Clearwater and Dunedin.

In downtown Sarasota, we liked Louie's Modern, but its a NY'ish type of place that a lot of locals find somewhat cold in decor/approach.  On Longboat Key, Maison Blanche is pretty good as well"¦.  but that'd be a pretty long drive & its not that much of a destination.  We're actually flying in tomorrow, but then driving south to the St. Pete beach area.  If you find anything, please post, since we'll be stopping in Sarasota a couple of times in the next month or two.   

Holmes Beach/Sarasota

Beach Bistro in Holmes Beach on Anna Maria Island has 28 from Zagat for food.  It's also among the most romantic restaurants on earth.  Ask for one of the three tables which are literally on the white sand beach.  http://www.beachbistro.com/  I am being serious about this last statement:  the tables sit directly in the sand about 20 yards from the edge of the building.  Watching the sun set while sitting at one of these rivals any restaurant I have ever been to anywhere.  Much of what you will be served is outstanding.  This includes Shrimp Mosca equal to the NOLA original, an excellent cioppino, outstanding grouper crusted with hazelnuts and on and on.  The wine list is a Grand Award winner from the Wine Spectator.

Negative:  it is a long standing tradition that you have to reserve at least a couple of weeks in advance for Friday and Saturday night.  Perhaps longer for the beach tables at sunset.

Overall it is my single favorite restaurant in all of Florida.  We've been going for twenty years and have bult trips around a visit.  About 25 minutes north of Sarasota driving up Longboat Key.

Addendum:  you'll be close to the Salt Rock Grill in Indian Shores http://www.saltrockgrill.com/  It would be my first choice nearby.

Joe H:   We'll be in Indian Shores for 5 weeks and Salt Rock Grill will be right down the street from our condo so I expect we'll eat there a bit.  We'll also be in Tampa with some friends for a couple of nights and will be going to Berns.  Several days in Sarasota is in there as well"¦ hopefully Rieux will have a good experience or two to share before we get there.  However -- any addendum to any of the above posts?  We're going to have time to check out all of your mentioned places and I just wanted to be sure there's nothing to suggest otherwise.  Thanks"¦ much appreciated.

Clearwater Beach; Sarasota

Joe H:   We'll be in Indian Shores for 5 weeks and Salt Rock Grill will be right down the street from our condo so I expect we'll eat there a bit.  We'll also be in Tampa with some friends for a couple of nights and will be going to Berns.  Several days in Sarasota is in there as well"¦ hopefully Rieux will have a good experience or two to share before we get there.  However -- any addendum to any of the above posts?  We're going to have time to check out all of your mentioned places and I just wanted to be sure there's nothing to suggest otherwise.  Thanks"¦ much appreciated.

Thank you, Steve R.  We go back to Clearwater Beach in late April for a week and will go back (again) to the Black Pearl, Beach Bistro and the Salt Rock Grill.  My wife slightly prefers the Black Pearl and I would slightly prefer the Beach Bistro-but I love both.  Not sure about the weather for one of the three beach tables but the dining room at the Beach Bistro has a fantastic amount of "character."  As does the Black Pearl.  We like the Salt Rock Grill but it is not nearly on the level of the other two.  Weather really plays a large role in our decision:  the Sand Pearl has a cafe literally on the beach with what I would argue is the best fried grouper sandwich I've found.  Adjacent fire pit was worth my retirement trip from Orlando for a glass of wine.  Literal outside on the beach ambience.  Columbia restaurant on Sand Key is inconsistent but if you can sit at one of the tables by the water it is fantastic.

There's a great ice cream stand directly across the street from the Black Pearl.  Outstanding carrot cake, too.

Tarpon Springs used to have a really good Greek restaurant, Pappas, that has been closed for a decade or longer.  We've been to three or four other restaurants and not found one as good but we enjoy the overall experience.

We've had several good experiences in Sarasota including one excellent restaurant directly on St. Armand's Circle a couple of years ago.  My problem is I can't remember the name (!!!).  We love the Sarasota area and will return this year.

Have a great trip!

Five weeks?  Interesting to hear your comments about the Black Pearl and the Beach Bistro.

Sarasota

Last night was dinner at Owen's Fish Shack. It was great. Long waits and no reservations but they have a lovely patio out back with a live bluegrass band, fire pits, many mismatched benches, tables, and chairs and a guy grilling oysters. We loved the ambience, it was like being at a really cool friend's backyard party - the oyster guy even gave me a free beer. After an hour and a half, which flew by, we were seated.

The food was phenomenal- we shared a delicious fried green tomato salad, and both has grouper with caper butter, grits, and succotash. Wonderful local seafood. We split a key lime bar for dessert which was ok/ I heard that you can ask for smores ingredients and put them in the fire. That would have been fun. Ambience is amazing, the place is an old wooden house.

Sarasota

Last night was dinner at Owen's Fish Shack. It was great. Long waits and no reservations but they have a lovely patio out back with a live bluegrass band, fire pits, many mismatched benches, tables, and chairs and a guy grilling oysters. We loved the ambience, it was like being at a really cool friend's backyard party - the oyster guy even gave me a free beer. After an hour and a half, which flew by, we were seated.

The food was phenomenal- we shared a delicious fried green tomato salad, and both has grouper with caper butter, grits, and succotash. Wonderful local seafood. We split a key lime bar for dessert which was ok/ I heard that you can ask for smores ingredients and put them in the fire. That would have been fun. Ambience is amazing, the place is an old wooden house.

Thank you, Rieux, we will visit Owen's Fish Shack when we return in the Spring.  Appreciate your sharing.

Panama City

Surprised to see a FL gulf coast topic here but, then again, not really.

I spent a lot of time in this area many years ago, pre social media and pre internet.  Back then, there was an institituion of a seafood place on the beach in Panama City that had the best catfish I'd ever had to that point...and maybe since.  Called Captain Anderson's, it's right on the beach and now a web darling so guessing the catfish is still what it was. Must be 50 years old or more.

Indian Shores; Clearwater Beach

We've been here for only 10 days out of a 6 week stay, so I intend to wait a bit before reviewing most of where we're eating. We've been to Salt Rock Grill twice already, and I suspect we'll be there several more times, as we hardly cook & we're almost directly across the street. It's definitely a very good mid-range place, the kind that would easily be at home in any big shore town or even Long Island. I mean that in a good way. Comfortable, friendly, large sprawling, with seaside, inside room & even bar area seating, and a solid menu of seafood, fish & good meat. More about it later on.

The reason for this post, however, was last night's meal at The Black Pearl. Thank you Joe H. A classic, quiet, table clothed room with proper service, the food was excellent & we had a great time. I did think that the wine list could use some more choices, but it was good enough for us & we got a mid-$50s bottle of Joel Gott Zin that worked with everything. Since very nice salads come with all entrees (& they were very nice, with fresh greens, pine nuts & pieces of Gorgonzola (mild), in a warm poppy seed dressing), we split one starter, an excellent Duck Liver Pate w/fennel pollen jam(?) & a fruity red sauce on the side, served w/lavash. I had the duckling entree, as good a LI duck dish as any I've had (& I've had a lot of ducks). Expertly done thick slices of breast and an entire leg/thigh piece, served with crisp asparagus stalks, some bread pudding stuffing and a small grain rice w/saffron(?). Ginny had their nightly special of Lobster Risotto, which also came with asparagus & a 6oz. Lobster tail atop. Very rich, very nicely done. We ended with good strawberry shortcake w/lemon curd (her) & very good, creamy black licorice ice cream (me). Totally satisfying meal. With tax and over tip, a little under $250. Not inexpensive but, for the setting, the location & especially the food, perfectly fine. Joe H is correct... this is a destination place in the area.

• Like 1

Clearwater Beach; Sarasota

Thank you, Steve R.  We go back to Clearwater Beach in late April for a week and will go back (again) to the Black Pearl, Beach Bistro and the Salt Rock Grill.  My wife slightly prefers the Black Pearl and I would slightly prefer the Beach Bistro-but I love both.  Not sure about the weather for one of the three beach tables but the dining room at the Beach Bistro has a fantastic amount of "character."  As does the Black Pearl....Interesting to hear your comments about the Black Pearl and the Beach Bistro.

Well, after eating at Black Pearl (& liking it, as I've already posted), I was thinking that I'd like to know more of the backstory on the place. So, I did a little looking & found out that, after 20+ years, the owners sold it this past June & it's now run by others. I'm not sure about the chefs. Now it's my turn... Joe H, when you return in April, please let me know if it's the same place/food you remember fondly. I'm curious.

Notes from the 6 weeks we wound up spending:

1- we still love Bern's.  Two dinners there with above average steaks, all the other stuff they give you (I like dinner salads, onion soup, loaded baked potatoes, etc) &, most importantly very good inexpensive wines.  A couple of whites, a couple of reds"¦ details upon request.

2- E & E Stakeout Grill (yes, it's spelled that way) on Indian Rocks Rd. in Belleair Bluffs is described in one Tampa tourist mag. as "a seafood oriented steakhouse".  That alone almost kept us from going,  but as it is highly regarded by just about everyone, we went.  And went two more times.  Its a very reasonably priced place, serving better steaks than most (including a very good prime rib) in very nice rooms with very friendly service.  And a limited wine list that includes some very good bottles with low mark up.  Like a Jordan Cab. Sauv. for $60 (retail is usually in the $40s).  

3- Eating at the bar at Salt Rock Grill became a habit for us.  Nice social place with a wide variety of choices that'll allow you to spend as little or as much as you wish & eat well prepared fresh food.  I don't think it deserves a reputation as a very good restaurant, as they tend to add too many ingredients to their mains (sauces, spicings, conflicting sides, etc).  But, it'd be as crowded in Nassau County, Long Island as it is in Indian Shores & for much the same reason.  If you keep it simple you eat well.  We must've been there a dozen times over the six plus weeks.

4- Fish places that we liked (because they fried things cleanly, had fresh food & were friendly"¦ not because they were anything more than local fish shacks) included PJ's, Lola's, Crabby Bill's & The Pub.  There were many more that we didn't try, but these met our need for both social lunches, informal dinners and even live music (PJ's & C.Bill's).  I discovered "Chicago Oysters": large gulf oysters baked with parm. cheese and butter.  Usually under $12/dozen.  I learned to love grouper served many ways as well.

5- We'd been to Columbia Restaurant in Ybor City and its better than the one in Sand Key, which we went to this time.  The food's close to the same - in my opinion, "good" - but not quite.  But the room isn't the warren of decorated rooms in Ybor City (even though its a nice view of the water, with some nice outdoor seating).  The salad's great, the apps. decent and the mains fresh, if overwrought.  Keeping it simple works here as well.

6- Guppy's in Indian Rocks Beach is owned by the same folks as E&E and is a good choice for a nice medium priced dinner.  We went two or three times and had good salads & fish.  We preferred sitting at the bar for dinner.

7-Slyce, a pizza place on Gulf in Indian Rocks Beach, has (yes, this Brooklyn guy is going to say this) good pizza. A very friendly bar area to eat at (hey, we're consistent), very good salads, good wines by the glass and bottle and pizza I can live with. And, if needed, they deliver.

If you're in Sarasota, we highly recommend the Ringling Museum, especially the circus memorabilia building. And, although I don't much like Dali, the museum in St. Pete is good & worth a visit. And, if you're a tennis player, I can recommend where to play, since we play pretty much every day and even joined Shipwatch Tennis Club while there.

Weeki Wachee

An hour north of Tampa and about an hour and a half west of Orlando is one of the most Floridian places I've ever experienced. In/near Weeki Wachee is the state park with included water park and mermaid show (seriously), kayaking the Weeki Wachee River and beaches. (I can vouch for Pine Island Park. Not much beach space, but nice for an hour or so. No rentals, so make sure you have a towel, blanket or chair.)

In Crystal River (about 30 miles to the north) we used Crystal River Watersports to snorkel with manatees and Three Sisters Springs.

But this is about the food...

Greek City - Spring Hill

Good fast casual on the main road (Route 19.) Two of us had (and could not finish):

The Medi platter which included a Greek salad, spanakopita and grilled chicken breast, and gyro with feta fries. The salad was on mixed greens which included some romaine, iceberg and other assorted lettuces, and had feta, kalamata olives, tomatoes, chick peas and (strangely) diced beets. Although the presence of the beets was odd, they were perfectly diced. The dressing was a bit sweet for my taste. The chicken breast was cut into about four strips and was surprisingly moist. The spanakopita was unevenly cooked (a little soggy on one end opposite a burnt phyllo corner) but otherwise fine.

The gyro was a bit salty, but isn't it always? The feta fries could have been improved with better quality fries, but this was an interesting concept as I've not seen cheese fries with feta before.

Overall, this is a really good option in a sea of fast food chain restaurants.

La Bella Napoli (no website, but I found this write up which includes address and link to unofficial Facebook) - Hernando Beach

We started with the clams (and now I'm forgetting the exact name of the preparation; machin- something or other?) The clams were good and I never found a touch or chewy one. The broth seemed to include stock, butter (Olive oil? Both?), tomatoes and garlic. The rolls, excellent on their own while hot (and not so much once they cooled), were used for soaking up this broth. At several points, we used the spoon meant for serving to sip the broth. I'm pretty sure I feel asleep that night thinking about this dish.

We also had meatballs, a side of spinach and a veal dish. The meatballs were large, tender and moist, and lacking in meaty flavor. The spinach was good, well-seasoned with red pepper flake and if I had to find a complaint it's that too much water ended up in the serving dish. The veal was thin and tender. The side of pasta was offered with the marsala cream sauce with the veal or red sauce. The +1 picked red sauce (I'm not sure why) and it tasted sweeter on the pasta than it did on the meatballs, to the point that it wasn't immediately clear it was the same sauce.

Tiramisu was not good. Avoid.

Another surprising non-chain find. Atmosphere is not great, servers were all incredibly nice, but not necessarily the best. $75 for dinner for two with starters, a bottle of wine and dessert.

We were in Naples in January, and I didn't remember to post at the time, so I don't remember the details. But if you're going to be down there, strongly consider going to the terrific Persian restaurant Bha! Bha! Bistro.  http://bhabhabistro.com/

The food was truly delicious and interesting.  The menu says it's an "Innovative Persian Bistro," which is a good description. (Beautiful room, too.)

Looking at the menu, I think we had Flash Fried Eggplants topped with onions, whey, feta, and olives, and Ginger and Apricot Shrimp, with garlic, carrots, plums, and apricots, and spicy mango tamarind sauce. I also think we had the Duck Fesenjune with pomegranate and walnut sauce, mango sauce accent and jeweled caramelized dried fruits.  We ordered more from the "Innovative Persian" section of the menu, rather than "Classic Grills".

We loved everything we had.

The above post reminded me that I never updated my posts on this thread.  After our 2015 Jan stay, we've returned to the same Indian Shores rental each of the next 2 years & have stayed for 10-12 weeks each year.  And we're booked in again starting the weekend after N.Year thru at least mid-March 2018.  So, since we generally don't cook, we pretty much have gotten to know the area's restaurants & bars (& a lot of locals).  I'm not going to create a directory of the many many places we've been to from Clearwater south to St Pete, from Tampa west to the Gulf beach - anyone wanting to know info. Is welcome to ask & I'll do my best.  And, if anyone's in the area Jan-March... well, dining company is always welcomed.  However, here's a short list of places we return to regularly for good food:

Salt Rock Grill, especially since we discovered that they have a 2nd bar outdoors in the back where the full menu or just drinks is served.  I'm addicted to their sweet/sour covered fish collar app.  By the way, the owners also have a similar restaurant under the C'water Bridge that's decent as well.

Heilman's Beachcomber in C'water Beach.  Old Florida dining, including a live pianist every night.  Classy rooms, non fussy dining.  I love their skillet fried chicken dinner, my wife loves the lobster tails.  We bring guests there regularly & were, ourselves, brought there by Bklyn neighbors, one of whom who has been going since he was a child growing up on his folks' orange grove.

E&E Stakeout, especially since their Wed wine deals can't be beat when had with their steaks or prime rib.

Crabby Bill's on Gulf Blvd in Indian Rocks Beach.  Still owned by the original family (the others aren't) & still a dive bar, a shack, an informal restaurant &/or an outdoor eating place with live music (depending on which area you chose).  I am addicted to their "Chicago Oysters" - fresh large oysters baked with garlic, Old Bay and melted cheese on top.  I've also been known to put away orders of pulled pig nachos, which are huge, cheap & tasty.

we also had some nice home cooked meals at a small mom/pop Italian place that opened up last year and may not last long enough to still be there when we return in Jan '18.  Called Ristaurante Firenze, its way better than it's no frills looks or absurdly cheap prices would suggest.  Think real chicken liver crostini or c.liver w/pasta or trippa florentina done right, alongside fresh ravioli w/daily fillings.

Enough for now.

We had a nice dinner at Dorona, a 'modern' steakhouse in a rather non-descript strip mall, one of a thousand that covers a good part of the territory in and around Naples, FL. The wine list was not long, but the reserve list had some nice bottles that were worthwhile, including a Jordan Cabernet. We ordered some appetizers for the table, and the highlight was a grilled octopus, beautifully presented and very worthwhile. The fried calamari was, well, calamari. I had a NY Strip, served with potatoes, if I remember. It was good--nothing spectactular--and served with a pepper sauce on the side. The other showstopper entree that another in my party had was a pork milanese, a gargantuan portion of nicely prepared thin pork cutlet on top of a nice arugula salad.

The chocolate cake, described by the server as being 'very chocolate-y' and housemade, was not very chocolate-y at all.

Service was friendly and professional enough.